The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In-Season 2018-2019

This is where the sportsclubstats numbers help.  Using his simulation, he factors in strength of schedule, based on the results of the current full season.  From today's results, the simulation is clearly calling the Pen's schedule easier compared to the Canes.  It is also factoring the Habs schedule as being more difficult than the Canes.

This is evident because even though the Canes win the tiebreaker with the Pens, the Pens are "ahead."  And even though the Habs have one more point than the Canes, the Canes are "ahead" of them.  MTL's schedule must be pretty tough.

scs.jpg

Pens' schedule may be "easier" wxray, but does the projection take into account the 2 fairly critical injuries that they suffered yesterday? I guess the crux to the answer I've posed is that just because the projection for "ease of schedule" would not change, winnability is a different factor?

Well this is our team. We have done well so it's up to the ones that brought us. One game at a time, one point(s) at a time.

Lets Go Canes

• Like 3

And OBXer, if the report of Dundon going into the locker room shortly before Waddell was on line was true, I would bet that's what he informed the team. This is your show, and it's up to you to persevere. 

Listening to Brenda Moore......I mean Brind’Amour, he sounded sincere when he said that he hopes the group stays together. I know that is a standard line but I think he meant it.

To read further into what he is saying;

It’s not about the size of the dog in the fight, it’s about the size of the fight in the dog.

He said before the season we are not a salary cap team that can win on talent alone, “so we have to find other ways to win (see: hard work).”

Just keep working, and let’s keep it rolling......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kyrule said:

Listening to Brenda Moore......I mean Brind’Amour, he sounded sincere when he said that he hopes the group stays together. I know that is a standard line but I think he meant it.

To read further into what he is saying;

It’s not about the size of the dog in the fight, it’s about the size of the fight in the dog.

He said before the season we are not a salary cap team that can win on talent alone, “so we have to find other ways to win (see: hard work).”

Just keep working, and let’s keep it rolling......

I think of it this way; all these big teams with talented players (Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Washington) are the Soviet Union team of the 80's; the team that kicked everyone's butt in hockey including some NHL teams if I'm not mistaken (they were that good).  Our team is the USA team of that year, not many talented players but they all work hard.  Well, what happened back in 1980; the famous call of Do you believe in Miracles, yes!!!  That was the year the USA team slayed the dragon and won the world Cup (beat Finland that year); they beat the Soviets in the semi-finals.  I'm not saying we're going to win it all this year.  My point just because you have talent on your team does not mean you're the better team.  It does on paper, but not necessarily on the ice.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

32 minutes ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

I think of it this way; all these big teams with talented players (Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Washington) are the Soviet Union team of the 80's; the team that kicked everyone's butt in hockey including some NHL teams if I'm not mistaken (they were that good).  Our team is the USA team of that year, not many talented players but they all work hard.  Well, what happened back in 1980; the famous call of Do you believe in Miracles, yes!!!  That was the year the USA team slayed the dragon and won the world Cup (beat Finland that year); they beat the Soviets in the semi-finals.  I'm not saying we're going to win it all this year.  My point just because you have talent on your team does not mean you're the better team.  It does on paper, but not necessarily on the ice.

Yep, but that was only one game not a best of any series. I think Canes now can win single game against every team but win a series against Tampa?

You never know.  It's happened before where the underdog has won a series against the best.  Edmonton beat Detroit in 06 and I'm sure a few other teams have done it.  TB may be great but they can be beat.  Even though Carolina lost both games against them this year they have played them tough.  If we do end up being the 8 seed and face TB I'm sure TB will win the series but I don't think it's going to be a sweep.  We will definitely not be a pushover with the way we're playing right now.

However, this is one reason why I don't want us to be an 8 seed.  I'd like us to move farther up the standings to a seven or a six.  I'd rather face Boston or Toronto right now than Tampa.

