The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Checkers Talk 2018/19 Season

19 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Based on the roster I see him battling Maenalenan for the last slot.

2-1 Checkers so far. Geekie and Brown scored, Ned stopped 2 of 3.

Probably. But still, don't scratch Pu, just not a good idea. Hey a little Junior High Humor never killed anyone.

But Geekie is coming out guns a blazing. Might well be this year's rookie sensation. 

Maenalanen scores a shorty and Carrick tips a shot from the point

4-1 Checkers end of the second. Ned 12/13

Charlotte has 2 PPs, 1 SH, and 1 EV goals.

Edited by gocanes0506

3-2 Win! 

1 G: Poturalski, Carrick, Cajkovsky

2 A: Maenalanen

1 A: McKoewn, Brown, Kuokkanen, Necas

19 PIMs: PDG ?

Ned 23/25 saves

scored a PP goal (1 for 9)

scored a shorty ( 8 for 9)

Ned stopped a Penalty Shot

• Like 1

Checkers give up a SHG and cant score in the last 7 minutes, lose 4-3.

ned stopped 24 of 28

bean was the only player with a plus rating for the game.

Edited by gocanes0506

1 minute ago, gocanes0506 said:

Checkers give up a SHG and cant score in the last 7 minutes, lose 4-3.

ned only stopped 17 of 21

bean was the only player with a plus rating for the game.

Theahl.com shows 24 saves on 28 shots though

14 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

Theahl.com shows 24 saves on 28 shots though

Forgot that the score portion on the site updates without the stats on the page updating. I didn’t refresh the page. Fixed, thanks for the catch.

Checkers over Lehigh Valley 7-4

Carrick 1G, 1A

Saarela 1G, 2As

Maenalenan, Schlikey, Brown 1G

Roy 2Gs, 1A

Necas & Gauthier 2As

Smallman, Poturalski, Didier, Renouf, & Kuokkanen 1A

Ned 25/29

I am so excited about the 11-2 start my head is spinning. So many good things happening. So naturally, I'll point out the one thing that gives me pause. The one thing we need more than anything now is a top goalie prospect. Ned's 25/29 is .862. For the year he has now dropped to .901, essentially the same as last year. 

I know that save percentage has to be looked at in some context, but at some point can a Cane or Checker goalie get a nice juicy save percentage just one time?

Im not watching the games to know if its defensive breakdowns or something else that is causing the low save percentage.

They aren’t giving Booth enough time though.  4 of the 12 would have been right.  He needs some rest as his save percentage has gone down over the last couple of weeks.

Forgot the Checkers were already playing today and, of course, Booth was in the net.

Checkers lost 4-2.  Booth was 17/20.

Kuokkanen & Poturalski scored.

Booth and Necas both had an assist.

Janne Kuokkanen is tied for 8th in the AHL in scoring (16), tied for 11th in goals (7) and tied for the league lead in power-play points (9)  -- from the Checkers website

I know its a too easy, probably unfair comparison, but Kuok reminds me of lower level Aho. Can he bring it in the NHL? I think so based on the way he seemed to make some plays in preseason even last year. 

I have to say Clark Bishop is looking better than I expected, Roy less so, but I still think Kuokkanen needs a look at some point. 

The problem is same as always. We can't count on newbies to produce right away, and at the moment we need production. But Kuokkanen has more production in him right now than any prospect that's not from Russia, IMO.

Checkers lose 3-2 in OT

Gauthier & Poturalski scored

Gauthier has 6 goals in 15 games. So far on pace for a 26 goals & 17 assists this season. His shot % is up one point from last season.

Ned 28/31

Special teams didn’t do well. PP 0/6 and PK 5/7.  

No shots for the Checkers in the OT.

11 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Gauthier & Poturalski scored

Gauthier has 6 goals in 15 games. So far on pace for a 26 goals & 17 assists this season. His shot % is up one point from last season.

Last year was the year for Gauthier to learn how to play pro hockey or risk washing out. He seemed to start to get it in the back half of the year. This is the year for him to get ice time and start to put it together. This guy may not be the next Aho in terms of seeing the ice, but he has serious hands and puck skills to go with his massive frame, and still has big upside as a power forward IMO. And BTW he is a finisher. Any team we know need a finisher?

Checkers got back on the win side of things yesterday, with Kouk and Poturalski (two top scorers) potting one each in a 2-1 win. Ned went 27-28 stopped for .964. His overall save % still not great at .908, but he leads the AHL in wins. 

Kuok and Poturalski are both over a ppg and #11 and #8 in the AHL in points, and Kuok is tied for #9 in the AHL in goals. At some point, Kuok should get a sniff in the NHL. If I recall, the guy was not just another call up that couldn't produce in the NHL. He was making chances happen last year in camp and preseason, and he's only better this year.

Checkers lead the AHL (1/31) in points and points percent. Currently the best team in the AHL. 

I gotta get back down to Charlotte this year.