The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

2 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Along with firing Waddell, Dundon needs to hire someone who knows what he’s doing, get out of his way, and give him the money needed to field a competitive NHL team.

I'm not sure getting out of the GM's way - no matter who it is - is in Dundon's DNA. With each passing day and comment he makes, I become a little more convinced that he's a fanboy who happens to have enough money to live the dream.

While turning it into a nightmare for the rest of us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

With each passing day and comment he makes, I become a little more convinced that he's a fanboy who happens to have enough money to live the dream.

Reminds me of something I learned along the way:  How to make a small fortune in business - first start with a large fortune...

• Like 2

Ok Rod truly knows what he is doing.  From putting the high scoring forward names Martinook on the top line, to burying stone hands Ferland who cannot score goals to the 3rd line.  Also, utilizing our best offensive dman Hamilton on the top PP unit has really got him scoring. 

Then there is Svech, he is nothing more than a 3rd liner so that is where he plays.  Makes no sense to put him in the top line because he can't score no 18 year old can.   

Last but not least,  there was the departure of Jeff Skinner.  Brindy wanted this.  It happened and the return has paid dividends.  We are also scoring a crap ton of goals right now.

I think all if the success we are seeing stems from Brindy's tremendous success with special teams year after year as an assistant coach.  The success there resulted in a clear promotion to HC that is paying dividends as our glorious coach is properly utilizing every single player.  Most importantly,  Martinook on the top line.

Edited by bluedevil58

no getting a top 6 guy, we arent going anywhere. Not sure Hamilton knows where he is, its another down season, cant see things changing.

Whatever we might think of Brind'Amour, it really appears that he is not managing to get the most out of an underpowered team. The only chance we had was a move that brought instant offense in here. I guess it's technically not too late for this year, but it's really close. Turns out that our fast start was indeed the brief honeymoon on a shotgun wedding. 

The idea of Brind'Amour has exceeded the actual results. The idea of the last guy to get a group of players to play as a high end team becoming coach, jettisoning the guy who refused to play the right way and then somehow simultaneously getting the rest to both play the right way, but also to play loose, never took root. I hate to go back to the PP since it's such an easy target, but the PP we had last night after Svech tied it and we won the challenge was just dishearteningly feckless. Is that the analogy for this year's team? Right now, it seems like it.

Sometimes it's darkest just before dawn, but that's about the best I can muster right now.  Especially before my next post.

So if you just don't want to face the current reality, I don't blame you, but don't keep reading. 

Because of our early 4-0-1 start, and the Metro's inability to avoid a big blob of mushy middle teams, and having a couple of beans, we are still technically still in it. But being in it mathematically is one thing. But having a team that can go on the requisite run, and them maintain the pace is another. 

That same 4-0-1 head start is also obscuring how bad this team has been since then. We are currently 14-14-5. Looks pretty average. In reality, it is the #21 best record in the NHL. HOWEVER, if you take out the 4-0-1 start (and who would say that we look anything like the team that did that with 22 goals in 5 games), then since then, this team is 10-14-4. And that, is the #29 best record in the league. Since the 4-0-1 start, we are on a 70 point pace. (The team with 70 last year finished #29). 

I have to hand it to Rod in this sense. He did say we'd either be really good, or really bad, no mushy middle. Turns out he was right, just not in the way we hoped.

37 minutes ago, remkin said:

That same 4-0-1 head start is also obscuring how bad this team has been since then. We are currently 14-14-5. Looks pretty average. In reality, it is the #21 best record in the NHL. HOWEVER, if you take out the 4-0-1 start (and who would say that we look anything like the team that did that with 22 goals in 5 games), then since then, this team is 10-14-4. And that, is the #29 best record in the league. Since the 4-0-1 start, we are on a 70 point pace. (The team with 70 last year finished #29). 

I have to hand it to Rod in this sense. He did say we'd either be really good, or really bad, no mushy middle. Turns out he was right, just not in the way we hoped.

It's grim.

On the flip side, looking to the future, it ain't pretty.  In order to reach 94 points, the team has to go something like 27-15-7.  They've shown absolutely no indication they could reach that kind of level.  An 83 point season is much more likely, if that.

49 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Darling got shelled and let 6 in.  It was an AHL game.

The 'Peter Principle' - everyone rises to their level of incompetence.

Peter, meet Scott...

• Like 2

You hate to rag on a guy that can't  hack it  but man i feel sad for Scott Darling .  Not that im wanting him back with the canes or anything ,  i just think  he is not capable of playing even at the AHL level .   He did after all come from the sphl   and it's crazy  a guy like that could  of ended up in the nhl .  and even crazier that the canes were duped into grabbing him  .    How is it bust's in a making can happen over time ,   I was under the impression that someone  be it a player or goalie  was to progress  not regress  when faced with challenge . 

