The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

It is a stepwise return. Normally a guy can get back in pretty quick after starting to skate, but this is not normal. After a long down time he's going to need to skate awhile before coming back most likely. 

I agree that a stint in Charlotte would be good for him and the team. 

The next thing is controversial. IF Brindy would play Jordan on the 4th line for a few games, then fashion a 2b line with an eye to defense, this team could still be better with him in there than McKegg or even Wallmark. I was going to write would be better, but frankly, even before the injury Jordan was having a pretty bad year. Since it's a different number of games, have to project to compare but using 80 games projected out:

Jordan 14 goal, 30 point pace, -11

Wallmark: 8 goal, 27 point pace, -9

McKegg: 17 goal, 35 point pace, +3

But right now we're using Martinook at center. 

These numbers are a bit hard to really read though, because Jordan's numbers all came before the team started to explode on the scoresheet. This can be interpreted two ways: 1. Jordan's numbers would have jumped up with the rest of the team. 2. Jordan was holding things back and his absence was actually a key part of the team doing better. 

I am just not ready to think that J Staal is not a better third line center than Wallmark or McKegg. But this year's stats look like there is not much difference. Still, all of the other years J Staal would be better by far than anyone not Aho. 

As a practical matter too, if we had any interest in approaching Staal with the idea of a trade, his trade value has to be at an all time low. See the Skinner trade. If nothing else we'd need to play him to get his value back up to trade him.

My biggest concern is not playing Jordan. My biggest concern is that Brindy still refers to him as our best player. Jordan's best role IMO is that of defense first, check the other team's 1C with some offense. Heck even if he played most of the remainder on the 4th line with say McKegg and McGinn or Foegele. 

But Brind'Amour will be tempted to move him up to 2C. And that, could Staal things out, so to speak. 

I think Staal can help this team. But his return needs to be stepped and slow. Skate a lot. Charlotte for as many games as possible. 4th line for a good while. Then, if he's looking sharp, 2b or really 3rd line.

Staal centering Ferland, Teravainen.

OK, maybe he's getting back sooner than I thought. I don't want to read too much into this, but it sure seems to reflect the idea that as soon as Staal is ready Brind'Amour will throw him in full speed top 6. Charlotte shmarlette. Again, maybe it's just to skate, but it does make one wonder if there will be any easing in at all.

41 minutes ago, remkin said:

Staal centering Ferland, Teravainen.

OK, maybe he's getting back sooner than I thought. I don't want to read too much into this, but it sure seems to reflect the idea that as soon as Staal is ready Brind'Amour will throw him in full speed top 6. Charlotte shmarlette. Again, maybe it's just to skate, but it does make one wonder if there will be any easing in at all.

Ughccclllllll.....

I said this before. If they slide this dude back in and call this "the move". I'm going to be disgruntled. 

Especially when it fails and we don't get in because he has no offensive chops. 

At the end of the day, it's all about wins and losses, not projections, could be's, and should be's. 

Edited by sleekfeeder

22 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Back to high-possession/low-scoring mode.  Well, it was fun while it lasted.

I wonder if Roddie chose the easy answer in Staal in iffy situations knowing he was reliable.  He couldnt do it due to his absence and other players benefited from their new roles.  Rod was forced to trust other players that he normally wouldnt.  Maybe we still see the same now that Rod has learned to trust other players.  Maybe he goes back to old habits.  

Interesting discussion though.  

29 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Back to high-possession/low-scoring mode.  Well, it was fun while it lasted.

Step back from the edge.  Hes only 1 guy

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, cc said:

Step back from the edge.  Hes only 1 guy

That is exactly what I was thinking.....man there are some serious extremists.  I do think JS makes us a better team.  He brings so many small things we are missing.  Just the lack of an ability to win key faceoffs has cost us valuable points in a couple of games.  He is not going to be a 40 goal scorer, but he will make us better, and will not send us back to the dark ages.

For his own well being I hope they wait until until there is 100% certainty his brain has healed, but personally I am looking forward to seeing him back on the ice.  This is not Victor Rask we are talking about here.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, reelpirate5 said:

I do think JS makes us a better team. 

The Hurricanes are 15 - 7 since Jordan went out. That's a .681 winning percentage.

25 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

The Hurricanes are 15 - 7 since Jordan went out. That's a .681 winning percentage.

and it was 60 degrees today........

