The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

19 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

lowest pay role and he drops 250M on a league that will fail.  Meanwhile, a pro team that he owns has the lowest salary cap and is on the fringe of making it to the playoffs.

First, it's "payroll." I figured a guy with your fat stacks would know that. Second, all teams have the same "salary cap." It's payroll you're (doing a really lousy job of) talking about.

And finally... Eeyore's gonna Eeyore.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, legend-1 said:

I just find it odd, not so much angering. Next offseason's probably his first real offseason where he can shove cash down throats. What I find odd is his concern of the Canes losing 15 mil a year, but drops 250 mil on a venture that's quickly going tits up.

I think this shows he'll spend money on things he wants to work, but it also shows he might be an idiot with his money as well. Which all things Canes considered, doesn't seem like how he operates? So, yea I stick with odd.

I think he's set aside $50 million knowing he and his kids (and their kids, and theirs...) can live quite comfortably on its appreciation--and the rest is for investment in speculative stuff he likes. 

The past 3 games the team hasn't played well.  2 of which the goalie bailed them out.  Will the return of Jordan ignite the team or will it cause us to go on a losing streak?  To be continued....

• Like 1

From an ESPN interview with Dundon:  http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/26033326/qa-tom-dundon-250-million-well-spent-bunch-jerks

ESPN: You're obviously someone with a good handle on your time management. We have to imagine you can own the Hurricanes and the AAF at the same time, yes?

Dundon: Obviously, Roddy [coach Rod Brind'Amour] doesn't need my help. Don [Waddell, the general manager] doesn't need my help. I want to help them where I can. A lot of the things we needed to do to set up the Carolina Hurricanes for success, a lot of that has been done, in no small part to who is doing the work now. I have a lot less to worry about when you have Rob Brind'Amour. I trust him so much. I trust him, I trust Don, and I've gotten familiar with many people in the organization and how things work. I spent a lot of time absorbing and understanding, to see what we could do for them to give them the best chance. We're up the learning curve pretty far now. The amount of time I've been spending on it is much less.

On 2/19/2019 at 10:33 AM, super_dave_1 said:

While I’m no rocket surgeon, dropping $250M on a startup football league when the Canes are spending at the bottom of the pile is...disturbing to a Canes fan.  Startup football leagues are historical losers. 

The AAF ratings were higher then NBA basketball the first week.. and much higher then any national hockey game playoff game of the last few years.. Just sayin' may not be the loser or cash loss. Compared to canes tv numbers, AAF has to look like a huge winner. Attendance also better at AAF games, and he gets a whole league,not just a team

12 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Not sure how I feel about this. Part of me says, "ok he's better than Wallmark", but then the other part asks " Is he?" lol

Edited by sleekfeeder

7 hours ago, sleekfeeder said:

Not sure how I feel about this. Part of me says, "ok he's better than Wallmark", but then the other part asks " Is he?" lol

I think we’re keeping the Wallmark, Martinook, Svech line together if possible.  

Edited by gocanes0506

I just had a crazy   thought for next season  ,  now bare with me  cause i know it wont happen so no need to breath down my neck on this one  .  but if the canes are not in the playoffs  this year  would it be too far fetched  for the team to try and get   Stone , Duchene ,  Panarin and Bobrovsky ?   it's not like the canes to not have the cap to do so  for maybe 1 or 2 of the guys  . 

On 2/20/2019 at 12:53 PM, LakeLivin said:

A lot of the things we needed to do to set up the Carolina Hurricanes for success, a lot of that has been done, in no small part to who is doing the work now. I have a lot less to worry about when you have Rob Brind'Amour. I trust him so much. I trust him, I trust Don, and I've gotten familiar with many people in the organization and how things work. I spent a lot of time absorbing and understanding, to see what we could do for them to give them the best chance. We're up the learning curve pretty far now. The amount of time I've been spending on it is much less. 

Appropriate delegation is the hallmark of a successful businessman or manager.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

I just had a crazy   thought for next season  ,  now bare with me  cause i know it wont happen so no need to breath down my neck on this one  .  but if the canes are not in the playoffs  this year  would it be too far fetched  for the team to try and get   Stone , Duchene ,  Panarin and Bobrovsky ?   it's not like the canes to not have the cap to do so  for maybe 1 or 2 of the guys  . 

lol

9 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Triple  lol   ,  so what are we laughing about ? 

