The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

Thing is, while Bishop has been good, McKegg has been better, at least offensively. Rask is not going to sit for any length of time in reality. So even though McKegg was the emergency call up, if Bishop is ready who do you keep? For that matter who gets in tomorrow? I'm thinking we'd like to keep rolling McKegg as long as we're mostly winning. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, remkin said:

Thing is, while Bishop has been good, McKegg has been better, at least offensively. Rask is not going to sit for any length of time in reality. So even though McKegg was the emergency call up, if Bishop is ready who do you keep? For that matter who gets in tomorrow? I'm thinking we'd like to keep rolling McKegg as long as we're mostly winning. 

I'd keep McKegg as I think he has more skills and Hockey sense.

I think we might see Darling or Ned as an emergency call up for Friday.

McE is dealing with knee soreness (Cory and Michael reporting this).  To make things worse, Mrazek got up slow after a collision in practice (reported by Cory Lavalette).

31 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I think we might see Darling or Ned as an emergency call up for Friday.

McE is dealing with knee soreness (Cory and Michael reporting this).  To make things worse, Mrazek got up slow after a collision in practice (reported by Cory Lavalette).

Please do not even go there, I'm looking forward to going to that game! Ned is hovering around .900 and Mongo can't even hit that.

Not only do we need to keep winning, but again, I'm going to the game, and it's all about me.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, remkin said:

Rask is not going to sit for any length of time in reality. 

This was quite prophetic in hindsight.

• Like 1

On Bishop v. McKegg, Bishop does not have to clear waivers, right? Pretty sure McKegg would get claimed. Makes the decision easier if that’s the case. And he has earned a spot with his play, though Bishop was doing fine before he got hurt.

3 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Pretty sure McKegg would get claimed

McKegg was an emergency call up. Once J and Bishop ready to go he has to be sent back down although they could call him right back up

I'm just saying that maybe hiring the best personnel has some merit despite cost.

Islanders, first in the metro. AFTER LOSING TAVARES.

Doesn't matter what we do for winning streaks at this point...we will not make the playoffs.  Habs win, Isles win, Slugs are winning tonight.  We will not catch any of them.

And we'll all come back in September with reasons to be optimistic and just go through the motions yet again because we're all certified masochists!

• Like 2

Unfortunately 9 points out with the line up we ice seems pretty impossible. Almost no team has done it, and after the last 2 nights, it's clear that this team doesn't have the horses to be one of the rare exceptions. I appreciate the run they went on, but there was some smoke and there were some mirrors associated with that run.

I really hope I'm wrong. I was thrilled when it looked possible for that brief moment, that we'd be the exception. But it is more likely than not that this next run of 8/10 games on the road, puts us entirely out of our misery. 

Prove me wrong Canes. I'll eat my hat and crow and cancel my mid-April vacation plans.

I wonder if  the canes are being properly trained  during practice  , the one thing  that i've seen with successful  coaches in the past  is that they  always  take into account on who  is trying  to  make things happen vs  not  .  Last nights game was one of the worst  games i  had ever seen  and  what kept flaring up  was  a  communication breakdown .   When you have players that are on the same page  with each other it is a beautiful thing  , and we have all seen glimpses of that perfection coming together  this season   .  The trick is getting everyone on the same page  so that we can have a coherent story  all the time instead of some of the time .   That is  what great coaches  can bring out of their players  and  when i think of the coaching staff  for the canes vs the one for the checkers  it's  like a night an day difference .  granted the skill level   is vastly different also  for both leagues   ( ahl / nhl )    but  it still rings true .     That Checkers coach has got them boys drinking  the kool aid  and it is paying off  .   I would love to see Brind'amour  have the same  success  and yes he is a rookie coach , maybe he will learn it in the future  and  be a winner  . but not yet .   The canes have not been the same force  since losing Peter Laviolette  .   We all had hopes  that Brind'amour  could ride the ship around  and maybe he can  ,  but i have a hard time believing   that it  is now .   Take your #redvolutions    your #TakeWarnings   and throw them out the window   because  this is just not our year .   I hope   the canes can find a way to turn it around . 

10 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

I  Wonder what would it take to get Steve Yzerman to become the GM for the Canes ?  Selling my soul to the devil ?  cause i would do it !

Wont happen. Steve is going to Detroit.

