The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Checkers Talk 2018/19 Season

This is an amazing achievement for the Checkers. A bit squelched by the big club's playoff bid, but how sweet to have our top minor league team atop the minor league. 

And according to Shaya, they are also the team to beat. In past years there have been monster teams to get through, but this year the Checkers are that team.

“Scott Darling was a healthy extra”. Was wondering where he was. Imagine if we needed a call up for goalie In The SC.  Who would we take? Ned or DArling. Easy question?

3 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Bean called up, hope that does not detract from the Checkers chances?

There is that, but talk about pucker factor for Bean should Brindy tell him he is dressing for an NHL playoff game. 

17 hours ago, cc said:

“Scott Darling was a healthy extra”. Was wondering where he was. Imagine if we needed a call up for goalie In The SC.  Who would we take? Ned or DArling. Easy question?

Easy question. Ned's been killing it and Darling's been killing....his team. His save percentage in the AHL this year: .882. Darling will never again wear the sightless eye.

Ned's pulling a Mrazek. His save % over the last say 25 games is something like .940. He's gone from .900 for the first half to .916 and he's 33-5-9.

It could be a blow to Charlotte if it had to happen, but the big club comes first.

• Like 1

Alex Nedeljkoric was named 1st team all AHL.  His time to play for the Canes is next year.  I can see them resigning Petr as primary and using Ned for about 30 starts.

Andrew Poturalski was named 2nd team all AHL.  He has not gotten a sniff of a call up.  I suspect he will leave the organization.

No mention of Roland McKewon or Jake Bean to 1st or 2nd team, but Jake did make the All Rookie team.  

Boudreau was on XM this morning talking about how they sent 3 full time NHLers to their AHL team for seasoning.  These were full minutes NHL guys.

Just remembering that the Checkers will deal with stuff like that in the Calder Cup playoffs.

Mike Vellucci, please make it mandatory for your charges to watch the Tampa/Columbus series to see what is possible in post season play? Show them how different regular and post seasons are and Go Checkers.

Great for Alex! 

He had the wins all year, but his .916 save percentage is deceiving because most of the first half he was around .900. So in the back half he was, I think, above .930, showing that he just kept getting better.

Teams like to really let goalies push up, but it will be interesting to see how he figures into the Canes plans next year. 

He is looking more and more NHL ready. 

While all eyes are on the Canes tonight, the Checkers start their playoffs a but under the radar tonight in Providence, best of 5. The last Checkers game I went to was vs Providence and we clobbered them, something like 8-1. Checkers controlled the regular season series, but Providence has some players. If the Canes weren't playing, I might try to watch this.

Checkers need to avoid the pattern of the NHL, since they are the top team this year. Five game series can be tricky. Go Checkers!

Great!!! All eyes are on the Canes still, and I'm fully engaged in the Canes winning the next two and moving on.

But if that doesn't happen, and the Checkers do, I could see a trip to Charlotte in my future.

• Like 1

Sangs gets one for a hit to the head but joining a fight from the bench gets three. Backwards.

So with the 2-3 format, they have 3 home games to win 2. Really think they should do 7 games, but get this one!