The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Checkers Talk 2018/19 Season

23 hours ago, remkin said:

So with the 2-3 format, they have 3 home games to win 2. Really think they should do 7 games, but get this one!

It's a best of 5 for Round 1, then goes to a best of 7 for the remaining playoffs rounds.

Awsome effort to win 3-0 down multiple defensemen.  Thank you for the call-ups we really needed them.  Those young legs are a part of the difference.

48 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

It's a best of 5 for Round 1, then goes to a best of 7 for the remaining playoffs rounds.

Right. I just don't see why 2 more games would be that hard to do even in the first round. I hate to see the better team potentially lose. It's no huge deal, just a preference. If the Canes played a 5 game series vs Washington, they'd be golfing now. 

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Right. I just don't see why 2 more games would be that hard to do even in the first round. I hate to see the better team potentially lose. It's no huge deal, just a preference. If the Canes played a 5 game series vs Washington, they'd be golfing now. 

I wonder if it might have to do with travel in the AHL?  How far do teams bus vs. fly?  Of course, you'd think that for the playoffs they'd spring for flights regardless, but I have no idea about the dynamics down at that level.

Just now, LakeLivin said:

I wonder if it might have to do with travel in the AHL?  How far do teams bus vs. fly?  Of course, you'd think that for the playoffs they'd spring for flights regardless, but I have no idea about the dynamics down at that level.

Probably is something like that. May be part of why that first series goes 2-3 rather than 2-2-1. That and an arguably bigger advantage to the home team. Just hate to see the favorite at risk in a short series, when we're the favorite!

8 minutes ago, remkin said:

Probably is something like that. May be part of why that first series goes 2-3 rather than 2-2-1. That and an arguably bigger advantage to the home team. Just hate to see the favorite at risk in a short series, when we're the favorite!

Yeah, the 2-3 format involves only 1 trip for each team.  Did you mean a bigger "home team" advantage in a 2-2-1 format or the 2-3?  If I've got the home team advantage I think I'd rather play the first two and fifth at home instead of risking losing the first 2 on the road and needing to sweep the next three at home.  We're definitely in agreement that a 7 game series would be preferable.

5 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Yeah, the 2-3 format involves only 1 trip for each team.  Did you mean a bigger "home team" advantage in a 2-2-1 format or the 2-3?  If I've got the home team advantage I think I'd rather play the first two and fifth at home instead of risking losing the first 2 on the road and needing to sweep the next three at home.  We're definitely in agreement that a 7 game series would be preferable.

I've heard it speculated that the 2-3 format favors the home team more. Not sure that it's really true though. 

CHECKERS WIN TONIGHT 4-1 OVER THE BRUINS AND WIN SERIES 3-1!!!!! ADVANCE TO ROUND 2!!!!!

They will play the winner of the Hershey/Bridgeport Sound.

Edited by hopper915
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, hopper915 said:

CHECKERS WIN TONIGHT 4-1 OVER THE BRUINS AND WIN SERIES 3-1!!!!! ADVANCE TO ROUND 2!!!!!

They will play the winner of the Hershey/Bridgeport Sound.

Awesome. Glad the 5 game series is in the bag. 

It will be funny if the Sound Tigers(Islanders AHL team) wins tonight, cause they will be playing the Checkers(Hurricanes AHL team) in Round 2 too!!!!!

Watching a bit of the Checkers game on AHL.com and just turned on in time to see a sweet goal by Morgan Geekie. Very composed move. Geekie has 5 goals and 7 points in 6 games.

38 minutes ago, remkin said:

Watching a bit of the Checkers game on AHL.com and just turned on in time to see a sweet goal by Morgan Geekie. Very composed move. Geekie has 5 goals and 7 points in 6 games.

Is Ned in goal?

Ned in goal, and Gauthier just scored a highlight top shelf goal. 5-2 Checkers at the moment but I'm a touch behind. Now about 10 minutes left 3rd period.

7-3, Jurco to Necas and a nice shot by Necas (2 goals tonight), Jurco with a 5 point night. Don Waddell in the building apparently. Good for Jurco. 

Hershey keeps taking penalties at the end. 

One of the interesting things watching AHL.com, you can toggle between home and away announcers. Hershey announcers saying Hershey was the best team in the AHL in the second half. Going to need to come back from down 2-0. Checkers with no Poturalski, and Bishop got hurt about half way through. I haven't seen McKeown, ?hurt? Not sure.

Edit: 7-3 Final. 

Charlotte up 2-0.

6 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Any updates here? What round are they in at present? Sorry to be so "lazy" but not able to easily access? 

Charlotte is up 2-0

Round2_Hershey_Schedule_full.jpg

Thanks OBXer, I just found the site and saw that. What a weird schedule, but looks like our guys are doing well so far? I'm sure they are glad that we didn't hold on to Ned much longer, but then looks like Dustin Tokarski is doing well. Brings up an interesting question, should Checkers prevail and Tokarski backstop, do we have to share the trophy with the Ranger organization?