The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

6 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

Players being properly slotted is our biggest weakness right now 

I think we are trying to protect the young guys.  We put them on lines with veterans (skill level match not required) to protect the team/them from their mistakes.  

We either need some pricey skilled veterans to play along the skilled young guys or we have to live with them making mistakes / being exposed by opposing line combos.  

I think it is safe to say the next 11 games will determine the teams fate. Youth, injuries even bad breaks may all play into the reasons we are struggling. Yet after 9 years reasons begin to sound like excuses. If we are in contention on January 1, I will be a happy fan. If not the 3,5,7 year rebuild will be 10. and that will be hard to swallow.

• Like 1

Just wanted to put this out for what its worth for anyone to comment. I started out watching last night's game dedicated to the thought that despite the lateness of the hour, me operating on 3 hours sleep from the night before and ceaseless problems at work, that I was going to persist thru the late hour. After one period, I was done simply from the diametrically opposing elements of expertise I was seeing in the two teams. San Jose, granted supposedly one of the best Western Conference teams this year, was VERY polished in their movements, and both of their 1st 2 goals thru which I persisted seemed so effortless? Teamwork in spades.

Our team on the other hand was extremely ragged with very little apparent coordination, shots from afar and frank confusion at times.

Thus, the question I'd like to propose is, Does this team truly suffer from not having a 1C and 1 or 2 more high end players, OR do we suffer from poor teamwork? I mean, gosh to my eyes, those 1st two goals scored by the Sharks were "gimmes", tap ins so to speak, that most players should make. Am I viewing this wrong, or is this a valid concern?Now, I know one of you has posted that BP's current team(Calgary) is scoring better than he did here, and suggesting that it wasn't him(i.e.,head coach), but lack of quality players, so maybe I'm all wrong in my thoughts. And to be fair, we have seen quite a few gaping nets go wanton for our pucks, but I was very impressed last night by San Jose. 

I don't think the "lack of quality players" is even a debatable subject. The Canes have played a lot of AHL quality players for a long time. Jordan Staal is one of the best third line centers in the league. Skinner was a good player here, but he has become one of the top goal scorers playing with better players. Our D is fairly solid, but we don't really have a consistent offensive Dman. I don't care who is coaching, if we don't have the players, the team isn't going to be any good. They might skate hard, hustle, and be a competitive group, but we need elite skill to be a good team. Everyone knows what chicken salad can't be made of, and we don't have the chicken.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Just wanted to put this out for what its worth for anyone to comment. I started out watching last night's game dedicated to the thought that despite the lateness of the hour, me operating on 3 hours sleep from the night before and ceaseless problems at work, that I was going to persist thru the late hour. After one period, I was done simply from the diametrically opposing elements of expertise I was seeing in the two teams. San Jose, granted supposedly one of the best Western Conference teams this year, was VERY polished in their movements, and both of their 1st 2 goals thru which I persisted seemed so effortless? Teamwork in spades.

Our team on the other hand was extremely ragged with very little apparent coordination, shots from afar and frank confusion at times.

Thus, the question I'd like to propose is, Does this team truly suffer from not having a 1C and 1 or 2 more high end players, OR do we suffer from poor teamwork? I mean, gosh to my eyes, those 1st two goals scored by the Sharks were "gimmes", tap ins so to speak, that most players should make. Am I viewing this wrong, or is this a valid concern?Now, I know one of you has posted that BP's current team(Calgary) is scoring better than he did here, and suggesting that it wasn't him(i.e.,head coach), but lack of quality players, so maybe I'm all wrong in my thoughts. And to be fair, we have seen quite a few gaping nets go wanton for our pucks, but I was very impressed last night by San Jose. 

Lately, I've been wondering the same things. I posted in other threads about the apparent lack of hockey fundamentals among our players—especially shooting and passing. I agree wholeheartedly that our biggest problem is the lack of quality players. It seems that management and coaches consistently overestimate the skill of "our group." But so many of the errors seem to be occurring at a fundamental level—errors that professional NHL players should not be making game after game.

Maybe they don't have good fundamentals because they are not good players. But maybe our coaching staff needs to change up some things at practice.   

7 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

lines need to shuffle slight variation to the suggestion in player moves:

Turbo-Aho-Svech

Kuok-Rask-Necas

Martinook-Staal-McGinn (hit everything)

Foegele-Wallmark-Williams

When Ferland comes back, send kuok or Foegele down plus move svech with Necas and Rask.  

