The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

In his defense, Nestrasil and Nordstrom were on his wings at one point and it was considered our 2nd line.  Wonder why Jordan Staal doesn't score?  This is one reason.

43 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

In his defense, Nestrasil and Nordstrom were on his wings at one point and it was considered our 2nd line.  Wonder why Jordan Staal doesn't score?  This is one reason.

Having Nestrasil and Nordstrom on your wings isn't optimal, but Staal never seemed to develop any chemistry with Skinner or Aho either.  He's not a bad player, to say the least - far from it.  But he isn't a scoring center either.

Thoughts du jour on the Storm Surge. At my age, I admit that I am Old School, dinosaur if you prefer, and have long decried the "look at me" type of personal celebration which appears to be so pervasive in sports today. High flying dunks, gesticulating after some menial football play, etc seem so antithetical to what I've always believed about "sports", and to me, erode the very fiber of team play. I've admitted it before, but the reason that I've become so enamored of this sport, even though where I grew up rarely had snow, much less ice, was that hockey epitomizes the concept of SPORT, a team of 6 playing together toward one goal, to win. Obviously, all other sports seek a similar outcome, but the feeling I get watching or listening to them is that a win comes secondarily to self aggrandizement?

So much for my soapbox, now to the Storm Surge. Contrary to the criticism we read about from some Old Fart hockey purists, IMHO this is a Team Celebration. Look at the individual players and the crowd who stay. Pure joy being celebrated TOGETHER, not the individual celebration of his/her God given talents, but unified in triumph. So guys, keep up the jubilation, and if there are teams/players who take offense, than they've got the opportunity to stop it, just beat us.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

The one thing you may be missing in your rationale is that other team's lower lines may well be better defensively than their top line.  If you move Aho away from the other teams top line, how often does that put him against their checking line?  On the other hand, he's presumably gonna have to spend less time worrying about D against lesser lines, so maybe that offsets some of the above?  

I think the evidence is contrary to that idea. If most teams could shut down opponent's top lines, then they would, and there would be few if any top lines. The top lines prove their dominance by, well, dominating most teams, who do not have an answer for them. If for instance, teams could stop Aho, they'd be doing it already. They are not doing it (Aho is at 1.14 ppg).

But when top lines roll in here, Jordan and Slavin/Pesce DO shut them down, or at least enough that their offense equals theirs. 

So Jordan does shut down their top line. But they do NOT shut down our top line. Then add to that a 1B line that can sport TT and Ferland, and we probably win that match up too. 

The other thing is that while Jordan has never been able to produce to a 2C level, he does produce some. He is a the high end of production for a 3C. (Well at least before this year). (Here's a weird thing. When ranking all NHL centers by points last year, and just ball parking that the top 30 are top line, top 60 are second line, the number 61 point getter, ie in very very lose thumbnail sense THE top 3rd line producer: Jordan Staal. OK there were 31 teams, but close enough).

So, Jordan Staal produces enough points that together with his D, he can neutralize the other team's top line, essentially removing them from the equation. Other teams generally do not have this. 

But is that worth devoting $6 million/year? Well, maybe. That's one guy equaling the other teams' main scoring threats. That eventually could leave Svech, Necas, Aho, TT, Nino, Williams, and maybe even a new guy to outscore the other teams 2 and 3rd line. That seems like a pretty good bet to me. 

16 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Even more in his defense, for a pretty long run he DID score with those guys on his wings.

41 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

So much for my soapbox, now to the Storm Surge. Contrary to the criticism we read about from some Old Fart hockey purists, IMHO this is a Team Celebration. Look at the individual players and the crowd who stay. Pure joy being celebrated TOGETHER, not the individual celebration of his/her God given talents, but unified in triumph. So guys, keep up the jubilation, and if there are teams/players who take offense, than they've got the opportunity to stop it, just beat us.

One cool thing is that this is innovative. No one else does it. Best I can tell some European teams did the skoal clap and the race to the boards, but nothing like THIS. 

I admit to some mixed feelings early on. I mean duck-duck goose? How much longer till a full game of charades or a three act play? 

And yet, there is no doubt that this has become an inseparable part of what sure seems to be a special season and a special team. Over the years, maybe sometimes I'd stay to see the three stars. Now I ALWAYS stay to see the surge. While at first I thought I'd prefer they just keep it similar and less theatrical, I now have to admit, if they just clapped and skated to the boards every time, it probably would eventually stop being "must see". But now? With the drama? It is must see, and remains that way. It doesn't get old in the way it could without the vastly different versions.

And what an atmosphere. Instead of a few hard core straggler fans staying around for the three stars, the place remains pretty full till the end. Instead of fans whooping in the parking lot and the team whooping in the locker room...for a sustained moment now the fans and the team celebrate the victory together. And that is creating a players-fans bond that other teams can dream of. 

As to the long time, Canada-centric hockey purist fuddy-duds, the more they complain, the better. They don't get us anyways. I was reading a team by team piece just today about 3rd line centers in the league by a Toronto site. When they got to us they listed our guys and then wrote, "who cares anyways noone watches this team." Ha. People are watching now.

I'm still not a fan of the storm surge mess, but it isn't like i'm going to stop watching the team because of it.  It's no worse than that skills competition crap the league ends tie games with.  Well, maybe that mess last night and the duck-duck-goose fiasco a couple weeks back were worse, but on the whole...

18 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Last night's celebration was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

Then they must be doing something right if that's your attitude?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

Last night's celebration was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

Brian Burke? Is that you? How'd you get into BD58's account? Because that sounds nothing like him. Seriously Brian, we need to know.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

I'm still not a fan of the storm surge mess, but it isn't like i'm going to stop watching the team because of it.  It's no worse than that skills competition crap the league ends tie games with.  Well, maybe that mess last night and the duck-duck-goose fiasco a couple weeks back were worse, but on the whole...

I think the celebrations are extremely unprofessional. That being said, I am enjoying watching them. It's been a long time since there has been a good atmosphere in Raleigh.

I think it's funny how people dislike the surge but yet they watch every one of them. Personally I look forward to them because it means that we won and also to see what creativity they bring.

• Like 2

Canes pushing up their goal differential for the year to +5. Buffalo sinks to -10 and Philly, even with it's current run sits at -22. 

The Canes run now sits at 21 games, and they are +22 since December 31. 

Philly's run sits at 15 games, but the last 8 games 7/8 wins were by one goal, and 3 of those in OT. Philly is using smoke and mirrors. Canes' may or may not keep it up, but our run is far more likely to represent a team that can make it.

I like the surge. The players and fans celebrating together. It is very unique. It in no way disrespects the the other team as it’s done after they leave the ice. Anyone who does not like is free to leave the building or turn the tv off.  Keep on surging boys both in points and in cellies. 😉

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, RNT82 said:

I like the Storm Surge.  However, Don Cherry does not...

https://sports.yahoo.com/cherry-hurricanes-jerks-way-celebrate-wins-015204921.html

Says the guy that dresses funny so people will listen to him.  It's a game.  Things change.   If this is what causes fans to stay for the 3 stars and not pile out with 1 min left then so be it.  As long as we are winning, we can see the team go streaking for all I care.  Whatever it takes.

• Like 2