The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

On 1/25/2019 at 11:49 AM, raleighcaniac said:

The only ice these guys want to see for the next week is in a high ball glass. 

Somehow rc, I don't think Jacob Slavin and I'm quite sure there are others who don't think that way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Somehow rc, I don't think Jacob Slavin and I'm quite sure there are others who don't think that way.

Quite possibly, but they won't be team-sanctioned practicing for a while either way.  The 3-month summer vacation isn't enough for these multi-millionaires.

Allstar game is weird and I don't understand how it works.  I am in the middle of watching it and I get an alert the the pacific division beats the whatever division.  WTH, are there multiple games going on in different locations?  Nowhere on the internet can I find anything that explains how it works.  Nowhere on the internet can I find the final player stats from the game.  Am I the only one thats confused how it works?  I mean I know they do the division thing now but I need a refresher on how the heck it works.  

Also, the winning the car thing by the MVP is such a joke. Like 10million dollar a year guys give a crap about a 25k car, they should pick a fan with the MVP's jersey on and give it to them or something a little more interesting.  

Other than that, always fun to watch the skills competition. 

38 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

Allstar game is weird and I don't understand how it works.  I am in the middle of watching it and I get an alert the the pacific division beats the whatever division.  WTH, are there multiple games going on in different locations?  Nowhere on the internet can I find anything that explains how it works.  Nowhere on the internet can I find the final player stats from the game.  Am I the only one thats confused how it works?  I mean I know they do the division thing now but I need a refresher on how the heck it works.  

Also, the winning the car thing by the MVP is such a joke. Like 10million dollar a year guys give a crap about a 25k car, they should pick a fan with the MVP's jersey on and give it to them or something a little more interesting.  

They do semifinals between division teams from same conference and then final between winners. NHL.com lists stats for those games as for any regular season game, but there is no cumulative stats for players who played in semifinal and final, you will have to do the maths yourself. Regarding car for MVP, they had to somehow engage "official vehicle of the NHL" ))))

42 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

Here's CBS's explainer of the format: https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/nhl-all-star-game-2019-rosters-schedule-and-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-teams-and-the-format-in-san-jose/

What we once called "The All-Star Game" is now called the All-Star Weekend, with skills competitions the first day, and its highlight, a single-elimination 3 v 3 tournament, the second day. Each tournament round is a 20-minute "game" between teams of stars from the NHL's four divisions.

Here are the tournament results: https://www.google.com/search?q=nhl+all+star+results&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS820US820&oq=nhl+allstar+re&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.8845j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The Pacific lost its first game to the Central and was thus eliminated, so the Central advanced to the final. The Metro advanced by beating the Atlantic, and then beat the Central to win the tournament. (Both of these were actually easy to find on the Internet. Just sayin'.)

As for the alert you got saying the Pacific won anything, either (a) you're remembering it wrong, or (b) the sending media outlet got it wrong, because the Pacific didn't win anything. 

Edited by top-shelf-1
typo

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Here's CBS's explainer of the format: https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/nhl-all-star-game-2019-rosters-schedule-and-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-teams-and-the-format-in-san-jose/

What we once called "The All-Star Game" is now called the All-Star Weekend, with skills competitions the first day, and its highlight, a single-elimination 3 v 3 tournament, the second day. Each tournament round is a 20-minute "game" between teams of stars from the NHL's four divisions.

Here are the tournament results: https://www.google.com/search?q=nhl+all+star+results&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS820US820&oq=nhl+allstar+re&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.8845j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The Pacific lost its first game to the Central and was thus eliminated, so the Central advanced to the final. The Metro advanced by beating the Atlantic, and then beat the Central to win the tournament. (Both of these were actually easy to find on the Internet. Just sayin'.)

As for the alert you got saying the Pacific won anything, either (a) you're remembering it wrong, or (b) the sending media outlet got it wrong, because the Pacific didn't win anything. 

Thanks, just wanted to give you something to do this morning. 

24 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

Thanks, just wanted to give you something to do this morning. 

Mission accomplished, and I appreciate it! (I have. No. Life.)

• Like 1

I also like the 3 on 3. At least the open ice lets the studs show off their offensive skill set in a format that is closer to what we see in OT. When they played 5 on 5 with no hitting and no defense, that was just plain bizarre to me. 

Not sure if I love the puck tracking, seemed distracting overall. I did like it on shots though. Same with the player tracking. OK in small bursts, but otherwise distracting. Still, could also be that I'm just not used to it.

