The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

I sat next to a very long time, very fervent STH at the start of the season, away from my usual seats. He said he went to a lunch where Dundon spoke. He said Dundon spent some time on the importance of getting truly talented "stars". Game changers. He said that was what he wanted to bring here. 

I was not at this lunch, so I can't really go into details and this was a while ago, but if he's still on that line of thinking, he's right. The problem is that there has been very little evidence of success on that. The closest thing we had to a game breaker, short of Aho, was Skinner. Seems like trading him was in the face of that sentiment. I guess in some worlds Dougie Hamilton is close, but we haven't seen it yet with his 3 goals. I absolutely love the pick up of DeHaan, but he's not a game changing star. 

In the short and medium term, to me the whole thing comes down to executing that idea of finding a star. If he does it, we'll be good even with the el cheapo radio, organ, even front office. One brilliant move makes all of the handwringing over el cheapo disappear. 

Those moves are hard. You can count the recent ones on one hand, (or two at most). But they do happen. And that's the job. Francis failed. Not for trying, I happen to know he proposed several trades, but for not succeeding. It's hard. Winning in the playoffs is hard. But you either drop back to Jack Hughes land, or you pull this move off, because those are the ways to get that kind of talent. (or win the lottery).

Anyways, I think Dundon's lamenting all of the D men taken is because he's right. The idea of flipping D for O is nice, and it's is doable, but it takes longer and is much harder, than just drafting mostly forwards. 

Make the move: all is forgiven. Don't and we'll lament el cheapo all season and beyond. If we even hand around that long.

The last luncheon RB was late.  Erik Tulsky spoke for about one-half hour.  He talked about how our team shooting percentage, if it holds up, will be an NHL record - on the low side.  He went on to say we needed more talent up front to turn that stat to our favor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, remkin said:

I sat next to a very long time, very fervent STH at the start of the season, away from my usual seats. He said he went to a lunch where Dundon spoke. He said Dundon spent some time on the importance of getting truly talented "stars". Game changers. He said that was what he wanted to bring here.

How about a Star GM?

You have to start with the GM, and not poison the water with lowball offers and goofy management structures that scare away talent.  Star players want confidence they are moving into a situation that is changing for the better.  I say this because many of those stars have no movement clauses, and have a say in the matter.  Or, of course, UFAs.

Right from the start, the water was poisoned.  Let me give an alternative example or two of teams having issues and the changes they made that led to success:

- Blackhawks: Stan Bowman.  Although the 2010 Cup was clearly not all his doing, you can argue he had a big part in 2013 and 2015.  In 2015, they played the Lightning for the Cup, which brings me to..

- Lightning: Steve Yzerman.  The Bolts have had "Deep Runs" under his tenure.  Although he is freshly gone, the team he put together is doing well this year. 

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

If the canes could get someone half as talented as Steve Yzerman  then they are set for years , just make the necessary trades when they do need to come  and not get back diminishing returns and  the team would see sell out crowds  for years on end .    people talk trash as to why  the canes  fans dont sell out the games ,  well with mediocrity as your GM  for well over 20 years   it's just not going to bring in fans , you have to build a winner for years  in order to get the fans to come otherwise you are just wasting your time  with false platitudes !   

This is why I have been very admin-ate about Firing Don Waddell  .  and until the day comes that guy is gone as the gm im not buying one ticket to a canes  game ! 

I vote with my wallet not because of feelings !  call me a fairweather fan all you want , im just not  going to sink my money on a loser 

20 minutes ago, STM2003 said:

What happened to the organ? Thanks.

The committee gave it to Chuck Kaiton in lieu of a gold watch 😎

It is time to fire Rod.  The warning signs were all there through the seasons.  How did his success with the PP land him the HC spot?

Edited by bluedevil58

50 minutes ago, STM2003 said:

What happened to the organ? Thanks.

Just silently sent away.  We have recordings of Larry and that's good enough for TD.

