Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

Recommended Posts

I would tend to agree that in general Raleigh is a sleepier city than most NHL cities, but it also has it's charms for sure, and is constantly trotted out in the "best place to live" lists. 

 

I think it comes down to the team winning and also filling the building. I'm thinking it is very disheartening to have the other guy's goals cheered as or more loudly than yours in your own building. It is to me, and I'm not getting killed out there on the ice. Also playing to a 40% full building night after night, then going on the road and playing in packed, hostile barns can't leave you thinking how great it is to pay in Raleigh. 

 

When this team starts winning and filling the barn, then the future UFA's of the world will come in here and see how loud and energetic the PNC is when it's rocking, and frankly how hockey-knowledgeable fans here actually are. Then we'll attract some UFA love. 

 

I get the very valid concern over UFA's being on big contracts and gettin old, and building through the draft has been the right thing to do, but a well placed UFA can have a big impact on fixing holes in draft and develop and injuries. I'd say J Williams has been a big addition for instance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ChucktownCane said:

LOOONG time reader, first time saying anything though. 

With regards to bringing talent to Raleigh, I'd like to weigh in. Hopefully with no offense taken. 

I lived in Raleigh for many years. I watched us win The Cup while seated in Kevyn Adams massage chair. (My gf babysat for them during home games). I live in Charleston, SC and did so before living in Raleigh.

I will say this, while Raleigh is a great place to raise a family, has a great education system, and is growing culturally, if I were a 20-something bad*** in a sport, Raleigh would not be on my radar. These guys desire a certain lifestyle that Raleigh simply can't offer. 

I take nothing away from the city, but put yourself in their... skates.

Welcome aboard.

 

Care to comment on what is this major issue for players' lifestyle that can't be had in the Triangle?  I know there will be some that want the LA/NYC lifestyle, but most of these guys aren't city kids

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

but most of these guys aren't city kids

Exactly and once they get hitched as many do and have kids it’s one of the highest rated places in the nation to raise them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oct 5

Sebastian Aho looking good at center. Spoke with a couple Caps players after they played Carolina twice in preseason and they said it looked like Aho has taken his game up another level and that he has the puck more at center, which is a good thing.

 
 
 
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, remkin said:

Nice to hear. This may well work out. So far so good.

I can't help wondering if part of the whole "is he ready" thing is a facet of his salary negotiation, in view of how little we've heard about it. I know, I know... but Roddy's a company man and a member of the Committee. If TD thinks he might save a million or so a year in the early stages of a multi-year deal based on this "uncertainty," I could see him asking his coach to put it out there.

 

Regardless, here's a question: What do folks think he's asking for, and what the org is offering? I have to think TD wants to keep it at $6 million throughout, and will cite Staal as his rationale (which would be unreasonable IMO, comparing their ages and offensive upsides, but in line with what TD has expressed about being smart about contracts [translation: pay as little as you can]). I'd guess Seabass would be okay with that much early in the deal, but probably wants it stepped up to $8 million by the time it terms out.

 

NTC? I don't even want to think about that can of worms.

 

Interestingly, Laine isn't extended in The Peg yet, either, and says he's in no hurry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recchi and Weight became very interested in being here when we became a contender. I don't buy that the city itself isn't a place people want to land but the teams lack of winning likely does play into the big names choices. That can begin to change obviously.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2018 at 11:19 AM, LakeLivin said:

 

Nashville and Tampa?

They do much more home grown and trade than luring free agents. Both cities though at least have more going on for a lively feel off ice. We are closer to Columbus than either of them.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Recchi and Weight became very interested in being here when we became a contender. I don't buy that the city itself isn't a place people want to land but the teams lack of winning likely does play into the big names choices. That can begin to change obviously.

Neither was interested in staying though.

 

im not unhappy about that. We got an excellent return on investment as they were both key pieces to the cup. But they weren’t going to stay here long term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I can't help wondering if part of the whole "is he ready" thing is a facet of his salary negotiation, in view of how little we've heard about it. I know, I know... but Roddy's a company man and a member of the Committee. If TD thinks he might save a million or so a year in the early stages of a multi-year deal based on this "uncertainty," I could see him asking his coach to put it out there.

 

Regardless, here's a question: What do folks think he's asking for, and what the org is offering? I have to think TD wants to keep it at $6 million throughout, and will cite Staal as his rationale (which would be unreasonable IMO, comparing their ages and offensive upsides, but in line with what TD has expressed about being smart about contracts [translation: pay as little as you can]). I'd guess Seabass would be okay with that much early in the deal, but probably wants it stepped up to $8 million by the time it terms out.

