The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

On 12/14/2018 at 9:38 AM, wxray1 said:

Folks, last night was tough.   Team wxray has capitulated.  Let me explain.

Back in '02, I was a casual fan, enough of a fan to watch or listen to all games.  We'd go to an occasional game.  Mrs. wxray didn't seem to care.  Then one day, I came in from a ride where I was listening to the game in slight angst, and saw that the TV was on.  I turned it off.  Mrs. wxray says, "Hey!  Turn that back on!  I'm watching it."

I saw a fan born before my eyes.

After that, we started going to games regularly.  Despite the lockout, we signed on as season ticket holders.  The rest is history, in a mostly good way.  Mrs. wxray was always the upbeat one.  As a Cubs fan, I always looked at the down side of every game and season.

Well last night, Mrs. wxray "broke."  I'm so angry with our used car salesman running the show, I've pretty much gotten to the point of just tuning out the game while watching.  Last night, I fell asleep during the 3rd period.  Every now and then, I'd hear noise and wake up, but always saw the score was not in our favor.  Mrs. left the room and went somewhere.  After the game, I found her in the other room crying.  She says she's had it and we are done.  I agreed.  We are done.

We have 8 more games, paid for, which we'll go to.  But after that, we are done.  (I pleaded for an exception if there are playoffs, and she said we can talk about it later.)

Her point was this is absolutely no fun at all in any way, shape, or form, be it on TV or at the game.  I cannot disagree.  She really took last night hard.  It is over for her.

So, it is over for me too.  I won't go away just yet.  However, we're dead inside.  We've gone through all the stages of grief and have reached acceptance.  It was fun while it lasted.

Yeah the other night against Montreal was the final straw for me especially after seeing that empty netter go in.  Wouldn't be so bad until you realize we are the lowest paid team in the league. 

On 12/14/2018 at 9:22 AM, gocanes0506 said:

So i guess Aho putting his name with The Great One earlier wasn’t worth following? Aho and Svech aren’t worth attention? 

Wow! tough crowd.   

Tell me, are you part of the "committee"? I'm sorry, but if I have to go to such extremes as to derive joy and team spirit from an individual accomplishment when the whole point of the sport is to win the **** game, why bother? Don't tell me how I should be "enjoying" the games....

Honestly, this sounds just like the lame BS that people say they got from the season-ticket shills who would call and bother them in the past. "No, I'm not renewing my season ticket plan. Management hasn't made any changes to the team to make it better.""But... but... we have exciting players like Aho (or E. Staal or Skinner or <insert name of current face-of-the-team>)...."

1 hour ago, JonKerfoot said:

Tell me, are you part of the "committee"? I'm sorry, but if I have to go to such extremes as to derive joy and team spirit from an individual accomplishment when the whole point of the sport is to win the **** game, why bother? Don't tell me how I should be "enjoying" the games....

Honestly, this sounds just like the lame BS that people say they got from the season-ticket shills who would call and bother them in the past. "No, I'm not renewing my season ticket plan. Management hasn't made any changes to the team to make it better.""But... but... we have exciting players like Aho (or E. Staal or Skinner or <insert name of current face-of-the-team>)...."

It was a response to this team doesn’t have anyone worth watching.  No better arguments than when you run with points that weren’t there.  You spend your money how you want. Didn’t ask for you to be a STM.

5 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

It was a response to this team doesn’t have anyone worth watching.  No better arguments than when you run with points that weren’t there.  You spend your money how you want. Didn’t ask for you to be a STM.

It helps if you actually, I don't know, quote the post to which you're responding. I'd think a moderator would know obscure things like that....

23 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

It helps if you actually, I don't know, quote the post to which you're responding. I'd think a moderator would know obscure things like that....

Looking one post up would help too

9 hours ago, reelpirate5 said:

I think it's time for the Foegele experiment to end.  Yes he brings some energy, but really nothing else.  Much of his energy also seems like wasted motion.  Lots of movement resulting in nothing.  When the puck is on his stick he rarely looks to make a play.....he mostly looks like he can't wait to get it off his stick no matter where it goes.

I was a Foegele fan during preseason and the first couple of games, but at some point you have to admit when you were wrong.  I was wrong.  I do believe he can get there one day, but he is not ready for this level of play right now.  He needs to go back to the A, build some confidence, and let the game slow down for him.

