The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

4 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Which means one of Svech and Martinook is back on the 3rd.  Because McGinn is money with Ferland.

I've given up trying to make sense of our lines. Call them 1st,2nd or 3rd line the Staal, Ferland, Mcginn line has the feel of a chaecking line. That would still have Svech on a scoring line. But, but,but..I don't know

Svech, Aho, TT

Martinook, Wallmark (or Willy), Ferland.

WHAT IS SO FREAKIN' HARD ABOUT THAT, ROD??*

*this sentence would read very differently without the comma

2 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Svech, Aho, TT

Martinook, Wallmark (or Willy), Ferland.

WHAT IS SO FREAKIN' HARD ABOUT THAT, ROD??*

*this sentence would read very differently without the comma

DGP-Aho-McGinn

We should try that line.

6 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

RF's prudence and finagling in reference to the last expansion was nice and all, but at the end of the day ...

I couldn’t pass this up. A Ron Francis reference followed by “at the end of the day.” Ronnie couldn’t finish a paragraph explaining anything without using that phrase.

Regarding Necas, TD supposedly canned Francis for not bringing up reinforcements from Charlotte when the season was in the balance. Should he fire himself for not bringing up Necas now that he is lighting up the A and we generally suck wind to score goals? Or he could pretend Waddell is really the GM and fire him.

7 hours ago, cclifford10 said:

I think we need to switch helmet manufacturers...

Of course I think you are just expressing frustration at our string of concussions.  And rightly so.

For the record, helmets help stop skull fractures.  They do little for concussions, unfortunately, since the brain collides with the skull when the head snaps. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

Of course I think you are just expressing frustration at our string of concussions.  And rightly so.

For the record, helmets help stop skull fractures.  They do little for concussions, unfortunately, since the brain collides with the skull when the head snaps. 

I think we need guys that deliver concussions...

Just a tid bit. The team is now one game above the mythical NHL .500, which creates the illusion that we are fairly good. However, at 14-13-5, we are actually 14-18, or 4 games below true .500 and have the #20/31 best record. This scheme works for the NHL as it creates several nice illusions. One is that the mushy middle, including it's lowest ranks, look to be in the running for a long time after they're really out of it. And also it makes your team look better than it really is. NHL .500 almost never makes the playoffs in a league where over half the teams get in. Your team is usually around #20 or lower, at NHL .500.

However, real .500 usually puts you right at the line (or at least close). Which makes sense when considering that 16/31 teams get in. It depends on the cut line, and how many loser points you get.

Real .500, of course usually means your team is mid pack, or about #15/31, so not exactly a powerhouse, but it also puts you just out of the playoffs most year, but toeing the line. Ironically this is because of those loser points, and the more of those you have at the end, if .500, the greater the chances of getting in at .500. 

If a team went pure .500 and never went to OT or lost them all, they'd end up with 82 points, no where near the cut line. But throw in 10 loser points and you end up with 92 points and right on the doorstep. (Most years the median team has 10 loser points). 

OK this is all to say that in general, if a team is real .500 and has at least the average amount of loser points, they are probably just off the pace (by a game or 2). This is not the goal, but really the minimum pace. It's just a very quick, eyeball way of seeing if your team is near the cut line by just looking at the record and counting all losses as actual losses.

Right now we are 4 wins off of true .500 though, so to get to the line (in a general vague way) we need 4 more wins to get near the theoretical historical cut line. If we win the next 4 games we'd be on a 93 point pace, which is pretty much the cut line most years.

OK, I'm a bit bored, but still. If you are not at least true .500, you are not on the pace. 

• Like 1

Had we not given up so many points to the NYIs and decided to show up in the first game against Arizona it would be a better season so far.  The team will get better as Svech increases his prowess.  Now put the man on the top line for goodness sake or let Rask be the shutdown center with Martinook and McGinn.  Which would allow Staal to be the bedrock center for the two young phenoms of Necasnichov (he has experience in this role).  

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Just a tid bit. The team is now one game above the mythical NHL .500, which creates the illusion that we are fairly good. However, at 14-13-5, we are actually 14-18, or 4 games below true .500 and have the #20/31 best record. This scheme works for the NHL as it creates several nice illusions. One is that the mushy middle, including it's lowest ranks, look to be in the running for a long time after they're really out of it. And also it makes your team look better than it really is. NHL .500 almost never makes the playoffs in a league where over half the teams get in. Your team is usually around #20 or lower, at NHL .500.

However, real .500 usually puts you right at the line (or at least close). Which makes sense when considering that 16/31 teams get in. It depends on the cut line, and how many loser points you get.

Real .500, of course usually means your team is mid pack, or about #15/31, so not exactly a powerhouse, but it also puts you just out of the playoffs most year, but toeing the line. Ironically this is because of those loser points, and the more of those you have at the end, if .500, the greater the chances of getting in at .500. 

If a team went pure .500 and never went to OT or lost them all, they'd end up with 82 points, no where near the cut line. But throw in 10 loser points and you end up with 92 points and right on the doorstep. (Most years the median team has 10 loser points). 

OK this is all to say that in general, if a team is real .500 and has at least the average amount of loser points, they are probably just off the pace (by a game or 2). This is not the goal, but really the minimum pace. It's just a very quick, eyeball way of seeing if your team is near the cut line by just looking at the record and counting all losses as actual losses.

