The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Yes wxray, and I pondered the St Louis hire at the time, wondering if an innate skill like he possessed could be instilled in those he's coaching? I guess that answers that? Relative to that, I've read from more than one source that Brindy's "skills" emanated from his relentless work rather than innate athleticism. Is it possible that a player can have his skill sharpened, but that work ethic cannot be translated? Just musing, and trying to reason thru why, if  Brindy is the common denominator to our woeful PP, than why couldn't he relent and hire outside expertise? Or is it an ego thing?

When asked Brind'Amour just smugly says "everyone's trying to do the same thing. There's no secrets. Its just about working hard on the PP, digging pucks out." Things like that.

He may be right, but then again, since he's so chronically failed in this department, I hope he at least has had Daniels running the PP. Brind'Amour is a new voice as HC, but he's an old voice on the PP. Teams tune out their HC after a lot of losing and the HC has to be moved on. Well in the case of the PP it's the same guy that has failed at it for years. It's hard to imagine some tuning out hasn't happened on the PP.

If ever there were at team that it made sense to bring in a consultant it would be here. And we can afford a pretty pricey one since we've saved $ on GM, etc. 

38 minutes ago, remkin said:

When asked Brind'Amour just smugly says ...

Interesting word choice.  Tripp has been hammering home to us viewers how RB has complete confidence in his assistants.  The latest news on that was he didn't even give one thought to who would be in goal.  He 100% left it up to Bales.  Bales mailed him a memo before the game.  :)

Is this just Tripp being Tripp, or is he trying to push back on some of our talk about RB being inflexible on certain things?  Or is he preparing us for something else?

Probably Tripp being Tripp, but I dunno.

Edited by wxray1

4 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Interesting word choice.  Tripp has been hammering home to us viewers how RB has complete confidence in his assistants.  The latest news on that was he didn't even give one thought to who would be in goal.  He 100% left it up to Bales.  Bales mailed him a memo before the game.  :)

Is this just Tripp being Tripp, or is he trying to push back on some of our talk about RB being inflexible on certain things?  Or is he preparing us for something else?

It's funny you point that out, because as the word smug came off the keyboard, I thought about changing it, but then RB really insists that there's nothing more that he can do about this, which makes me think of that word given the results on the ice. A consultant might not help, but why not try?

1 hour ago, remkin said:

When asked Brind'Amour just smugly says "everyone's trying to do the same thing. There's no secrets. Its just about working hard on the PP, digging pucks out." Things like that.

. . .

37 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

31 minutes ago, remkin said:

It's funny you point that out, because as the word smug came off the keyboard, I thought about changing it, but then RB really insists that there's nothing more that he can do about this, which makes me think of that word given the results on the ice. A consultant might not help, but why not try?

I was about to mention Brindy's standard response but rem beat me to it.  To me his response isn't quite "smug", I'd use the term "blithe" instead.  Regardless, even if everyone IS trying to do the same thing, hopefully a coach could diagnose why it's not succeeding for us and help players fix whatever is wrong.  Heck, I could help with the rare 5-on-3 in one sentence: STOP WAITING FOR A TAP IN OPPORTUNITY AND SHOOT THE FREAKING PUCK!!!  (disclaimer: I didn't see last night's 5-on-3)

Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

I was about to mention Brindy's standard response but rem beat me to it.  To me his response isn't quite "smug", I'd use the term "blithe" instead.  Regardless, even if everyone IS trying to do the same thing, hopefully a coach could diagnose why it's not succeeding for us and help players fix whatever is wrong.  Heck, I could help with the rare 5-on-3 in one sentence: STOP WAITING FOR A TAP IN OPPORTUNITY AND SHOOT THE FREAKING PUCK!!!  (disclaimer: I didn't see last night's 5-on-3)

Could another synonym be blase?

3 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Could another synonym be blase?

Hmm . . . :letssee:   Using the definition that shows up at the top of the page when googling each definition:

• smug: having or showing an excessive pride in oneself or one's achievements.
  • blithe: showing a casual and cheerful indifference considered to be callous or improper.
  • blase: unimpressed or indifferent to something because one has experienced or seen it so often before.

I don't think "smug" quite fits, but others may have interpreted his demeanor differently.  I like that "blithe" includes "improper", but I don't think Brindy was "cheerful".  "Blase" could fit the bill but it does include the cause as "seen it so often before", which I'm not so sure about.  We could also add the following for consideration:      

• insouciant: showing a casual lack of concern; indifferent.

