The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

Opening Night - Canes vs Islanders - October 4th, 7 pm

Hard to believe another season is here. I just could't pass this one up and I'll be there waving my towel in the air, hopefully a lot! 

Opportunity is sitting there. Can this team grab it? I have no doubt that if this team comes out of the box strong, interest will build. So many things have been done on and off the ice to create a new thing here. The passion evident in the building during that last preseason game shows what this place can be like if the team can just have some success on the ice. 

It definitely seems like this is going to be a team that goes for it. Making instinctive, creative plays at the expense of possible mistakes, but also physical and full on effort. Gotta think this will make for an exciting, fun brand of hockey, win or lose, but I do think we will need to win to get people back in the seats after the opener. 

Let's build off a really great pre-season and bolt out of the gates with a big win tonight! 

Go Canes!!!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

So they are starting Svech on the 4th line. Interesting. Protecting him, or teaching him he has to learn to play two ways? 

I suspect Svech isn't long for the 4th line, but the upside is that he can score by himself, and that gives us a 4th line that could score.

Also interesting that PDG is probably sitting. PDG does bring energy, but I'd have picked him to sit too. Not super psyched about Fleury sitting, but I guess it's a seniority thing partly. 

Staal with Foegele and Williams makes a lot of sense to me. None are speed demons, but all play the right way. Probably draw the top line for the Islanders, but that line can score too.

I really want to see Ferland with Aho and TT, because that line should work and if it does, it will help a lot. And Aho gets to keep showing his stuff at center.

So nice to have a real game to discuss!

Im not overly surprised with Svech being on the 4th line with Aho and Turbo together. Had Turbo and Aho been separated then Svech would be with Aho.   Roddy is trying to protect all the rookies by putting them with veterans.

42 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Im not overly surprised with Svech being on the 4th line with Aho and Turbo together. Had Turbo and Aho been separated then Svech would be with Aho.   Roddy is trying to protect all the rookies by putting them with veterans.

That part makes sense, but the 4th line typically gets a lot less ice time, and Wallmark and Martinook have not been elite drivers of offense at the NHL level. These make that a 4th line. It will be interesting to see if Rod rolls 4 lines most of the game. I totally get starting this way, but at some point Svech is going to end up on a higher line with better offensive players and more ice time IMO. Maybe even within this very game.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Perhaps just as important as protecting the rookies imo is maximizing Aho's comfort level at center by keeping Turbo on his line.  And I've got to believe that the organization wants Ferland out there as a physical presence to counterbalance the young Finns, especially Aho as he tries to master the center position. 

Edited by LakeLivin

3 minutes ago, remkin said:

That part makes sense, but the 4th line typically gets a lot less ice time, and Wallmark and Martinook have not been elite drivers of offense at the NHL level. These make that a 4th line. It will be interesting to see if Rod rolls 4 lines most of the game. I totally get starting this way, but at some point Svech is going to end up on a higher line with better offensive players and more ice time IMO. Maybe even within this very game.

On the other hand, McGinn isn't exactly an offensive dynamo either, and Necas at the NHL level is unproven, as well.  Be interesting to see how much ice time the bottom two lines get in comparison to one another.  Wouldn't surprise me if it ended up being fairly close (with Zykov getting a lot of extra minutes on the power play).

24 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

On the other hand, McGinn isn't exactly an offensive dynamo either,

That's true but he has shown an offensive upside. 16 goals and 30 pts can't be overlooked. When he skated with a scoring line last year you could see the scoring ability.  Still we aren't looking at a sniper. His game has been mostly on checking lines and the PK. I don't want to overstate his importance as a scorer but I don't want to understate his value. He has become a good solid hockey player.

• Like 1

opposing lines?

Beauvillier-Barzal-Bailey

Lee-Nelson-Eberle

Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Komarov-Filppula-Fritz

Pelech-Pulock

Hickey-Leddy

Sbisa-Boychuk

Looks like Thomas Greiss is in the starter's net.

per twitter from the morning skate

Yeah I see McGinn as the classic poster boy for a guy who gets a little better every year. 

I've seen different articles with different claims about when NHL forwards peak, but 25-26 is what I've mostly seen lately. This year is McGinn's 24-25 year old year. So this year is more likely to be near peak than last year.

His three seasons have been: .19 ppg then .28 ppg, and last year .38 ppg. I think his peak is probably 40 points or .5 pgg. It would not be at all surprising to me if he approached .5 ppg this year. 

And yeah, he's not elite, he's not going to be Aho, but he's got way more offense than Martinook ever will, and Wallmark has to date.

I think McGinn's role on the that line to be the dirty man.  He will be going into the corners and get pucks, being physical, and has the speed to keep up with Necas.

Necas- driving offense

McGinn- getting dirty in the corners and being physical

Z- hanging in front of the net cleaning up the messes

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Brindy Gameday morning Brindy speak.jpgspeak (click on picture to listen)

"Just play on your toes and go for it, and we'll talk about the mistakes later."

• Like 1

Let's just contemplate that we are having to deal with discussing playing skilled players on the 4th line.

This is a discussion we haven't had to have for years.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

Brindy Gameday morning Brindy speak.jpgspeak (click on picture to listen)

Looks like he's telling a Jerry Seinfeld joke. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, remkin said:

Hard to believe another season is here. I just could't pass this one up and I'll be there waving my towel in the air, hopefully a lot! 

Opportunity is sitting there. Can this team grab it? I have no doubt that if this team comes out of the box strong, interest will build. So many things have been done on and off the ice to create a new thing here. The passion evident in the building during that last preseason game shows what this place can be like if the team can just have some success on the ice. 

It definitely seems like this is going to be a team that goes for it. Making instinctive, creative plays at the expense of possible mistakes, but also physical and full on effort. Gotta think this will make for an exciting, fun brand of hockey, win or lose, but I do think we will need to win to get people back in the seats after the opener. 

Let's build off a really great pre-season and bolt out of the gates with a big win tonight! 

Go Canes!!!

Pls be a good year, Not getting any younger.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, remkin said:

I really want to see Ferland with Aho and TT, because that line should work and if it does, it will help a lot. And Aho gets to keep showing his stuff at center.

So nice to have a real game to discuss!

I can't wait to see Ferland hit someone,been waiting years for this.