The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

7 hours ago, remkin said:

That is a massive break and this has been a team that has not always done well post breaks. We get back at it 

But then we have a 5 game road trip starting out with 3 in 4 in Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and NYR. Pittsburgh is way better than their record. Buffalo is a key game, and we don't win a lot in MSG.

We always look dead after a break, needs to change asap. MSG...we NEVER win in MSG. Time to change that as well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yes, he worked very hard to get here, and it happened thanks to the support of his entire community. Raised by a single mom. His family are Manitoba Cree; he's also in recovery. I think he has more incentive than most to excel.

Edit to add: More here.

I think I read somewhere the community chipped in to buy some USED equipment. Far cry from the path of the entitled.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

We always look dead after a break, needs to change asap. MSG...we NEVER win in MSG. Time to change that as well.

Well this group finally broke through in Vancouver, and the Rangers are down a bit. But if we come out flat it might be over before we even get to New York. Not sure what Brind'Amour has to do to change things up, but whatever we've been doing post breaks, try not doing that.

3 minutes ago, remkin said:

Well this group finally broke through in Vancouver, and the Rangers are down a bit. But if we come out flat it might be over before we even get to New York. Not sure what Brind'Amour has to do to change things up, but whatever we've been doing post breaks, try not doing that.

If we look decent the first 4 after the break I'll bet the ranch that we break the MSG curse. That load we played the last visit at MSG will not be duplicated. 

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yes, he worked very hard to get here, and it happened thanks to the support of his entire community. Raised by a single mom. His family are Manitoba Cree; he's also in recovery. I think he has more incentive than most to excel.

Edit to add: More here.

Thanks top. Now even as much as I would love his presence here, I cannot fault him for grabbing on and getting whatever he can, unlike a few other prima donnas? Further after reading that article, I would love it if Don Waddell took it to heart, and tried to match, WITHIN REASON, any offer. What a source of inspiration to anyone struggling? 

Edited by KJUNKANE
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

I think to understand this player's hard line stance, I would suggest we need to know how he came thru the rank and file of his career, rather than be judgmental (and not saying you are specifically). I seem to recall that his early life was uncharacteristically difficult, but don't know the entire story. In other words, he wasn't pampered? And, if that's the case, than I just think it stands to reason that he'd maximize all that he's due for whatever time he's got remaining at this level of earning. Can't say that I blame him, although I wish we could keep this player around. And IF he finds his demands are more than the market bares, although I believe someone will cave to them, than maybe we might luck out again?

I want to clarify I wasnt judging him at least in a bad way. He should try and get all he can, if he feels that his best chance is hitting FA in the offseason more power to him. We as fans have to realize though our team is a small to medium market and cant swallow but so many contracts for players asking more than they are worth and he might just price himself out of the Canes range. Or maybe he hits the open market and finds no one will pay him what he wants and he resigns here for close to another teams offer. 

I would never hold getting paid as much as you can against someone, but that doesnt mean I would pay a premium to get my lawn mowed when kid down the street will do it for 20 bucks. In other words if Ferland finds a team that meets his contract wishes I hope him all the best, if not I hope he cam be resigned to the Canes and have a long successful career

Edited by Derailed75
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

I want to clarify I wasnt judging him at least in a bad way. He should try and get all he can, if he feels that his best chance is hitting FA in the offseason more power to him. We as fans have to realize though our team is a small to medium market and cant swallow but so many contracts for players asking more than they are worth and he might just price himself out of the Canes range. Or maybe he hits the open market and finds no one will pay him what he wants and he resigns here for close to another teams offer. 

I would never hold getting paid as much as you can against someone, but that doesnt mean I would pay a premium to get my lawn mowed when kid down the street will do it for 20 bucks. In other words if Ferland finds a team that meets his contract wishes I hope him all the best, if not I hope he cam be resigned to the Canes and have a long successful career

I understand that Derailed, and that's why  I qualified my statement by stating "not saying you are specifically", and believe me, I'm not pointing a finger. Just a few comments seem to me to be critical that Ferland would not give us a break with his salary demands. I get that too, as I hope the area and our players have been welcoming, but as I say (or imply) this player is at a point in his career, that he's got this one chance probably to give his family a little comfort financially. As such, he's got to be hard line. For this team's sake I wish it could be different, but as I said elsewhere, having Niederreiter fall into our laps was truly a godsend and lessened the impact of Ferland's likely loss.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Thirty-two games left.  As mentioned, ninety-eight points should get us in, here's what we'd need to do to get there:

W    L   OTL

12 -  0 - 20

13 -  1 - 18

14 -  2 - 16

15 -  3 - 14

16 -  4 - 12

17 -  5 - 10

18 -  6 -   8

19 -  7 -   6

20 -  8 -   4

21 -  9 -   2

22 -10 -   0

Still a very steep hill to climb.  If we don't come out of the break hot, probably time to start selling.  But if we do, things could get VERY interesting.

Just say "go +12" instead of all that typing.

Save a finger, use Hagmetrics.   :)

In discussions, my mom always laments we "got rid of Cam".  So I put this together for her:

Goalies who have played at least 15 games this season, sorted by GAA.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?report=goaliesummary&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20182019&seasonTo=20182019&gameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,15&sort=goalsAgainstAverage

#50, dead last.

