The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Checkers Talk 2018/19 Season

22 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

to add to it Charlotte has one scorer in the top 20 of AHL scoring even with a .750 point percentage.  Now we have had a bunch of callups so that hurts the chance. 

Yet a team like Chicago Wolves has 5 top 20 scorers with a .622 P%

It is a real team effort for the Checkers.  That bodes well for sustained success because one call up or one injury isn't going to change their entire trajectory.

And they're doing it with sup par goaltending. Ned is #26 in save percentage. And then there's Mongo.

Trevor Carrick, Janne Kuokkanen will represent the Checkers in the AHL All Star Game and Mike Vellucci will coach the Atlantic Division.

• Like 1

missed the last 2 but

Game one:

Saarela scored late in the 1st.  Ned made a 22 save shutout.

Game two much higher scoring

Checkers 6-4 win

Schlikey scored twice

Carrick had 1 G & 3 As

Saarela had 1 G 

Geekie and Pots has a G and a A

Pu had an assist! YAY! So did Bean, McKeown, and Necas

Ned saved 25 out of 29

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Bishop on the ice for warmups in Charlotte.  And when the hell did we get Sanguinetti back?

Earlier in the year, maybe a few weeks ago?

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Earlier in the year, maybe a few weeks ago?

He’s looking good, as is the whole defense, particularly Didier.  Darling is in net but looking good.  0-0 with 5 left in second.

Lost 1-0 in OT.  Can't put it on Darling or the defense - the Chex simply had no offensive finish whatsoever.  Even though they outshot the Bruins, they were of the variety we all know oh so well where most of them were into Vladar's chest protector.  Darling made some very impressive saves.  7 defensemen which led to constantly-rotating defensive partners, but they all worked well together.  Didier looked great.  Bean looked the best i've seen him.  Carrick, McKeown, Fleury, Sanguinetti, and even Renouf were solid enough.  Bishop looked good.  Otherwise the forwards were a big pile of meh - nobody looked bad, but nobody did much, either.  Carrick, Bean, and Fleury led the team in shots... obviously no finish there either, but they did all carry out their defensive responsibilities well.

9 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Charlotte said they’ll be looking for forward help.  

Good for Darling doing well.  

It's nice to think the Canes have a lot of great forwards in the pipeline, but truth told i don't see it.  We're still not making it to as many Chex games as i was hoping to, but i'm getting enough of an eye test to make a few speculations at least.  Bishop and McKegg have pretty much confirmed my thoughts in their NHL chances, with the style they play (though i have to admit MennenMelanin has looked better than i thought he would at the NHL level) - obviously they'll never be Ahos but they play the right game to be solid 4th liner/PKers in the NHL (Bishop looked extremely good once again on the PK last night - he impresses me the most there, which is why it kind of bums me that he isn't used much on the PK in Raleigh because i think he'd raise a few eyebrows there if given the chance).  I agree Necas is going to be good in the NHL but that he wasn't ready this year.  Still might be another year away in fact, but maybe he has an epiphany over the summer.

Beyond that, man, i don't know.  Roy probably comes closest to impressing me on a regular basis, but not enough for me to carry the torch for him.  Poturalski and Saarela may be leading the team in goals, but then so were Boychuk and Terry a few seasons back and we all know how well they did at the NHL level.  Honestly i'd be surprised to see much more from them if ever given the call.  Kuok, i don't know.  He has a flash of brilliance every now and then, but more often than not he skates around in the neutral zone doing figure 8s or whatever while his teammates are playing defense and then if they manage to get the puck to him, he proceeds to do doody with it.  Remember Zykov?  Difference is Zykov finally 'got it' as an AHLer and now he's in Vegas doing little.  Kuok hasn't 'gotten it' yet, IMO.  Geekie is fun to watch but i think he's reached his max.  Gauthier is a warm body.  Patrick Brown continues to look good at the AHL level but none of us want to ever see him in Raleigh again.

