The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

and the Wooo's were plentiful.

I am thinking we need to change our name to the "Owls" . LOL  Very fun to watch us stuff the Preds on many levels.  AHO is the best Ive seen in a long time on this team.  Stlll a young un but his Smoking of Subban was worth the price of admission.

• Like 1

Some of you are really having your head turned by the pretty woman walking by.  While this has been great to see, I'll wait a bit longer before I start planning the parade.

I'm still in the one game at a time mind set but it sure is enjoyable having my head turned watching these guys play.

Some of you are really having your head turned by the pretty woman walking by.  While this has been great to see, I'll wait a bit longer before I start planning the parade. I've let myself be disappointed by this group on a regular basis for a decade now.  I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, but the team is still on the outside looking in.

As to coastal's comment about the building.  I was there for the Friday Buffalo game, and he is right.  There is a buzz in the building that I haven't heard in a long time.  It was a good sized crowd, even if 1/3 of them were of the enemy nature.  Canes fans shut them down, and the Wooo's were plentiful.   The recent crowds prove that this area will support a good on ice product.  Also as coastal said, Tom, don't kick us in the cods.  We have a couple of players that need to be paid.  There is a trade or two that needs to be made.  Get a crowbar out and py open that checkbook.

I don't think we have our head turned yet.  We have been looking at the Marley Drug girl from very afar for a while now.  Despite the winning 7 of the last 8, we still haven't caught up to the MD Girl just yet.  We do get happier the closer we get though.  :winning: is always good.

Edited by gocanes0506

Looking at the schedule.  The next couple of stretches are very important for us. We have a ton of away games, 9 of the next 12 on the road.

The remainder of the month:

@Rangers, 2 days between, Ottawa, 1 day, @EDM,  1 day, @CAL, and @ VAN (b2b).  We need to win 3 of the 5 and can afford to lose 1 and OT loss in another.  Sounds like a high demand after winning 7 of the last 8 but....

After the AS Break February is awful to open up.

Vegas, 1 day, Calgary, 1 day, @ PIT, 1 day @ BUF, @NYR (B2B), 1 day @NJD, 1 day @OTT, 2 days, EDM, DAL (B2B).

That is a lot crammed into the first 16 days of February along with some tough opponents.

If we get another 7 points in January.  I am thinking we will need another 11 of 18 points in the first part of February to still be hanging around.  The last 12 days of February we have 4 games.  Couldn't they have taken at least one of the 9 and put it in the back 12 of February?!?!? The last 4 games in February are winnable (and really have to be won) against NYR, @Florida, @DAL, and LAK.  March comes and we have 12 of the 16 against currently in the playoffs squads. 

Again seems rough to say we have to get 7 of the next 10 points after getting 14 in the last 16 but the schedule gets real tough after that. Either an awful schedule due to travel and time or by the massive amount of playoff caliber opponents we play.  Of course adding in any and all momentum going into the AS Break will have to be rekindled. 

• Like 1

McKegg is an emergency callup. When Bishop comes back does he (McKegg) have to be sent back to Charlotte?  If so I hope they buy him a round trip ticket.

1 minute ago, OBXer said:

McKegg is an emergency callup. When Bishop comes back does he (McKegg) have to be sent back to Charlotte?  If so I hope they buy him a round trip ticket.

I hope we keep McKegg and give Foegele some time down. Need Foegele to practice some scoring. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Bishop get a conditioning stint though.

McKegg technically has to go down but my understanding could be immediately recalled. I think Mike Smith answered it in his Twitter questions last week. Don't know if that means someone else has to go down or what though.

McKegg has earned the right to be here.  The 4th line is playing really well.  I wish Foegele would stop gripping the stick so tight. He is getting himself into good positions, but cannot control the puck...

• Like 2

I can see a lot of good in Foegele's game, but he needs to hit that last bit to become a guy who can consistently contribute offense at the NHL level. I think it's a combination of things. First, it's hard. A lot of guys have trouble pushing that last little bit from competent NHL player to producer. Second, he's still a rookie. And Third, it's confidence IMO.  

I've long advocated giving Foegele a press box spell. So many players have commented on how the game slows down from that view. Further, it's a long season. A game or two off won't kill him. The next thing is the question of down and up with the AHL. I don't know why a short stint in the AHL to work on his skill game and confidence would kill him. 

I think about that spin from the boards, drive to the net and finish move he did last year. More of that. 

I think Foegele will come back and really step up a notch next season. But can he access that this season? He does seem on the edge of it.

In terms of schedule, one thing seems clear. This team is better when it just keeps playing games. Anything more than two days off and we seem to lose something. And aside from the All star break the schedule keeps us playing. We have no breaks longer than 3 games and only one that is 3 games. 

