Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

 

This market cannot handle another learning season.  At this point, it's either win now or risk alienating the fan base or what is left of it.  I am going to bet that there will be s direct correlation between our record this year and team salary.  By the way, this team is dead last un terms of team salary.  Our glorious new owner really likes to spend the big bucks on players it seems.

Here's the thing concerning Dundon and his wallet, it's a 2 way street. Guys have to accept any offer made. Hockey players are very different for other athletes in that they usually dont chase dollar bills so cant say "just pay them". Until HCRB gets the rep and the yutes learn how to win its gonna be hard to attract top talent. They dont care about weather, they care about culture, winning, and opportunity everything else they get is a bonus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

Here's the thing concerning Dundon and his wallet, it's a 2 way street. Guys have to accept any offer made. Hockey players are very different for other athletes in that they usually dont chase dollar bills so cant say "just pay them". Until HCRB gets the rep and the yutes learn how to win its gonna be hard to attract top talent. They dont care about weather, they care about culture, winning, and opportunity everything else they get is a bonus.

This market will mean its always going to be hard to attract talent. We couldn’t even do it on the heels of winning the Cup in 2006. A lot of players just will not consider a smaller and/or non traditional market, even with the draw of a much lower cost of living, decent weather, ability to live their own life with minimal fan intrusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

This market cannot handle another learning season.  At this point, it's either win now or risk alienating the fan base or what is left of it. 

Where have I heard this before...

 

OH. RIGHT. YOU, EACH OF THE LAST FIVE YEARS. And as for this...

 

10 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

I am going to bet that there will be s direct correlation between our record this year and team salary.  By the way, this team is dead last un terms of team salary.

I'll take that bet, because Aho and TT skew our total. The two of them alone will cost the org another $8 million next year, and that's before you factor in Fleury and McGinn. Those four deals will put the Canes in the meaty part of the list next year, but we're already getting a level of play from all four which far outstrips their current salaries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was watching the Kings vs. Sharks game and between periods each member of the broadcast team was asked to make one bold prediction. 

 

The first guy said “the Carolina Hurricanes will make the playoffs.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kyrule said:

Was watching the Kings vs. Sharks game and between periods each member of the broadcast team was asked to make one bold prediction. 

 

The first guy said “the Carolina Hurricanes will make the playoffs.”

I get the fact we've made prognosticators look dumb the last few times when they've made the prediction, but I really think the stars have aligned this year for us to be a serious threat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, caneswincup said:

This market will mean its always going to be hard to attract talent. We couldn’t even do it on the heels of winning the Cup in 2006. A lot of players just will not consider a smaller and/or non traditional market, even with the draw of a much lower cost of living, decent weather, ability to live their own life with minimal fan intrusion.

 

Nashville and Tampa?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still plenty of GDT starters open. Anyone want the Canucks game? 

 

If not we'll just post team names and leave it at that, so anything would be better than that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not buying that this area can not attract top talent.  The fans will come if the team is relevant.  As for winning culture, what has Toronto and Montreal won recently, or for this generation of players?  Raleigh has great weather, is a good spot to raise a family, is close to lots of recreational spots, and there's always the early spring tee times.  I keeed, i keeed.

 

Lockouts hurt in this non traditional market.  PK's cheapness leading up to a team sale hurt.  Losing year after year hurt. Uncertainly with the team being for sale hurt.  A general lack of any organizational direction hurt.  A lot of things hurt in attracting free agents.  I'm still going to say one of the main reasons the team has had trouble in attracting free agents is the Charlestown Chiefs level of a practice facility.  That is now being addressed.  All other things being equal, who wants to practice half the time in the *edit* hole the Canes have had.

 

That being said, expensive UFA's aren't the answer.  Smart drafting and development is the key.  Also, you need to get guys that play the kind of hockey you want to play.

 

edit:  also as negatives, I forgot AWACS is sometimes in attendance and GD thread starter.  That rep is probably getting around the league and moving Vegas lines?

Edited by super_dave_1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, remkin said:

Still plenty of GDT starters open. Anyone want the Canucks game? 

 

If not we'll just post team names and leave it at that, so anything would be better than that!

 I'm your huckleberry 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've had the championship belt, the fire hat, the ax, etc.  With Roddy at the helm, I think we need a new MVP award.  I suggest...