7 hours ago, Bonivan said:

They do semifinals between division teams from same conference and then final between winners. NHL.com lists stats for those games as for any regular season game, but there is no cumulative stats for players who played in semifinal and final, you will have to do the maths yourself. Regarding car for MVP, they had to somehow engage "official vehicle of the NHL" ))))

Eric Staal won the car one year a long time ago, and gave it away, if I’m not mistaken. Not sure to whom.

1 hour ago, bluedevilcane said:

Eric Staal won the car one year a long time ago, and gave it away, if I’m not mistaken. Not sure to whom.

I think he gave the car to his parents.

I also like the current all-star format with the tournament concept and 3-on-3 play. 

I understand the disdain for the puck tracking, but there's a few levels on which it makes sense. Most people who say they think they'd like to watch hockey on TV complain that they can't follow the puck. It's much easier to follow basketball, baseball, football or soccer on TV, none of which moves as fast. Combine that with the smallest object of the game (the puck) compared to the others, and you kinda get why they're trying the tracking thing, especially for the ASG, which non-fans will tune into just to be amazed by the talent on display. 

The puck-tracking problem disappears (for most people) once they've seen a game live and get a feel for the flow of play in person, but unfortunately (1) games are expensive, and (2) hockey isn't a sport most kids grow up playing, like the other majors are. In the best of all possible worlds, hockey would exclude the home opener from all season ticket plans and make admission free to the first 20,000 people who show up, and use the excitement of opening might to hook more fans and (ultimately) more STHs and TV viewers. But we know how that would sit with ticket agents and STHs.

Now that insurance companies have begun dropping football teams and youth programs due to the head injury issue, getting people to watch hockey on TV is probably the least of its problems. The NFL makes money hand over fist, and might be able to self-insure--for a while, anyway. I don't think hockey has the revenue base to do it if the lawsuits keep flying, so it's going to have to do one of three things: (a) get players to sign away their right to sue as part of every contract; (b) become a lot safer (read: boring); or (c) somehow convince insurers that it - a game played at 20 mph in which huge guys swing sticks at a puck and throw bodies into immovable walls and punches at each other - is somehow less prone to catastrophic head injuries than football. Good luck.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, remkin said:

I also like the 3 on 3. At least the open ice lets the studs show off their offensive skill set in a format that is closer to what we see in OT. When they played 5 on 5 with no hitting and no defense, that was just plain bizarre to me. 

Not sure if I love the puck tracking, seemed distracting overall. I did like it on shots though. Same with the player tracking. OK in small bursts, but otherwise distracting. Still, could also be that I'm just not used to it.

I had the same thought about the puck tracking, Rem. Although all of us are hardcore viewers, so we're used to following the play. I wonder if it would be helpful for any newer viewers who don't have a clue what's going on initially. I did opine about it being distracting for me, though.

When I watch hockey with a new guy I'm not typically asked where the puck is I'm being asked why did the whistle blow?

It would likely annoy us but it would be vastly more helpful to noobs if the blue line turned red when a team's offsides and the icing line do something to show icing.

In the absence of Hurricane hockey I will be scoreboard watching tonight. Only two games on tap and one Peg @ Philly really doesn't have a lot of implications with the Flyer so far back but in the why take chances school of thought it's Go Mo night.

The other game is far more important to us. Nj at the Pens. Pens are in  wildcard spot 4 points a head of us and two games in hand. Get back to work Nj.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

So JR making some moves? In last hour, traded Jamie Oleksiak to Dallas for a 4th? What next, clearing space for something? Hope not a #79?

Would not suprise me if it was...If by chance he has expressed he doesnt want to be in Carolina, then so be it....

Not to be too greedy, but if it comes down to trading Ferland, I want a first rounder, and ideally to a cut line team out west where a bunch of teams are still in it (because they could fall out making that a better pick). I know Pittsburgh is a cut line team, but I think they are going to turn it on. Their goal differential suggests better things for them. Trade him back West if possible.

49 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

So JR making some moves? In last hour, traded Jamie Oleksiak to Dallas for a 4th? What next, clearing space for something? Hope not a #79?

Maybe it's a #11. 'twould be classic JR--and Willy'd get his old number back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Maybe it's a #11. 'twould be classic JR--and Willy'd get his old number back.

I'm all for a first for Jordan...and returning all those bags of pucks JR got in his moronic trades his final 5 years here.

• Like 1

RALEIGH, NC - Don Waddell, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has reassigned defenseman Haydn Fleury and goaltender Alex Nedeljkovic to the Charlotte