The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
super_dave_1

GDT Canucks at Canes 10/9

Straight from the Hockey Treehouse

treehouse.thumb.jpg.47ec1a686ac4796578b12368397cd89d.jpg

SuperDave doesn't have fat stacks like Coastal, so I can't afford a hockey shack.  I got busy and built a super neeto treehouse instead.  Also, no room for Hag's recliners, and I don't think it's load rated for the Big Guy.  Legend will probably have to leave his goalie gear on the ground. We'll still be sponsored by Hargrave's Potted Meat Products, made with peckers and lips since 1937.  I've also grabbed a new sponsor for the season.  Please welcome, Sea Bass Ale...the only beer with the slight taste of fish.

1719691476_2011-05-06CigarCitySeaBass.thumb.jpg.574de3732741f9e3471ab87eab644618.jpg

With the background info all taken care of, ladies and gentlemen, may I present

canucks.jpg.0cced20161e0c40ff2aa75a9e7360e36.jpg   VS  canes.jpg.835e07e9f096a5396d6dd378172a2a2b.jpg

Wow, this is weird.  We aren't complaining.  Brindy has the boys scoring and having fun.  Scoring is coming from unforeseen sources.  The team in general has seemed to find some guts and start sticking up for each other a bit.  They are hitting.  Three short games into the season, and things are looking a lot better for the Canes.  I'm not going to bore anyone with lines and such.  That info is easy to find, and will come out in the morning.

I'm assuming McBackup goes tomorrow.  Another outing like his first one would sure create even more goalie (I don't think controversy is the right word here)...intrigue.  A goalie controversy would be who is the starter and who is the backup.  When Darling gets healthy, it may be Rock, Paper, Scissors to see who gets to ride the bus in Charlotte.  

Canes still have $40 lower level seats for this one

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

1719691476_2011-05-06CigarCitySeaBass.thumb.jpg.574de3732741f9e3471ab87eab644618.jpg

I was bummed to see this beer retired as I was going to give it a shot.

BEER INFO 

Brewed by: 
Cigar City Brewing 
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com 

Style: Belgian Saison 

Alcohol by volume (ABV): 8.00% 

Availability: Limited (brewed once) 

Notes / Commercial Description: 
According to the head brewer, this a "dark farmhouse ale".

Added by aepb1 on 09-29-2010

This beer is retired; no longer brewed.

• Like 1

Thanks for the GDT (reminder must sign up for one or two !)

Few observations from afar ....

The fan "thing". My proudest moment of being a canes fan was surprisingly not when we won it or in the playoffs but when we were dead last  in the entire NHL and had 17000 in the building - it was January 2011 maybe? and I cant recall who we were playing but I was bursting with pride. Subsequent years didn't just kill off the occasional fan but it killed off some of our core (including me) who couldn't handle the real pain of loss after loss. How bad could it get? Atlanta Thrashers - thats how bad it might have gotten.... The crowd are there to be had and not just for the wins - just a chance to enjoy season long hockey again.

Conor (my NHL Stat mad son) and I spent days talking about how good we might be, strengths and weaknesses how we might play .. and came to the conclusion we might be good. This worried me right away and through preseason I had to stamp on that optimism ... but we look ... well ... good. And learning as we go. If any team will improve as the season goes on its us .....and well ... we look seriously kind of good. After 3 its ok to look back on some preseason games and say there were signs there we could live with top talent ....

I love the new celebration and the number of earlier games than midnight here .... (though hate NHL.tv crap)

and bring back Z ... he's my ringer for this year.... he only does one thing really well, stand in the crease and score. Not a bad trait  .... but look for other skills and many others are better ... he just has that knack .... but nice to have him on speed dial.

Oh ... and this is fun ..!

SP

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sipower said:

Thanks for the GDT (reminder must sign up for one or two !)

Few observations from afar ....

The fan "thing". My proudest moment of being a canes fan was surprisingly not when we won it or in the playoffs but when we were dead last  in the entire NHL and had 17000 in the building - it was January 2011 maybe? and I cant recall who we were playing but I was bursting with pride. Subsequent years didn't just kill off the occasional fan but it killed off some of our core (including me) who couldn't handle the real pain of loss after loss. How bad could it get? Atlanta Thrashers - thats how bad it might have gotten.... The crowd are there to be had and not just for the wins - just a chance to enjoy season long hockey again.

Conor (my NHL Stat mad son) and I spent days talking about how good we might be, strengths and weaknesses how we might play .. and came to the conclusion we might be good. This worried me right away and through preseason I had to stamp on that optimism ... but we look ... well ... good. And learning as we go. If any team will improve as the season goes on its us .....and well ... we look seriously kind of good. After 3 its ok to look back on some preseason games and say there were signs there we could live with top talent ....

I love the new celebration and the number of earlier games than midnight here .... (though hate NHL.tv crap)

and bring back Z ... he's my ringer for this year.... he only does one thing really well, stand in the crease and score. Not a bad trait  .... but look for other skills and many others are better ... he just has that knack .... but nice to have him on speed dial.

Oh ... and this is fun ..!

SP

Welcome back to you and hopefully many others in the same boat.

Fun hockey is funner.

Based on lines in the morning skate, here is the projected lineup for the Hurricanes.

Forwards

Foegele-Staal-Williams
Ferland-Aho-Teravainen
McGinn-Necas-Di Giuseppe
Martinook-Wallmark-Svechnikov

Defense

Slavin-Hamilton
Fleury-Pesce
de Haan-Faulk

Goalies

McElhinney

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Please be good two games in a row, pleassseeeeeeeeeee

...and if you can't be good, be entertaining.  I'm not so sure Sunday was good, but it sure was fun.

• Like 2

Cory Lavalette said the same about the Fleury & McE.  I like Brindy’s decision making so far. He is seeing the struggles and willing to make changes. Something we haven’t always had. To be fair we haven’t always had this depth either.

• Like 1

If he wants to make 6 unneccessary split saves ....that are saves....i'll allow it

4 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

...and if you can't be good, be entertaining.  I'm not so sure Sunday was good, but it sure was fun.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Based on lines in the morning skate, here is the projected lineup for the Hurricanes.

Forwards

Foegele-Staal-Williams
Ferland-Aho-Teravainen
McGinn-Necas-Di Giuseppe
Martinook-Wallmark-Svechnikov

Defense

Slavin-Hamilton
Fleury-Pesce
de Haan-Faulk

Goalies

McElhinney

Based on shifts and TOI, it may be that Martinook-Wallmark-Svechnikov is our 3rd line rather than 4th.

10 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

Based on shifts and TOI, it may be that Martinook-Wallmark-Svechnikov is our 3rd line rather than 4th.

Yea we really need more talent on the Necas line.

• Like 2

Very winnable game and one we should indeed be able to do so. We should always be aware of Baertschi, Boeser, Horvat but this isn’t the same Nasty Nucks of years past. Stay humble, stay hungry!