Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Big Mac is back!

Is he? I think that was done to keep them playing during the all star break. They played 2 nights ago in a 4-2 win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Is he? I think that was done to keep them playing during the all star break. They played 2 nights ago in a 4-2 win.

Ok, so maybe wishful thinking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, canesfan06 said:

 

I had the same thought about the puck tracking, Rem. Although all of us are hardcore viewers, so we're used to following the play. I wonder if it would be helpful for any newer viewers who don't have a clue what's going on initially. I did opine about it being distracting for me, though.

It’s fine for the ASG, though it’s not hard to follow the puck with 6 skaters on the ice. Please don’t muck up regular season and playoff games with it. When I can’t follow the puck on scoring plays or great saves, the slow motion replay usually solves the problem. I thought that line moving behind the puck was really distracting.

 

I also like the 3 on 3 format for the ASG. Hey, somebody wake up Bill Peters and show him the pretty goal scored by Jeff Skinner in the ASG. I don’t think Skinner ever saw the ice in OT under Pastor Bill even as we racked up something like 11 OT losses in a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, OBXer said:

The other game is far more important to us. Nj at the Pens. Pens are in  wildcard spot 4 points a head of us and two games in hand. Get back to work Nj.

Glad the were listenin

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dinz said:

NJ got to work all right, beat pens 6-3!

Ate some beans.  Will be interesting by Friday when more beans are eaten.

 

If the Canes were to go on another 15 out of 20 points streak, things will get real interesting.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wxray1 said:

 

If the Canes were to go on another 15 out of 20 points streak, things will get real interesting.

Hate to oversimplify thing that are never quite that simple, but it really seems that the million dollar question is how fast this team can get back to the game it's been playing, after the break. That is a massive break and this has been a team that has not always done well post breaks. We get back at it with two home games, vs tough teams, but home games non the less. And yes, one of those games is our annual Calgary Sunday-afternoon-let-down-and-get-shellacked game. 

 

But then we have a 5 game road trip starting out with 3 in 4 in Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and NYR. Pittsburgh is way better than their record. Buffalo is a key game, and we don't win a lot in MSG. 

 

Frankly the schedule never gets easy, but if we are still within a reasonable sniffing distance (say 3-4 points) on February 13, this thing could happen. Hey, this team went out West and broke through some tough historical trends, they could do it. So long at they get right back to their game.

 

But the schedule is not set up for that to happen. Hence, the need to get some wins right out of the break gate. At least Vegas is also coming off of a break. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, remkin said:

Hate to oversimplify thing that are never quite that simple, but it really seems that the million dollar question is how fast this team can get back to the game it's been playing, after the break. That is a massive break and this has been a team that has not always done well post breaks. We get back at it with two home games, vs tough teams, but home games non the less. And yes, one of those games is our annual Calgary Sunday-afternoon-let-down-and-get-shellacked game. 

 

But then we have a 5 game road trip starting out with 3 in 4 in Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and NYR. Pittsburgh is way better than their record. Buffalo is a key game, and we don't win a lot in MSG. 

 

Frankly the schedule never gets easy, but if we are still within a reasonable sniffing distance (say 3-4 points) on February 13, this thing could happen. Hey, this team went out West and broke through some tough historical trends, they could do it. So long at they get right back to their game.

 

But the schedule is not set up for that to happen. Hence, the need to get some wins right out of the break gate. At least Vegas is also coming off of a break. 

And rem, Pittsburgh just showed us what "coming off of a break" translates to?? Couldn't happen to a more deserving team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

And rem, Pittsburgh just showed us what "coming off of a break" translates to?? Couldn't happen to a more deserving team.

I didn't see the game, but it sure looks like it in the box score. That was an example of both teams being off, but apparently one getting to it's game quicker. I think it was last year where they had the breaks staggered and teams that had been off faced teams that had been playing, and mostly it wan't pretty for the resting team. 

 

Vegas has gotten it's act back together and despite a slow start is a +17 team. We've historically come back poorly off breaks. I historically seem to be at PNC when this happens. I will be there Friday.

 

Pittsburgh. I still have to think that they are just taking a bit of a breather and will put the pedal down at some point, but if that breather gets too long, I guess they could be a surprise dropper. 

 

I'm still thinking our path is edging out Buffalo and Montreal with shot at Columbus if they falter. But however it happens is fine by me! The key for us is to get back at the game we've been playing as quickly as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonights scoreboard watching is a no brainer

 

The Peg is at Boston. Boston is 5 points in front of us, they have a game in hand and are in the first wildcard spot. Come on MO do us a solid.

 

Slugs are at CBJ. . Buffalo is virtually tied with us and  4 points under the playoff line while the jackets are in third place in the Metro and 5 pts in front of us. It will be easier to keep up and overtake Buffalo at this point so I hope the cannon sounds often in Columbus. Whatever happens, no one point games here. We need someone to win in regulation

 

Philly at the Rags. Toss up. They are both chasing us and somebody has to win so pick your poison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The key for the guys is to know that one loss doesnt kill the chances, but when they lose they need to pick themselves up off the floor the next game much like they did with Calgary and Vancouver. We need to average 6 of every 8 points. That gets them 98 points and should give them a spot. But theres not much room for error so again when they falter they cant linger on it they have to go out and win the next one.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

The key for the guys is to know that one loss doesnt kill the chances, but when they lose they need to pick themselves up off the floor the next game much like they did with Calgary and Vancouver. We need to average 6 of every 8 points. That gets them 98 points and should give them a spot. But theres not much room for error so again when they falter they cant linger on it they have to go out and win the next one.  

