The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

3 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

How long’s Staal been out? Doesn’t look to be missed. Trade value better than staying value?

Only thing he brings (other than veteran leadership) is FO value...not enough, IMO.

4 points out 32 games left with 2 games in hand on the last WC holder.  The team is within striking distance.  This is an hard spot for TD and Waddell because they do not know whether yo unload assets or not.

1 minute ago, bluedevil58 said:

4 points out 32 games left with 2 games in hand on the last WC holder.

Sorry to break it to ya, but the Slugs and Habs have two games in hand on us...they’ve only played 48, we’re at 50.

1 minute ago, Bonivan said:

There is a plastic glass in bottom right corner of a pic

Oh, sorry...they have enough space on the spectators side of the boards to put a few there...but you’re a moron if you did that where I was sitting...unless you put it in front of a Canucks fan ;)

4 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Sorry to break it to ya, but the Slugs and Habs have two games in hand on us...they’ve only played 48, we’re at 50.

Sorry to break it to you but the Slugs are not in a WC spot and the Habs are above the WC spot.  So my fact statement still stands as of this moment.

Edited by bluedevil58

3 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Sorry to break it to you but the Slugs are not in a WC spot and the Habs are above the WC spot.  So my fact statement still stands as of this moment.

Go back and read your original post, please

6308DCCC-95A7-44BA-A9E2-6D81503B9001.gif

Pre-all star break review:

October- great start then 'meh'

November- okay

December- big let down

January- very good but not enough to make up for December.  Really needed one more win there.  

Roster-

They new guys have taken a while to mess together after the quick start. 

We have had 12 new people play a good amount of time.  Ferland, Hamilton, de Haan, Wallmark, Bishop, Mrazek, McE, Maenalenan, Svech, Nino, Martinook, McKegg, etc, etc.That is a lot of new folks to integrate on a roster with a new coaching staff.  

Defense has had its struggles but we are letting in fewer goals than last year.  Glad Slavin and Pesce are back together.  Faulk is playing a sounder defensive game.  Hamilton has had trouble meshing with his various line mates but seems to be settling in now.  That may have more to do with level of opponent he is going against.  de Haan is a very solid pickup for the management team that has settled Faulk down.  If Faulk could hit the net every now and again when shooting.

Forwards are scoring less than last season, which is a bummer. Aho is on a 90 point pace.  Turbo is doing well again, needs to shoot more.  Ferland has looked like the guy we traded for, when on the ice.  Its just the rest of the squad that isnt adding enough.  Svech has had an up and down season but that is expected.  He is a rookie.  Hopefully, the addition of Nino will help

we are 1 scoring center short of being a threat for playoff spot contention. We need a solid second scoring line.

Goalies:

McE has done well above expected Top 10 in expected SV % which is solid for a backup picked up on waivers.  

Darling is done with the organization

Mrazek has done better than both the goalies from last season.  He has had games where he carried the team even when left out to dry.  

We dont have a top 10 goalie in the league but the two we have are both better than what we've had in a few seasons.

Going forward:

the first half of February is going to rough.  We have so many games stacked in a short amount of time.  Going .500 or better will be a win for us.  The last 4 games in 12 days of February will be must wins.  Must wins.  

March is going to be hard from a competition stand point.  The vast majority of our games are against current playoff teams and a couple against bubble squads.  

Again .500 should seem like a win for us. But unfortunately 2 months of .500 isnt going to get us in the playoffs unless the metro or the atlantic teams just fall off a cliff.  

We have roster decisions to make with Ferland and possibly adding a roster forward as well. 

How are Staal and McE looking for coming back?

Who is the odd man out on the right side? Faulk or Hamilton? TVR?

Im not feeling confident about playoff contention with the schedule we have coming up.  We took our lumps in October through December with a new half of the roster and new coaching staff.  It is will cost us as we get into the meat of the schedule.  Of course they could carry the momentum of January forward and really burn through February too.  The eastern conference is a bear.  We'd be in a playoff spot in the west right now.  

