The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

13 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'm not. I think he'll blow right by it and keep playing like he plays. 

That's part of it, but the smaller part in my mind.  I'm a bit more worried about another one.  Not the Skinner "one hit away from a vegetable" paranoia that was going around in some circles, but aren't people more susceptible to repeats the closer you are to an incident? (calling on our resident MDs expertise here) 

10 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I am as well.  And I can tell you first hand the fan experience has gotten worse, not better.  Have to somewhat agree with DB58 though, it's becoming harder and harder to watch the team flounder yet again because we don't have enough talent to consistently finish the chances that are created (at least we ARE creating scoring chances).

I also agree with you that the proof may not come until next year that TD isn't a tight-wad, but we can only go by what is happening now.  On the ice, there is not much improvement in results through 26 games.

Inside the arena I see no change in the fan experience. They still entertain by dropping T shirts via parachute, fire T shirts via the huge jock strap, human bowling etc. No change in entertainment, concession stand prices out of control.Can you imagine two popcorns for $12.00 and one 16 oz. Beer for 13.00. $45.00 before you get to your seat. Bbq sandwich or sausage pepper or prime rib sammy for 13.00 to 16.00. Easy to spend $85.00 for 2 ppl before your parked into the seat. Still crank the siren...No organ player...no change on ice production. We are stuck in a time warp except the concession prices are accelerated.

Edited by slapshot02

10 minutes ago, remkin said:

He said so. There was a quote about it somewhere recently.

Okay. He's doing his job.

Again, I'm not a Waddell critic. I think he's doing the best he can in a pretty impossible situation. I do hope one day he is rewarded with a job at an org that will actually give him managerial autonomy, because he ain't had it yet.

9 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Inside the arena I see no change in the fan experience. They still entertain by dropping T shirts via parachute, fire T shirts via the huge jock strap, human bowling etc. No change in entertainment, concession stand prices out of control.Can you imagine two popcorns for $12.00 and one 16 oz. Beer for 13.00. $45.00 before you get to your seat. Bbq sandwich or sausage pepper or prime rib sammy for 13.00 to 16.00. Easy to spend $85.00 for 2 ppl before your parked into the seat. Still crank the siren...No organ player...no change on ice production. We are stuck in a time warp except the concession prices are excellerating.

I'm thinking that adding in a few gluten free stands would help that out as well as the team being more physical.

12 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

That's part of it, but the smaller part in my mind.  I'm a bit more worried about another one.  Not the Skinner "one hit away from a vegetable" paranoia that was going around in some circles, but aren't people more susceptible to repeats the closer you are to an incident? (calling on our resident MDs expertise here) 

I want KJUN's reply as well, but can speak based on the experiences of a couple of close friends who suffer from post-concussion syndrome: yes. Depending on the severity of the event, increased susceptibility to another can last a year, sometimes longer.

Short answer is yes to the question of increased susceptibility of a 2nd concussion following the 1st, in some reports as high as 30% more susceptible. However there are many factors involved, including the severity of the 1st, and was this truly his 1st, OR has he had others and hidden them or just not recognize them? As we have seen on this team, recovery is unpredictable but it's hoped that with the tremendous attention being directed at CTEs, Pet scans and the like are more sensitive in the diagnosis? There is also, on the immediate horizon a laboratory test, and I've not read much on it, but a blood test I believe that also picks up some type of protein associated with more subtle concussions, thus again leading to an earlier diagnosis.

Amazing as it may seem we are one point out of third place in the Metro. We are  in a playoff race in December. The problem is we have sung this storm before and I'm having trouble thinking the song won't end the same. But it could and we are in the playoff hunt in December. .I want to enjoy this a while longer

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OBXer said:

we are one point out of third place in the Metro. We are  in a playoff race in December.