Sign me up. If we’re not going to make a trade, it’s time to do something. 5 goals in 5 games suggests something drastic needs to change. It’s not like bringing a couple guys up and changing line combos could cause us to do much worse. We need a real winning streak (more than 3 games) starting now if we don’t want to be playing meaningless hockey after Christmas.

Since it is unlikely that we make any kind of trade for offensive talent it is time to change the mind set of the front office. This organization for the last decade has had a huge priority of defense first and the offense will come via internal development. Offense has always been a low priority. During pre-season  RB stated something around the lines that he wanted the team to have fun again and let their skills shine. He has done nothing to back this up and has gone with the status quo of running with balanced lines. I hear continually that we can't put player Y with Player X because it will effect our shut down line. Shut down line? Shut down line? What good is an attempt at a shutdown line if we have zero offense? Our traded twitchy left winger was traded partially because he doesn't play a two way game. Ok, then each player should be held accountable for their defense and stop worrying about a shut down line. Without trades happening asap it is time we try something drastic or we will just watch the season go down the drain watching the same lines roll out night after night. Let's try and get some offense going with what we have. No, I'm not worried about a shut down line.

Aho        Kuokkanen           TT

Svech     Staal                    Necas         

Ferland   Rask                    Martinook

McGinn    Wallmark             Williams

Foegele 

Edited by slapshot02

I’m tired of the same crap every year.  We have let some great coaches go that prove what they can do with talented NHL players. Maurice,Laviolette, and recently Peters.  Tight wad owner that wouldn’t get us players was the problem and now new owner is doing the same.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, caniac6 said:

I don't think the "lack of quality players" is even a debatable subject. The Canes have played a lot of AHL quality players for a long time. Jordan Staal is one of the best third line centers in the league. Skinner was a good player here, but he has become one of the top goal scorers playing with better players. Our D is fairly solid, but we don't really have a consistent offensive Dman. I don't care who is coaching, if we don't have the players, the team isn't going to be any good. They might skate hard, hustle, and be a competitive group, but we need elite skill to be a good team. Everyone knows what chicken salad can't be made of, and we don't have the chicken.

Yeah, I don't think there is any debate that we don't have enough quality players. We don't just need one but several. Just count the amount of rookies and questionable NHL players cough PDG.The Rask experiment should come to a close this year and some how we need to shed that salary. McGinn,Martinook,Williams,Wallmark,Foegele have a place but I'd prefer to have one or two not 5 of them. The team is still weak down the middle and offers no goal scoring from center. In a perfect world I'd have Aho on the wing where he is more of a sniper,but the lack of C's is forcing him in the middle.

Edited by slapshot02
  • Like 1

The thing is, the committee made some good moves this offseason.  They added some grit which was definitely needed.  Ferland and Martinook were both good additions and added the physicality that the team was missing.  They got Hamilton and DeHaan to beef up the defense.  (why Hamilton is not quarterbacking the poerplay is beyond me).

so with these additions, the assumption was that they would next address the offense.  Move out a d-man or two for some legit scoring. 

If this happened, I believe that the team would be in good shape.  However, when a trade failed to materialize, they should’ve never dumped Skinner for futures.  Should’ve just held onto him and let the cards play out.  

So they panicked, and compounded the problem by dumping Skinner.  I know they believed that a few of the youngsters were going to provide some goal scoring.  They should’ve seen if this came to fruition.  If it did, then by all means trade Skinner if they really needed to move him out.  However, if what has occurred happened and the team was still desperate for goals, then at least the team had someone to fall back on for an occasional goal.  

Now the team looks like a pee wee team that doesn’t know how to put s puck in the net.

• Like 1

:facepalm2:

So, let's see.  Complaints about too many AHLers and young talent. 

Gee, let's open the books and look at the salary stats.   There's your answer.

Dump any blooming youngsters to shed salary.   Keep the AHLer train rolling.

So we crawl on the cap floor again and this is what happens.  Tired of it!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Sebastian Aho will likely shift back to the middle in the absence of Jordan Staal. Aho centering Martinook, Teravainen today.

20 minutes of Rask will be lovely.

4 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

20 minutes of Rask will be lovely.

Time for him to step up. Maybe something good will come out of all this misery.

• Like 1