The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

2 minutes ago, PamlicoPuck said:

Playing hard hits, or dirty hits? is the dividing line that wide to equal 20 games? 

More often than not his hits are borderline. I have no problem with clean hard hits. It seems whenever I see him play there is always a video replay questioning one of his hits.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

not sure how much gas is in the tank for McE.

He's a Canadian and has never won a Cup. If the Canes are in a position to compete for one, that's all the gas he's gonna need, especially after throwing up on himself in the one playoff game he played last year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PamlicoPuck said:

Playing hard hits, or dirty hits? is the dividing line that wide to equal 20 games? 

I'd guess the 20 games is primarily a result of his history. 

10 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I love Wilson getting suspended to 20 ?

He's dirty. That's the "edge" people who love him say he "plays with." 

Well it just cut his behind, didn't it? 

I wonder what goes through his head when he does stuff because that hit did absolutely nothing positive for the Capitals. It's a game with no points involved, he'd already made the team and now the teams without him for twenty and might find their better off without him just an overall useless play before you even get into it being dirty.

• Like 5

Long time coming for Wilson.  People can say 'it was a clean hit' all they want, but all too often with Wilson, it isn't.  I don't remember now who was talking about trying to bring him here, but this fairly validates my happiness that it didn't happen.

27 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

He's dirty. That's the "edge" people who love him say he "plays with." 

Well it just cut his behind, didn't it? 

Lighter wallet and unhappy high maintenance girlfriend.

• Like 1

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Long time coming for Wilson.  People can say 'it was a clean hit' all they want, but all too often with Wilson, it isn't.  I don't remember now who was talking about trying to bring him here, but this fairly validates my happiness that it didn't happen.

Matt Cooke 2.0

7 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

the question for me are we doing the same thing with Necas as Roddie believed we did with Lindy & Hanifin?

Necas spent one post-draft year with his team in the Czech Republic. Lindholm and Hanifin went straight from the draft to starting opening night. Does that mean Necas is ready? Maybe not. But look how Aho did after returning to Finland for a year after he was drafted. Hopefully there is some parallel there.

7 hours ago, remkin said:

As we think about where the scoring is going to come from, and pay attention to the 4 rookies that will need to bring it, one guy and one area that more points could come from is Lucas Wallmark and the 4th line. 

While it is true that producing in the NHL is harder than the AHL, it is also true that we are not talking about Wallmark becoming John Tavares. In his case, we just need a guy who can back check while putting up a few more points than our historically anemic 4C's. 

I've been using the translation factors a bit, for the AHL the projected conversion of AHL productivity to NHL is .47. Wallmark put up 55 points in 45 games in the AHL last year, or 1.17 PPG. This would predict .55 ppg in the NHL or about a 40-45 point season. This is not chopped liver. Last year that was around #144 for forwards, or the likes of Elias Lindholm, Micheal Ferland, Max Domi, Tyler Toffoli, etc. It is, in fact, solid 2nd line forward, or very high end 3rd line center.

Wallmark has not yet translated to the NHL on offense. He had one point in 11 games last year, and 3 points in his 19 games. So there is no proof he can make the jump. But man is the door open for him. Has there ever been a better time to be a somewhat experienced center on this team? Not only do we not have a clear 1C, and not only did we, for the first time in modern memory not go with a journeyman 4C, but Rask sliced and diced his hand opening another slot. 

Wallmark should have at least 3C potential based on his AHL production, possibly even more. It's time to see it. And if we do, it will not be hard for him to beat Marcus Kruger's 1 goal in 48 games. So there's some more goals hopefully.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all in on Wallmark, but I assume he put up his Charlotte stats playing first line minutes. Here, he is likely going to be playing 4th line minutes. I don’t think the numbers will translate exactly the same if that’s the case. Who knows, maybe he will play himself into a bigger role. If he puts up 40 points, I’ll do back flips!

2 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

But somehow I feel better with a Mrazek and McE combo.

Darling and Rask May be 2 of the unluckiest guys around making $4 million a year. By all accounts, both worked hard in the offseason, and an ill-timed injury put them on the shelf right when it mattered. If Mrazek and McE are getting it done, Darling may have a hard time getting into the rotation.Then again, he gives us a third bite at the apple if one or both of the others falters.

3 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

I'll say.  I heard this is his 4th suspension in last 100 games played.  If that's accurate I would say this is his last temporary suspension.  Next one and he probably will get the boot.  There is no place in the league these days for that kind of player.

1 hour ago, bluedevilcane said:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all in on Wallmark, but I assume he put up his Charlotte stats playing first line minutes. Here, he is likely going to be playing 4th line minutes. I don’t think the numbers will translate exactly the same if that’s the case. Who knows, maybe he will play himself into a bigger role. If he puts up 40 points, I’ll do back flips!

Yeah, and PP time too. I agree. He'll have to work up to that, and it is not at all likely that he'll actually score 40 points. Just that is the translation from his AHL numbers based on a template based on the averages. It is well noted by the guy who makes the conversion factors that there is a wide range of actual production, though to get the average some guys scored more too. 

It's much more difficult to try to project to 4th line production though it's obviously a lot less. Not only less minutes, but a different role and more PK time and often short shifts. So well less than 40, but hopefully he centers a 4th line that can get more ice time and actually score some. Then, he can slide up here and there, and after that you never know.

I was thinking of Derek Ryan, who scored .78 ppg in the AHL which would have predicted a 30 point season in the NHL, and he produced 29 points. So pretty close. 

Also when researching who scored around .55 ppg (Walmark's projection if he got the minutes), I came across one Riley Nash. Problems finding a good bottom half center? Well we let one walk away, much to my dismay.

2 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Necas spent one post-draft year with his team in the Czech Republic. Lindholm and Hanifin went straight from the draft to starting opening night. Does that mean Necas is ready? Maybe not. But look how Aho did after returning to Finland for a year after he was drafted. Hopefully there is some parallel there.

Let's not forget E Staal spending a year in Lowell before he helped guide us to The Promised Land. That 04-05 season was a lock-out year in the NHL, so his time in the A was out of necessity, rather than a developmental choice. Still, you gotta believe that it helped his game. I hope Svechnikov will be an exception.

Edited by Bing_Chow
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Darling and Rask May be 2 of the unluckiest guys around making $4 million a year. By all accounts, both worked hard in the offseason, and an ill-timed injury put them on the shelf right when it mattered. If Mrazek and McE are getting it done, Darling may have a hard time getting into the rotation.Then again, he gives us a third bite at the apple if one or both of the others falters.

Agree, hope McE stays.