That's great and about time to get help to gain some ground at least. a couple of solid veterans wouldn't hurt :) 

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Short answer is yes to the question of increased susceptibility of a 2nd concussion following the 1st, in some reports as high as 30% more susceptible. However there are many factors involved, including the severity of the 1st, and was this truly his 1st, OR has he had others and hidden them or just not recognize them? As we have seen on this team, recovery is unpredictable but it's hoped that with the tremendous attention being directed at CTEs, Pet scans and the like are more sensitive in the diagnosis? There is also, on the immediate horizon a laboratory test, and I've not read much on it, but a blood test I believe that also picks up some type of protein associated with more subtle concussions, thus again leading to an earlier diagnosis.

He was previously out for a while in Oct. 2014 with a concussion.  Hard to tell how long because he was splitting time between NHL and AHL. 58 games played between the 2, so it wasn't a half season, but it could have easily been over a month.

Edited by LakeLivin

4 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Inside the arena I see no change in the fan experience. They still entertain by dropping T shirts via parachute, fire T shirts via the huge jock strap, human bowling etc. No change in entertainment, concession stand prices out of control.Can you imagine two popcorns for $12.00 and one 16 oz. Beer for 13.00. $45.00 before you get to your seat. Bbq sandwich or sausage pepper or prime rib sammy for 13.00 to 16.00. Easy to spend $85.00 for 2 ppl before your parked into the seat. Still crank the siren...No organ player...no change on ice production. We are stuck in a time warp except the concession prices are excellerating.

In recent seasons, Mrs. Storm and I have been going to the Arena Club restaurant before some of the games.  A generally decent meal and a couple drinks made watching bad hockey only part of the evening’s experience and thus it all was a little more bearable.  We hadn’t been to the Arena Club restaurant yet this season and in looking at the menu for upcoming games I see that while the prices are the same or maybe went up a little, it looks like the meal no longer includes dessert!  Who elimates dessert!?!  Fan experience changes indeed...  

38 minutes ago, Red_Storm said:

In recent seasons, Mrs. Storm and I have been going to the Arena Club restaurant before some of the games.  A generally decent meal and a couple drinks made watching bad hockey only part of the evening’s experience and thus it all was a little more bearable.  We hadn’t been to the Arena Club restaurant yet this season and in looking at the menu for upcoming games I see that while the prices are the same or maybe went up a little, it looks like the meal no longer includes dessert!  Who elimates dessert!?!  Fan experience changes indeed...  

Red, we are right there with you on this one. That buffet is one of the ways I get Mrs Remkin to join me at some games. The removal of the desert table may well have killed that off for us, which may actually lead to me dropping my season tickets, since I used to go to games with my brother who has moved out of state.  The desert table allowed us a taste of a couple of small deserts and was included in the already fairly robust price. It's not only buying desert that used to be included (which is a factor), but they bring you a huge desert. It's too much desert even if shared, and it's only one desert flavor. 

We brought this up to a manager and she acted surprised and said they'd gotten a lot of good feedback about the deserts. 

Seems like a small issue, and it is a first-world problem, but then again I doubt we go back to the buffet, and in my case, as a result I probably end up buying a lot less tickets since that was Mrs Remkin's favorite part. Hope it was worth the cost savings.

I guess if enough people expressed dissatisfaction with it, they might change it back, but somehow I think someone is in love with their own decision on that one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

I'm still waiting for all the big changes

There will not be any.  Unless you're referring to a new sports practice facility.   If it us nice enough, it could attract free agents.   Unlike what the current practice facility does.

This team is a wild card or close to it atm.  At this point big changes could mean making the playoffs.  Which if that is the case this year.   Then a job well done.

Edited by bluedevil58

37 minutes ago, remkin said:

Red, we are right there with you on this one. That buffet is one of the ways I get Mrs Remkin to join me at some games. The removal of the desert table may well have killed that off for us, which may actually lead to me dropping my season tickets, since I used to go to games with my brother who has moved out of state.  The desert table allowed us a taste of a couple of small deserts and was included in the already fairly robust price. It's not only buying desert that used to be included (which is a factor), but they bring you a huge desert. It's too much desert even if shared, and it's only one desert flavor. 

We brought this up to a manager and she acted surprised and said they'd gotten a lot of good feedback about the deserts. 

Seems like a small issue, and it is a first-world problem, but then again I doubt we go back to the buffet, and in my case, as a result I probably end up buying a lot less tickets since that was Mrs Remkin's favorite part. Hope it was worth the cost savings.