Honestly Bishop is the only Chex forward who's made me say 'wow, this guy', while Wallmark and McKegg looked like naturals as well.  Beyond that, the Chex i think have the most potential are log-jammed because they're all defensemen - Carrick, Fleury, Didier, McKeown, Bean, Wesley (who can't even seem to break the log jam in Charlotte).  Charlotte saying they'll look for forward help doesn't surprise me at all.  The Canes need to continue looking for that elusive D-for-F trade, because while there may be a surprise or two waiting to happen in Charlotte, outside of Necas, there isn't much to hang the future on here.

That is a great update Realm. I have hoped for someone who lives in Charlotte and or gets to Checkers games to keep us in the loop about our prospects down there. Though it is a bit disappointing that certain forwards in the system are not really showing much. 

Statistically (outside of Poturalski) it's Kuokkenen at .84 ppg, Saarela .78, Necas .74, Roy .66. Necas has gone pointless in 4 games, before that he was approaching a ppg for a while there. And as a rookie, he's producing pretty well. If Kuokkenen is just cherry-picking, then that won't help his NHL game. 

Bean has been coming on statistically, has he looked good too?

Gauthier sounds like he's still not there. This is disappointing, given some were ready to suite him up right after the draft. There is a reason that we passed on him with our first pick, and at this point his draft-mate Bean seems to be passing him by. I will admit that in that particular draft, by the time we got to pick our first pick, all forwards left were risks and picking Bean was the right move. Just too bad it came on the heels of using our previous two first picks on D men, but I digress.  

Anyways, maybe we could still trade some prospects off the #1 AHL team. Anyone not named Necas could go in my book, probably hold onto Bean too. 

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:35 AM, realmdrakkar said:

It's nice to think the Canes have a lot of great forwards in the pipeline, but truth told i don't see it.  We're still not making it to as many Chex games as i was hoping to, but i'm getting enough of an eye test to make a few speculations at least.  Bishop and McKegg have pretty much confirmed my thoughts in their NHL chances, with the style they play (though i have to admit MennenMelanin has looked better than i thought he would at the NHL level) - obviously they'll never be Ahos but they play the right game to be solid 4th liner/PKers in the NHL (Bishop looked extremely good once again on the PK last night - he impresses me the most there, which is why it kind of bums me that he isn't used much on the PK in Raleigh because i think he'd raise a few eyebrows there if given the chance).  I agree Necas is going to be good in the NHL but that he wasn't ready this year.  Still might be another year away in fact, but maybe he has an epiphany over the summer.

Beyond that, man, i don't know.  Roy probably comes closest to impressing me on a regular basis, but not enough for me to carry the torch for him.  Poturalski and Saarela may be leading the team in goals, but then so were Boychuk and Terry a few seasons back and we all know how well they did at the NHL level.  Honestly i'd be surprised to see much more from them if ever given the call.  Kuok, i don't know.  He has a flash of brilliance every now and then, but more often than not he skates around in the neutral zone doing figure 8s or whatever while his teammates are playing defense and then if they manage to get the puck to him, he proceeds to do doody with it.  Remember Zykov?  Difference is Zykov finally 'got it' as an AHLer and now he's in Vegas doing little.  Kuok hasn't 'gotten it' yet, IMO.  Geekie is fun to watch but i think he's reached his max.  Gauthier is a warm body.  Patrick Brown continues to look good at the AHL level but none of us want to ever see him in Raleigh again.

Honestly Bishop is the only Chex forward who's made me say 'wow, this guy', while Wallmark and McKegg looked like naturals as well.  Beyond that, the Chex i think have the most potential are log-jammed because they're all defensemen - Carrick, Fleury, Didier, McKeown, Bean, Wesley (who can't even seem to break the log jam in Charlotte).  Charlotte saying they'll look for forward help doesn't surprise me at all.  The Canes need to continue looking for that elusive D-for-F trade, because while there may be a surprise or two waiting to happen in Charlotte, outside of Necas, there isn't much to hang the future on here.

