The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Florida Everblades 2018/19 Season

Winiecki propels ‘Blades to triumph

Blake Winiecki scored with only 3:18 left in regulation to help send the Florida Everblades to a 5-4 win over the Newfoundland Growlers on Wednesday night

The series takes a day off on Thursday before resuming with Game 4 on Friday at Mile One Centre. Faceoff is slated for 5:30 p.m. ET.

Thanks OBXer for your updates. In the photo there, a player is shown, Gudbrunson? Is he the NHLer or kin? Too lazy to look up.

27 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Thanks OBXer for your updates. In the photo there, a player is shown, Gudbrunson? Is he the NHLer or kin? Too lazy to look up.

This is Alex Gudbranson not Erik. He is Erik's brother

1 minute ago, OBXer said:

This is Alex Gudbranson not Erik. He is Erik's brother

Thought as much, thanks. Could not see how Eric slipped that far, but what do I know, what with Darling's sad story?

O’Brien’s hat trick pushes Growlers past Everblades

Zach O’Brien registered a hat trick and the Newfoundland Growlers scored three times on the power play to earn a 6-0 win over the Florida Everblades in Game 4 of the Eastern Conference Finals on Friday night at Mile One Centre.

The ‘Blades face a must-win situation on Saturday night when the two teams meet for Game 5 at Mile One Centre

11 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Funny how the Canes' organization seems to be simultaneously grinding to a halt in much the same manner?

The Checkers are still alive.

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

Interesting.  Karmanos owns the Everblades, wonder what the relationship between him and TD is at this point and if that was a major factor in the move?

So who’s our ECHL team gonna be be now and what happens to all the Everblades players under contract with us?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AWACSooner said:

So who’s our ECHL team gonna be be now and what happens to all the Everblades players under contract with us?

Precisely my thoughts on this AWACS?

I'm curious to know what's next as well.  Unsurprisingly there still isn't any mention of this on the Hurricanes' site, but then they're always a step or three behind the affiliates.  Best bet might be to search ECHL team sites and see if any of those have announced being the new affiliate.

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Greenville SC’s team makes sense.

Good find.  Not only geographically, but they're not currently affiliated with an NHL franchise.   Not sure about "Swamp Rabbits" though, lol.

15 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Good find.  Not only geographically, but they're not currently affiliated with an NHL franchise.   Not sure about "Swamp Rabbits" though, lol.

Swamp Rabbits are people too.

• Like 2

Currently the Swamp Rabbits roster is composed entirely of players under contract to Greenville.  By comparison, Everblades have 2 players under a Canes contract (goalies Helvig and Booth), 2 under a Checkers contract (Pat McCarron and Kyle Platzer), 2 Panthers, and one Cleveland Monster.   Less than 2 hours by car to Charlotte; sure does seem like it could be a great match.

On 5/25/2019 at 9:21 PM, LakeLivin said:

Currently the Swamp Rabbits roster is composed entirely of players under contract to Greenville.  By comparison, Everblades have 2 players under a Canes contract (goalies Helvig and Booth), 2 under a Checkers contract (Pat McCarron and Kyle Platzer), 2 Panthers, and one Cleveland Monster.   Less than 2 hours by car to Charlotte; sure does seem like it could be a great match.

Outside of a goalie and a couple of skaters  we are wont need roster spots 

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Outside of a goalie and a couple of skaters  we are wont need roster spots 

Can't see that as being an issue either way.  Gotta believe that anyone signed to an NHL or AHL team is almost certainly a higher caliber player than one signed to an ECHL team.  I'd wager the Swamp Rabbits would have no problem freeing up as many spots as needed, and upgrade their team while doing so.

The only thing I know is that these kinds of NHL-minor league alliances tend to be fluid and change a lot. The one that matters is Charlotte. I'm sure the Canes knew this was coming and have a plan. I am among the few of you on this board that have a pretty deep interest in our prospects. But even for me, I can't even generate one extra heart beat about what happens in the ECHL. It's worth discussion, but just meh for me.

14 minutes ago, remkin said:

The only thing I know is that these kinds of NHL-minor league alliances tend to be fluid and change a lot. The one that matters is Charlotte. I'm sure the Canes knew this was coming and have a plan. I am among the few of you on this board that have a pretty deep interest in our prospects. But even for me, I can't even generate one extra heart beat about what happens in the ECHL. It's worth discussion, but just meh for me.

Seems to me like the one thing worth paying attention to in the ECHL is upcoming goalies.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Seems to me like the one thing worth paying attention to in the ECHL is upcoming goalies.

It is, but it is soooo hard to keep up with goalies below the AHL level, and especially to try to interpret what the numbers might mean given the competition level, and not knowing how much that guy was hung out to dry nightly. 

On 5/24/2019 at 4:55 PM, LakeLivin said:

Interesting.  Karmanos owns the Everblades, wonder what the relationship between him and TD is at this point and if that was a major factor in the move?

I wondered the same thing. I don’t think PK made an appearance at a Canes game this year. Then again, he didn’t make that many appearances when he was majority owner, and he may have just wanted to leave the ownership stage to Dundon. But it does seem there is some indication that both of these guys can be difficult to work with. Probably PK just made a financial decision based on what Nashville was willing to offer. The Canes were never going to break off this relationship as long as PK was majority owner of the big team. Other than our 2 young goalies, it doesn’t sound like we had any real prospects at Florida anyway.