The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

I wonder if a move with Vegas in the off-season could be feasible?

They have about 10 million in cap space and need to re-sign Subban, Karlsson and need a RHD.  

We could take both off their hands for a RHD and a roster bottom 6 forward.  

That is all I got cuz we are let to think about the future.  

15 minutes ago, rocheccw said:

Didn't Francis say this last year right before he was promoted? I mean fired...

Yeah but RF didn't have the Nino you get a pass on this one card in his pocket

22 minutes ago, rocheccw said:

Well at least we got to keep Ferland...otherwise we got PU! Well Jurco...

Can't believe we didn't give up a single draft pick for an NHL player...better hope the Pens or MTL fall apart. CBJ are probably not catchable now that they are all In.

Yeah that's how team sports win, you just throw guys together

Well guys, March 15th will be the day that the proof will be in the pudding, and as The Great Thinker, Forrest Gump would say, "And that's all I got to say about that".

I had a Feeling the canes were not going to make any big  moves ,  Given  of who  was up for grabs as a rental  this year   you could say the canes did their big moves during the offseason  last year  .  and to get Nino from the wild for rask  was just amazing  ,  and the fact  we  got McElhinney for  nothing ?  that is a steal if there ever was one !

I guess we could look at J Staal as our deadline acquisition.  I mean we have the best record since new years and now we have added J Staal to the line up. Right?! Columbus better hope all their additions gel together and have some chemistry.  At least we got that going for us.  

• Like 3

I wonder how much no-trade clauses figured into us missing out on Stone and a few other elite players (assuming we tried to get them). One big problem we've faced over the years is the hesitancy of elite players to come to Carolina because we are a small market, we had losing teams since 2009, etc. I worry that NTCs also may thwart our ability to get an elite player(s) in a hockey trade after the season ends. 

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Svech’s best friend from Vancouver just  went to the Evil Empire?  Sweet!

2 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Svech’s best friend from Vancouver just  went to the Evil Empire?  Sweet!

And JR is being roasted as well as his sanity questioned by Pens' fans?? Gudbranson REALLY?

• Like 2

Just now, KJUNKANE said:

And JR is being roasted as well as his sanity questioned by Pens' fans?? Gudbranson REALLY?

Couldn't happen to a nicer fellow:sarcasm:

• Like 4

It is difficult to see the rich get richer.  However it is nice to see them mortgage their futures for a not-so-secure present.   When I look at the entirety of our in-season acquisitions.  We got McElhinney for nothing.  And we got Nino for 4M bag of pucks.  While it was not deadline splashy, we are playing well and we have a playoff team.  Are we going to win it all?  probably not.  But if we play like we have been playing, we are going to make the playoffs. 

I also think we are going to get help from within.  Svech has been really close to making things happen for us.  I could see him scoring a lot of goals in a hurry with the way he shoots the puck...  I guess we will see.  Stone or Hoffman would have been nice, but alas it did not happen.   

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ironman87 said:

It is difficult to see the rich get richer.  However it is nice to see them mortgage their futures for a not-so-secure present.   When I look at the entirety of our in-season acquisitions.  We got McElhinney for nothing.  And we got Nino for 4M bag of pucks.  While it was not deadline splashy, we are playing well and we have a playoff team.  Are we going to win it all?  probably not.  But if we play like we have been playing, we are going to make the playoffs. 

I also think we are going to get help from within.  Svech has been really close to making things happen for us.  I could see him scoring a lot of goals in a hurry with the way he shoots the puck...  I guess we will see.  Stone or Hoffman would have been nice, but alas it did not happen.   

There's still the offseason.  I know our main priorities would be signing Aho, trying to retain Ferland and get a top tier goalie on the market but why mess with anything right now if it's working.  This team is playing like dynamite and have already proven they can beat anybody on any given night. See Dallas, Pittsburgh, Nashville, Vegas.  I would like our recent success on the road carry over to our play at home.  Even though our home record is slightly better we have been playing better on the road of late than at home.  I'd like to see that spill over to our home play because we have a big five game home stand coming up against some top tier teams in mid March.  I wouldn't mind a 4-1 record during that home stand (same record we had on a 5 game road trip; franchise best).