Thanks for the assessment.

I think we have a ton of bottom 6 players in Charlotte that could have a season or two that give us decent points.  The exceptions to that are Kuok, Necas, and Gauthier.  Gauthier has the chance to be a very good 2nd line power RW if he can give that effort level consistently. 

With the knowledge that we have a ton of bottom 6 dudes, we need to spend of some very good top 6. 

I think with us having to call up Maen….., McKegg, and Bishop (although back down), we have pulled a lot of consistently performing talent from the offensive group in Charlotte. So, Charlotte will look to add a veteran or two.  Heavy prospect laden teams rarely perform consistently enough to compete for championships in the minors. 

On 2/3/2019 at 10:54 AM, remkin said:

Bean has been coming on statistically, has he looked good too?

There hasn't been a game yet where he was the standout defenseman to me, but he does seem to look better from game to game, and on both sides of the puck.

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I think we have a ton of bottom 6 players in Charlotte that could have a season or two that give us decent points.

I think that's the abridged summary right there.  A few depth/role players, and a few Boychuks.  For my own part i wouldn't be looking for much from Kuok - anyone who wasn't impressed with Zykov, i can't see them being too impressed with Kuok.  I definitely see Zykov as the better player of the two, unless Kuok wakes up starts playing a 200 ft. game, which i haven't seen happen.  Mind you he didn't play the other night - was out due to injury.  But the games i've seen, it's cherry-picker central.

• Like 1

Updates on Checkers? Still leading in points? Never mind, they apparently recalled Pu and won both games. Does that now mean we won the Skinner trade, haha?

Edited by KJUNKANE
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Updates on Checkers? Still leading in points? Never mind, they apparently recalled Pu and won both games. Does that now mean we won the Skinner trade, haha?

Checkers still lead with 79 points and a .69 Point percentage.

Pu is back for 2 games.  No points and a -1. 

As far as checkers help, Fox, Martin, and Cotton are possibilities.  Cotton sooner than the others.  BC doesn't look like it will make anything passed the conference tournament.  Cotton is a lot stronger than his last 2 seasons and plays on the first line.  With one more goal he has as many goals as the last 2 seasons combined. 

Mattheos is another possible add to the roster but much later.  The Wheat Kings are doing well.  So is their Captain, Stelio. He has 90 points in 56 games.

If we do get another winger, adding Foegele or Maenalenan to the Checkers roster is a possibility. 

Im sure Reading will welcome Booth back with welcome arms.  Also good to get him starter minutes.

Tokarski vs Darling after that point.

On 1/12/2019 at 6:59 PM, gocanes0506 said:

Gauthier averaging a goal a game over the last 5 games.

Gauthier has three goals in his last two games and five in his last six.  Keep it coming.

32 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

For you who are closer followers of the Checkers, how is Jurco doing? I'm sure better than Pu?

2 goals in 2 games but i didn't make it to either of them so i can't give any opinion of his play.

From Shaya's 10 thoughts on the Checker's website. 

2. With Charlotte sitting at a winning percentage of .697, it's not hard to imagine finishing above .700. That would be the best mark in AHL team history. I doubt many could've imagined that before the season started. 

I think he means our AHL teams, but still. He also thinks they have a clear path to winning it all, while that was very unlikely in past years due to powerhouse teams blocking the path that are not there this year. 

While the Canes are rightfully stealing the headlines, the baby Canes are tearing the AHL up.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

From Shaya's 10 thoughts on the Checker's website. 

2. With Charlotte sitting at a winning percentage of .697, it's not hard to imagine finishing above .700. That would be the best mark in AHL team history. I doubt many could've imagined that before the season started. 

I think he means our AHL teams, but still. He also thinks they have a clear path to winning it all, while that was very unlikely in past years due to powerhouse teams blocking the path that are not there this year. 

While the Canes are rightfully stealing the headlines, the baby Canes are tearing the AHL up.

Good Times, rem

• Like 1