Of course it could start to work against us, but we just seem to do better playing regularly. During this streak, we had two days off between win 1 and 2, and since then only single days off. 

As gocanes has pointed out, there are two tough road trips upcoming. The stretch from Sunday to Feb 12th is critical. This is after the next two, (which is why it is so key to keep this roll going into NY and vs Ottawa). Basically those 10 games could be the ones that tell the tale. 8 road games and home to two very good, rolling teams: Vegas and Calgary. 

If we look up and we're still 3 points out or better on Feb 13, we'll have a run of 7 very winnable games before it gets tricky again, but more importantly have maintained the pace over a brutal stretch. Maybe then we can start to hope? I think I will.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 5:29 PM, caniac6 said:

Spend money on players. Who cares about DJs, projectors, scoreboards,ect.

That's because the projectors scoreboards are not TDs money. The players are. Makes sense what was done first.

On 1/13/2019 at 10:47 PM, remkin said:

Yes Sleek. True that. It's funny because one of the nice things about watching a game you already know Aho dominated was listening to John and Trip talk him up before the game and early, before he scored. "Will Sebastian Aho continue this?" To which I could honestly reply to the TV: "just wait and see."

5 goals and 6 points in......TWO games? 

He is 1.13 points per game on pace for 93 points. 

He is #19 in the league in points and ahead of such names as Malkin, Panarin, Tavares, Ovechkin, Eichel, Backstrom, and many more. 

And this is where the ownership hopefully has changed their mindset.In the past RF stated everyone wants to get a goal scorer but we already have one,its Jeff Skinner. Aho is playing lights out and is potential super star. I hope he isnt the designated sole team star.Cant we have two? Another huge proven scorer would make us so deadly and not give teams one face to worry about.

On 1/13/2019 at 11:56 PM, AWACSooner said:

Looking ahead...anyone else watching the Flames recently?  They’re the highest scoring team in the third with 60 goals...and they’re currently up 7-1 on the Yotes.  This is the SIXTH time this season they’ve put 7 on the board.

Yah...that’s gonna be a hell of a game on the 22nd.

Scary good.

On 1/14/2019 at 9:34 AM, gocanes0506 said:

Looking at the schedule.  The next couple of stretches are very important for us. We have a ton of away games, 9 of the next 12 on the road.

The remainder of the month:

@Rangers, 2 days between, Ottawa, 1 day, @EDM,  1 day, @CAL, and @ VAN (b2b).  We need to win 3 of the 5 and can afford to lose 1 and OT loss in another.  Sounds like a high demand after winning 7 of the last 8 but....

After the AS Break February is awful to open up.

Vegas, 1 day, Calgary, 1 day, @ PIT, 1 day @ BUF, @NYR (B2B), 1 day @NJD, 1 day @OTT, 2 days, EDM, DAL (B2B).

That is a lot crammed into the first 16 days of February along with some tough opponents.

If we get another 7 points in January.  I am thinking we will need another 11 of 18 points in the first part of February to still be hanging around.  The last 12 days of February we have 4 games.  Couldn't they have taken at least one of the 9 and put it in the back 12 of February?!?!? The last 4 games in February are winnable (and really have to be won) against NYR, @Florida, @DAL, and LAK.  March comes and we have 12 of the 16 against currently in the playoffs squads. 

Again seems rough to say we have to get 7 of the next 10 points after getting 14 in the last 16 but the schedule gets real tough after that. Either an awful schedule due to travel and time or by the massive amount of playoff caliber opponents we play.  Of course adding in any and all momentum going into the AS Break will have to be rekindled. 

Yep, our away schedule is brutal and the test at hand. If we are successful on the west coast trip it will get my head pointing in the right direction

On 1/14/2019 at 11:39 AM, OBXer said:

I'd send Bishop down on a conditioning stint.

On 1/14/2019 at 8:59 AM, OBXer said:

I'm still in the one game at a time mind set but it sure is enjoyable having my head turned watching these guys play.

After a miserable 2 months of nothing but negative here on the board and as a Canes fan in general, Its nice to have a big 'ol winning streak and be within striking distance.  We have all been here before though in January and we know what has happened the last 9 seasons.  Cautiously optimistic right? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Danimal38 said:

We have all been here before though in January and we know what has happened the last 9 seasons.  Cautiously optimistic right? 

Right. This is the elephant in the room. Tame the beast.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 12:46 PM, remkin said:

In terms of schedule, one thing seems clear. This team is better when it just keeps playing games. Anything more than two days off and we seem to lose something. And aside from the All star break the schedule keeps us playing. We have no breaks longer than 3 games and only one that is 3 games. 

