The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

Thanks dinz. I am really starting to believe that this team has very significantly elevated it's game in a potentially long-lasting way, as opposed to just having a nice run like just about every team gets at some point. 

That said, things have broken probably better than we actually are. We are not actually good enough to win every game we show up for vs. the 93% of teams that aren't Tampa or Calgary. Heck, neither is Tampa or Calgary. 

But I think we are good enough to maintain a solid playoff pace the rest of the way. The trick, to me, is keeping the good times rolling long enough to actually get above the cutline by a few points (with beans factored). At that point we just need to maintain. And won't need to keep going 11-4-1. 

What would id take to "get above the cut line" do you figure? A 6-8 game win streak? Lets just mimic the team, 1 game at a time starting tonight? Get thru it and I'll breath a sigh of relief.

So I decided to take a look at the competitor's schedules for the next month. I looked at Columbus, Philly, Buffalo, Pittsburgh and of course, us. This is about the next 10-11 games. True, it's a race to the finish, and that's a bunch more, but getting above the cutline as soon as possible is always best. Rather than type out the schedules, I assigned a proprietary ranking to each game based on home vs away and quality of opponent. It is loose, to be fair, but at least a rough estimate. (Despite the number system, not to be confused with Hagmetrics. This is a relative expression of degree of difficulty of schedule.) 

Based on my scores here are the schedules, from least to most difficult:

Carolina +1

Philly -3

Buffalo -5

Pittsburgh -5

Columbus -7

Here's the thing. I assigned us a -3 for the next two games, the worst of all teams except Columbus. And Philly, the next easiest schedule, gets +4 their next two (LA and Anaheim at home). After the next 2 games, it is relatively down hill sledding for us to finish the month out vs. our competition.

After the next two games:

Carolina +4

Pittsburgh -3

Columbus -4

Buffalo -7

Philly -7

This is part of why I feel so good if we get the next two or even points in the next two. Things just flip our way in the relative schedule, and we keep our game rolling.

Boomer Gordon and Tyler Madarasz on XM both just independantly picked the Canes to beat out Columbus and Buffalo and Philly for the last WC spot.

29 minutes ago, remkin said:

Boomer Gordon and Tyler Madarasz on XM both just independantly picked the Canes to beat out Columbus and Buffalo and Philly for the last WC spot.

Noooo!!!   The team was doing well without the Boomer curse.  He swore off the team at the season start, first time since he came on the air!

2 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

Watching the AT&T ProAm from Pebble Beach, and TD is playing, wearing a Hurricanes cap.

in more than a sweat suit too

17 hours ago, caniac6 said:

Watching the AT&T ProAm from Pebble Beach, and TD is playing, wearing a Hurricanes cap.

He paired up with Bob Barker?

• Like 1

Is it too early to start saying, hey we are only 6 points out of first in the Metro :grin:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Is it too early to start saying, hey we are only 6 points out of first in the Metro :grin:

Never too early for optimism 

7 games above .500, havent seen that in a long long time.  We usually get to 5 games above and than go on a losing streak.  Ive noticed every year the wildcard team is usually between 7-9 games above .500. If we can maintain we will make it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

Do we like our group?

I like some better than others but yeah

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

Today, we watch some other teams eat some beans. 

Yes, but neither the Pens or Blue Jackets play. They are in our cross hairs and how sweet that feels?

27 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Yes, but neither the Pens or Blue Jackets play. They are in our cross hairs and how sweet that feels?

KJUN, check your sources.  I believe both play tonight (Saturday, Feb 9).

The beans are terribly gassy this time of year.

3 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

KJUN, check your sources.  I believe both play tonight (Saturday, Feb 9).

The beans are terribly gassy this time of year.

My bad wxray, as when I checked they only gave the 1st 1/2 of the day, not the extended schedule? Thanks for keeping me honest.

3 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

My bad wxray, as when I checked they only gave the 1st 1/2 of the day, not the extended schedule? Thanks for keeping me honest.

No worries.  If it is the NHL website, well, you are in good company.  It has stunk since they redesigned it a few years ago.  All about the phones, ya know.  They designed it to only give you small bites.

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

I also am getting a bit ahead of myself, but I mused on the GDT something I've been thinking. That last WC will just be sacrificed to the Lighting Bolts. But if we could get at least to WC2, or better, I think we can play with anyone else and you never know.

OK, gotta get in first.

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

Well . . .  When you look at what we've done for the past 6 weeks and the fact that it still hasn't quite put us in a playoff spot, I think that might be getting out over our skis just a bit. :)   It's not just the points, but that we'd have to jump over 4 teams with only 27 games left.  And all 4 teams have one or two beans in their pockets.

Edited by LakeLivin