The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

15 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Tied for WC2

We've got the tiebreaker, so technically we're in the last spot.  And with no magic beans involved, either.

Flyers did us a solid.  Down 3-1 with 3:04 left in the game, tied it up and then won it in OT.  Another example of why you take a shot and pull the goalie early.  Every once in a while it works.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 5

Well I said I would open the island when the hurricanes were in a playoff spot with magic beans accounted for.  And lo and behold they are.  Since I’m about to go check out a couple of islands for real, it only seems appropriate that the island is open for business.

For those newbies on here this is basically an expression of unbridled optimism for the future for this season for this team. This team is getting stellar goaltending has a solid defense and scoring goals. We are following losses up with multiple wins even after our long streak. The projection is not just a second wildcard but at least third  In the  Metro and quite possibly second. 

This trend has been going on long enough to be solid now. Anything can happen, but things are trending so well right now. The team is buying in on Brenda Moore’s and Williams leader ship, edition of Nino and getting Jordan back will help even more. 

I’m all in on Playoffs this year. Of course the final sign of the apocalypse will be one blue Devill58 comes on board, But current evidence suggest that will only happen when the cup is hoisted.

• Like 4

I would love to see the Canes make it in this year and with the way they're playing I would NOT be surprised if they end up second in the Metro.  Washington is surprisingly struggling right now; either that or we're playing THAT well.  We still have 2 more games vs the Capitals AND Penguins this year and it's big that we get points in BOTH of those games, if not WIN those games.  We also have 1 more game vs the Blue Jackets.  We had a chance to win that Washington game earlier in the year because we had like a 2 or three goal lead but we lost that in a shootout.  We got a point but if we somehow end up a point out of the playoffs we have to look back at that one.  I DON'T think the Canes are going to let that happen again, although they did a blow a two goal lead vs Florida but it was nice to see them come back.  This team is exciting to watch and I hope they keep up their stellar play for the rest of the season into the playoffs (IF we get in; I'm saying IF because a lot can happen in 20 games).

8 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Tied for WC2

8 hours ago, hopper915 said:

Flyers winning in OT was really advantageous for us. One more regulation win than the evil empire.

These games are what I'm talking about.  Points will be taken away.  Thank you Flyers.  We'll take 1 pt. considering the hole you dug.

Good to see Washington falling into the mix.  It may be a horse race of 5.  Hey, better yet, if the Canes just keep winning, they can jump ahead and leave the horse racing for those behind.

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Well I said I would open the island when the hurricanes were in a playoff spot with magic beans accounted for....For those newbies on here this is basically an expression of unbridled optimism for the future for this season for this team.

My first real thought of the island in a looong time was when I got the Canes email the other day about Season Ticket renewal and playoff tickets and was like, “You know, I may actually need to budget for playoff tickets this year...”

If I was smart, each year I should have been putting my annual playoff ticket money into a saver account until it was needed.  If I had, I could afford a damn deluxe suite for all of us if they made it this year... 😄

Edited by Red_Storm

We own WC2 with one more game in the month. We’ve gone 9-3 so far this month.  

We have the Kings on Tuesday then March comes. March is a bear. February was mostly a month against none playoff squads.  March is the opposite.

3/1- Blues

3/2 @Panthers

3/5 @Bruins

3/8 Jets

3/9 @predators

3/11 @Avs

3/15 @BJs

3/16 Slugs

3/19 Pens

3/21 bolts

3/23 Wild

3/24 MTL

3/26 @ Caps

3/28 Caps

3/30 Flyers

3/31 @ Pens

Every weekend is a B2B.  16 games. We will need to get to 92 points at least. If we pull out the LAK game then they need 18 points in the month, 19 or 20 if not.  Anything more than 92 takes pressure off March.  

18 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

We have the Kings on Tuesday then March comes. March is a bear. February was mostly a month against none playoff squads.  March is the opposite.

3/1- Blues

3/2 @Panthers

3/5 @Bruins

3/8 Jets

3/9 @predators

3/11 @Avs

3/15 @BJs

3/16 Slugs

3/19 Pens

3/21 bolts

3/23 Wild

3/24 MTL

3/26 @ Caps

3/28 Caps

3/30 Flyers

3/31 @ Pens

Every weekend is a B2B.  16 games. We will need to get to 92 points at least. If we pull out the LAK game then they need 18 points in the month, 19 or 20 if not.  Anything more than 92 takes pressure off March.  

That's a brutal schedule that will either Harden this team up or break it. And I'm so thankful to be so emotionally invested. Onward and upward Caniacs, or should I say, BOJs?

We basically need 12 of 18 points at home and 8 of 14 on the road in March to keep us on pace for the playoffs.  

62% point requirement isnt a big request with that schedule. Much easier than the 75% point grab we’ve done since December 31st.  

Of course taking care of the Kings will give the Canes a little buffer / better playoff chances going into march.  That is the priority number one.