 

NTC? I don't even want to think about that can of worms.

 

Interestingly, Laine isn't extended in The Peg yet, either, and says he's in no hurry.

Laine wants whatever Matthews gets, if not more. He still thinks he was the better player in his draft. He still may well be right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Welcome aboard.

 

Care to comment on what is this major issue for players' lifestyle that can't be had in the Triangle?  I know there will be some that want the LA/NYC lifestyle, but most of these guys aren't city kids

Weighing in as a non native. If a guy is at the family stage, it’s possibly a more attractive choice. More affordable, lots for families to do, press/fans low on the intrusion scale away from the rink.

 

Having lived at their age in major cities though, I agree with the previous poster. There is not a lot to draw young, single professionals here. They may be college age, but they aren’t part of the Tobacco Road scene.

 

Minimal nightlife/entertainment to be

found here. The restaurant landscape is much better (at least in Durham) than when I first moved here but the bulk of the city still shuts down very early. In San Francisco and even in Houston, places I lived in my 20s-30s, there were always tons of things to do, no matter the time of day or night. Here not so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depth of scoring is apparent so far.

 

Not a lot from the D yet.

3 goals from our expected goal scoring crew (Aho, Turbo, Svech, Z), 1 being an EN

The rest is from our hard workers: 2 from Martinook, 2 from Ferland, 2 from Foegele, 2 for Staal, and 1 from Wallmark.

 

Our goal scoring can get better too if our D chips in, get more goals from the guys supposed to score(c’mon Z), and get some from McGinn and Williams.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And with the assumption that Foegele will not touch AHL ice for a long time, if ever, we can now point to 3 truely special late round picks for this team, and possibly a 4th with others still on the horizon. 

 

Foegele: 3rd round.

Pesce: 3rd round.

Slavin: 4th round.

 

Wallmark: 4th round.

 

Supposedly, rounds 3-7 produce NHL players (>200 games) at about a 12% clip collectively. This suggests that a team should get about 2 NHL players out of every 3 years of drafting about 15 late round guys. Since these late picks almost always take 2-3 year or more to get to the NHL, and we have Booth, Roy, Helvig, Geekie, Cotton, and others still too soon to tell, we have to really stop the clock around the 2015 draft. 

 

All 4 of those guys above were drafted 2012-2014. If Wallmark hits 200 games, that would be 4 guys in 3 years with the 2015 and after classes still brewing.

 

But it goes way past that, because a lot of those late round guys have sort of borderline careers, but at least our top 3 of that list are bonafide players contributing at a high level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Future of the Canes also looks promising  with guys like  Geekie , Bean , Drury , Fox ,Carrick   and even Pu  .   What i Noticed a lot during the preseason were a lot of teams not  giving their  future picks hardly any ice time or a chance to play  and  it makes me wonder if that is the case with more established teams  compared to the canes  .  I dont think any team other than the Canes are playing more rookies  .  Wallmark , Foegle , Necas and Svechnikov . And they all have a point already .  it's kinda insane  what pace we might potentially are looking at . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Recchi and Weight became very interested in being here when we became a contender. I don't buy that the city itself isn't a place people want to land but the teams lack of winning likely does play into the big names choices. That can begin to change obviously.

Very well said. Athletes (and more pointedly their agents) know which franchises are cheap and which aren't. One look at our practice facility has probably scared more guys off than anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

The Future of the Canes also looks promising  with guys like  Geekie , Bean , Drury , Fox ,Carrick   and even Pu  .   What i Noticed a lot during the preseason were a lot of teams not  giving their  future picks hardly any ice time or a chance to play  and  it makes me wonder if that is the case with more established teams  compared to the canes  .  I dont think any team other than the Canes are playing more rookies  .  Wallmark , Foegle , Necas and Svechnikov . And they all have a point already .  it's kinda insane  what pace we might potentially are looking at . 

This is a great point CFF. 

 

Some of us (this guy) have called for one more vet up front in case some of our yutes Staal out. I'm still not abandoning that, but part of it, ironically is to get another yute named Fleury in the lineup (with Bean and possibly Fox and others in the wings). 

 

But the fact that we couldn't move a D for O AND we moved Skinner for Pu, leaves spots for the yutes to contribute and show their stuff, and so far they have really good stuff. This is important for this team now, in that we get to benefit from these guys, but also because we have lots of other talent pushing up. Letting the kids play has also helped with this huge turnaround in team approach and attitude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Division got a little weaker as Philly’s JVR is out 5-6 weeks with a lower body injury.

Dubinsky is also out  for the blue jackets ,  not because of us  , he got injured in practice .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...