The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Checkers Talk 2018/19 Season

Mattheos scored the GWG with 2:08 to play.  3-1 win.  Checkers are up 3-0!

1-1 and Mattheos scored with 2:08 play. Saarela scored an empty netter.

Checkers killed 8 minutes of PP time in the third to keep it tied. 

Checkers only gave up 18 shots over 3 periods with all their PK time.  That is a smothering performance.  I am not sure how Sellgren looked. He was on the ice for the only goal allowed.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

Congrats to the checkers on a sweep of their own. On to the next round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Saarela scored 2 goals in each of the last 2 games.

Top 6 next year? But do we have room?

6 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

I doubt it unless he beats out Necas. 

I feel like Saarela is gonna be another Zykov.

10 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Saarela is an interesting case, and not just because of the bizarre spelling of his name. 

I would think he deserves a serious shot in the NHL because he has a serious shot. (See what I did there?). 

I can't say I've been watching him in Charlotte, so clearly it will depend on what our coaches and scouts down there think of his overall game, but this guy scores goals. Even if long term he's not the right fit, he could be traded if he can score in the NHL. 

He had 30 goals in 69 regular season games and now 6 goals in 7 playoff games. That adds up to 36 goals in 76 games or a 41 goal pace over 82. And he put up 25 in 69 last year too, so he is clearly a goal scoring AHL stud. Of course this does not mean it will translate to the NHL, but how can we not try to find out? This is where all of the depth we've been building is starting to show up.

Saarela ended up being picked late third round in the draft, but he was a huge upside-huge downside kind of pick. He was considered elite at a young age and had ups and downs in his pre draft career. His ups were very high. But he ended down and slid from at one point a first round prospect. He's also had some very badly timed injuries. This only matters because some third rounders are sort of average draft pick players with no particular elite skill set. Saarela has an elite shot. 

He was also #5 on the team in plus/minus. Yeah, yeah, but better to be at the top of that list than the bottom. 

I get the "where does he fit" thing. That is legit. I've been pushing the Necas bandwagon forever and I still see him as our best prospect not in the NHL, but I think we need to give Saarela a look. That's just too many goals. How we fit him in? Good problem to have. Ferland is almost surely not back, but who knows? He may have to be first man up with injuries if Necas makes the team, but this guy might well actually hit 40 goals including playoffs within 82 actual games (not projecting). Gotta look at that guy.

Checkers get last year's champs next, Toronto Marlies. 

Jayson Shaya says their not the almost unbeatable team they were last year, but they have yet to lose in the playoffs, now 7-0. 

Of course the Checkers are 7-1, so pretty even.

13 minutes ago, remkin said:

How about the Junior Jerks send a Canadian Team packing.

41 minutes ago, cc said:

How about the Junior Jerks send a Canadian Team packing.

Sounds good to me. The Marlies were good, not great during the regular season. We have home ice. 

Lets get the trifecta: Stanley Cup, Calder Cup, and Kelly Cup. Hey, it could happen.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

Sounds good to me. The Marlies were good, not great during the regular season. We have home ice. 

Lets get the trifecta: Stanley Cup, Calder Cup, and Kelly Cup. Hey, it could happen.

Why not us?  No reason AT ALL.

On 5/9/2019 at 12:17 PM, remkin said:

Jayson Shaya says their not the almost unbeatable team they were last year, but they have yet to lose in the playoffs, now 7-0. 

Of course the Checkers are 7-1, so pretty even.

When is that series starting rem, next Friday and Saturday if I am reading correctly?

35 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

When is that series starting rem, next Friday and Saturday if I am reading correctly?

upcoming_round3.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry if this was already mentioned, but I believe Ned won the AHL equivalent of the Vezina trophy. He was also named a First Team All-Star.

Congrats to Ned. 

I wonder how much longer he is going to be developed.

22 hours ago, Kyrule said:

Sorry if this was already mentioned, but I believe Ned won the AHL equivalent of the Vezina trophy. He was also named a First Team All-Star.

Congrats to Ned. 

I wonder how much longer he is going to be developed.

Yeah, Ned really put together an amazing back half run. He was solid to start, but just figured it out in the back half. I think he sported a .940 ish save percentage for the back half of the year. He was our highest draft pick goalie since Cam Ward going high second round, so clearly our highest hope, so there's that pedigree to go with his current production. 

The question of when to bring up a goalie and how, is tricky IMO. He needs to play, yet he also needs to see NHL ice. We can't just throw him into #1, but is back up the way to go either? He has 2 NHL starts. (Though he does have an NHL career save percentage of .953). 

Seems the best thing would be to stay in Charlotte but somehow get at least 10 NHL starts. But really that would take an injury and the desire to not ride the back up through that injury. 

The low number of NHL starts just makes me think he doesn't start the year as back up, but Mrazek/Ned is not crazy. 

He sure seems to be right on the cusp if not ready.

Well, they just handed the Marlies their first playoff loss this season...series tied at 1

• Like 1

Scored 5 unanswered to win this one.  Down 3-0, Jurco scored with 4.5 minutes left in the 2nd. Sellgren & Roy scored in the 1st half of the third, 69 seconds apart, to tie it up.

checkers took the lead with less than 2 minutes left on a Poturalski score.  Brown added a EN 58 seconds later to seal it.

Ned was pulled after allowing 3 goals on 12 shots. Tokarski stopped all 9 of the shots he faced in 35 minutes of play.

pretty solid defense play by the team to only allow 9 shots in 35 minutes.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1