I just keep looking at it like I said and have all through January. Every point(s) you get going forward are points you aren't forced to GET later on. Traditionally one of the teams in the top 8 fails down the stretch(don't be that one) and a spot is there to be taken. The golden apple this year is that we have put ourselves there to take it. Yes, March is tougher schedule wise, buts it's hard to see this team as it's played for the entire 2nd half as potential to completely fail. I see them doing enough to at least KEEP pressure on any of the teams in the mix to also themselves be pressured and have to avoid any prolonged losing of 3 or 4 games. The metro has so much parity that it has the potential to keep the final number down from the usual. I am beginning to think the injuries on D have Pitt in some trouble, but if we can put together the same 6 weeks or really even close to it, it really doesn't matter who fights for 7 and 8 spots, we'll be fighting for 2nd.

I’d love it if Buffalo and us make it and the BJ’s and Evil Empire are on the outside this year...as much as I don’t care for the Slugs

Edited by AWACSooner
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I’d love it if Buffalo and us make it and the BJ’s and Evil Empire are on the outside this year...as much as I don’t care for the Slugs

It would be so sweet if Pittsburgh does not make it this year.  Maybe the injuries to their defensemen did them in this year.  However, I think the BJ's will make it in.  I think Montreal will likely be the odd team out this year.  If Carolina keeps playing like they are (I don't see them not) I do see them overtaking Columbus and Montreal and finishing in maybe 6th or 7th in conference.  That would put them against either the Bruins or the Maple Leafs maybe even the Islanders. 

3 hours ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

I think they actually won the Olympics. I have been to the Olympic Center in Lake Placid twice for figure skating competitions. There is a huge mural that covers all 4 entrance doors into the rink that shows the scene at the end of the game with the Soviets. All the Americans were celebrating like crazy. The Soviet players all were hanging their heads, no doubt wondering what part of Siberia they were headed to. The stunning thing is that the US team consisted of college players - true amateurs. The Soviet team was the Red Army team that lived and trained together in Moscow 50 weeks a year. But it was a one off. The two teams played an exhibition before the Olympics, I think in MSG, and the Soviets won something like 8-1. I saw a documentary on the game - I think on an ESPN 30 for 30. The Russian Hockey Federation replaced the longtime coach of the team in the year before the Olympics. The Russian players were very loyal to him and not fond of his replacement. The Soviets had the best goalie in the world. Just before the end of the first period, he let in a soft goal, and the coach pulled him for their backup. They interviewed team members 30 years later who felt without the goalie change they would still have won. Still one of the great sports stories of all time, but if you ever get to see the documentary about it there are a lot of interesting back stories and subplots.

After being down 0-2 in the 3rd, LA just jumped in from of TB 3-2. I hope they beat Tampa, and use up a bunch of energy in the process!

Edit: 3-3 now. See how quick things change?

Edited by surfzone365

6 minutes ago, surfzone365 said:

After being down 0-2 in the 3rd, LA just jumped in from of TB 3-2. I hope they beat Tampa, and use up a bunch of energy in the process!

Edit: 3-3 now. See how quick things change?

Well we are not the only team that can lay a steaming pile when playing against bottom feeders. Good to know. Don’t cere who wins but here’s hoping for OT and a 12 round shootout.

Take care of business tomorrow night and we could be Met #3 or WC #1. At the very least, if Columbus with their overhauled lineup beats Pittsburgh, we gain separation on Pittsburgh if we win.

on Hockey Buzz, a Pittsburgh blogger ripped JR a new one and in effect said “this is what Carolina fans said to expect when JR was hired.” His time may be running short in Pittsburgh.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Hockey Buzz, a Pittsburgh blogger ripped JR a new one and in effect said “this is what Carolina fans said to expect when JR was hired.” His time may be running short in Pittsburgh.

WE TOLD YOU SO!!!

That fan base deserves him...and I hope he wrecks them for decades to come, and maybe they’ll finally move to KC ;)

In other news, LA just took the Bolts to the SO before losing...tomorrow night’s game just got really interesting 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Well we are not the only team that can lay a steaming pile when playing against bottom feeders. Good to know. Don’t cere who wins but here’s hoping for OT and a 12 round shootout.

Went to a SO. Mission accomplished 👌🏽👍🏽