The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

2 hours ago, PamlicoPuck said:

Somewhere after the first 5 games, this season took a wrong turn and has been lost ever since..... 

More like an intentional case of sabotage. I would put Martinook on the first with Aho and Svech. He might not score that much but hopefully hit anything that moves and create a little bit of room. It would be a little hard to focus on the other two while laying flat on the ice, plus he can score in a limited capacity. :) Interesting at least. 

Edited by dreadedlyfe
proofreading helps
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, dreadedlyfe said:

More like an intentional case of sabotage. I would put Martinook on the first with Aho and Svech. He might not score that much but hopefully hit anything that moves and create a little bit of room. It would be a little hard to focus on the other two while laying flat on the ice, plus he can score in a limited capacity. :) Interesting at least. 

I see no reason whatsoever not to plug Martinook into Ferland's spot - he's the closest we have to that dynamic and while it was worth seeing if the TSA magic still existed, it doesn't.  And leave him on the second line when Ferland *does* return.  Until another yute proves himself, Ferland, Martinook, TT, and Svech (even though 3 are LWs and only one RW) are our top wingers, and i'd put them in positions to do something.  Mind you i still have no idea who the 2C needs to be but hey, we need to trade defensive depth for something, right?  Foegele, McGinn, and PDG have no business on the top 2 lines, though.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, cclifford10 said:

Rask has been playing hard,  I like his opportunity.

He has, and is stickhandling like he's got the puck on a string. Put him with Svech and let's see what happens.

Jordan Staal is a unique sort of player. He has shown some ability to score in the past, but nowhere near consistently. He is a massive driver of possession and holding down other team's top lines. Something we're so good at, in large part due to him. Is Rask equal to that task? Not at J's level, but Rask is a guy who has show more offensive skill in the past. I'd take Jordan over Rask any day. However, there is the matter of his salary. On the whole, the NHL pays for offense, especially from it's forwards. You have to. (Look at us). So I would have to agree that Jordan is overpaid, which in the long run could be an issue. 

The thing is that Jordan is one of the few people on our team who can routinely at least get to a high danger shot. Unfortunately, he is one of the least capable of converting those chances. 

He is, IMO, the ultimate 3C, in fact "Champion team" quality. But then he would need to be paid that way on a high caliber team. We are not, however, a high caliber team, and we have vast cap space, so at the moment his salary is no big deal. Now if we could package Jordan with a D man and get back a true top 30 forward, then I'd join in with saying go for it, especially if it were a top center. 

That said, this team that has trouble gaining offensive positioning, may look even more feckless out there with Staal out. 

On my ideal Cane's team, Jordan stays at 3C, but if he can be packaged with a D man for a true 1C, well, we need a 1C more. 

• Like 1

Good news is we are only 1 point out of the 3rd Metro spot and 3 points out of the last WC spot. That being said with the injuries mounting we are in trouble. Maybe if they can get healthy and consistent they can climb back into this but Im not seeing it with JS and Ferland out. Hope the teams near us continue to stumble till the trainers room is empty. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

Thank you. Thank you. Yes. This is the point I was trying to make earlier.

Yeah for the most part Jordan was the 3C of arguably one of the best 1-2-3 center line ups ever in Pitt. The JR bet was that he could become at least a true 2C, and there was some evidence he could. But he has not consistently brought that level of offense. He is just not to that level of NHL playmaking or finishing. He is a beast in every other category though. I'm not talking about a nice smart 4th liner that does everything like a Pat Dwyer, I talking about a guy who can dominate a game in every way except the final execution of offensive plays. You can absolutely use a guy like that. But you can't pay him like a top producer, and you can't look to him for lots of offense.

• Like 3

Got two calls and two emails in two days from the PNC about season tickets.I informed them I will reinvest when Dundon invests in the product on the ice. I was informed that it is a long season. I inormed them if they only knew how long it is going to be.....

• Like 4

And on that note we are back in the top three of our division. I do agree we need to make a move. They played noticeably better tonight. I think Aho is better at center and wants to stay in the middle but will do whatever he’s told to.

• Like 2

McElhinney is #11 in the NHL in GAA. (was #2 before the SJ game)

Mrazek is #13.

Two of our goalies in the top 13 in GAA, who woulda thunk it, and that includes three guys who have played in 7 games or less.

Not saying it will last but at least I am trying to find a positive.

• Like 1

Makes no sense but i'll take it.  Shows how far the Metro has fallen, and gives us a hint as to where the guys could be if they could get more of those league-leading shots to go in the net.  Of course they could feasibly fall to 6th in the division tonight and 3 points out the the wildcard, but they're in the hunt.

14 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Got two calls and two emails in two days from the PNC about season tickets.I informed them I will reinvest when Dundon invests in the product on the ice. I was informed that it is a long season. I inormed them if they only knew how long it is going to be.....

Great sales tactic: Argue with the customer. Any further evidence that management is clueless is not needed.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

It's been a lot of long seasons.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Great sales tactic: Argue with the customer. Any further evidence that management is clueless is not needed.

Yeah,sent me another note stating we are only 2 points out of a wildcard with 1/2 season to go.The offer was $40.00 lower bowl shoot once area or $75.00 center ice lower bowl. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Yeah,sent me another note stating we are only 2 points out of a wildcard with 1/2 season to go.The offer was $40.00 lower bowl shoot once area or $75.00 center ice lower bowl. 

IOW: "Please come to PNC and spend your money. Then, we'll keep it."

4 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Makes no sense but i'll take it.  Shows how far the Metro has fallen, and gives us a hint as to where the guys could be if they could get more of those league-leading shots to go in the net.  Of course they could feasibly fall to 6th in the division tonight and 3 points out the the wildcard, but they're in the hunt.

Not really.  Pitt is due to come on and this team will sink until the standing abyss.  I am thinking this team finishes 11th or 12th in the East given its current state.

This team needs to get healthy and acquire 2 legit forwards that can help score some goals.  We have the defensive depth to pull the trades off.

If the committee can make this happen, then I really believe this team can push for the playoffs.  As long as the goaltending doesn’t completely fall apart.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

This is the most people I have seen at the PNC since the 2009 playoffs and the Canes are not even playing.  Mickey on ice however is.  SAD. 

20181208_185716.jpg

Finally, something's happening on the sheet you might comprehend. I keed, I keed (which makes it okay).

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

This is the most people I have seen at the PNC since the 2009 playoffs and the Canes are not even playing.  Mickey on ice however is.  SAD. 

20181208_185716.jpg

I’m sure we’ve seen our share of Mickey Mouse hockey over the years. Fittingly we didn’t play it in DisneyLand last night.

17 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Ned and the Finn are headed back to Charlotte...looks like Ferland and Big Mac might be ready for Tuesday?

We don't play until Tuesday so if needed they can be recalled. I hope Ferland and McE are back and a recall isn't necessary