I think this points out how critical winning streaks are for teams trying to claw back in. Just off the top of my head, seems like every team that has overcome the mountain had at least one or two substantial winning streaks. Mainly because just consistently winning 6 of every 8 points is very hard to do. But one 6 game winning streak gives you 12/12 and allows some of that room for error. 

 

I just hope we can keep things rolling after the break. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, remkin said:

I think this points out how critical winning streaks are for teams trying to claw back in. Just off the top of my head, seems like every team that has overcome the mountain had at least one or two substantial winning streaks. Mainly because just consistently winning 6 of every 8 points is very hard to do. But one 6 game winning streak gives you 12/12 and allows some of that room for error. 

 

I just hope we can keep things rolling after the break. 

Yup and just as critical to avoid losing streaks. The loser point is fine if you havent dug yourself a hole but at this point the loser point is only ok if its between wins much like the last western trip.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

Im so happy  , Martinook signed 2 year extension .    Unfortunately no news as of yet about Ferland  ,   Cant win them all i guess. 

Dont expect him to either. He seems bound and determined to hit the offseason as a FA and drive up his price the best he can. Good for him. If  I understand right he forced or tried to force arbitration in Calgary too so he isnt big on signing with a "hometown" discount. Maybe his asking price is way too high and if he isnt traded he resigns here anyway. Hard to speculate at this point. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

Dont expect him to either. He seems bound and determined to hit the offseason as a FA and drive up his price the best he can. Good for him. If  I understand right he forced or tried to force arbitration in Calgary too so he isnt big on signing with a "hometown" discount. Maybe his asking price is way too high and if he isnt traded he resigns here anyway. Hard to speculate at this point. 

I think to understand this player's hard line stance, I would suggest we need to know how he came thru the rank and file of his career, rather than be judgmental (and not saying you are specifically). I seem to recall that his early life was uncharacteristically difficult, but don't know the entire story. In other words, he wasn't pampered? And, if that's the case, than I just think it stands to reason that he'd maximize all that he's due for whatever time he's got remaining at this level of earning. Can't say that I blame him, although I wish we could keep this player around. And IF he finds his demands are more than the market bares, although I believe someone will cave to them, than maybe we might luck out again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thirty-two games left.  As mentioned, ninety-eight points should get us in, here's what we'd need to do to get there:

 

W    L   OTL

12 -  0 - 20

13 -  1 - 18

14 -  2 - 16

15 -  3 - 14

16 -  4 - 12

17 -  5 - 10

18 -  6 -   8

19 -  7 -   6

20 -  8 -   4

21 -  9 -   2

22 -10 -   0

 

Still a very steep hill to climb.  If we don't come out of the break hot, probably time to start selling.  But if we do, things could get VERY interesting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:10 PM, realmdrakkar said:

 

 

Reminded me of that stupid Fox puck mess from years back.  No thanks.

 

And NBC used Peter Puck. Times are changing. Techno will soon make it seemless and you'll wonder how you followed the game in the " old " days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Thirty-two games left.  As mentioned, ninety-eight points should get us in, here's what we'd need to do to get there:

 

W    L   OTL

12 -  0 - 20

13 -  1 - 18

14 -  2 - 16

15 -  3 - 14

16 -  4 - 12

17 -  5 - 10

18 -  6 -   8

19 -  7 -   6

20 -  8 -   4

21 -  9 -   2

22 -10 -   0

 

 

The current rate in the East is 97 points. 98 gets teams in 9/10 times since the lockout. 96 has a decent chance. 95 has worked, but not likely in the East this year.

 

Based on our record and just eyeballing it, 19-7-6 seems like a possible spread, (or 20-8-4). That is a tall order, but doable for the team of the last 13 games. It's really 19-15 in pure wins and loses. Need to stay in enough games to get loser points though. 

 

The closer breakdown to the first half of the year would be 20-8-4 though, in that we've tended not to get many loser points and 6 would be on the high end for the league projecting the first half (slightly over half). But 20-8-4 is 20-12 and man that looks too hard. But we did just go 9-3-1, which is 18-8 if doubled. But I can't imagine us keeping that pace up. 

 

A nice winning streak would debulk the needed wins column and make things look much more doable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sportsclubstats has us at 24% chance weighted, and 35% unweighted. 

 

Not great, but we were at 14% just about, well 13 games ago.

 

If our recent run is a real indication of an improving team, our chances are better that 24-35%, if not, we have almost no chance.

 

At this point? I'll take it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

I think to understand this player's hard line stance, I would suggest we need to know how he came thru the rank and file of his career, rather than be judgmental (and not saying you are specifically). I seem to recall that his early life was uncharacteristically difficult, but don't know the entire story. In other words, he wasn't pampered? And, if that's the case, than I just think it stands to reason that he'd maximize all that he's due for whatever time he's got remaining at this level of earning. Can't say that I blame him, although I wish we could keep this player around. And IF he finds his demands are more than the market bares, although I believe someone will cave to them, than maybe we might luck out again?

Yes, he worked very hard to get here, and it happened thanks to the support of his entire community. Raised by a single mom. His family are Manitoba Cree; he's also in recovery. I think he has more incentive than most to excel.

 

Edit to add: More here.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...