The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

Was setting up my DVR for the next 2 days, and for FSCR it said "Hurricanes at Columbus (Columbus feed)"  for the columbus game.  What is this Columbus feed stuff?

Had to laugh at the article they just put up about Svechnikov playing his first game.

Apparently Svechnikov used to just look at his old coach and say “Svech is ready” before each game.

Classic.

1 hour ago, hag65 said:

Was setting up my DVR for the next 2 days, and for FSCR it said "Hurricanes at Columbus (Columbus feed)"  for the columbus game.  What is this Columbus feed stuff?

On NHL Network

• Like 1

So after game 1:

It is be clear that our top line should be Turbo / Aho / Svech.

I liked Foegle / Staal / Williams.

I liked McGinn / Necas / Zykov.

Walmark should sit.

4th line against Jackets should be Ferland / Martinook / PDG.

Faulk needs to sit.

Slavin / Pesce

de Haan / Hamilton

Fleury / TVR

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cclifford10 said:

So after game 1:

It is be clear that our top line should be Turbo / Aho / Svech.

I liked Foegle / Staal / Williams.

I liked McGinn / Necas / Zykov.

Walmark should sit.

4th line against Jackets should be Ferland / Martinook / PDG.

Faulk needs to sit.

Slavin / Pesce

de Haan / Hamilton

Fleury / TVR

Faulk is infuriating. He made at least 2 great passes, made a huge hustle play in the Ozone to gain the puck then made about 5 huge errors in the D end

2 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

Faulk is infuriating. He made at least 2 great passes, made a huge hustle play in the Ozone to gain the puck then made about 5 huge errors in the D end

I was hoping for the best based on the talk i was hearing during camp and pre-season, but from what i saw in the last pre-season game and last night, he continues to look good offensively and not-so-good defensively, with a couple doozies in the Dzone in the first period alone that he was lucky didn't end up in the net (to his credit, he hustled and rescued one of them himself).  Almost scored, then almost gave it back.  Drives me bonkers.  Raised my eyebrows at one point in the third with solid hustle in the Ozone to win a puck battle.  If he'd just get the bad passes through the slot in the Dzone out of his system, he'd be solid.

Aside from the miserable shot percentage, which allowed a deja vu flashback in my gut, the sole disappointment I experienced last night at the game was what I sense several of you expressing, that of Faulk of the last few seasons? Viewing him perform in preseason, then seeing him in action last night, I must say that I'm aghast at his Jeckyll and Hyde personification? In his preseason performance, I was willing to concede that I'd been too critical of him for the past 2 years, but last night reaffirmed my past feelings. To be fair, yes he does have moments of brilliance, but these are often negated by glaring problems that at his stage and experience should not be?

And I just wish that someone had asked Brind'amour why he didn't play Dougie more on the PP? Hopefully that is or was not a signal of some type of conflict in his relationship, and just a faux pas on our coach's part?

Now on to bigger and better things tonight, I hope. Wouldn't you know we would be facing 2 goalies in our first 2 games of Vezina quality, even if only 1 of the 2 is just in our mind?

I think a lot of us including me  are forgetting that this is Brind'Amours  rookie year in the NHL  as a coach and he will  learn things as time goes by ,  There is a huge difference from being an assistant  coach to being the real thing and  we might not see all that  what goes in  and  what it takes to be a coach  , let alone at the NHL level .    Im sure with time  Roddy  will  learn from mistakes and  make the right adjustments when needed .   He is  considered the hardest working man in the NHL for a reason  and  that's all I can ask for  . 

What happened to Larry and the organ?  No sign of the organ, I mean, it is gone.  Or moved.  Or something.

This is not to belabor the point or to solidify my position but honestly with Faulk it is all in our individual prejudice on one player. All in, all out or somewhere in the middle he has become the poster child for the success and failure of this team. Anyway this is from CanesCountry

Meanwhile, Justin Faulk looked night and day better in one game than he did all of last season. He was active on defense and made a few plays offensively. Most importantly, he wasn’t a liability in his own end which is where he faltered last year.

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

I think a lot of us including me  are forgetting that this is Brind'Amours  rookie year in the NHL  as a coach and he will  learn things as time goes by ,  There is a huge difference from being an assistant  coach to being the real thing and  we might not see all that  what goes in  and  what it takes to be a coach  , let alone at the NHL level .    Im sure with time  Roddy  will  learn from mistakes and  make the right adjustments when needed .   He is  considered the hardest working man in the NHL for a reason  and  that's all I can ask for  . 

This market cannot handle another learning season.  At this point, it's either win now or risk alienating the fan base or what is left of it.  I am going to bet that there will be s direct correlation between our record this year and team salary.  By the way, this team is dead last un terms of team salary.  Our glorious new owner really likes to spend the big bucks on players it seems.

27 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

and whomever at CC wrote that wasn't watching the game.  Plenty of commentators said quite the opposite. 

Must admit those two awful Dzone turnovers within a couple minutes of each other certainly could have turned into liabilities.  Like i said elsewhere, he almost scored and he almost gave it back.  End result is that neither happened so he didn't affect the outcome of the game to any large extent.  I just hope when he does, it's on the pro side and not the con.  Hopefully tonight...

Edited by realmdrakkar
  • Like 2

There should be no learning curve. When you acquire a defenseman that was tied for the league lead in goals last year, you put him on the #1 PP unit.

...and get Svech off the fourth line ASAP.

...and whoever didn’t see Faulk’s blatant defensive lapses must have been making sandwiches and/or was on the crapper for much of the game.

• Like 1

On the one hand I honestly don't want to pile on Faulk.  On the other hand, what jumped out at me last night several times during the game is that he just has poor judgement as to when to jump and when not to.  And when he makes the wrong decision, he doesn't have the quickness to minimize his mistake. 

I too was dumbfounded that Hamilton wasn't on the point of at least one of our PP units.  During the preseason I was impressed with not just his shot, but also his passing.  I could see playing both Faulk and Hamilton on the same unit, but if it's one or the other, give me Hamilton.

I have to agree with OBXer about the perception bias on Faulk. I agree that he made bad passes and poor judgment calls, but so did the majority of the team including the captain. Several times I caught myself wondering if they were actually trying to pass to Islanders cause if they were it was a nice one...

2 hours ago, wxray1 said:

What happened to Larry and the organ?  No sign of the organ, I mean, it is gone.  Or moved.  Or something.

I noticed that too. It is near our section and no sign of it, yet that terrible DJ is back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

This is not to belabor the point or to solidify my position but honestly with Faulk it is all in our individual prejudice on one player. All in, all out or somewhere in the middle he has become the poster child for the success and failure of this team. Anyway this is from CanesCountry

I will belabor the point. Clearly the admin on the computer in his mom's basement writer at Canes Country had their TV's audio off. Otherwise they might have heard Tripp call out both of Faulk's awful plays, while they were up in the kitchen, getting a PB&J.

Edit to add: Posted this before reading the other comments on OBX's OP. Ky, I nearly went with "crapper"!  

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Need to make a push for Nylander.

I’ve actually considered this option. It costs us nothing if it doesn’t work out and we have cap space if it does. He is clearly unhappy to *edit* up and settle for a hometown discount.