Of course it could start to work against us, but we just seem to do better playing regularly. During this streak, we had two days off between win 1 and 2, and since then only single days off. 

As gocanes has pointed out, there are two tough road trips upcoming. The stretch from Sunday to Feb 12th is critical. This is after the next two, (which is why it is so key to keep this roll going into NY and vs Ottawa). Basically those 10 games could be the ones that tell the tale. 8 road games and home to two very good, rolling teams: Vegas and Calgary. 

If we look up and we're still 3 points out or better on Feb 13, we'll have a run of 7 very winnable games before it gets tricky again, but more importantly have maintained the pace over a brutal stretch. Maybe then we can start to hope? I think I will.

This team doesn't seem to mind B2B's either in fact I think they have jump in the second game.

Interesting Tom interview on Sirius XM.  We'll have some bleed over with player movement.

A. Aho will stay in Carolina.  He said they talked in the pre-season.  Aho asked to focus on hockey and they do not want get in .his way

B. They havent and will not wait until the trade deadline to make a move.  Interesting that he mentioned change of scenery deals but probably means nothing. He did mention we'll go day by day to see where we are (i assume meaning being buyers or not).

C. He reaffirmed that if there is a player that makes the team better that he will go out and spend the money for them

D. He doesnt hate the whites he just believes the color on color looks better on the white ice.  He also doesnt necessarily like our whites.  Did say they are re-designing the whites and he may change his mind about the whites next year.  

E. The recent 'never take a defenseman during the first round' comment was an exaggeration.  It is the team's strength so "we'll probably be leaning a certain direction during the draft."

So couple of interesting points.  We should see new white uniforms next season

I dont think we'll see Aho signed until the off-season, which Tom made it seem like that is at Aho's request.  I dont think they have talked much, if at all, during the season.  Plenty of guys like to wait (Marner is a recent example).

No talk of Turbo or Ferland

Edited by gocanes0506

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

This team doesn't seem to mind B2B's either in fact I think they have jump in the second game.

Just to check, admittedly small N values, but I wanted to check the other thing that coaches and players say is the worst: 3rd game in 4 nights. And...yup, we thrive on them. And 3 or more days off games? Not so much:

3rd game in 4 nights: 6-1-1 and 5 in a row since Dec  16th.

3 or more days off: 2-4 (both wins were OT).

At least till now, we are better off with a busy schedule. Outside of the All Star break, that's mainly what the rest of the year is.

Dang, missed the XM interview.  Not listening enough to XM lately. 

What is interesting about the white uniforms is when they did the redesign 6 years ago or so, we overwhelmingly agreed the aways were better than the homes.  The homes were redesigned pretty quickly because they were so hideous.  Glad to see the aways get another look.

Now, about that loss last night and the cancellation of The Cup parade permit...  Losses will happen.  HOWEVER, the fact is the Canes must keep up a torrid pace of winning 2 out of 3, in total, from here on out.  Possible, but difficult.   That means any 3 game losing streak requires a 6 game win streak.  Or, string a bunch of 3 and 4 wins in a row and a 2 in a row loser can be absorbed.  50-50 won't do it.

At this point, it is fun to watch sportsclubstats.   Every win is getting the Canes up about 6% of a chance, every loss costs 10% down.  It is tenuous! 

I attached a zoom in of the "chance in playoffs" graph and you can see how the downs go fast, and the ups go slowly.

odds.JPG

Playoff contention will drive the train of the long list of interesting decisions the brain trust has to make over the next 7-8 months.

Goalie situation top to bottom in the organization. Have to make a decision on 4 goalies.

Adding Scoring

How long of a contract to offer RFAs

Who stays on D

another squad that has to make some interesting and possibly in the near future decisions is Columbus. Panarin and Bob are one foot out already. Do they hurt their playoff success chances and move those two or keep them for in hopes of playoff success and lose them for nothing?  

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

At this point, it is fun to watch sportsclubstats.   Every win is getting the Canes up about 6% of a chance, every loss costs 10% down.  It is tenuous! 

I attached a zoom in of the "chance in playoffs" graph and you can see how the downs go fast, and the ups go slowly.

odds.JPG

That is a pretty good visual indication of why so few teams can climb the mountain if too far out by January 1 (let alone Thanksgiving). 

I do think we have a better shot than most as it's becoming a 4 team race so long as we don't swan dive, but it's still a battle. 

Not only do you need winning streaks, but you need to limit losing streaks. 

The Rangers loss is the almost unavoidable flat game, but that means Ottawa becomes close to a must win game with the West Coast trip coming up, and we simply can't go out West and get stymied. But there is some hope at least.