The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

Ferland is the Canes rental, don't trade him for PU! We have a better chance of making the playoffs with him than without him. No one is going to trade a young NHL scoring forward with contract for Ferland unless we eat some of his salary, & they need the cap space for something else. I would listen, but only move him if we got something that helps now & in the future.

This team could actual use another scoring F that could be a rental, but the Canes won't do that. At this point I would be against the D for a F trade. The team is really playing well. I would only add a F for futures...something this team hasn't done since well forever.

44 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Dallas is gonna be a PITA...

That's going to be a tough one and I'll be there.Hoping for the good Canes.

55 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Next 6

2/15- Dallas

2/16- Edmonton

2/19 Rangers

2/21 @Panthers

2/23 @ Dallas

2/26 LAK

All very winnable games.  4-1-1 during this trip is what is needed to keep pace / squeeze in come the trade deadline.  8 points would be acceptable.  Does the next 3 games determine if we are buyers or sellers?  It was the road trip but we are still one point out.  

TD wasn't happy with RF taking to long and ultimately doing nothing. What's he doing?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

That's going to be a tough one and I'll be there.Hoping for the good Canes.

I’ll be at the away game

8 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

TD wasn't happy with RF taking to long and ultimately doing nothing. What's he doing?

If we listen to DW, he is talking to a lot of folks and has said we are looking for a center / goalie.  It is at least better than "we like our group."

Will we do something? IDK.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

If we listen to DW, he is talking to a lot of folks and has said we are looking for a center / goalie.  It is at least better than "we like our group."

I say go for it. Enough of this waiting on the future business. We have plenty of that. Use it as a spring board. Sell the farm no? Use it wisely? Yes. Good teams aren't just built through the draft. It takes a wide breadth of savvy moves in the draft, trades, and free agency. Let's try take Cinderella to the dance shall we?

18 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

DzO61qsW0AUbrbl.jpg

Got this from a Chip Alexander tweet.  This is last season's standings on February 11th.

The main reason for him to put this down now is that it's the last time he'll be able to make that point. 

So much is about trajectory. Just looking at totals at a snapshot in time can be deceiving. Like a still picture of two ships tied and nose to nose. But the video would have shown one ship going 40 and the other one 5 knots.

If anyone wants a project, compare the two teams records after game 38. (The last 20 games). That is what the team is now. 

I'll do half of it: this year's team over that span is 14-5-1, and plus 21 goal differential. That spreads out to a 119 point pace, and a full season of +83. This included two tough road trips and 13/20 on the road. This included seeing the two best teams in the league three times total. 

Our longest remaining road trip is 3 games and that's just once and with nicely spaced games. We go to Colorado once, but then get 3 days off, and besides that game we are entirely in the East. 

No one can predict where this is going, but I think the most recent 20 games with gauntlet of challenges are a better indicator than the entire season, and the remaining schedule is the next best thing. Both are smiling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Next 6

2/15- Dallas

2/16- Edmonton

2/19 Rangers

2/21 @Panthers

2/23 @ Dallas

2/26 LAK

The life of a sub-cut line team, the tests just keep coming. The test now is will this team start to believe it's own clippings and let up or play down to the opponent, or will they keep the throttle turned up? If they do the latter, they'll slip over the cutline in these 6 and I think they'll keep rolling through the tougher 5 games that come after these.

To me this is the stretch that we need to pop over the line (beans accounted for) and sit in a playoff spot. It is just sooo much harder to gain on teams than to hold the lead.

• Like 1

rem, why is the schedule shown listing Dallas followed by Edmonton? I had to do a double take, but that's reversed, with Oilers on Friday. No biggie but wanted to point that out.

11 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

rem, why is the schedule shown listing Dallas followed by Edmonton? I had to do a double take, but that's reversed, with Oilers on Friday. No biggie but wanted to point that out.

it was me

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Oh I believe he is but so was RF who was always "looking". The question is can he accomplish it?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Oh I believe he is but so was RF who was always "looking". The question is can he accomplish it?

100%.  actions speak louder than words.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we added a veteran center like Brassard for a 3rd or 2nd rounder. 

I haven’t seen him play for awhile, so I’m not agreeing or disagreeing. Just a gut feeling thing if we can’t get a D for O hockey trade done.

I can see Raleigh being a very desirable destination for FAs and those seeking trades now that the organization is gaining steam and there is a serious effort to win here.

Given that Ferland seems intent on exploring free agency, keeping him is the same as a move, imo.  Not to say we can't make other ones, and still important to move one of our 3 right shot "top 2 pair" d-men if that's what's needed to make sure Fox doesn't opt to go back to school and explore free agency himself.

Edited by LakeLivin

Ferland is our rental. Hope we keep him and try to get him signed later. The team’s chemistry since January 1st has been awesome. I would only make trades that help us beyond this year. I hate to say it, but I’m not entirely sure I’m anxious for Staal to return. Nino for Rask was a no-brainer, but chemistry is a funny thing. Think of how the E. Staal trade as a rental worked out for the Rangers.

Just now, bluedevilcane said:

Ferland is our rental. Hope we keep him and try to get him signed later. The team’s chemistry since January 1st has been awesome. I would only make trades that help us beyond this year. I hate to say it, but I’m not entirely sure I’m anxious for Staal to return. Nino for Rask was a no-brainer, but chemistry is a funny thing. Think of how the E. Staal trade as a rental worked out for the Rangers.

It is a funny thing. However I do think it would be low risk to take a chance on someone who we think would be an upgrade over Walmart. Couldn't do much worse. He's not 2C material.

I've never seen a long term injury guy come in and reach his potential quickly and we don't have ten games to get him up to game speed.

That's even if he wasn't stone hands Staal to begin with.

3 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Put him in Charlotte for conditioning...

3 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Put him in Charlotte for conditioning...

If he agrees that would seem like an obvious move. It would only delay the ultimate decision but we would have a better read on his recovery. I don't think we can under estimate what a player like Staal would bring to the team in a playoff race. At the same time we have been winning while he has been injured and that shouldn't go unnoticed either.

6 minutes ago, OBXer said:

If he agrees that would seem like an obvious move. It would only delay the ultimate decision but we would have a better read on his recovery. I don't think we can under estimate what a player like Staal would bring to the team in a playoff race. At the same time we have been winning while he has been injured and that shouldn't go unnoticed either.

Remember the season the unlikely Bayda and Aucion almost led us to the playoffs while some of the big guns were injured (if i remember correctly, those big guys were Brind'Amour and Williams), and then those big guns were rushed back in and we crashed and burned while they were getting their games back?

Come to Charlotte, Jordy - we need you more than the Canes do right now.