Trying to make the case that losing Staal is THE reason the TEAM improved over the past 22 games is a serious leap.

I love Martinook. I'm very glad we re-signed him. But Jordan Staal is a far better 3C than him. I just can't think otherwise. The problem is the idea of shooting Jordan right to the second/first line without playing some 4th line time, and a solid amount of third line time first, let alone a conditioning stint. 

Now this was just one practice, and that with the yellow jersey on. Who knows if that means he'll start off there when he comes back. Brind'Amour has made a point of easing guys in with 4th line time after injuries. But he also really likes Jordan. Listening to various interviews, it seems clear the Brind'Amour sees this run as all the more remarkable that we did it without Jordan, and would have been even better if he were here. And he may be right, but I just really hope that he eases him back from such a long time off.

I’ll take Staal over Wallmark and McKegg at center. Martinook should be on the wing. I’m actually looking forward to getting Staal back so we can win some faceoffs. 

The problem is we don’t have a 2C that can produce offense. I want Jordan back but I want him used properly, which means for important draws, on the PK, and in a shutdown role. Not on the PP. Not logging major minutes when we are behind. Not as an extra skater, etc..

At some point they have to realize what Staal’s limitations are and use him accordingly, otherwise he can be detrimental to the team. 

That’s on HCRB.

3 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

The problem is we don’t have a 2C that can produce offense. I want Jordan back but I want him used properly, which means for important draws, on the PK, and in a shutdown role. Not on the PP. Not logging major minutes when we are behind. Not as an extra skater, etc..

If Rod does that then color me surprised.  But I'd love to see it.  If he doesn't, and puts him right back in his old role, I don't think the Canes keep up the .681 pace since he went down.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, reelpirate5 said:

rying to make the case that losing Staal is THE reason the TEAM improved over the past 22 games is a serious leap.

Yep and you can bet your bottom dollar if we don’t keep the same pace, they’ll blame him.  Equally leapy. Hockey fans are a fickle and  superstitious lot.

A player with JS's skills can help any hockey team. For me, the question here is a matter of timing, trade off of skill set, and where the equation(NEED) lies at the present. No team wins enough face offs. No team defends the backcheck enough. No team has enough solid penalty killers. He obviously brings all those things if fully healthy and committed. His return could change the ever evolving and at present decent amount of chemistry, which could hurt in a domino effect. Then again, winning a few more Ozone PP faceoffs and dzone faceoffs protecting a lead could upgrade those struggles. If he had been having a usual 15-20g/35-40a season I would be ecstatic to see his return. The Reality of his season and questionable health upon return leads me to think the timing of it would be out of sorts with what has been happening for 6/7 weeks. Our team in 2019 has become one of speed, finishing snipes at some decent goaltending, and goaltending itself. Not sure what JS brings, good as it might be, adds too much to what the team is doing and building, NOW.

Going to post through Krule's vertical drop shoot of words. Not sure how that happens.

Anyways, I was going to say that Jordan Staal was having an atypically bad year before the injury. It was an outlier. He was on a 14 goal, 30 point pace despite PP time, and very uncharacteristic -11.  He has been a very reliable 45 point guy and an even player despite squaring off against top lines constantly. I don't know what was dragging his game down, but if it was a different nagging injury, or the team malaise that was there for most of the year before this run, he could come back and get back to that 45 point level while shutting the other team's top line down. He could be rejuvenated and oddly rested if he can get his legs and timing back. 

Of course that's why to start him off slow, with low expectations. 

In the long run, a 20G, 40 point 3C that can shut down the other guy's top line could be a big part going forward. The only problem would be that he's not being paid that way. 

Still, for now, if he can get his legs and timing back, he could surge a bit, and join the fun and contribute. 

5 minutes ago, remkin said:

I was going to say that Jordan Staal was having an atypically bad year before the injury.

In story by Luke Here  J indicated he had been himself

But Staal knew something hadn’t been right for a month.

It sounds like he still isn't sure when he will be game ready

2 hours ago, cc said:

Yep and you can bet your bottom dollar if we don’t keep the same pace, they’ll blame him.  Equally leapy. Hockey fans are a fickle and  superstitious lot.

It's your turn to step back from the edge.  Nobody that fits the narrative you are portraying here is condemning Staal as a useless player.  

• Like 1

For as much grief as well-minded folks get when making polls, my prediction is that if we had one, the majority would be concerned shoving Jordan Staal back in the top-6.

• Like 4