OK I haven't posted this earlier but it's time to call this current team what it actually is. We thought after 10 years our rebuild would be completed and be well on our way to success. Unfortunately we are beginning rebuild 2.0 under TD. When TD states the team is undergoing a "Culture Change", what he is really stating is we need to rebuild. TD wants toughness, mentally and physically. Look at our players moved out/in for the direction he wants to go. This team is still several pieces away from being a game to game contributor and it may take another few years before it happens. If TD can accelerate the process the pain may only be for a few more years.

2 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

OK I haven't posted this earlier but it's time to call this current team what it actually is. We thought after 10 years our rebuild would be completed and be well on our way to success. Unfortunately we are beginning rebuild 2.0 under TD. When TD states the team is undergoing a "Culture Change", what he is really stating is we need to rebuild. TD wants toughness, mentally and physically. Look at our players moved out/in for the direction he wants to go. This team is still several pieces away from being a game to game contributor and it may take another few years before it happens. If TD can accelerate the process the pain may only be for a few more years.

I will agree that we are going through another rebuild.of sorts.

we are one top 6 center(because Necas will open as a winger) and goalie situation away from being good. Our 3-4 lines are set for a long time.  

SAT

Nino-???-Necas 

Martinook-Staal-Foegele/McGinn 

Maenalenan-Wallmark-Saarela/Gauthier

Salt&Pepper

de Haan-Hamilton/Faulk

Fleury-TVR/Fox

pretty solid lineup depending on who the new center is.  

Interesting battles- Maenalenan, Bishop, and about every other Checker for the two 4th line winger spots.

Edited by gocanes0506

I guess I owe some positivity after the negativity. 

Every year there is a team that gets it's act together faster than people think. Sometimes it's because key guys in the system that have been growing far too slowly for most fans to pay attention, suddenly show up much better. I've used the example before, but the NYI recent success is surely in part due to Trotz, but it's pretty unlikely without the sudden stardom (last and this year) of Matthew Barzal and his ppg average over those. Talk about a guy who drives offense.

I still think we are closer than we might think. The bad thing is that this team is indeed very much in the mushy middle again. The good thing is that same thing. We have a goal differential of -14 (but it was only -7 two games ago). This tells me we are not as far away as we might think despite our (mine included) pessimism for this season. 

Of course we want to compete for the cup, not just make the playoffs, and that might be a couple of years off, but I still think that there is a lot to build on and a pretty nice combination of guys who can come in from below if we can make that one big move.

We have a very solid defense. We can move one, or possibly even two guys and still be solid there. 

Add one elite forward to provide instant pop up front, and watch the yutes start to turn it on. Obviously I think Svech and Necas will both step up and be dynamic offense drivers next year. But after a year in the NHL, Foegele could easily up himself into a Ferland type guy too. There is a reason this guy has just stuck here. He has more skill than his numbers. 

Charlotte is dominating the entire AHL. There has to be some good in that. Geekie, Gauthier, Kuokkanen, Roy etc. 

The move to get Nino was a strong move. He is not the dynamic driver, but he will be a nice piece. 

I don't know if we sign Ferland, but I hope we sign him and Marinook, because along with Nino, there is a very nice blend of skill, tough, and finish across our lines. Then add that one guy. That one elusive move. That Larson for Taylor Hall move (or even not quite that good), and let our youth fill in the rest. With an already stong D, the only question remaining would be goalie. 

This suggests to me that we are right now one good D for O pick up and one good goalie away. 

8 minutes ago, remkin said:

Obviously I think Svech and Necas will both step up and be dynamic offense drivers next year.

Maybe now we are better then in previous seasons. But those assumptions (who of the yutes will surely step up next season) is what Canes fans have been doing for last (insert whatever number you want) offseasons. Let's hope this time is such assumptions will be closer to reality

10 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

Maybe now we are better then in previous seasons. But those assumptions (who of the yutes will surely step up next season) is what Canes fans have been doing for last (insert whatever number you want) offseasons. Let's hope this time is such assumptions will be closer to reality

Your point is more than fair, and as I look at the point leaders in the NHL and see Lindholm at #14 and the goal leaders and see Skinner at #2, I wonder about a few things. 

But with that caveat, and the fact that my interest in our prospects makes me an expert in my own mind, I really think that Necas and Svech are clear elite prospects. Necas plays with skill at speed and could drive D men back last season, let alone this one, let alone next one. And Svech is only 18 (still. He does not turn 19 till March). And Necas was 19 until a few days ago. 

I think someone else is likely to pop up from the ranks, but those two are different in that they will, IMO.