The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

Gut check time.  (**)It gets real.  Etc., etc.

Will the Canes make a difficult run on the road and make real progress in their conference?  Now's the chance.

Will they blow it completely and make the trade decisions easier?

Or will they get, say, 6 out of 10 points and just keep muddling around the cut line?

Edited by wxray1

7 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Fluery's back again, I imagine when Velucci told him he just rolled his eyes at this point.

it is standard to bring an extra defender on a road trip.

Speaking of Fleury, I wonder if he would be offer sheet material.  He wont get a lot of money but, he is being held back by a lack of roster spot.  We will match, I am sure.  Just a thought. 

2 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

I think they are done.

You’ve thought that since last April 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

I think they are done.

Obviously the easiest and safest conclusion. Will it be tough? Yes. Based on what I have seen on the ice lately though, I don't think so. They lose one game (by a goal mind you) against one of the top teams in the West, and that gives you ground to write them off? You can't win every single game. Now if they lose a few more out of the next couple I might change my tune (depending of course also on what the teams above us do). What will you do if they squeak into the playoff picture?

3 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Amen.

I would wager I have been a Canes fan longer than most on here tbh.  I used to go to the games when they first started playing in Greensboro.  This team does this every year.  Gets super close then blows it.

2 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I would wager I have been a Canes fan longer than most on here tbh.  I used to go to the games when they first started playing in Greensboro.  This team does this every year.  Gets super close then blows it.

Except 2002 , 2006, and 2009 right?

• Like 1

Buffalo and Columbus seem to be imploding. The opportunity is there if the team can keep to it’s January pace. I see one of Philly, Carolina, Buffalo and Columbus taking the 8th spot. It won’t be easy, but it’s still possible. And I have to admit I completely wrote this team off in January. Beat Pittsburgh. Beat Buffalo. Then let’s see how things look. Lose 3 in a row here, and the season may go sideways for good. But for now, I’m going to think positive.

• Like 2

The next 2 games are huge road tests. Need to win the Pitt game and 1 of the back to back set.  Or else the canes could become trade deadline sellers real fast.

i hope the Canes are as ticked off as some of the fans are after having to watch Lindholm taunt the crowd yesterday.  Hopefully they come out charged up for the road trip. 

Anyway, Canes need 2 out of 3 this week.  Even the rangers and flyers are making playoff runs lately.

Just looking at our matchup preview with the Pens, If you would have told me to start the season that Aho would essentially the same stats as Crosby at this point in the season I probably would have laughed at you. Well done man. Glad we have that dude. 👏

• Like 5

5 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

bd58, since you've directed this at me, I'll respond. Your use of the phrase "Canes Fan" I'm assuming is an attempt on your part to demonstrate how you've grown weary of this recurring frustration WE ALL FEEL when our beloved team falls short of the excitement of Playoffs? I must underscore that YOU ARE NOT ALONE in your feelings, yet you are almost exclusively the solo person who immediately jumps to a negative attitude when things go south. Now, I can't lay claim to being a fan since Greensboro, but I on the other hand have been a STH for 15+ years, driving 41 games 75 miles roundtrip (150 miles) per year, with concession food prices added to each game, so I would think my personal frustrations are about as maximized as yours? Yet, the optimist I am, I hold out until the "fat lady sings" that MY team can make it. Do I personally post negative feelings, most certainly. Am I being "pollyanna" about our chances, I don't think so. But I certainly look for the positive and don't twist the knife when the slightest hint of downturn appears. 

• Like 2

Dundon has the cap space by a mile to keep Ferland even if it means overpaying him some. Trading him between now and the deadline for yet another draft pick with nothing more than potential, will indicate the team isn’t serious about building themselves into a contender this year which will bite them when UFA season begins; Why would Tier 1 UFA’s sign on with a team full of youngsters when they will get the same money signing with a team who is only a quality player or two away from playing in the Finals? For this team it always seems to be about next season.

17 hours ago, sleekfeeder said:

Obviously the easiest and safest conclusion. [...] What will you do if they squeak into the playoff picture?

Disappear until they are knocked out, at which point the whatever-it-is, which we're not permitted to just say what it is (hint: a verb coined after imaginary creatures who live under bridges--although this creature actually might) will resume. And the rest of us will have to just (continue to) tolerate it, because them's "the rules."

(Source: How To Be a Pretend Fan, Appendix III)

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 9:15 AM, bluedevil58 said:

I think they are done.

Only makes an appearance after a loss. Death...Taxes...bd58.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

Dundon has the cap space by a mile to keep Ferland even if it means overpaying him some. Trading him between now and the deadline for yet another draft pick with nothing more than potential, will indicate the team isn’t serious about building themselves into a contender this year which will bite them when UFA season begins; Why would Tier 1 UFA’s sign on with a team full of youngsters when they will get the same money signing with a team who is only a quality player or two away from playing in the Finals? For this team it always seems to be about next season.

I agree.  Management has a short list of "to do's" between now and the trade deadline:

1) Either sign Ferland to an extension or keep him and hope to sign him later while continuing to have him play and build a winning culture in Carolina.  The Canes are much better served with either option than getting a draft pick for him.

2) Trade Justin Faulk for a forward, even if it is a rental.  With Staal's situation, a center would be best, but even a winger such as Silfverberg would be great.

21 minutes ago, beboplar said:

2) Trade Justin Faulk for a forward, even if it is a rental.

If we are after a rental then why not just keep Ferland. If we trade one of Faulk/Hamilton/Pesce I would expect a roster player as part of the return. If we can't get that I would just as soon we stay with the Dmen with have.

Adam Gold article in the N&O.  Not much new that we haven't been talking about except speculation about shifting Pesce to his offside and TVR back to his natural right side.  But, it wasn't very clear to me what he was trying to get at.  I could see the move better showcasing TVR in order to perhaps move him, but as far as freeing  up a spot to sign Fox we'd still need to move one of Faulk, Pesce, or Hamilton if we want to maximize odds of getting Fox to sign, wouldn't we?

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/gold-down-the-stretch-canes-hoping-to-balance-present-and-future/18169947/