The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

9 minutes ago, OBXer said:
9 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Martin Necas will play for Czech Republic in WJC, Canes’ Don Waddell says. Will join team tomorrow.

Sounds like we have no plans to call him up then. This goes through Jan 5, and with travel and some more AHL time, gotta think this effectively pushes him into mid January as far as a call up here being even possible. By that point I guess we'll have to see if we're still in it, or if any other moves are made. Starting to feel like the idea of protecting him from burning eligibility and the expansion draft is predominating. 

From a developmental point of view, letting him dominate the WJC and AHL for a full season is fine. 

From a "could the big club use some scoring, or is this season all ready being hoisted onto the sacrificial alter on the ashes of the previous countless ones" point of view?" Probably too soon to know, but starting to wonder.

If one wants to push the theoretical boundaries though, one could wonder what a young Adam Fox makes of us holding Necas in the AHL despite killing it there. But I'm just riffing here. 

I'm so tired of sacrificing the current season it is coloring everything.

Being patient with our young prospects is probable the best course to take. Allowing the Checkers to have a chance to make a real run for the Calder Cup should be beneficial going forward. The problem for us fans is that we need scoring help now and we haven't seen a trade so what else is there but to rush prospects up. I guess patience is still our slogan.

• Like 1

Hate this hate to be this guy.  But I think they are once again done.  Falling out of it.   No moves made.  Call ups mostly a bust.  Same as every year. If we can win 5 in a row 3  in a row.  Whatever.  Very frustrated.  Again.   I’ll still go still have fun but reality is no way this is a playoff team.   Sux. ☹️

Was hoping things would change with new ownership but other than gimmicks on concessions and tickets and oh yea green apparel story seems just like last year and the year before and the year before that.....

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Being patient with our young prospects is probable the best course to take. Allowing the Checkers to have a chance to make a real run for the Calder Cup should be beneficial going forward. The problem for us fans is that we need scoring help now and we haven't seen a trade so what else is there but to rush prospects up. I guess patience is still our slogan.

Yeah, if we could just pull off that trade elusive enough that it's absence probably contributed to a GM firing, the urge to move Necas up could dissipate some. Whether moving Necas up this season is rushing him or not, is I guess debatable. Unlike, say Skinner, or Hanifin, or Lindholm, Necas did go the Aho route, and play his first post draft season in a European men's league. 

Then, unlike Aho, he went down to Charlotte and now has 26 AHL games under his belt (and 22 points). 

But really it could be best to simmer down there. I guess it's always a judgement how much AHL is enough for which players. Some guys go down for 26 games, find some things and come back to the NHL, some take a season, some take 2-3 seasons. It's just also tempting to look at a team not wanting to burn eligibility or have to protect him in the expansion draft, but that is also on the verge of tossing another season on the fire.

Necas dominated the WJC last year, so from a developmental point of view? Meh. I think it will be nice for him though. Looks like he'll be back with Zadina, so they should utterly dominate when their on the ice. Men among boys.

I'm just growing so weary of everything being for next season. I thought that was part of why Francis was shown the door. I do see exciting things for next year. But I'm so very tired of this dance with the mushy middle we were assured we wouldn't see, that....well I'm just tired of it.

5 minutes ago, remkin said:

I'm just growing so weary of everything being for next season.

I agree. It is a real test for all of us. I'm not sure we aren't playing for this season. I suspect we will see some player movement by trade deadline. We are still in the hunt and if we remain in it a trade is most likely. If so player moves could make room for and the necessity to make call ups. If we are out of it by trade deadline I expect we will see players given at least the chance at playing at the NHL level.

The one caveat is that I don't think you can overestimate the importance of allowing your AHL team to make a run for the Calder Cup.

• Like 1

The thing about the deadline is that at least at this point, nearly every team in the East anyways, is still in it. There could be few sellers. The other thing is that this team might need more help sooner than later because we are not on the pace. We have to close to get to the pace (4 unanswered wins*). Waiting for the actual deadline could well be too late, and the prices high given the lack of sellers. 

*I should point out that my "pace" assumes what will almost certainly happen: a couple of teams go on runs and separate away from the pack, moving the needed pace up. 

But the main point is why not make a move now so that WE can be that team that moves up? 

19 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Yes.  Jeff Skinner.  I'm not going to bash the Hamilton trade because that is still to be decided.  