I guess it all comes down to interpretation.  But whichever one picks, I think we'd all like to see a little more concern from Brindy when it comes to the Canes PP. :whip:

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Tripp and John are Canes' PR men, it's as simple as that--although JF doesn't suck up on a scale anywhere close to Tripp. What has most bothered me is Tripp carrying water for Rod when he repeated DW's provably false claim, "We really only played two bad games all year, but pucks just weren't going in." This from the same guy whose mantra when playing was "You make your own luck." I don't know what team he was watching, but there were a bunch more than two bad games, right through Christmastime.

I get that Rod has to be careful not to sound discouraging to the kids, I really do. But sometimes the best way to wake people up is with a 2 x 4 upside the head. I've said it before and I'll say it again: The only thing separating good performances from bad, once players get to this level, is WILL. I'm glad this team has finally found it at 5 v 5, but until they do it on the PP, they will struggle to make the dance, and if they do get in, they'll go out quickly. Somebody needs to read the vets on the PP the riot act, and start taking guys off the units that fail to score goals. 

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Somebody needs to read the vets on the PP the riot act, and start taking guys off the units that fail to score goals. 

Unfortunately, that’ll mean we’ll run out of PP players really fast 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Or, we'll create new ones even quicker. McKegg has shown stickhandling ability and patience down low that rivals JWilly. Maenalanen is big immovable body who could hold the slot and collect garbage. The only PP goals we seem to score are gorgeous. I'd really like to see some ugly ones.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

For my own part, i'm still of the thought we just pretend we don't have a power play, because it obviously scares or confuses us or something.  It's been said that we're an 'above-average 5-on-5 team' so just go with what works.  Roll the lines as usual and we should score at a slightly-elevated pace over what we score 5-on-5.  I'll take those odds over having devoted units that struggle to accomplish the same.  The regular lines apparently have more chemistry, so ride that chemistry through the man advantage as well.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

DzO61qsW0AUbrbl.jpg

Got this from a Chip Alexander tweet.  This is last season's standings on February 11th.

What is that?

4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

What is that?

his quote was the more things change....

basically saying we are in the same position as last season at the same time.  Through 56 we had 61 last season, 62 this season.

Edited by gocanes0506

Ferland has gone totally belly up. Time to move him while we can. We can still get a good return for him. After tonight’s game or tomorrow morning. Always injured, minutes cut way down, not scoring.

BAM!  

19 minutes ago, BadgerCane1958 said:

And as soon as I post this he scores!!! 😳😳

I still think we need to move him asap.

Yeah why can't he score with an elite 2nd line center known as Lucas Wallmark and and whatever scrub is on LW.  Wow I wonder why he can't score when surrounded by such elite linemates.

39 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Extend Ferland ASAP.

His been good for one game in the last 15 he has played and we want to throw money at him?  Let him do something for more than 20 games in a season and he might make Kane money. Until then hard pass paying him anything north of 5, needless to say 7.

Edited by gocanes0506

Perhaps He did well enough to flip him for what we really need . Perhaps as a bundle with a RHD.   Conspiracy theory number 7

Next 6

2/15- Edmonton

2/16- Dallas

2/19 Rangers

2/21 @Panthers

2/23 @ Dallas

2/26 LAK

All very winnable games.  4-1-1 during this trip is what is needed to keep pace / squeeze in come the trade deadline.  8 points would be acceptable.  Does the next 3 games determine if we are buyers or sellers?  It was the road trip but we are still one point out.  

edit: sorry flipped Dallas and Edmonton

Edited by gocanes0506

16 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

his quote was the more things change....

basically saying we are in the same position as last season at the same time.  Through 56 we had 61 last season, 62 this season.

I get that this is somewhat digging for a positive but what I see as a positive uptick is the 3 less OTL's. I think OTL's make losers look standing wise better then they are. We've turned 2 of those 3 OTL's into W's.  It's not much but if you have the ability to win more outright, I think you can point to maybe this team's improved a bit to this point over last year. 

Taking away the loser point the Canes have 58 points compared to last years 54 ( Looked up where we were Feb 13) . Which I think paints the better picture in team improvement.....to this point.

Edited by legend-1