The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

19 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

And E Staal signed an extension with the Wild, 2 years at $3.25 per. Wonder if he would have stayed here if we offered him $16 million for 5 years, which is what the Wild are paying. I know most here are glad he moved on. Wonder how Jordan feels about being locked down in Carolina for so long after Eric left. Maybe he likes it here - I think Eric did for most of the time here, but I’m sure he doesn’t like no playoffs (yet) for so many years after leaving Pittsburgh.

At some point in the future when the canes find themselves a better center  for a top 6 position    Jordan will have to play bottom 6  eventually so it's only a matter of time .   but  until that day comes  im sure Staal is  going to enjoy playing for the canes  .    I wonder  about Jack Drury's  development   because if he turns out to be better than his cousin  chris   then  He might   play 2nd center in the future !

Don't forget about Martin Necas. It may take a little time for him to mature physically, and to adapt to the North American game; but he is certainly projected as a 2C. When that happens, Jordan will slot as a 3C, which is a more natural fit for him and where he excelled in Pittsburgh.

6 minutes ago, AssistantGM said:

Don't forget about Martin Necas. It may take a little time for him to mature physically, and to adapt to the North American game; but he is certainly projected as a 2C. When that happens, Jordan will slot as a 3C, which is a more natural fit for him and where he excelled in Pittsburgh.

Necas  is  getting a ton of help from the checkers coach .   but im not so sure about him   yet  in the future .    maybe after he gained from leg strength   and gets better on his edges and  stronger on the puck  we can all see   where he will stand out  but my hopes are more on Drury  !

This offseason will be the barometer for the management. 

The RHD defender for a forward option will be there with a swap with TB with Miller or Toronto for which ever forward.

Sign Fox

Goalies? Buying out Darling, keeping M&M, maybe going to go get a Subban or sign a UFA?

6 hours ago, caneswincup said:

Sharks get richer by adding Nyquist for the stretch run.

Nyquist is a guy I thought we might have gone after....oh well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

At some point in the future when the canes find themselves a better center  for a top 6 position    Jordan will have to play bottom 6  eventually so it's only a matter of time .   but  until that day comes  im sure Staal is  going to enjoy playing for the canes  .    I wonder  about Jack Drury's  development   because if he turns out to be better than his cousin  chris   then  He might   play 2nd center in the future !

My main point was that Eric almost certainly could have stayed in Carolina if he’d have taken $16 million for 5 years, which, with his extension, is what he’s getting in Minnesota. Jordan came here for 2 reasons: to play with Eric and to move into a top 6 role because he would never have been more than a 3C in Pittsburgh. Though he showed flashes of offensive upside in Pittsburgh, I agree he is best suited for the 3C role, and will end up there with the Canes if he is not traded. And Eric is gone, plus he’s been out of the playoffs since he’s been here, while Pittsburgh won 2 more Cups. He’s being well compensated to play here, and Rod clearly thinks highly of him (maybe more so than he did of Eric), but I just wonder if he has regrets. I think he is a real pro, and any regret does not show up in his play though.

10 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

I agree he is best suited for the 3C role, and will end up there with the Canes if he is not traded. 

Disagree. I think he's going become the 6 Million Dollar Man(ny. As in Malhotra).

I know a lot of people worry about how much centers are paid in relation to their place on the depth chart. I'm not one of those people, especially in Jordan's case. When you look at the total payroll for the position in question, we have gotten by extremely cheaply at C ever since Eric left--and never more than this year:

Aho: $925k (final year of ELC)

Wallmark: $625k (another year left at that rate)

Martinook: $1.8 million (becomes $2 million next year)

McKegg: $715k (UFA next year) 

Staal: $6 million

That's a total payroll at C of just over $10 million--less than what Toronto, Chicago, and Edmonton are paying for ONE GUY (and what TOR will be paying TWO, if Matthews is still there next year), and equal to what LA and Buffalo pay one guy at that position.

Yes, the picture changes next year, when Aho gets his deal. But not much. Wallmark: No raise yet. Marty: Locked in. McKegg: Give him the same deal as Marty and he's probably happier than Derek Ryan when his caller ID came up "Bill Peters" in Sweden a few years back.

At these prices, even with the Aho signing, we can afford a 6 Million Dollar Manny--and have pretty incredible - and affordable - depth at center, for the foreseeable future.

