The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Checkers Talk 2018/19 Season

In the house tonight.  Easily the loudest game i've ever been to in Charlotte - next time i'll have earplugs.  Some were better than others but what mattered is they got the win.  Bishop once again the best forward on the ice for Chex as far as i'm concerned, and Didier once again the best defenseman.  Calder Cup finals, baby...

• Like 1

Nice!

Let’s Go Can...Checkers!

P.S. 

I agree realm, Bishop is just all over the place. Whatever that guy weighs, most of it is heart and hustle.

Didier has been a pillar..,in a good way. He has surprised me the most as I know next to nothing about him.

Mrs. and I turned on the radio call streaming for the first OT.   Aside from the Fluery near miss, sounds like Ned had some important saves.

Jason Shaya LOST HIS MIND!  He went on a ref diatribe.  He out and out said: "The refs are terrible and are making every call for the Marlies, calling 'chintzy' penalties against the Chex, and ignoring blatant Marls penalties.  I've never mentioned the refs like this in my 9 years here before, but now is the time.  This is a disgrace."   Or something very close to what I just quoted.  He was ticked, ticked, ticked.  Not sure if he'll hear from the league or not.

BTW, I actually liked Big Mike Maniscalco's calls over Shaya's.  If Forslund doesn't resign, please don't sign Shaya.  And I'm not just talking about this incident, I'm talking about the style of call in general.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

He’ll hear from the league. You don’t make that strong of a statement towards the refs and go unscathed.

The idea that refs are God’s emboldens them. If they dont get a handle on it it will cost the sport . Aka NFL.

This is just so great. I wish more Canes fans at least loosely followed the prospects the way the people opining in this thread do. There is a core group of prospects that have been part of the new and improved draft and develop that Francis started, that have been winning things. Started in Traverse City and grew with the Checkers. It is hard to translate directly to the Canes, but it has to be a good sign, and guys that have gone through these things and won get some winning in their mojo. 

I watched three of these games, but missed this last one. I can tell you though that they've had to beat very good teams to get here but the Marlies are the ex Champs, and you can see their skill is deep. And their PP is lethal so if they had a major assist from the refs, even better on our guys. BTW if the reffing was demonstrably so bad and the league calls Jayson, maybe he should tell them to watch the tape and report back if they really think he's their biggest problem.

Most Canes fans won't even get their radar's blipped by a Checkers Calder, but as a long time watcher of our AHL squads, I am seriously stoked about this.  They will either play Chicago or San Diego. Both teams had the exact same winning percentage down to the tenth of a percent, despite playing a different amount of games (another weird AHL thing). I guess travel would be easier to Chicago and games would probably not go so late, but we have home ice either way, so just bring it on!

One possible minor extra advantage with a Calder win could be increasing trade value of prospects. I don't even know if this is true, but it might be!

Prospects come to the NHL in different ways. We all see the Lindholms, Svech's and Hanifins who are hugely taughted and start off in the NHL. Some see the Necas' who show a certain flare from  the beginning, don't make the big club immediately but have a clear path. But there are also guys who work themselves up though the system out of the view of most fans. Pesce and Slavin in college, Foegele, and McGinn in Juniors and AHL. 

A lot of fans presumably know of Necas. But we have other guys in the AHL that are on the cusp. Will they be NHL players? No. Ha! Most of them No. But the yield only has to be a few. In addition the the obvious Necas, Bean, and Ned, guys like Kuok, Mattheos, Drury (college), and Saarela stood out, and especially in the playoffs, Shaya could not stop talking about our hulking first rounder Gauthier. Heck Poturalski spit the bit last time he came up, but the guy had 47 assists last year, maybe if a team needed a pp playmaker...

Outside of Bean, Necas, and probably Ned, guys still have to prove it, and most won't get a chance. But maybe one or two of those B prospects could be part of a trade package. Anyways, just a great run by these guys. 

I guess I’ll have to cool my jets on Fleury and Sellgren.

although both have scored, Fleury has struggled to get the puck out of the zone the last two games. Not good.  Sellgren didn’t play a lot in the OT.  V doesn’t trust him much in all situations yet.

11 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Thanks to Lake, I was watching that and did not see the puck go out of play? So who really cares, if we won. Great for them, on to Caulder Cup.