 

IMG_0373.thumb.PNG.89227d1eda27fbb00f0622436294fa0e.PNG

 

Wouldnt it be great to see a guy being interviewed with a pair of 6" diameter brass balls hanging around his neck?

 

ALWAYS

BE

CHECKING

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of probably too early thoughts on a ridiculously early season.

 

  • The high degree of randomness/variability in the NHL game: I believe the Canes had 4 posts in the first game (1 for the Isles).  2 inches of difference in shots and we win in regulation.
  • We talk about the improved defense, but McElhinny had a Vezina quality game last night.  With tending like last year's, we probably go to OT tied 3-3.  On the other hand, the D only gave up 1 goal in regulation opening night, and really suppressed the Isles' chances.
  • McElhinney: I love not just the result, but also how he looked last night.  I was really surprised that a 35 yo career backup was as quick and as flexible as he was.  I'm trying to keep my expectations in check just a bit, as I don't think it's realistic to expect a performance like that from him every game.  I also wonder about how many games we can expect him to start at this point in his career without degrading his performance.  Still, I love this pickup.  I think McElhinny will be more than solid as part of a tandem, and that there's a chance that McElhinney may have as big an impact on the upcoming season as any of our other offseason moves.
  • Darling has looked way better than last year, but still, my eye test doesn't put him in the ideal #1 starter category.  But the consensus is that we should be ok as long as he can rise to the level of at least an average NHL goaltender.  Will he get there?
  • Mrazek has looked decent, but given his history of wild inconsistency, who knows what he'll bring this season?
  • Aho will prove to be a legit #1 center by the end of the season.
  • I haven't seen anything from Hamilton that would belie his rep as not great defensively. Hopefully, playing along d-men like Slavin, Pesce, and DeHaan will prompt him to pick up that part of his game. Also, let's put him at the point on our first PP unit to maximize his offensive potential.
  • The kids: 
  1. Svech is the real deal and will give a legitimate top 6 performance by the end of the season. 
  2. Necas too, but the question is how long it takes him to reach that next level?  A graphic from the first game listed him as 6'2" tall and 167llbs.  That can't be right, but even if he's 10 lbs heavier, that's still really slight.  How will he hold up over the course of an NHL season?
  3. Foegele is going to be a difference maker this season.  He makes things happen when he's out there.  He might not ever be a star, but he's the kind of player you like to have on your team no matter what sport you're playing.
  4. Zykov:  the verdict is still out as to whether he can be more than a power play specialist.
  5. Wallmark:  hopefully he starts to feel more comfortable and approaches a level of play closer to what he did in the AHL last season.  If not, it might make sense to bring up McKegg and give him a shot.  He's older, more mature, and may be better suited to hold down the center spot on the 4th line until Rask gets back.

Like I said, it's early, but those are some of my thoughts 2 games in. 

 

Edited by LakeLivin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

We've had the championship belt, the fire hat, the ax, etc.  With Roddy at the helm, I think we need a new MVP award.  I suggest...

 

IMG_0373.thumb.PNG.89227d1eda27fbb00f0622436294fa0e.PNG

 

Wouldnt it be great to see a guy being interviewed with a pair of 6" diameter brass balls hanging around his neck?

 

ALWAYS

BE

CHECKING

 

Only thing about brass balls, you have to bring the monkey in on cold nights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

 

Nashville and Tampa?

Florida doesn’t have an income tax. If I’m not mistaken, Tennessee does not either. I do believe attracting players has a lot to do with who they will be playing with. Tampa has Stamkos, Kucherov, among others. If Aho and Svech develop into top tier players, it will be easier to attract guys to play with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluedevilcane said:

Florida doesn’t have an income tax. If I’m not mistaken, Tennessee does not either. I do believe attracting players has a lot to do with who they will be playing with. Tampa has Stamkos, Kucherov, among others. If Aho and Svech develop into top tier players, it will be easier to attract guys to play with them.

State tax is an over rated issue. Pro athletes pay tax in every state they play in. States that don’t have income tax make it up in other ways

Edited by super_dave_1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of you who can’t get HNIC, his royal majesty, Sir Donald S Cherry just went OFF in Coach’s Corner on the Leafs for letting BigMac go on waivers, and they’ll regret it all the way to a first or second round exit.  ?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOOONG time reader, first time saying anything though. 