Hard to feel sorry for millionaire athletes that simply lose their game (if they even ever had one). He’s set financially, has a couple rings and lived the dream. Move on.

Canesville purgatory, again. Rods not the problem just like BP before him who’s now tearing it up in Calgary or KM before him. Canes are a team with mediocre talent at best. Have been for years. No head coach can put a shine on s**t.  Rask shouldn’t even be in the bigs. Period. Tuevo is way over rated. A 3rd liner at best on a good team. The person to point the finger at now is TD. From a distance he looks to be MIA. ‘All the talent’ RF stockpiled over the years? Where is it? By now half of ‘it’ should be playing for the big team and carrying the load making Canes a top 15 team; not even close. Mediocre ownership at the top and Darling at the bottom still happily cashing his $50k game checks. 

15 hours ago, WilmingtonCaniac said:

Reminds me of something I learned along the way:  How to make a small fortune in business - first start with a large fortune...

Parallel to a saying here in the Sailing Capital of NC: To leave Oriental with $1 million, come with two.

5 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

Tuevo is way over rated. A 3rd liner at best on a good team.

This is the only point I disagree with. Okay, and that Rod isn't at least part of the problem.

TT is world class, even if it is only because he knows where Aho is all the time and how to get him the disk. He's Jari Kurri, only with better vision of the whole sheet. Wayne Gretzy simply doesn't do what he did in Edmonton or LA without Kurri. The few times Aho has not had TT with him he has been a different player, and not in a good way. TT can also snipe like nobody's business, win pucks back in the corners when they look like sure clears, and QB the PP (which neither of our so-called offensive D men seems able to do). So I'm not sure which TT we're both watching, but we're clearly seeing two different players. And that's okay.

Rod has been unable for seven (going on eight) years to put together a consistent PP unit, and it's not due to talent, because there have been flashes in every one of those years, and even extended (meaning more than five games) success in couple of them. (How sad is it that I think of five or more games as "extended" success?) When you've got an extra man and can't figure out how to get him the puck for a clean entry and set up the umbrella, that is a coaching-player-discipline problem, not a talent problem--especially when the only constant across all those years has been the coach. Extrapolate the thinking (strategy?) that allows that fail to last that many years onto the rest of the game - as Rod has - and I have to agree with coastal: He's in way over his head. I'll never forget or lose appreciation for what he did for this team in '06, but if the best player in the world can suck as a coach, so can Rod, and sometimes you just can't move up until you to move on. We're closing in on 13 years of Cup nostalgia/hangover, and of being told to be patient. I lost patience with that crap a long time ago.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

This is the only point I disagree with. Okay, and that Rod isn't at least part of the problem.

TT is world class, even if it is only because he knows where Aho is all the time and how to get him the disk. He's Jari Kurri, only with better vision of the whole sheet. Wayne Gretzy simply doesn't do what he did in Edmonton or LA without Kurri. The few times Aho has not had TT with him he has been a different player, and not in a good way. TT can also snipe like nobody's business, win pucks back in the corners when they look like sure clears, and QB the PP (which neither of our so-called offensive D men seems able to do). So I'm not sure which TT we're both watching, but we're clearly seeing two different players. And that's okay.

Rod has been unable for seven (going on eight) years to put together a consistent PP unit, and it's not due to talent, because there have been flashes in every one of those years, and even extended (meaning more than five games) success in couple of them. (How sad is it that I think of five or more games as "extended" success?) When you've got an extra man and can't figure out how to get him the puck for a clean entry and set up the umbrella, that is a coaching-player-discipline problem, not a talent problem--especially when the only constant across all those years has been the coach. Extrapolate the thinking (strategy?) that allows that fail to last that many years onto the rest of the game - as Rod has - and I have to agree with coastal: He's in way over his head. I'll never forget or lose appreciation for what he did for this team in '06, but if the best player in the world can suck as a coach, so can Rod, and sometimes you just can't move up until you to move on. We're closing in on 13 years of Cup nostalgia/hangover, and of being told to be patient. I lost patience with that crap a long time ago.

That is why Rod needs to go.  About TT, I agree with you that he is skilled and very good.  But as I said before he is very streaky.

8 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

But as I said before he is very streaky.

You (well, your "good buddy in Chicago") were wrong then, and you ("he") are wrong now. Turbo has been incredibly consistent, and only getting better, throughout his time here, despite an ever-changing cast of characters on his opposite flank. He's on pace for 60-plus points (again) this year, on one of the most offensively impotent teams in hockey. When he's not scoring goals he is putting up primary assists, and vice versa. If you don't believe me, you could look it up--but seeing as you can never be bothered to do that, despite the convenience of the internet (hint, you're on it right now) I won't hold my breath.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I don’t follow the logic that a team know for years to be devoid of offensive producers (save the single few we have had/have) somehow should be doing better on the PP. 