Kjun, fixed that for you..  That sentence needs a comma almost as much as this one: "Let's eat Grandma." :lol:

And a nod to Cansfanforever, who I believe originally found that channel.   

For some reason it was mostly actually watchable for me.  No high speed internet out where I live, so live video usually isn't.   Hopefully I'll get lucky on much of the Cup series as well. :crossfingers: 

Was just looking at some AHL playoff stats and 2 things jumped out at me for the teams in the semis: goal differential and penalty minutes.

GD       PIM/game

Chex       +25            16.8

Marlies     +8               8.2

Wolves    +3             11.3

Gulls       +11              9.5

I wonder how many of the Chex penalty minutes were fighting majors, which could skew the stat?  But still, not enough to put them close to the second highest penalized team . . . 

Edited by LakeLivin

5 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Mrs. and I turned on the radio call streaming for the first OT.   Aside from the Fluery near miss, sounds like Ned had some important saves.

Jason Shaya LOST HIS MIND!  He went on a ref diatribe.  He out and out said: "The refs are terrible and are making every call for the Marlies, calling 'chintzy' penalties against the Chex, and ignoring blatant Marls penalties.  I've never mentioned the refs like this in my 9 years here before, but now is the time.  This is a disgrace."   Or something very close to what I just quoted.  He was ticked, ticked, ticked.  Not sure if he'll hear from the league or not.

BTW, I actually liked Big Mike Maniscalco's calls over Shaya's.  If Forslund doesn't resign, please don't sign Shaya.  And I'm not just talking about this incident, I'm talking about the style of call in general.

Shaya's rant:

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

I guess I’ll have to cool my jets on Fleury and Sellgren.

although both have scored, Fleury has struggled to get the puck out of the zone the last two games. Not good.  Sellgren didn’t play a lot in the OT.  V doesn’t trust him much in all situations yet.

Fleury was absolutely useless keeping the puck in the zone last night as well.  Truth told i wouldn't shed a single tear if he were gone next season.  He may bring more offense than some, but you guys all know this about me - i like defensemen who are actually able to play defense, and the ability to stop a whiffle pass from getting past you is gravy.  Give me Didier, Carrick, JWesley, and even McKeown over Fleury any day of the week that ends with a Y.  If he has another gear, i'd like to see it, because i haven't seen it yet.

12 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

In the house tonight.  Easily the loudest game i've ever been to in Charlotte - next time i'll have earplugs.  Some were better than others but what mattered is they got the win.  Bishop once again the best forward on the ice for Chex as far as i'm concerned, and Didier once again the best defenseman.  Calder Cup finals, baby...

Can't find much on Didier except he's 26yo and decent size.  Can you provide some specifics on his play? (puck handling, D, passing, etc.) 

20 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Shaya's rant:

Didn’t care for him when he was covering for John, but he has a point.  NHL and AHL need to clamp down on their zebras before this really gets out of hand.

59 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Didn’t care for him when he was covering for John, but he has a point.  NHL and AHL need to clamp down on their zebras before this really gets out of hand.

Wow!  The rant was stronger than my attempt at a quote.  I forgot the "criminal, criminal, ...  Absolute disgrace" part.  Yowzer.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Can't find much on Didier except he's 26yo and decent size.  Can you provide some specifics on his play? (puck handling, D, passing, etc.) 

Stay-at-home defenseman but i've seen him let loose a few vicious shots along the way as well, and on net.  Very fluid skating style, deceptive in that he's usually moving a lot faster than he looks.  Defensively i'd say i think he's the best the Chex have.  Offensively he isn't - i'd probably compare him to Pesce in that he doesn't bring a lot of offense but picks his spots, those spots usually being at the right times.  Passing is good, puck-handling is good.  Not necessarily a highlight-reel hitter but one of the Chex' more-physical players.  In the quest for offensive defensemen, he's not your guy, but if you want another Pesce-type, i think he's the closest we've got.  Already 2 years older than Pesce, though, so it isn't like he's the up-and-coming heir apparent.    Makes some good head-turning defensive plays, though, and i think he could make some of those in Raleigh as well if he ever got the chance.  Though he won't, because offense...