I guess if enough people expressed dissatisfaction with it, they might change it back, but somehow I think someone is in love with their own decision on that one.

Thanks remkin, we’ll let ‘em know for sure too.

11 hours ago, remkin said:

Again, Waddell seems to know this, as he is working the phones, but so far he has had no more success in that regard than the guy he replaced. It's a tough move to make, but it is doable. Time to do it.

What evidence do we have that Waddell is working the phones? I assume he is, but I have grown skeptical of all the promises made by our new owner. Considering how Dundon went to the ends of the earth to hire the most exciting and dynamic front office staff and coaching staff, I can’t help gut wonder if no deal is getting done because we are overpricing our assets or are perhaps unwilling to take back more salary than we ship out. Dundon needs to prove with actions not words that he is willing to invest real money in the success of this team.

For several years, when I 1st started attending games, the Arena Club use to be a big attraction for us too, but that was when they served entrees. When they transitioned to buffet, I stopped eating there as I am always tempted to overeat in that setting, trying to justify the excessive cost, and quite frankly I have never been a big red meat eater. Then almost 2 years ago, and I'm proud of her, my wife switched to a plant based diet for health reasons, and finally got her GI problems under control. Talk about having problems finding something to eat? And since her diet change, I have urged/plead with/even tried to reason with several, and no change. We have started going to Neomonde prior to game, so thats 2 more concession incomes they are losing every game.

6 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

For several years, when I 1st started attending games, the Arena Club use to be a big attraction for us too, but that was when they served entrees. When they transitioned to buffet, I stopped eating there as I am always tempted to overeat in that setting, trying to justify the excessive cost, and quite frankly I have never been a big red meat eater. Then almost 2 years ago, and I'm proud of her, my wife switched to a plant based diet for health reasons, and finally got her GI problems under control. Talk about having problems finding something to eat? And since her diet change, I have urged/plead with/even tried to reason with several, and no change. We have started going to Neomonde prior to game, so thats 2 more concession incomes they are losing every game.

Neomande.

The shawarmas.

So good.

lines need to shuffle slight variation to the suggestion in player moves:

Turbo-Aho-Svech

Kuok-Rask-Necas

Martinook-Staal-McGinn (hit everything)

Foegele-Wallmark-Williams

When Ferland comes back, send kuok or Foegele down plus move svech with Necas and Rask.  

Just now, gocanes0506 said:

Turbo-Aho-Svech

Kuok-Rask-Necas

When Ferland comes back, send kuok or Foegele down plus move svech with Necas and Rask.  

I am of the opinion that the offense will not get better until the head coach is replaced.  This hiring was a mistake.

1 minute ago, bluedevil58 said:

I am of the opinion that the offense will not get better until the head coach is replaced.  This hiring was a mistake.

I think this is a little early for this.

I feel like you had the same opinion about Peters as well.  Is it the coach or our lack of talent?

Peters' team is actually scoring in Calgary and this bunch isnt.

Skinner and Lindy are up to their potentials because they are playing with some talent.

I think it is the roster more than the coach.  We have 1 top line player (aho), three 2nd line players (Ferland, Turbo, and Svech) then a bunch of 4th line guys.  Also understand Svech's rating is current production not potential.  

• Like 2

I feel like I’ve been watching the same movie for the last 5 years.  When will something change?  

Until the team finds at least 2 more legit forwards there is no hope.  Getting some legit forwards will allow everyone to be properly slotted where they should be playing.  Eventually, the front office just needs to take a chance and pull the trigger on a trade. Defenseman for forward.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Turbo-Aho-Svech

Kuok-Rask-Necas

I would love to see this given an opportunity.

13 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

I feel like I’ve been watching the same movie for the last 5 years.  When will something change?  

Until the team finds at least 2 more legit forwards there is no hope.  Getting some legit forwards will allow everyone to be properly slotted where they should be playing.  Eventually, the front office just needs to take a chance and pull the trigger on a trade. Defenseman for forward.  

Players being properly slotted is our biggest weakness right now 

• Like 1