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

1 hour ago, spyglass88 said:

I wonder how much no-trade clauses figured into us missing out on Stone and a few other elite players (assuming we tried to get them). One big problem we've faced over the years is the hesitancy of elite players to come to Carolina because we are a small market, we had losing teams since 2009, etc. I worry that NTCs also may thwart our ability to get an elite player(s) in a hockey trade after the season ends. 

Those  no trade clauses  were  the work of Rutherford and Francis .  They hand them out when there was no need to  just to hand them out to anyone .  It explains why the canes  lost so much ground  after winning the cup  .  Nearly  everyone from that team  were ufa's  that  the canes lost out on  getting back  in return  for anything  , It hurt the team then and still  lingers to this day . 

If the Committee and HCRB do nothing more this season than roll back the culture of mediocrity we've languished in since 2009, it will be a successful one. Signing de Hann, drafting Svech, making JWilly captain, the Calgary trade, signing Mrazek and grabbing McElhinney off waivers, and the Nino trade—all superb moves. The chemistry we've seen since the first of January seems to have staying power. Even moving Skinner arguably has contributed to building a different culture (even though we screwed up by not getting more of a return). 

Let's make the playoffs, trade D for O during the offseason, sign Aho, Ferland, and JWilly, and either sign McE and/or Mrazek for next year or get a top goalie on the FA market and next year will be even better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Yeah but RF didn't have the Nino you get a pass on this one card in his pocket

This.  No moves at the deadline is definitely reminiscent of last year, but RF went what, 3 seasons without making a single player-for-player trade?  It's well-documented how i feel about the Skinner deal and perhaps the Lindholm deal can be debated as well, but they're both more than RF ever managed, and i think to a person every Canes fan will say Waddell struck gold trading Rask for Nino.  And as stated, we didn't 'limp to the deadline' - this team has been one of the hottest teams in the league for a couple months now and they keep it up, nobody's going to be lamenting Waddell not trading X for Y at the deadline.  Let's do this...

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Those  no trade clauses  were  the work of Rutherford and Francis .  They hand them out when there was no need to  just to hand them out to anyone .  It explains why the canes  lost so much ground  after winning the cup  .  Nearly  everyone from that team  were ufa's  that  the canes lost out on  getting back  in return  for anything  , It hurt the team then and still  lingers to this day . 

I actually was thinking about the NTCs for players on other teams we might like to acquire. But I agree that the NTCs that JR and RF handed out didn't really help the team in the long run.

Edited by spyglass88

42 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

All things considered, this was a great trade deadline day.  We are going for it!

I am glad it made you happy.  Now my life is complete.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

I was going to answer you like spyglass eventually did and I'm glad he clarified before I read thru the remainder of the texts. He obviously was referring to NTCs for players we were trying to get, not on ours as those would not have affected us trying to get a new player in? Yeah, there are still 2 or 3 remnants of foolish NTCs those 2 handed out, which do hobble us to some degree, but not in this situation cff. And with our Cap hit so low, probably none at all? 

Edited by KJUNKANE

9 hours ago, OBXer said:

Columbus has been busy, busy, busy

So Devils got a fifth round pick in 2022 for Kincaid. Apparently, Columbus made so many trades their bag of pucks had already been taken.

2 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

As far as I know, Whitney was the only player from the 2006 team that refused to waive a NTC for a trade at the deadline, and that was probably in 2008, and was for family reasons. RB retired here, Stillman and Commodore were traded to Ottawa, Recchi was a UFA, as was Weight, who signed with St. Louis, from whom we acquired him in the first place. Whitney might have brought back a first rounder, but I don’t think it imploded the team for 9 years. 

Oh, and Francis had nothing to do with the front office in 2006. Don’t think he had even started working for the organization. Blame JR for a lot, but he absolutely orchestrated putting together the team that won the Cup after the 2005 lockout.

And E Staal signed an extension with the Wild, 2 years at $3.25 per. Wonder if he would have stayed here if we offered him $16 million for 5 years, which is what the Wild are paying. I know most here are glad he moved on. Wonder how Jordan feels about being locked down in Carolina for so long after Eric left. Maybe he likes it here - I think Eric did for most of the time here, but I’m sure he doesn’t like no playoffs (yet) for so many years after leaving Pittsburgh.