We can’t put the puck in the net.  

We cant put the puck in the net on the PP. 

Why shouldn’t these two go hand in hand as they are?

Coaches can coach but they can’t take the ice. 

Our lack of offensive talent is glaring uniformly.  Sure we have a skater or two that can score, but that’s not enough. 

17 hours ago, WilmingtonCaniac said:

Or, in TD's case, use other people's money, and wait out your co-investors until you're the only one left to get the big buyout money....

• Like 1

Not to add to the dreary mood among fans, but should the Canes “management” decide the season is lost and start moving out players (not tanking, exactly, but increasing the likelihood of a downward spiral), I have zero confidence in Don Waddell or whoever is really running this team, to move the right players for the right assets to truly set this team up for a quick rebound. Colorado and Winnipeg did it, and we have some really nice pieces to build around, but I don’t trust our owner or manager to make the right decisions if it comes to that. Other than the Calgary trade (not looking so good right now) and giving Skinner away, there isn’t much to judge them on. And they have been unable to muster a D for O trade throughout the offseason right through to the present. Does anyone really think Fox will sign with this team given 10 years of playoff futility and a former #7 overall pick sitting in the press box night after night because we are overloaded with D, while we can’t consistently score goals. Status quo is not getting us into the playoffs. We need to make some bold moves to salvage this season as soon as the freeze is over or start looking to the future so that 10;years doesn’t drag to 15. And I’m not thinking call ups from Charlotte are bold moves.

• Like 1

Something is really nagging at me, and while we indulge from time to time in conspiracy theories around here, I'd like to throw this out. I'm not sure where in the rather closed society that is the Hockey World our 2 leaders, Dundon and Waddell, are perceived, but WHAT IF Dundon's obvious disdain for "tradition" has been taken as an affront and a sort of "black ball" mindset, obviously not publicized, now exists? Could this be why it's been so difficult to consummate any trades so far? Think of the snippets we've heard so far this season, We put together a better package for a goalie than another team yet the goalie is traded to that team; or An eleventh hour trade with a western conference team that falls thru? I'd hate to think that some collusion exists, yet I wouldn't put it past some of these Old School owners. Now I know we hear how hard trades are to make, but for me, it seems like we are always on the cusp but never succeed?

On the other hand, it also is quite possible that our GM is just inept? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Something is really nagging at me, and while we indulge from time to time in conspiracy theories around here, I'd like to throw this out. I'm not sure where in the rather closed society that is the Hockey World our 2 leaders, Dundon and Waddell, are perceived, but WHAT IF Dundon's obvious disdain for "tradition" has been taken as an affront and a sort of "black ball" mindset, obviously not publicized, now exists? Could this be why it's been so difficult to consummate any trades so far? Think of the snippets we've heard so far this season, We put together a better package for a goalie than another team yet the goalie is traded to that team; or An eleventh hour trade with a western conference team that falls thru? I'd hate to think that some collusion exists, yet I wouldn't put it past some of these Old School owners. Now I know we hear how hard trades are to make, but for me, it seems like we are always on the cusp but never succeed?

On the other hand, it also is quite possible that our GM is just inept? 

Probably the inept part...but if it's really collusion, and I'm TD or DW, I'm going before the media TOMORROW and naming names of organizations that have screwed us.

6 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Probably the inept part...but if it's really collusion, and I'm TD or DW, I'm going before the media TOMORROW and naming names of organizations that have screwed us.

Therein lies the problem, you are going to appear to be a raving lunatic because there's no proof, thus further ostracizing you from the closed society? Better to just grin and bare it. And hope that you might gain a friend or two? 

• Like 1

We're not in the club, so we won't know.  However, if I were in the club, I'd want a "deal" like some of the other teams got in the trades that have been consummated.   You all know The One I speak of.  I may also not be ringing DW as first choice if past dealings involved lowball offers.

Personally, I don't choose certain car dealers based on my past history with them.  I also have avoided the closest car repair shop to my house due to an unscrupulous quote on work done 30 years ago. 

4 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

You (well, your "good buddy in Chicago") were wrong then, and you ("he") are wrong now. Turbo has been incredibly consistent, and only getting better, throughout his time here, despite an ever-changing cast of characters on his opposite flank. He's on pace for 60-plus points (again) this year, on one of the most offensively impotent teams in hockey. When he's not scoring goals he is putting up primary assists, and vice versa. If you don't believe me, you could look it up--but seeing as you can never be bothered to do that, despite the convenience of the internet (hint, you're on it right now) I won't hold my breath.

My only complaint with TT is that he needs to shoot more. Always looks to make a perfect pass for a higher percentage shot when he already has a clear shot. He likes to get the goalie moving for another shot when at times he is at point blank range.