Edited by top-shelf-1
typo

Trade definitions

All in, Columbus Blue Jackets

Tank, Ottawa Senators

Stand Pat, Carolina Hurricanes

An interesting project for someone who has time, which I currently don't, would be to figure in our remaining 20 games, which teams we play that improved, ON PAPER, their team strength with a TD pickup, and which appear to have lost someone, thus worse? Glancing over the remaining schedule, I would quickly say that CBJ went all in, Tampa and St Louis probably didn't need to, Toronto status quo, Boston and Nashville +/-, Washington nah, and Pitt meh. Oh and Colorado IDK, That leaves 9 that I think either didn't improve or went down? Of course that is all just to my mind alone. Anyone see any different? 

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Trade definitions

All in, Columbus Blue Jackets

Tank, Ottawa Senators

Stand Pat, Carolina Hurricanes

Now, we just have to see how Columbus plays the rest of the season with all their pieces in place and if they would resign any of those players next year.  Duchene said he does not know yet what his future is going to be with the team (if he'll resign or not).  Panarin said he is not resigning and who knows what will happen with Bobrovsky so it appears Columbus's future is cloudy. This is why I'm glad Carolina didn't trade anyone for a great player whom is a UFA next season because that player may not resign with the team no matter the success.  I know the happiest player on the Canes right now is Micheal Ferland.  He was trade bait for a lot of teams and Waddell told the management from other teams how important Ferland was to this team and no deal made sense.  He said he will talk with Ferland and his agent for an extension after the season is over (same approach as with Aho I would imagine).  Ferland said he wants to stay here and now he does not have to worry about being dealt during the season.  He can focus on helping this team win games and contributing on the ice. 

Maybe with management saying we're happy with this team that will give the team more motivation to play even better than they're playing now to end a 10 year playoff drought.  If the season ended today they're in but it's not over yet.  One game at a time, one day at a time.  Lets finish our historic February with a win tonight (I know it's the Kings but they played TB well yesterday and got a point; either that or TB stunk that game; I went to bed after the first period) when it was 2-0 TB and the Kings beat us in LA in December and then take care of business in March and the few games in April.  The Kings have lost 8 straight so you know they'll be hungry for a win.  I just hope it happens AFTER tonight.

The winners of the deadline were Vegas.  They got Mark Stone, not only that they signed him to an 8 year extension so he's a Vegas Golden Knight for at least the next eight years (he's not a rental anymore).  That's good for their fans.  They'll be fun to watch the rest of the season.  I was actually rooting for them in the playoffs last year and was hoping they'd win the cup.  My main team was Nashville but when they got eliminated by Winnipeg I went for Vegas.  They're not as good this year (points wise) but they got better for the playoff run.

Here's to a successful remaining 20 games.  I'd like a record of 14-5-1.  I don't know if that is attainable with the schedule we have but with the way we've been playing that was our previous record for 20 games when the streak started, which is now 18-6-1 in 25 games. (11-4-1) since the Nino trade and our offense has gotten better.  56 goals since the trade, which is 2nd in the league (probably behind TB).  That should get better with Jordan back in the lineup.  Adding Jordan also gives us more toughness back in the lineup too.

I just hope Mrazek and McElhinney keep playing well because we would not be where we are right now without them.  I know it's a team game but it starts with your goalies and they've played well during this streak.  McElhinney even said this is the best run he's been on personally.

Personally, and I don't know how you fans feel but I'm glad Cam Ward is not a Hurricane anymore.  The games I watched the last few years he just did not seem to be as good as he has been in the past; I could tell his best years were behind him and he seemed to not do too well in the shootout.  Either that or the team in front of him was not that good. 

I'm happier now with Mrazek and McElhinney in the net and the saves they've made during this streak (especially Mrazek) and this year have caused my jaw to drop numerous times.

I know it wasn't during the streak but the save of the year was the 2-0 save Mrazek made vs Winnipeg with Ehlers and Laine.  Darling (in Charlotte now) made a couple dandies in OT vs Detroit in Carolina, which we lost in a shootout. 

The Biggest difference  this year and previous years  is who our coach is , Rod Brind'Amour continues  to impress me    each month  for his rookie year as our coach .   Being an  assistant coach is not quite the same as   being a head coach .  And  i can honestly say that the biggest difference is sole on him .    Dundon needs to pay up  !  