Firing a coach is the easy way out. I.m not disputing that naming Brindy head coach was always a gamble or that he may be the choice to be fired in an attempt to right the ship.

From my eye we have two potential elite players, Aho and Svech. Neither has reached their potential yet. We have a lot of really good hockey players but age or youth is a challenge. Other players are good but are often being asked to play above their pay grade. Until we address the need for a high end top 6 scorer and a top 6 center we will have to wait until our prospects develop.   A new coach will be faced with the same problem of moving pieces around for moving sake.

One thing I have noticed is this team doesn't seem to have fun. Even the post game celebration seems forced but I may be seeing this wrong. From my eye the only player that seemed absolutely to be over the moon was Jordan Martinook when he scored his hat trick. I know it was unexpected even by him but in his interview he was upbeat, happy and it came across as the sheer joy of playing the game. Lavi use to set this tone for the 06 team and Brindy or his replacement needs to do the same

30 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

It is time to fire Rod.  The warning signs were all there through the seasons.  How did his success with the PP land him the HC spot?

EA6FE2DA-F4D0-45D4-A530-D4AB59147C88.jpeg

Well, here’s my .02:

1. Put Svech and Aho on the same line...YESTERDAY!!!

2. Turbo needs to sit a game and just watch...his shooting confidence is shot...

3. Dougie and Rask need to sit for much longer.

4. Might be time to start shopping Faulk again...his price is definitely higher than last year, so we might as well take advantage of a lingering liability 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

No, right now

While he never should’ve been hired in the first place, firing him now sends the wrong message to any future candidates 

I guess this could go in about 3 different threads, so I pick here.

It was hard for me to believe that after an exhaustive, no expense spared search, that the top candidates for the GM and HC job were down the hall, to the left.  GM non-hiring stinks of cheapness.  I love Brindy the player, but I was scared what we were seeing now would happen.  The guy has been in the room for 7 years in a suit, and the team needs a culture change.  Now somebody has to make a decision on possibly firing a legend.

On the salary cap, some of that is due to having a bunch of young players.  I can't lay all of that on Dundon since he inherited most of this.  We are seeing a long running result of refusing to get into the UFA market other than rummaging through the scratched and dented bin at the back of the store.  This wasn't all going to go away in one off season.  De Haan was a good signing.  I'm sure that Tavares would have changed our fortunes, but that wasn't going to happen no matter how big of a check Dundon could cut.

Dundon wanted to make the game experience better.  Other than having some fans in the tunnel and a celebration after a win, what has been done?  You know what makes my fan experience better?  Winning. 

I don't know the answers from behind my keyboard.  I don't even know what the questions are.  I know that I'm getting worn out from this though.  Not to the point of giving up, but worn out nonetheless.

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 8

The problem is he was only hired to give the appearance that we have an actual hockey person running the team when it’s really our owner. Along with firing Waddell, Dundon needs to hire someone who knows what he’s doing, get out of his way, and give him the money needed to field a competitive NHL team. What message did Dundon send the way he reassigned, demoted, then fired the last GM who is in the hockey hall of fame. I think the horse has left the barn on worrying about scaring off future GM candidates. Any way you slice it, Dundon will have to convince someone he learned his lesson from the way the GM job search was handled after he bought the team.

Under statement of the year.

Rod Brind'Amour: "We've got to figure out how to get better as a group

13 minutes ago, hockeybaby said:

It's a team, not a group of people waiting for the movie theater to open

Are we sure?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

One more thing:

GM...dismissed after the season...

I don't think you can fire the owner. (It's TD's hand making Don's mouth move, and that's been obvious since TD dragged him, kicking and screaming, into RF's old office.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

While he never should’ve been hired in the first place, firing him now sends the wrong message to any future candidates 

TD did that last spring. $400k...

2 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Now somebody has to make a decision on possibly firing a legend.

Rod's a legend all right--in his own mind. And I think that's the largest part of his problems as a coach.