After that.  My vote for more money spent goes to the following:

Head Coach 

GM

Hutton.

Don't sit there and tell me coaches were not available when guys like Suter were on the market and still are.

It's ok though guys.  We spent bug money.  To the fine tune of 800K for the Vezina goalie known as Mzarek.  Who is better than Darling which is not saying much but still shackey.

Now I will admit that this off season will give us the final verdict.   But I am not convinced anything will happen until it happens and by anything I mean a starting goalie and 2 top 6 forwards.

Different BD here, and I have to agree with BD58. Actions speak louder than words. Every management and coaching hire since TD took over has been bargain basement. Even PK did not give Waddell a role in hockey decisions. Nor did anyone else after the Thrashers left Atlanta, what, 10 years ago? RBA is a legend and favorite of the fan base, but his qualifications to be HC were 7 years as an assistant on 2 coaching staffs that never reached the playoffs, and he ran the largely unsuccessful power play for 4 years under Peters.  Daniels had been demoted within the organization and we hired our other assistant coach fresh off a stint as an assistant coach in Canadian Juniors. To me, that’s a pattern of being cheap. 

Everyone lays dumping Skinner off on Rod, but that’s what you have a competent GM for - to avoid boneheaded moves. Better to hang onto him and trade him at the deadline if we were out of contention, or let him walk at the end of the year if he could have given us a shot at the playoffs than to give him away to an Eastern Conference rival. I’m not so sure I agree that we should have pursued Hutton, and though the Calgary trade looks iffy now, it will look better if we resign Ferland and get Fox under contract. If neither of those things happen, that trade was Lindy and Hanifin (two fifth overall picks) for Hamilton and one year of Ferland. Not so great.But there is also the issue of getting Aho and Turbo signed. Sign Fox to an entry level deal, Aho and Turbo for 6 years or longer and Ferland for 3, and I’ll be a little more at ease. But I still have my doubts we have competent management and coaching. TD has so far made exactly one move that cost any money: de Haan. Let’s see how much of that to-do list gets done, and while he’s at it, prove he (or Waddell) can move D for offense that we desperately need.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, remkin said:

Starting to feel like the idea of protecting him from burning eligibility and the expansion draft getting his @$$ kicked in the NHL is predominating.

Fixed.

1 hour ago, bluedevilcane said:

Everyone lays dumping Skinner off on Rod, but that’s what you have a competent GM for - to avoid boneheaded moves.

Our GM committee is Rod telling TD what he thinks and TD swallowing it three ways, as Boomer likes to say on Sirius: With the hook, with the line, and with the sinker. TD is pro sports fanboy who is dazzled by Rod's Carolina Snake Oil Show. 

3 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Our GM committee is Rod telling TD what he thinks and TD swallowing it three ways, as Boomer likes to say on Sirius: With the hook, with the line, and with the sinker. TD is pro sports fanboy who is dazzled by Rod's Carolina Snake Oil Show. 

I love it when Boomer says that, he's worth the listen most of the time.

Speaking of a snake oil show, what's the old saying......don't sling snakes in a glass cage, or something like that

:D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coastal_caniac said:

I love it when Boomer says that, he's worth the listen most of the time.

Speaking of a snake oil show, what's the old saying......don't sling snakes in a glass cage, or something like that

:D

Guilty as charged. Based on the moves we've made, I have strong feelings (read: doubts) about who is really running this show--or at least whose opinions are more heavily weighted on our (purported) one-man/one-vote committee.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Guilty as charged. Based on the moves we've made, I have strong feelings (read: doubts) about who is really running this show--or at least whose opinions are more heavily weighted on our (purported) one-man/one-vote committee.

Hey, the fan base has to keep em' on their toes, it's our job.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I never thought it was a one-man/one-vote committee, more of a everybody weighs in and some decision maker goes from there (most assuredly TD on the big issues).  But that's secondary to the main point of this post, which is that I've got to believe that whoever the big proponents of the "dump Skinner as quickly as possible" movement were, they've lost some credibility with TD when it comes to player moves.  [for the record, my hunch is that RB and J Willy had a lot to do with it]

5 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

But that's secondary to the main point of this post, which is that I've got to believe that whoever the big proponents of the "dump Skinner as quickly as possible" movement were, they've lost some credibility with TD when it comes to player moves.  