She sticks by him anyway... "he has such a sweet face"  :)

I put this here instead of "once they were canes" because Rem likes to point out the goal tending stuff.  I feel like goal tending still should be addressed moving forward but it is no longer something that makes me wake up screaming in a cold sweat in the middle of the night.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hag65 said:

I put this here instead of "once they were canes" because Rem likes to point out the goal tending stuff.  I feel like goal tending still should be addressed moving forward but it is no longer something that makes me wake up screaming in a cold sweat in the middle of the night.

I saw a thing on Canes Country about which FA to sign. The let McE walk but signed Mrazek for 2 years. The pretty much signed everyone else except Ferland.

I've put it down before, but I am just far from sold on Mrazek. If I look at McE as highly effective, the Mrazek has been at least passable and has kept us in a lot of games. But at some point that save % just has to get solidly above .900 IMO.

I hope we find a better solution for next year.

13 minutes ago, remkin said:

I saw a thing on Canes Country about which FA to sign. The let McE walk but signed Mrazek for 2 years. The pretty much signed everyone else except Ferland.

I've put it down before, but I am just far from sold on Mrazek. If I look at McE as highly effective, the Mrazek has been at least passable and has kept us in a lot of games. But at some point that save % just has to get solidly above .900 IMO.

I hope we find a better solution for next year.

I'm right there with you on him rem. On Canes Country, there is a poster (fellow Czech) who really promotes Mrazek, and honestly I WISH he'd work out but I just don't know? He has glimpses of brilliance, then breakdowns that just can't happen if we want above average defense. Part of our (we fans) problem is that we really have no consistently quality tending with which to judge for as long as I can remember? I guess that's why I've always been resentful of Lundquist, and just wish we could secure just one tender anywhere close to that? So here we are once again well into the 18-19 season, occupying our usual "on the brink" spot, and still bemoaning our lack of CONSISTENT dependable goaltending. Not only that, but do we have anyone in our system that looks to be that? There but for the want of a nail, in spades?

The thing about Mrazek, is that my understanding is that he's always been inconsistent. Great and then not so great. Detroit bailed on him after thinking he was going to be the man, then horrid in Philly. He's been very good at times here, but I wonder if inconsistency is more likely than not to continue.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

The thing about Mrazek, is that my understanding is that he's always been inconsistent. Great and then not so great. Detroit bailed on him after thinking he was going to be the man, then horrid in Philly. He's been very good at times here, but I wonder if inconsistency is more likely than not to continue.

That was the knock I'd heard too, and problem with that is I'm just not sure how one trains out of it?

I'd say don't sign Mrazek  and take a chance on Ned  going into next season .   and if need be for any possible pick ups  trade staal for some extra picks  if not a 1st in the top 10 for 2020  and hope for the best .   as for the off season the canes can address that   via trades  or  free agency .   I'd like to see what the canes could get back for Pesce and  Faulk .     

If we can't get a goalie by the deadline then my goalie gameplan would be to sign Mac to a year and observe the FA pool. If a viable starter doesn't appear to make it to the market then I guess we bring Mrazek back again, but he hasn't been impressive....he's simply sucks less then Darling and I think our fans standards are a bit low at the moment in goal. If the goal scoring hadn't been through the roof this month, I think pitchforks for Mrazek would be out in full force frankly.

I don't think Ned's better then Mrazek, so I would struggle signing him again. I would also buyout Darling. With Mac he buys you a year for Booth and Helvig to develop. I think Booth has chops to turn heads but we gotta prep him. Helvig's a good backup plan to Booth. They both need to be playing for their organization and in the AHL. Not the run of the mill ECHL and for the wrong team.

• Like 2

Re-up Big Mac for a year, kick Mongo to the curb, tell Sneaky Pete thanks for the effort, keep Ned (as we haven’t seen enough to warrant a final decision), and go after someone with a serious pulse in goaltending (I’m not sold on Bob, though).

Yeah, we've gotten better goal tending but nothing approaching what our standard should be.  I'd be a bit surprised if something shakes out by the deadline to move the needle.  I hope the Canes hold on to McE, Mrazek hasn't proved anything.

Darling's taking up space that's for sure.  

I know folks are wanting us to make trades to have a shot this season, but from my perspective, that ship sailed last month, and we need to start working on being a holy terror in the Metro next season...which is a distinct possibility!

7 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I know folks are wanting us to make trades to have a shot this season, but from my perspective, that ship sailed last month, and we need to start working on being a holy terror in the Metro next season...which is a distinct possibility!

This. We need to look to trade for players we can sign or with term, or keep our powder dry until the offseason/draft. I’d love to be wrong, but I don’t think we are going to accumulate 44 points in 32 games after accumulating 54 in the first 50 (and that after a 4-0-1 start). The trade for Nino and signing TT and Martinook has finally got me feeling our braintrust has a pulse, so keep it going and find us a true #1 goalie somewhere next year, along with one more top 6 forward. I hate to say look to next year, but I think the ship has sailed on this season, but truly being competitive next year is only a couple of moves away.

I don't think we are planning on getting any rentals at this point. If we can make a hockey trade, we should. We have 13 games until the trade deadline. If we go on a major run, that would mean a continuation of the 9-3-1 we just did, and would suggest at the least we give ourselves a chance. If we come out flat and fall back, then it's all on next year. 

I guess keeping Ferland for the run would be essentially making him our own rental, and we could in theory at least keep trying to sign him. But short of going 9-3-1 again over the next 13, I go for the first rounder and take our chances without him. 

Certainly the odds are against us, but I want to see the next 13 games before throwing this season on the heap of all of the other ones.

• Like 1