The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Checkers Talk 2018/19 Season

Necas had gone on a drought with 3 points in 15 games but his 3 points tonight has him 10 points in the last 10.

checkers win 4-1

Edited by gocanes0506

11 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Necas had gone on a drought with 3 points in 15 games but his 3 points tonight has him 10 points in the last 10.

checkers win 4-1

Necas will rock the NHL eventually. Mark it down.

3 hours ago, remkin said:

Necas will rock the NHL eventually. Mark it down.

Canes are counting on it. Much like every team that drafts someone in the top 10.

I tried to go on Checkers website, but could not find anything. What is Janne Kuokkanen having surgery for?

Edited by KJUNKANE

10 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I tried to go on Checkers website, but could not find anything. What id Janne Kuokkanen having surgery for?

Haven’t disclosed why.

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Canes are counting on it. Much like every team that drafts someone in the top 10.

Yup by they don't all do it.

Necas is the rarest of things, a very high end prospect coming up with a full year in Charlotte.

5 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Now that's completely ridiculous, if his season is over? And he was one of their leading scores too, wasn't he gocanes?

3rd I believe. Without looking, i think he had the highest PPG rate.

Pots

Brown

Kuok

Geekie

Bean

in that order off of memory for points for the Checkers.

From Shaya's 10 thoughts:

5. Martin Necas is playing some of his best hockey right now. In his last seven games he’s picked up 10 points (4G, 6A), including two power-play goals in Ovechkin-like fashion on Wednesday night. He deservedly ended as the game’s first star. 

Back to just under .8 ppg as a rookie. 

Real deal.

• Like 1

The Checkers have clinched a spot in the Calder Cup Playoffs! "

Division Semifinals Best of 5 series

29 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Division Semifinals Best of 5 series

Shaya really thinks that the Checkers have a clear path to the cup that hasn't been there in past years, but the scariest thing is a 5 game series. Seems like an odd way to reward the best team in the league. Would two more games really kill them? Anyways, to a nice run.

Ned had a 23 shot shutout tonight.

checkers have 98 points and need 4 more for a division title.

Canes Prospects tweeted during the whole game. Said Ned bailed out defense a lot during the game. 

Veterans scored all tonight. 

From the Checker's website:

"Alex Nedeljkovic broke his own franchise record by winning his 32nd game of the season tonight. Since 2005-06, he is the only AHL goalie to record back-to-back 30-win seasons … Tonight was Nedeljkovic’s fourth shutout of the season, tying him for fourth in the AHL, and the 10th of his AHL career … Nedeljkovic currently leads all qualified AHL goalies in goals-against average …"

Somewhere on this site I calculated Neds' save percentage over the last 20 or so games (or something like that) and it was very impressive. I have to think he's continued that. 

Ned was drafted in 2014. This shows how long it can take to develop a player, especially a goalie and D men. It sure looks like Ned is getting close to ready.

28 minutes ago, remkin said:

From the Checker's website:

"Alex Nedeljkovic broke his own franchise record by winning his 32nd game of the season tonight. Since 2005-06, he is the only AHL goalie to record back-to-back 30-win seasons … Tonight was Nedeljkovic’s fourth shutout of the season, tying him for fourth in the AHL, and the 10th of his AHL career … Nedeljkovic currently leads all qualified AHL goalies in goals-against average …"

Somewhere on this site I calculated Neds' save percentage over the last 20 or so games (or something like that) and it was very impressive. I have to think he's continued that. 

Ned was drafted in 2014. This shows how long it can take to develop a player, especially a goalie and D men. It sure looks like Ned is getting close to ready.

Great news rem, and if so, than wonder if/who we keep around on the big team? Hate to see either go, and guess my thought would be that if we do, than which of the 2 (Mac or Mrazek) would be the better "role model" for THIS GOALIE? Doubtless Bales will weigh in heavily on that decision? I really, really hate to see us part with either, but who knows, CMac may want it?

16 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Great news rem, and if so, than wonder if/who we keep around on the big team? Hate to see either go, and guess my thought would be that if we do, than which of the 2 (Mac or Mrazek) would be the better "role model" for THIS GOALIE? Doubtless Bales will weigh in heavily on that decision? I really, really hate to see us part with either, but who knows, CMac may want it?

So hard to know if they see Ned as ready for...back up? I'm guessing that ideally he'd be eased in with call up games next year and still plays in Charlotte a lot of the year. He needs to keep playing and not watching from the bench. Plus not all AHL goalies with nice stats translate into the NHL. 

CMac has that age thing going against him, and (as also with Mrazek) who know if he wants to stay here? 

I'd like to go into next year with the same pairing, but no NTC's. Then try to work Ned into some games and go from there, eventually trading a guy if Ned proves ready.

If it came down to CMac or Mrazek, I love McE's calm game and rock solid save percentage, but Mrazek has played himself into #1 consideration in the back half of this year IMO. If I had to pick between them I'd go with us signing Mrazek given the age situation. 

Not sure what other UFA's or trades we might be looking at either. 

At least we appear to have options, and Ned coming on in the back half of this year adds one more. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Checkers win?

Yes 4-1. 

Both 2017 3rd rounders scored in the same game, Geekie & Mattheos.  I wonder how many times thats every happened. 

Mattheos had a couple of other good chances to include a penalty shot.  Missed it though.

gauthier and saarela scored as well.

Edited by gocanes0506

Gonna see them play the Monsters in a few weeks, hope it's an asskicking to make up for the Columbus game.

What I don't understand is bringing in Tokarski. He's kicking *edit*, that's cool but he's not ours so what's the point of making him better? I feel like Booth would be better suited with this opportunity from a long range Canes perspective. 

8 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Gonna see them play the Monsters in a few weeks, hope it's an asskicking to make up for the Columbus game.

What I don't understand is bringing in Tokarski. He's kicking *edit*, that's cool but he's not ours so what's the point of making him better? I feel like Booth would be better suited with this opportunity from a long range Canes perspective. 

I think they wanted to give booth, ned, and helvig starter time.  

Chex are in.

Division Semifinals Best of 5 series with maximum of 3 home games
Division Finals: Best of 7 series with maximum of 4 home games
Conference Finals: Best of 7 series with maximum of 4 home games
Calder Cup Finals: Best of 7 series with maximum of 4 home games

The format of the 5 game series is the first two on the road, last three at home. Split on the road and things look pretty good. If one is looking to go to a home playoff game and the Checkers win the first two, might only be one game at home.