Realm, what is your take on Roland McKeown? Gaudy plus minus numbers for a couple of years running and a guy who was deemed NHL ready about 2 full seasons ago. 

3 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Shaya's rant:

Well, you’ve got to give Shaya credit for having the guts to call them out. Was he suggesting the AHL would favor a team from Toronto over a team from N.C.? That sure never happens in the NHL. And the penalty disparity was only 9-1. Disclaimer: I didn’t see one minute of the game. But I wonder if that rant will get him blackballed from ever having a shot to call games at the NHL level?

As an aside, I might want to make a road trip to Charlotte on Saturday. Are tickets hard to come by? And if I can’t make it, I saw a reference to the games being streamed live. Where would I find that?

3 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Shaya's rant:

Wow, that was quite the rant.He didn't say anything that everyone wasn't thinking but very rarely do you hear refs called out by a play by play guy so overtly.. Nobody can accuse him of sour grapes since it turned out to be a very sweet ending

14 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Well, you’ve got to give Shaya credit for having the guts to call them out. Was he suggesting the AHL would favor a team from Toronto over a team from N.C.? That sure never happens in the NHL. And the penalty disparity was only 9-1. Disclaimer: I didn’t see one minute of the game. But I wonder if that rant will get him blackballed from ever having a shot to call games at the NHL level?

As an aside, I might want to make a road trip to Charlotte on Saturday. Are tickets hard to come by? And if I can’t make it, I saw a reference to the games being streamed live. Where would I find that?

I bet someone will post the site here when it happens, but you can also search YouTube for "The Cuda Phil Show".  He's been streaming the games live (the price of admission is him doing karaoke during intermissions). .

23 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I bet someone will post the site here when it happens, but you can also search YouTube for "The Cuda Phil Show".  He's been streaming the games live (the price of admission is him doing karaoke during intermissions). .

Thanks.

On 5/27/2019 at 3:32 PM, remkin said:

Realm, what is your take on Roland McKeown? Gaudy plus minus numbers for a couple of years running and a guy who was deemed NHL ready about 2 full seasons ago. 

Quiet game that looks better to me in pretty much every aspect than Fleury, but still somehow doesn't jump out as a sure thing.  I'd give him a shot before giving Fleury another one, though.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 2:55 PM, realmdrakkar said:

Stay-at-home defenseman but i've seen him let loose a few vicious shots along the way as well, and on net.  Very fluid skating style, deceptive in that he's usually moving a lot faster than he looks.  Defensively i'd say i think he's the best the Chex have.  Offensively he isn't - i'd probably compare him to Pesce in that he doesn't bring a lot of offense but picks his spots, those spots usually being at the right times.  Passing is good, puck-handling is good.  Not necessarily a highlight-reel hitter but one of the Chex' more-physical players.  In the quest for offensive defensemen, he's not your guy, but if you want another Pesce-type, i think he's the closest we've got.  Already 2 years older than Pesce, though, so it isn't like he's the up-and-coming heir apparent.    Makes some good head-turning defensive plays, though, and i think he could make some of those in Raleigh as well if he ever got the chance.  Though he won't, because offense...

Did a quick read of his Bio, realm and your "head-turning defensive plays" appears to be a play on words, particularly when one looks at a few major penalties plus 3 game suspension? Too bad those "vicious shots"you mention don't go in as he sounds like he might be a Ferland clone, or am I reading that wrong? Going up and down between the ECHL and AHL doesn't sound too promising either?

14 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Did a quick read of his Bio, realm and your "head-turning defensive plays" appears to be a play on words, particularly when one looks at a few major penalties plus 3 game suspension? Too bad those "vicious shots"you mention don't go in as he sounds like he might be a Ferland clone, or am I reading that wrong? Going up and down between the ECHL and AHL doesn't sound too promising either?

YMMV.  I didn't see the play that resulted in the suspension so i can't speak for it, but he's certainly passed the eye test with me.  I did say he doesn't bring a lot of offense and that he's one of the Chex' more-physical players.  As far as going up and down between the ECHL and AHL, he's played 195 career AHL games to 17 career ECHL games with none of the ECHL games coming this season, so it isn't like he's a career ECHLer who gets the lucky AHL callup now and again.