Any of the 4 you've mentioned coming to Carolina?

54 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Well who would you see coming to the canes in the offseason ? Stone and Panarin would be great to have  as canes 

Great to have and likely to sign are very different.

i don’t see us going to 80 million in salary in order to pay for one of those guys. 

25 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Great to have and likely to sign are very different.

i don’t see us going to 80 million in salary in order to pay for one of those guys. 

I know I'm in the minority here, but it wouldn't shock me if TD were willing to cough up fair market value for someone like Stone or Panarin.  He knows that winning puts butts in the seats, and either of those two would make us significantly better.  He's said he'll pay for talent, just not overpay.  Two problems:

1. the teams that land either of the above next season will likely "overpay"  (or be so good as to entice a discount, a la bball players signing with the GS Warriors)
  2. the rental cost is likely to be prohibitive, especially given the small chance of our signing either long term.  The teams that are going to pony up the rental price are likely legit Cup challengers this season, and that's not us.
Edited by LakeLivin

Well, Ottawa did us no favors tonight (insert “duh” here), getting shut out for the second night in a row...back to the outside looking in on the playoffs 

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

I know I'm in the minority here, but it wouldn't shock me if TD were willing to cough up fair market value for someone like Stone or Panarin.  He knows that winning puts butts in the seats, and either of those two would make us significantly better.  He's said he'll pay for talent, just not overpay.  Two problems:

1. the teams that land either of the above next season will likely "overpay"  (or be so good as to entice a discount, a la bball players signing with the GS Warriors)
  2. the rental cost is likely to be prohibitive, especially given the small chance of our signing either long term.  The teams that are going to pony up the rental price are likely legit Cup challengers this season, and that's not us.

We are at 63 million for next season, assuming Aho costs us 10, with decisions on Ferland, Williams, and 2 goalies needed.  

3 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Well who would you see coming to the canes in the offseason ? Stone and Panarin would be great to have  as canes 

McDavid and Matthews too, but you've probably got as much chance with them as you've got with Stone or Panarin? Rein in your (our) desires and someone like Nino will be attainable. IDK Cff but I'm sure we can get a SOLID, if not spectacular player that will be more a shot in the dark for a longer period of time. Panarin especially is attracted it seems to "bright lights" which we are not. Stone I'm not sure of? We are, it seems, building a solid team, maybe not super stars like Toronto or Edmonton, but just look where that has them, one a mess and the other teetering on Cap Hell. 

On another front, Tripp mentioned that Staal was close last night. I keep hearing that, but is there any truth to it, I mean is he even on the trip with the team? Will he be in tomorrow for Dallas? He could be a key to sweeping a team that traditionally is tough for us in their barn.

59 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

On another front, Tripp mentioned that Staal was close last night. I keep hearing that, but is there any truth to it, I mean is he even on the trip with the team? Will he be in tomorrow for Dallas? He could be a key to sweeping a team that traditionally is tough for us in their barn.

Pretty sure John said he was on the trip with the team

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

McDavid and Matthews too, but you've probably got as much chance with them as you've got with Stone or Panarin? Rein in your (our) desires and someone like Nino will be attainable. IDK Cff but I'm sure we can get a SOLID, if not spectacular player that will be more a shot in the dark for a longer period of time. Panarin especially is attracted it seems to "bright lights" which we are not. Stone I'm not sure of? We are, it seems, building a solid team, maybe not super stars like Toronto or Edmonton, but just look where that has them, one a mess and the other teetering on Cap Hell. 

Literally every team wants McDavid   , and they would   try to get him through signing  bonuses .  Dundon  does not scratch me as the type of person that would   bend over backwards just to bring him ,  but we can only wish .   But i was being reasonable  with  who  the canes could maybe get if lets say   any of them become available and the canes  so happen to fail at making the playoffs  for the 10th time  .   That  is why i said don't breath down my neck and that  i know it  wont happen .   just a mere suggestion to thought .  

Edited by Canesfanforever

10 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Well, Ottawa did us no favors tonight (insert “duh” here), getting shut out for the second night in a row...back to the outside looking in on the playoffs 

Whew boy, Ottawa is a bad looking hockey team in what I saw last night.  Columbus must have been playing down to their competition because they didn’t look great for the 2 periods I saw.  Slow motion hockey, looked like an alumni game.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Red_Storm said:

Ottawa is a bad looking hockey team in what I saw last night.

and it appears they are about to get worse.