The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

11 minutes ago, winger52 said:

How long will it be before we get to a game 7?

Next season. Six games after opening night  😀

• Like 6

Can we trade Williams, Staal or Rask without salary coming back?  I thought we were at the NHL salary floor (actually, NHLnumbers has us about $400k below the floor).  Moving Darling would also be an issue.  Maybe if we took on another teams bad contract?  Bottom line, I don't think we can swap even one of these guys for an AHLer.

If we need to increase our salary to the floor, there are many serviceable players in the doghouse in their respective orgs.

Michael Frolik - 4.5, and 4 next year.  We could get him for a bag of used pucks and he can help our scoring.

Brandon Pirri - 650K and a UFA after the season.  He plays the middle and is significanly better than what we are trotting out there right now.

If we want to shoot for the moon, STL is selling.  Should we call about ROR or Tarasenko?  Or we could just do the EDM trade for RNH that has been rumored for 3 years now.  Thinking about things like this is better than thinking about the team we are putting out there. We have been unwatchable in our last two and this season is almost lost (it probably is, but I will hang on to that 1% chance).

Congratulations to Justin Williams on 1200 games. I was really surprised by the amount of celebration associated with that accomplishment. 

26 minutes ago, winger52 said:

Congratulations to Justin Williams on 1200 games. I was really surprised by the amount of celebration associated with that accomplishment. 

It took a little prompting from one of his mates, but I like that Williams acknowledged the crowd during the announcement.

Props as well to the Canevision crew for their pregame video of Stormy having a restless sleep, clearly having a nightmare, and then showing the horrifying images of Gritty that he is dreaming about, very funny.

1 hour ago, winger52 said:

It was also a 200 game for McE

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red_Storm said:

It took a little prompting from one of his mates, but I like that Williams acknowledged the crowd during the announcement.

Props as well to the Canevision crew for their pregame video of Stormy having a restless sleep, clearly having a nightmare, and then showing the horrifying images of Gritty that he is dreaming about, very funny.

I was being sarcastic. The Hurricanes organization was sadly lacking.

17 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Dundon really hates our away jerseys, wouldn’t be surprised to see a change in the near future.

I guess this is what he meant (along with us wearing our reds on the road before) when he said he was “working with the league on some stuff.”

I don’t like our away sweaters either.

45 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Dundon really hates our away jerseys, wouldn’t be surprised to see a change in the near future.

I guess this is what he meant (along with us wearing our reds on the road before) when he said he was “working with the league on some stuff.”

I don’t like our away sweaters either.

Yeah it appears the road whites are on the outs. Couldn't happen too soon for me. Maybe he will put the flag border back on new ones next year

1 hour ago, winger52 said:

I was being sarcastic. The Hurricanes organization was sadly lacking.

This shouldn't surprise many on here? I do not know how many on these boards go to our games, but I am blessed to have the means and energy to have been an STH for many years. As such, I am becoming more than a little concerned by the deteriorating amenities which were the initial "rallying cry" of our fearless leader, versus what I'm experiencing. Now I'm sure that the less than stellar results so far this season are focusing my discontent on nitpicking issues, but when you are seeing less and less quality in these "little things", it's not a huge leap to begin to buy into the "cheapskate" label emerging about our owner. 

One example I'll point out is in respect to the lineup. In years past, this little amenity was available at multiple sites around the lower level. Now, you can get these in only a single site, so if a fan doesn't want to walk around the lower level, you likely won't have these sheets. Additionally, if one gets this sheet, look at it. Every one of mine have had blurred areas in the printing.

Food is another issue. Less available, no change in variety for past 10 years, and have repeatedly asked for something "plant based", i.e. vegan, and no response?

Cheap momentos are dwindling, although I could care less on these, but some do?

Does any of this matter, I'd argue that when we are winning, NO. Losses put a different light on things, and a decade worth of missing playoffs increases wattage. Lacking reasonably goal tending until this year, a true #1C since E Staal decided to play without heart, being told to "be patient" and all the rest of the charades surrounding this team, from owner on down, are more than tiresome, particularly when teams around us seem to be making strides and we appear, once again, on the cusp.    