OK....I know it is probably bad form to quote yourself, but since I ragged on Foegele this morning I will.  He had had a good game today.  He worked hard, and in my eyes was more noticeable even before the goal than he has been in awhile.  Good for him, and I am glad to see it.

I am kind of thinking if that is the result that maybe I should do it more often......let's see....who should be next.....Hamilton, Rask.....so many to choose from.

Foegele is just fine doing his thing on the fourth line and learning how to score.  Just my opinion, but Foegele isn't a top-6 guy, but I think he can be one of those glue guys every wants on their team.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JonKerfoot said:

You're wasting your breath. Yes, a mod should know, and might even (!) post by example. But it's a pathology with this one, despite it having been pointed out (privately) to his comrades, who also opt to defend it. The members are wrong... because, you know, they're not mods... so they must be wrong. Copyright 2018, WeSaySo(TM)

43 minutes ago, reelpirate5 said:

OK....I know it is probably bad form to quote yourself, but since I ragged on Foegele this morning I will.  He had had a good game today.  He worked hard, and in my eyes was more noticeable even before the goal than he has been in awhile.  Good for him, and I am glad to see it.

I am kind of thinking if that is the result that maybe I should do it more often......let's see....who should be next.....Hamilton, Rask.....so many to choose from.

Heh. I did it with Willy about 10 games ago, and just look! Worked like a charm.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Every team currently in a playoff position has a + goal differential. Every team in a playoff position has scored more goals than we have. Only one team in a playoff position has allowed less goals against than we have. No team in the east has scored less goals than we have and only two teams in the league have scored less goals.

Now that's a +/- I can wrap my head around

• Like 1

I think the question with this team is whether or not they have another sustainable level without making any moves, and whether they make any moves. 

On the moves, they've been historically absent over the years. We pretty much sit pat with one exception. Trading pending UFA's at the deadline, which with Skinner we got started early this year so we could get a much richer return..oh wait, nevermind. But there is so much smoke about us trying to make a move that it's hard to see through it. We were clearly pushing hard for Nylander, and supposedly just had a deal fall through, and Waddell keeps saying that we're open for business. So, who knows? Maybe.

On the team having another gear? Again, who knows? We do at the moment. But things go in waves for NHL teams. We had that wave at the start of the year, then recently the "we can't score" wave, and now we seem to be scoring again. We will not get into the playoffs on 1-0 wins, so the recent scoring creates a hope. But will it keep up? That is the question in my mind. 

Ironically (for us), we are getting solid goaltending from a couple of cast-off goalies. But though it may seem obvious, got to give kudos to the committee for not insisting on continuing to roll Darling out there just due to his salary. If we had to rely on Darling we should go for Jack Hughes, and I'm not being sarcastic. We'd have zero chance.

Personally, I think we can have a run of improved offense. Svech is really starting to execute his super high end skills at the NHL level. Aho is seemingly back to dominant Aho (sort of quietly on a 30 goal, 87 point pace. Quiet for that pace, not actually quiet). Another thing is that old man Williams has 3 goals in 5 games and seems to be finding some added energy. I think TT can be closer to a ppg, but nearly .8 ppg is also quietly pretty dang good. Wallmark is compiling assists, and might the lid have just come off of Foegele? Add Ferland back in for goals, and Staal for steady possession, and there may be enough there to squeak in. BTW Martinook has been a great find. This was a guy I was thinking healthy extra a lot, and was I ever wrong about that. He is not super slick, but he has skills beyond just hitting people, sort of like Ferland, but maybe a half notch less skill. 

Rask has only been back 12 games, but so far it's more of the recent same, and no flashes of those 3 glorious months he had a couple of years back. He simply no longer creates offense. We have a guy that does that better than him in Staal. I sort of see the point in maybe moving Staal and let Rask to it, but Staal brings all of that at a higher level IMO. 

The last thing I really think this team could try, is to move Necas back in. I know they want to keep his entry level longer and not have to protect him in the expansion draft, but he is lighting it up in the AHL and he drives NHL D men back on their heels. IMO, if we make a mover for a legit forward, fine, protect him in the AHL. But if we don't, Necas could really help.

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

I sort of see the point in maybe moving Staal and let Rask to it, but Staal brings all of that at a higher level IMO. 