13 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

We basically need 12 of 18 points at home and 8 of 14 on the road in March to keep us on pace for the playoffs.  

62% point requirement isnt a big request with that schedule. Much easier than the 75% point grab we’ve done since December 31st.  

Of course taking care of the Kings will give the Canes a little buffer / better playoff chances going into march.  That is the priority number one.

Not sure your figures are correct gocanes? By my math, we are sitting at 72 points. Of course, I don't know in my math where you figure the "cut line" will be, but I read around 94-95. So by what you've projected, that would put us at 92 points, and only 94 if LAK is counted? Admittedly, the "cut line" is theoretical, so we won't know until the 1st weekend in April?

4 hours ago, remkin said:

Well I said I would open the island when the hurricanes were in a playoff spot with magic beans accounted for.  And lo and behold they are.  Since I’m about to go check out a couple of islands for real, it only seems appropriate that the island is open for business.

For those newbies on here this is basically an expression of unbridled optimism for the future for this season for this team. This team is getting stellar goaltending has a solid defense and scoring goals. We are following losses up with multiple wins even after our long streak. The projection is not just a second wildcard but at least third  In the  Metro and quite possibly second. 

This trend has been going on long enough to be solid now. Anything can happen, but things are trending so well right now. The team is buying in on Brenda Moore’s and Williams leader ship, edition of Nino and getting Jordan back will help even more. 

I’m all in on Playoffs this year. Of course the final sign of the apocalypse will be one blue Devill58 comes on board, But current evidence suggest that will only happen when the cup is hoisted.

lol brenda moore :)

10 minutes ago, dinz said:

Always funny when you catch somebody using speech to text. :)

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

That's a brutal schedule that will either Harden this team up or break it. And I'm so thankful to be so emotionally invested. Onward and upward Caniacs, or should I say, BOJs?

Yep, that schedule will either make or break this team.  IF they can keep up the great player of late (18-6-1 in last 25 and 11-4-1 since the Nino Trade) I don't see any doubt that March will be a success.  We were 8-3-1 in January and during this current streak we have gone against some great teams and beaten them in THEIR building.  We ended the hex vs Vancouver (first victory their in 20 years), the drought vs the Rangers, beat the Stars in their building for the first time in five years, shut out Pittsburgh in their home building and without the penalties at the end of the TB game we could have squeaked out a victory there since they scored their last three goals with like 4 minutes to go in regulation.  We have lost to some crappy teams (NJ and Ottawa) but every team does.  We just have to keep playing well.  This team can not quit now.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2
more to add

50 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Not sure your figures are correct gocanes? By my math, we are sitting at 72 points. Of course, I don't know in my math where you figure the "cut line" will be, but I read around 94-95. So by what you've projected, that would put us at 92 points, and only 94 if LAK is counted? Admittedly, the "cut line" is theoretical, so we won't know until the 1st weekend in April?

My math is 96 seeing how well the rest of the metro and Montreal is playing.

34 minutes ago, dinz said:

Now I have a mental image of a sweet, middle-aged lady (think "Leave it to Beaver" era June Cleaver) who can out-work, out-lift and out-skate any man.... 😂

Looks like the Pens are going to be playing without their top 3 D (Letang, Doumolin, Matta) for a while. JR is either going to have to make a deadline deal for an NHL D, or rely on call ups. TSN is saying that the trade market for D is about dried up, so his options are limited. If Letang and Doumolin are out for an extended period, combined with their mediocre goaltending; I like our chances of creating some separation from them in the standings.

I'm going to have to throw up in my mouth a bit to cheer for the Rags today to beat the Craps cleanly.

12 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

I'm going to have to throw up in my mouth a bit to cheer for the Rags today to beat the Craps cleanly.

I wonder if the Rags are holding out any players due to trading??

March schedule is brutal indeed, but we have laid a lot of eggs against bottom feeders. And we have head to head matchups with the teams we need to beat out. After 9 years of futility, we have to look at this as an opportunity not a negative. If we keep playing the way we have played since January 1st, I think we are up to the challenge.

1 hour ago, caniac_fan said:

I wonder if the Rags are holding out any players due to trading??

If they do, it’ll be Hayes and McQuaid

5 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I look at March as an opportunity. We have our own destiny in our control. Been a long time for that this late in the season.

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

If they do, it’ll be Hayes and McQuaid

It is being said that those 2 are indeed being held out, thus can't see that Rags have very much of a chance in that game vs Caps? Wish that would have happened prior to our games. 

And back to my question gocanes on math. So I'm guessing you are just projecting LAK is a win, thus with what you project as needs to be done in March, that would give us 22 more points, getting us up to 94? So much of that projection presumes teams we are chasing don't also go on tears, which would then raise the "cut line". Things like opponents "sitting players out" (like NYR are doing) or opponents losing 2 key players (Ala Penguins) can easily make games again them a little easier to win. Luck in the sport at it's finest?