The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes0506

Canes vs Rangers 10/7/18

51 minutes ago, caryhurricanes said:

I think the crowd also seemed to sense .. when ever the rangers scored .. we were going to match them and overtaking them was near certain.

Before we left for the concert, Mrs. wxray says to me: "Don't worry, this team is different.  Being behind is no problem.  It feels a bit like '06."

Me: "Them's mighty high standards there!"

But, she has a point.  It not only feels different, it IS different, right down to the unique end of game celebration.

Edited by wxray1

56 minutes ago, caryhurricanes said:

were you at the game? 

I was speaking specifically about the slow start for the 1st half of the 1st period. Just offering an opinion.  That being said, When you can hear the sound of the opposing fans in the TV feed that speaks volumes.(Zoo calls)  I have been to a couple of games over the last couple years and understand how it is when Rangers fans are there.  As far as attendance I saw this in the camera feed and via comments on this thread.        "Sounds like plenty of Rangers fans. A lot groaners when the Rangers didn’t get a call.  Also the lack of showing the crowd by the camera says it musnt be very good."   

1 hour ago, PamlicoPuck said:

Lots of talk goes into the "playing for one another" coversation. Anyone see the camera shot on the bench of Staal congratulating Svech. on the goal.. This team was having fun all up and down the bench.. IMO thats what so different to start, than years past... That kind of energy is contagious to the fans....

Absolutely agree. The veteran guys and the coaches are stressing the support of the younger guys and the younger guys are responding in what seems like genuine cohesiveness. I have to caution it's early, and winning makes things easier, but this is what Brind'Amour said he wanted, and installed Williams, who is embracing it and it is looking really good so far. This should re-enforce the idea and hopefully keep on through the down times too. 

I personally think it will really help Svech and Necas in particular as they make rookie mistakes, but also create offense and fun things for the fans to see. 

My dabbling in playing sports was mostly in High School basketball. There is no question that when I was worrying about making mistakes it greatly hampered my offensive game. But ironically, didn't really cut the mistakes down that much either. But when not worrying about mistakes I could make plays to offset the mistakes.

Brind'Amour has said that this is also true at the highest level of hockey. If the coach hammers the kids for mistakes, it will inhibit their creativity and lower their upside, yet ironically not really eliminate the mistakes. But if he lets them play and then points out the mistakes on video later, they can learn off the ice, but still feel confident on the ice. Seems right to me.

49 minutes ago, cc said:

I was speaking specifically about the slow start for the 1st half of the 1st period. Just offering an opinion.  That being said, When you can hear the sound of the opposing fans in the TV feed that speaks volumes.(Zoo calls)  I have been to a couple of games over the last couple years and understand how it is when Rangers fans are there.  As far as attendance I saw this in the camera feed and via comments on this thread.        "Sounds like plenty of Rangers fans. A lot groaners when the Rangers didn’t get a call.  Also the lack of showing the crowd by the camera says it musnt be very good."   

We have this discussion every October/November about low Sunday attendance. It has nothing to do with lack of interest, and the presence of loudmouth crybabies Rags fans yesterday was no different from any other Rags game. These transplants (who have no football team worth cheering for, it's important [and even better, snarky!] to note) drag their mothball-stenched Messier jerseys out of the closet and play Hockey Fan every time the Rags come to town, apparently (if their behavior is any indication) to maintain their reputation for boundless asshattery. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

We have this discussion every October/November about low Sunday attendance. It has nothing to do with lack of interest, and the presence of loudmouth crybabies Rags/Isles/Pens/Craps/Flyers fans yesterday was no different from any other Rags game. These transplants (who have no football team worth cheering for, it's important [and even better, snarky!] to note) drag their mothball-stenched Messier jerseys out of the closet and play Hockey Fan every time the Rags/Isles/Pens/Craps/Flyers come to town, apparently (if their behavior is any indication) to maintain their reputation for boundless asshattery. 

FIFY

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cc said:

The crowd was better in person it sounds like than what you saw on TV. Was a pretty lively game. Even the NY fans were not as bad as in years past.. maybe the 0-2 record coming in was part of that.

3 hours ago, cc said:

So you are basically saying that the crowd cannot and did not impact the players performance on the ice.   

I am not saying they(players) should use this as an excuse for poor play.(you added that).  Thank you for the comedic interpretation.

I don't think any player saw the atmosphere as depressing. Their final expression after the game poo poo's that idea. I prefer to believe RB's belief that the Rangers were set to go after playing the night before and that we were a little sluggish due to a day off. He also stated that we should be more dominant in the third due to the Rangers legs tiring which is exactly what happened. A full house can be an electrifying atmosphere and help with the mojo but to say a smaller crowd impacts their performance, I say no. I was at a game many years ago during a snow storm and there was only a few thousand at the game. The team was motivated to play as professionals should be.

4 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

A full house can be an electrifying atmosphere and help with the mojo but to say a smaller crowd impacts their performance, I say no.

Ok I get it,  Big crowd  Good.  Small crowd with alot of opposing teams fans. no impact.

11 minutes ago, cc said:

Ok I get it,  Big crowd  Good.  Small crowd with alot of opposing teams fans. no impact.

Yeah, it was all doom and gloom yesterday, Official attendance 13,526 not to shabby for a Sunday. I was there and there were not 13,525 Ranger fans in Attendance. Yesterdays fan base had zero correlation to the Canes's 1st period of play.  I enjoyed opening night and yesterday in the PNC  Opening night was just about a packed house with limited Isles fans. I guess if we ousted those few Isles fans we would of brought home the win in OT.

• Like 2