If the reasoning with Rask is to move Staal and let him fill that role, i'd just as soon punt and watch Staal grow old in Raleigh.  I'd love to be proven wrong, but IMO we've seen all we're going to see out of Rask.  I have more faith in both Wallmark and Bishop, and neither of them are any better than 3rd-line centers either.  Main difference is i can see one of them in time perhaps elevating to another level, whereas i don't see it with Rask.  Rask is just Rask.  Unsmiling, mostly invisible, permanently on the mend from one surgery or another, Rask.

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

The last thing I really think this team could try, is to move Necas back in. I know they want to keep his entry level longer and not have to protect him in the expansion draft, but he is lighting it up in the AHL and he drives NHL D men back on their heels. IMO, if we make a mover for a legit forward, fine, protect him in the AHL. But if we don't, Necas could really help.

Meanwhile, if the reasoning with Necas is protecting him from the expansion draft, then The Committee truly doesn't realize how badly this fanbase needs a playoff showing, even if it's 4 games and out.  Put out our best now and worry about the expansion draft next year.  RF's prudence and finagling in reference to the last expansion was nice and all, but at the end of the day, it didn't result in the promised land either, especially when the committee just turned around and traded half the people RF tried so hard to hold on to for table scraps.  Let's go for it now and let things fall where they may.  If nothing else, play Necas now and when the time comes, protect him in place of Rask.  Dun.

• Like 2

I agree realm. And even though Kuok didn't really pop in a few games up here, I see him with more upside offensive potential than a lot of other options, but especially Rask. But IMO the only thing that would excuse keeping Necas down on the farm would be if a bigger move was made, and the team started really winning. 

To send another season down the drain with no significant trade for O talent and also leaving your other potential elite offensive talent (other than Svech) in the minors would be hard to swallow.

• Like 1

Just to put Necas' coming on in the AHL in context. He is a ppg over his last 21 games. He is .46 goals per game over his last 13 games (37 goal pace over 82 games). Meanwhile Charlotte is back to leading the AHL. They are a plus 24 in goal differential. While I get letting Necas really lock this in at the AHL level, it would be interesting to see what he could do back up here.

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

Every team currently in a playoff position has a + goal differential.

I've been watching goal diff for a long time, and it is incredibly accurate at pinpointing whos in and out, on exactly the grounds you point out. Just goes to show that D and goaltending are key, but also that even with a great keeper who can steal wins, if you can't consistently score the puck, you're gonna be on the outside looking in.

Where D and keeping more often (though far from regularly) buck that trend is in the playoffs, because stealing even one game of a (maximum) seven-game "season" is going to have a much bigger impact on whether you move on than stealing five or six during a full season will have, on whether you get in.

5 minutes ago, remkin said:

Just to put Necas' coming on in the AHL in context. He is a ppg over his last 21 games. He is .46 goals per game over his last 13 games (37 goal pace over 82 games). Meanwhile Charlotte is back to leading the AHL. They are a plus 24 in goal differential. While I get letting Necas really lock this in at the AHL level, it would be interesting to see what he could do back up here.

It would, but beyond the wiseness of keeping him there to win now for his own development, I do think one component of RF's approach to building through the draft is hard to refute: Teams that win at one level and are able to bring the core of that group to the next increase their odds of winning at that higher level.

The power of teammate familiarity in getting through the tough times together is important in any team sport, but it takes on a new dimension in sports with heavy physical/stamina/focus demands. Surviving a third-period onslaught - a.k.a., learning how to win and think on your feet even when you are gassed is really not a factor in baseball, for example. But doing it consistently in high pressure situations is much easier when you can look across the ice and see a guy you've known and trusted for years. It's not hard to imagine five or six guys being ready for prime time next year, thanks to the preparation they've been doing and the success they've been enjoying in CLT in recent years.  

Just to put a bit more emphasis on the being close by Jan 1 thing, January is 8/12 games on the road, including a 3 game western Canada run. Time for a run is now. Well after the next 3 days off.

Rask needs to be put on waivers to see if anyone will bite.  Put stone hands on the third line and let him kill penalties and take defensive zone draws.  Recall Clark Bishop.  But that won't happen, stone hands will go right back to the second line, and they will continue to utilize Rask because he makes 4 million - and the offense will go back in the tank. 

All the preseason talk of "earning playing time regardless of the paycheck" appears to be a load of crap.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

All the preseason talk of "earning playing time regardless of the paycheck" appears to be a load of crap.

Not so much crap as only applies to rookies, and the way they have to earn their time is by moving mountains.  Playing time is the veterans' time to lose, and even there, they're going to get multiple opportunities.  See Darling, Scott.