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

One example I'll point out is in respect to the lineup. In years past, this little amenity was available at multiple sites around the lower level.

Food is another issue. Less available, no change in variety for past 10 years, and have repeatedly asked for something "plant based", i.e. vegan, and no response?

Cheap momentos are dwindling, although I could care less on these, but some do?

KJUN: exactly.  Here's the deal, it isn't just one thing, it is many.

Lineup sheets: actually, they were also available at the little Eye Annex locations on the upper floor.  No more.

Food: Cafe 314 had some vegan options, and other sort of healthy options.  It has been permanently shuttered starting this year.  Other food booths upstairs are randomly closed most games, including the popular Waffle Ice Cream booths on some of the hottest days.  (Great planning!)  But don't lose hope!  <sarcasm> They changed "Fire It Up" to "Surf & Turf" </sarcasm>

Momentos: I don't care, but a lot of people do.

Organ: it evaporated.  Larry is only bits on an SD card on DJ Mr. Wiz's console.

But we are told we're going to get a projector system.  And Mr. TD wanted that Gee Wiz son of Jerry Jones' scoreboard, which fell through.  Maybe the plan was that the scoreboard would wow us so much we'd forget everything else.  Kind of like a magician distracts you while he yanks the dove out of his sleeve.

Edited by wxray1

Thanks for giving me something to look forward to in late March...sheesh ;)
Next, you'll tell me that there's no more tailgating...

8 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Thanks for giving me something to look forward to in late March...sheesh ;)
Next, you'll tell me that there's no more tailgating...

Who plans a road trip to a Canes game in late March.  :rofl:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

Who plans a road trip to a Canes game in late March.  :rofl:

When it’s a daddy/daughter trip over a Sat/Sun slate of games?  Me

• Like 2

Besides, she’s six now...time for her to learn about how to handle defeat and disappointment, and this is a prime place to learn that ;)

On 1/1/2019 at 5:30 PM, OBXer said:

Yeah it appears the road whites are on the outs. Couldn't happen too soon for me. Maybe he will put the flag border back on new ones next year

Well, that's two votes against the white sweaters and one against the red.

What does the Committee do? Black for 80 of 82 games and green/blue for two, or green/blue at home and blue/green on the road? :D

I decide to watch the Pens -Rangers game tonight. Henrik voted to All Star game and I wanted to see how he was playing. What a disaster. He should just decline to play, and let anybody who can stop puck play. I guess when the NY press refers to you as king you feel like you don't have to give an effort.

5 minutes ago, winger52 said:

I decide to watch the Pens -Rangers game tonight. Henrik voted to All Star game and I wanted to see how he was playing. What a disaster. He should just decline to play, and let anybody who can stop puck play. I guess when the NY press refers to you as king you feel like you don't have to give an effort.

I think there are no other options for All-Star game from Rangers. Kind of selecting Hanifin from Canes last year.

Watching the IIHF World Junior Tourney. Canada eliminated by Finland and Sweden upset by the Swiss. Team USA beat the Czech Republic.

Edited by hopper915

3 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

Watching the IIHF World Junior Tourney. Canada eliminated by Finland and Sweden upset by the Swiss. Team USA beat the Czech Republic.

Necas got an assist for Czech.

4 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Besides, she’s six now...time for her to learn about how to handle defeat and disappointment, and this is a prime place to learn that ;)

Get her started now. I first got season tickets the year after the Stanley Cup (mini-pack), to take my 9 year old daughter. We continued to go to 12-15 games a year until she graduated from high school. Many great memories, the best being going to all of the playoff games in 2009. She is a fan for life, and we still get to a couple games per year even though she is in college. Going to games with her when she was young and we were at least playoff competitive most years was priceless.

3 hours ago, JonKerfoot said:

Well, that's two votes against the white sweaters and one against the red.

What does the Committee do? Black for 80 of 82 games and green/blue for two, or green/blue at home and blue/green on the road? :D

Could we wear red at home and black away (except against the Pens/Ducks where they already have too much black). If not, I guess we’ll see new white sweaters next year, which suits me fine.