I just want to say today that this board has the ability to make me laugh and brighten my day.

On reading a few threads, both regular and game day, I routinely saw a player referred to as "steaming pile."  We all know who.  Now, that may be a little harsh, but I hope said player can take a joke.  That player has been fabreeze sweet lately.  :)

Makes me wonder if in my work's break room they refer to me as the steaming pile?  I know I deserved it from time to time. 

That said, HWSNBN is appropriate.  That name makes me angry, not happy.

6 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

How long’s Staal been out? Doesn’t look to be missed. Trade value better than staying value?

As much as I have been down on Staal this season and last, to think of another big body that can hit, and play D, coming back into the line up at this point may be a really good thing.  Now that we have more than Aho to count on for scoring, Staal's role may shine a little more as a 2nd-3rd line defensive center who can score now and than.  

Top 6(9) not looking bad right now with Ferland, Nino, Aho,TT, Williams,Svech and than insert Staal.  I wouldn't be sad if we traded him for something decent but at this point he could actually be a great addition to this revitalized, hard hitting, top 9 we have going right now.   Hopefully we still trade a D man for another 20goal scorer and we might be in good condition to make a run. Oh and thats if we keep Ferland through all that.  Losing him puts us about back where we were before Nino which is 2 forwards short of a possible playoff roster IMO. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

On reading a few threads, both regular and game day, I routinely saw a player referred to as "steaming pile."  We all know who.  Now, that may be a little harsh, but I hope said player can take a joke.  That player has been fabreeze sweet lately.  :)

That was an inside joke from a GDT a few weeks ago where someone referred to Dougie’s play as as a steaming pile and I replied that that insult was insulting to steaming piles everywhere 

5 minutes ago, remkin said:

And now that the Canes are kicking hinder, the 8 day break is that much of a bummer. Oh well. 

The players wanted this with the last lockout/CBA...and Ovi went full prima donna and decided he didn’t want to play the ASG either 

4 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

$5 says Rask’s jersey doesn’t go above the minimum bid 

Or somebody buys it as evidence that he actually did exist.  Kind of a Nessie thing.  "He was rarely sighted on the ice, but here's proof he actually once existed...".

Of course it could still all be a hoax.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

The players wanted this with the last lockout/CBA...and Ovi went full prima donna and decided he didn’t want to play the ASG either 

Yeah and his penalty is....yet another day off to start after the break. :letssee:

Just now, remkin said:

Yeah and his penalty is....yet another day off to start after the break. :letssee:

Yah, I know...which is probably the last thing Washington needs in the midst of their awesome losing streak!

Honestly, 1 game is too light...should be 4-5.  You’re the best of the best and the fans want to see you.

3 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Or somebody buys it as evidence that he actually did exist.  Kind of a Nessie thing.  "He was rarely sighted on the ice, but here's proof he actually once existed...".

Of course it could still all be a hoax.

I don’t think the Wild know he’s even on their roster yet 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Going forward:

the first half of February is going to rough.  We have so many games stacked in a short amount of time. 

Im not feeling confident about playoff contention with the schedule we have coming up.    

The one thing that has been fairly constant with this group is that they are far better off playing than sitting. Back to back, 3rd in 4, on a West coast travel nightmare? No problem. Give them 3 days off though....not as good. 

It could all change, but up to now, I'm better with them playing than resting. I'm more worried about this break than the cluster of games coming up. Heck they even seem to have figured out how to win on the road.

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

The one thing that has been fairly constant with this group is that they are far better off playing than sitting. Back to back, 3rd in 4, on a West coast travel nightmare? No problem. Give them 3 days off though....not as good. 

It could all change, but up to now, I'm better with them playing than resting. I'm more worried about this break than the cluster of games coming up. Heck they even seem to have figured out how to win on the road.

while I'll agree with your assessment we play 9 games in the first 16 days of February.  That includes a 4 in 6 days AND a B2B. We have one 2 day break in the first 16 days.    Then 4 in the final 12 days.