Right now we are 4 wins off of true .500 though, so to get to the line (in a general vague way) we need 4 more wins to get near the theoretical historical cut line. If we win the next 4 games we'd be on a 93 point pace, which is pretty much the cut line most years.

OK, I'm a bit bored, but still. If you are not at least true .500, you are not on the pace. 

Time is running out to string together some wins, need 4 out of the remaining 6 games in December to be in position at the first of year...   

4 hours ago, PamlicoPuck said:

Time is running out to string together some wins, need 4 out of the remaining 6 games in December to be in position at the first of year...   

yeah it really feels like pivotal period. Both because we are playing better and because we have winnable games, not to mention the trend of wanting to be as close as possible by Jan 1. Really good timing to keep the scoring coming and put a streak out there.

Rem, if you end up with 10 “loser points”, to get to 92 points, you need to be 41-31 in the remaining games. So we need to go          27-18-5 the rest of the way to accomplish that. Unless our management does something major real soon, I don’t see that as very likely.

27 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Rem, if you end up with 10 “loser points”, to get to 92 points, you need to be 41-31 in the remaining games. So we need to go          27-18-5 the rest of the way to accomplish that. Unless our management does something major real soon, I don’t see that as very likely.

That sounds about right and that's just to get to what is likely just below the cut line. I think of it as we need a 4 game streak to get back near the pace, and at least a 5 game streak to get to it. If we factor that into your record, it would be a 5 game run, then need to go 22-18-5, which is 22-23 and just under true .500. I'm not doing the actual math here, but that sounds about right or at least close.

1 hour ago, Derailed75 said:

Jeez, you guys are pansies. Have some faith. 

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Easy to say  for you.  I have witnessed 10 straight years of no playoffs and have posted here with others during this time.  Starting to get depressing. 

Edited by bluedevil58
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Easy to say  for you.  I have witnessed 10 straight years of no playoffs and have posted here with others during this time.  Starting to get depressing. 

I was born outside of Cleveland Ohio. Through and through Cleveland sports fan. Started watching the Canes right after they moved to Greensboro. I think I have full knowledge of droughts. So it is kinda easy for me to say. Lol I know sports suck and sports heartache. 

31 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

I was born outside of Cleveland Ohio. Through and through Cleveland sports fan. Started watching the Canes right after they moved to Greensboro. I think I have full knowledge of droughts. So it is kinda easy for me to say. Lol I know sports suck and sports heartache. 

Doesn't matter.  I along with others are fed up with it.  This whole off season didn't sit well.  The Skinner trade was a real low blow.  Several of us we excited that we had a new owner that would spend money.  Then we find out we are the lowest payroll team in the league.

All is fine though because we will have Whaler jerseys.

Edited by bluedevil58

8 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Doesn't matter.  I along with others are fed up with it.  This whole off season didn't sit well.  The Skinner trade was a real low blow.  Several of us we excited that we had a new owner that would spend money.  Then we find out we are the lowest payroll team in the league.

All is fine though because we will have Whaler jerseys.

Who should we have spent money on last offseason?  No, anyone or I don’t care answers. Who specifically would be a good signing to spend money on?

Hanifin wasn’t worth 5 million a year based on his play.

Lindholm assumed 5 million to stay here, 45 points and 17 goals (not in the same season) were his highs.  4.5 million is max I would pay. He has already surpassed his career high for GWG this season.

neither of those two really showed they were worth high dollar, long term commitments.

JT- never in the running 

JVR- a solid 7 points (3 goals) in 15 games, a -7 as well.

Neal- solid 7 points in 34 games.  Getting the Skinner treatment from Peters.

Statsny got hurt so he has only played 7 games

Bozak- 5 million for a 3rd line center. Has 13 points in 31 games. 

Other suggestions?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Who should we have spent money on last offseason?  No, anyone or I don’t care answers. Who specifically would be a good signing to spend money on?

Hanifin wasn’t worth 5 million a year based on his play.

Lindholm assumed 5 million to stay here, 45 points and 17 goals (not in the same season) were his highs.  4.5 million is max I would pay. He has already surpassed his career high for GWG this season.

neither of those two really showed they were worth high dollar, long term commitments.

JT- never in the running 

JVR- a solid 7 points (3 goals) in 15 games, a -7 as well.

Neal- solid 7 points in 34 games.  Getting the Skinner treatment from Peters.

Statsny got hurt so he has only played 7 games

Bozak- 5 million for a 3rd line center. Has 13 points in 31 games. 

Other suggestions?

Yes.  Jeff Skinner.  I'm not going to bash the Hamilton trade because that is still to be decided.  

After that.  My vote for more money spent goes to the following:

Head Coach 

GM

Hutton.

Don't sit there and tell me coaches were not available when guys like Suter were on the market and still are.

It's ok though guys.  We spent bug money.  To the fine tune of 800K for the Vezina goalie known as Mzarek.  Who is better than Darling which is not saying much but still shackey.

Now I will admit that this off season will give us the final verdict.   But I am not convinced anything will happen until it happens and by anything I mean a starting goalie and 2 top 6 forwards.

Edited by bluedevil58

Serious question BD. Do you watch other sports?

The reason I ask is because at 43 years old I cant think of a single team in organized pro sports that dumped tons of money on the FA market and ever became anything.

I take that back, it can be done in the NBA but out side of that every time a GM goes nuts in FA it fails. Everytime. It's not video games and you dont win putting together the highest rated players.