I think we all can agree we hope Dundon isn't too egotistic to learn a new "business" in spite of himself.  I'm still completely on the fence on the guy.  Like hearing the alternative theories though.  My own conspiracy snake oil is that Waddell is just a puppet that went a long way in Ron's dismissal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I never thought it was a one-man/one-vote committee, more of a everybody weighs in and some decision maker goes from there (most assuredly TD on the big issues).  But that's secondary to the main point of this post, which is that I've got to believe that whoever the big proponents of the "dump Skinner as quickly as possible" movement were, they've lost some credibility with TD when it comes to player moves.  [for the record, my hunch is that RB and J Willy had a lot to do with it]

Mine too. Which frankly really hurts my (still very) high opinion of Willy. My guess is that the writing of Rod's ascendancy to coach was on the wall and Willy had to make a choice: Challenge him or get on the oust Jeff bandwagon.

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I think we all can agree we hope Dundon isn't too egotistic to learn a new "business" in spite of himself.  I'm still completely on the fence on the guy.  Like hearing the alternative theories though.  My own conspiracy snake oil is that Waddell is just a puppet that went a long way in Ron's dismissal.

Waddell being a puppet would align with the idea that TD didn't like Ron's inaction at the TD last year and that was that for Ron, especially after he (TD) watched Philly pick up Mraz, who won three straight to get them into the dance. We were virtually tied with Philly in the standings at the time, Darling and Cam were clearly done, and we could have claimed him too and perhaps gotten the same result.

I don't know what's going on behind meeting room doors.  All I know is the promised spending is not there.  Not there in player acquisitions.  Not there in fan experience items (see organ, or Chuck K.).  Not there overall.

2 hours ago, wxray1 said:

I don't know what's going on behind meeting room doors.  All I know is the promised spending is not there.  Not there in player acquisitions.  Not there in fan experience items (see organ, or Chuck K.).  Not there overall.

Being in a 10 year abyss would do that to anyone I guess wxray? And for what it's worth, I'm right there with all of y'all. It's very difficult to stand up to the mounting fan base negativity, day after day, holding out for just a smidgen of optimism, and see absolutely NADA. So much boisterous talk riding in on the tailwind of Tom Dundon, about how he was going to start with improvement of fan experience, facility overhaul, new modernizes practice facility and not being patient with "losing". Then crickets!!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

They'll dump him for picks at deadline )))

Won't even get picks, we'll get Shaya with how the internal hires work.

Just saying, we'll know exactly where Dundon stands with that contract. Let's what most Canes fans would say is the best part of the franchise walk, he might not be allowed back in the state to see his team.

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Being in a 10 year abyss would do that to anyone I guess wxray? And for what it's worth, I'm right there with all of y'all. It's very difficult to stand up to the mounting fan base negativity, day after day, holding out for just a smidgen of optimism, and see absolutely NADA. So much boisterous talk riding in on the tailwind of Tom Dundon, about how he was going to start with improvement of fan experience, facility overhaul, new modernizes practice facility and not being patient with "losing". Then crickets!!!

And we forgot the coaching and management staff.  Tom talks big, then the rumor, which appears quite true, is the GM position was up for peanut sized salary.

Edited by wxray1

2 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

And we forgot the coaching and management staff.  Tom talks big, then the rumor, which appears quite true, is the GM position was up for peanut sized salary.

I didn't forget so much as seeing the list growing so long, that I was getting more depressed by the minute? Now we're back on the post holiday freeze, then the trade deadline, then the offseason followed by the draft. Talk about Groundhog Day, the Canes could be the poster child for that?

This team has not done anything to get better since it's last time in the playoffs. After these off season trades, and the improved play of the guys we traded, it can be argued that we have gotten worse. This is one of the worst organizations in the NHL, and it hasn't gotten any better under TD. It really makes me wonder if he wants a successful team in Raleigh.

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

This team has not done anything to get better since it's last time in the playoffs. After these off season trades, and the improved play of the guys we traded, it can be argued that we have gotten worse. This is one of the worst organizations in the NHL, and it hasn't gotten any better under TD. It really makes me wonder if he wants a successful team in Raleigh.

Wow. He has had less than a year. He cant make everyone give up their players.  The FAs weren’t there to make us better.