With regards to bringing talent to Raleigh, I'd like to weigh in. Hopefully with no offense taken. 

I lived in Raleigh for many years. I watched us win The Cup while seated in Kevyn Adams massage chair. (My gf babysat for them during home games). I live in Charleston, SC and did so before living in Raleigh.

I will say this, while Raleigh is a great place to raise a family, has a great education system, and is growing culturally, if I were a 20-something bad*** in a sport, Raleigh would not be on my radar. These guys desire a certain lifestyle that Raleigh simply can't offer. 

I take nothing away from the city, but put yourself in their... skates.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside from my previous rant...

It's great to see the new system that Rod has implemented.

We are aggressive and relentless! This is what we've needed!

We are the honey badger of the NHL right now. No animal fears the honey badger because of its size, they fear it because it is a relentless, aggressive, son of a b**** that won't back down. 

 

In Rod we trust!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ChucktownCane said:

LOOONG time reader, first time saying anything though. 

With regards to bringing talent to Raleigh, I'd like to weigh in. Hopefully with no offense taken. 

I lived in Raleigh for many years. I watched us win The Cup while seated in Kevyn Adams massage chair. (My gf babysat for them during home games). I live in Charleston, SC and did so before living in Raleigh.

I will say this, while Raleigh is a great place to raise a family, has a great education system, and is growing culturally, if I were a 20-something bad*** in a sport, Raleigh would not be on my radar. These guys desire a certain lifestyle that Raleigh simply can't offer. 

I take nothing away from the city, but put yourself in their... skates.

True what you say Ctcane, but I'd just offer this. When there's talk of "attracting a player", the younger ones to whom you make a good point about as desiring of shall we say, glitzy lifestyle, are not those we are aiming at attracting for the most part. By that , I mean, those younger ones we have drafted, so they've got no choice in where they live and the big city lights. Its the more veteran players on 2nd or 3rd contracts, who "choose" to go to this town or that. They are the ones whom it would be nice to be a known as a desirous destination for in their decision process. AND, further, if they are "veteran", then chances are they are married, likely have kids, and would be more settled? Just a thought.

 

BTW, loved your use of the animal "Honey Badger", as he was my favorite player at LSU. Ironically, I am wearing his T-shirt as I type this.

Edited by KJUNKANE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

If I’m not mistaken, Tennessee does not either.

Yes and no. Tennessee's "income" tax (6 percent) is levied only on the annual appreciation ("income") of investments (stocks, bonds, notes receivable), not salary. 

 

I don't buy the crap about nobody wanting to come here either, I think it's just an excuse fans have told themselves, instead of putting blame where it belongs, on the cheap former majority owner.

 

The presence of the core group from the Cup year will only help attract guys going forward. Willy doubtless made a lot of connections in LA and DC, and is hugely respected around the league. He is committed to living here, and to winning. Same with Roddy, Cole, Timmy, and others. 

 

Philly became a hockey hotbed and destination for top talent almost instantly, and has remained so because the Flyers' owner was committed to the area. Flying by night out of Hartford and playing for a couple of years in a facility 90 minutes from your supposed home city is not a legacy you overcome easily, but hopefully the change in ownership - and culture - and the commitment of former players will finally put the mismanagement of PK era where it belongs: in the past. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ChucktownCane said:

These guys desire a certain lifestyle that Raleigh simply can't offer. 

 

Welcome Chucktown.

 

I think what each player wants is as individual as each player. I agree that some crave the spotlight and constant scrutiny of an NYC, Montreal, LA, or Toronto. But others don't. Tampa Bay is Q-tip heaven. It wouldn't even have a team but for the involvement of Phil Esposito, and the fact that a zillion northerners have retired there. It also helps that it has three major sports franchises. But about as exciting as it gets otherwise is the Dali museum. Nonetheless, look at that roster.

 

This is not to say Raleigh couldn't be doing more around nightlife and attractions, it could (and should). But I do think the argument that athletes in general - and hockey players in particular - want that is overdone. In season, the games are too many and the travel too much (and the training requirements too demanding) to go out and party up. Off season, everybody heads back to Canada or Europe or wherever to recuperate and train for next season.

 

I think it comes down to what it always does: the bottom line. I also think we already have the core group that will take us to the next level. It will be interesting indeed to see if TD ponies up and pays them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...