2 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

The Biggest difference  this year and previous years  is who our coach is , Rod Brind'Amour continues  to impress me    each month  for his rookie year as our coach .   Being an  assistant coach is not quite the same as   being a head coach .  And  i can honestly say that the biggest difference is sole on him .    Dundon needs to pay up  !  

It also shows on during the timeouts; when he gets fired up it fires the team up.  It's nice when you have a head coach your players respect and I think that's what been missing in previous years.  Bill Peters was not like that nor was Kurt Muller.  Something about Brindamour brings out a LOT of respect for him from the players.

• Like 1

rem, have you renamed yourself Sportsfan 1-2? I joke, but Sf 1-2, if you've followed this board, you know rem (mon ami) gets criticized all the time for "wordiness", but you (and he) please continue.

6 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

rem, have you renamed yourself Sportsfan 1-2? I joke, but Sf 1-2, if you've followed this board, you know rem (mon ami) gets criticized all the time for "wordiness", but you (and he) please continue.

Sometimes you got be detailed to get your point across.😊 No wordiness there.😉

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

Speaking of Brindy Tripp and John said it best the game against the Panthers when the team was down. The man just doesnt go off on the players so when he does they listen and know its genuine. They respect him as much as anyone other then their own parents. 

• Like 2

Supposedly a couple of the name were involved in were Dzingel and Zucker.  

The Zucker one the deal for picks that DW mentioned?

Surprising that we were in on Dzingel but maybe trying to keep him from Columbus.

On 2/25/2019 at 3:19 PM, PenaltyKiller17 said:

I’m going to laugh so hard if they end up missing the playoffs.  Columbus doesn’t have an easy schedule ahead of them, and I question if they made too many moves to mess up their chemistry.

Bunch of Jerks with chemistry 1 - All in New CBJ Team 0 :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Supposedly a couple of the name were involved in were Dzingel and Zucker.  

The Zucker one the deal for picks that DW mentioned?

Surprising that we were in on Dzingel but maybe trying to keep him from Columbus.

I think Wild will never ever trade with us after Nino trade.

3 hours ago, Bonivan said:

I think Wild will never ever trade with us after Nino trade.

Yea, its like they traded us a dollar for a dime because they like the color silver.  When I saw the headline for the trade, I did a triple-take to make sure it wasn't from the Onion or Babylon Bee...

On 2/26/2019 at 11:09 AM, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

It also shows on during the timeouts; when he gets fired up it fires the team up.  It's nice when you have a head coach your players respect and I think that's what been missing in previous years.  Bill Peters was not like that nor was Kurt Muller.  Something about Brindamour brings out a LOT of respect for him from the players.

Rod doesn’t visibly lose it often, so when he does, the team responds. Many guys on the Cup team said he was the best leader as a Captain they had played with. When I saw him turn red yelling at the players after they blew the 2-0 lead against Florida, it reminded me of Lavi. Many times Lavi called early timeouts, and from my perch in the upper deck, I could visibly see him turn beet red as he delivered his message at full volume. I thought his willingness to call an early timeout was one of Lavi’s strengths. Now coaches are reluctant to do it because it takes away their ability to challenge anything for the remainder of the game. I give Rod full credit for what this team accomplished so far this year. Early on, I wasn’t so sure. But I think Peters has now proven he can coach, when he has elite personnel. Take away Mrazek and McE, and replace them with Darling and Cam, and this season would look very different. I do think Peters could have been successful here if he had decent goaltending. I loved Cam but we rode him way too hard for too long, and in his last 3 years, Peters had the diminished Cam plus Darling and Lack. The latter two are in the A now, and Darling can’t even stick there.

I was pleased that the Canes effectively made no changes at the deadline.  They have many player moves t consider in the offseason, including contracts for:

a) Aho

b) Mrazek

c) Ferland

d) Williams

e) McE

f) Fox

Obviously signing Aho long term is priority #1.  Goaltending (save one debacle against Winnipeg) has been a primary reason for the team's rejuvenation, so signing Mrazek and cutting ties with Darling should be priority #2.  A short term deal with Williams should be made.  After that I hope they sign Fox.  While I like Ferland, I hope they do not go overboard in any offer.  If they sign Fox, they can still try and move Hamilton in exchange for a power forward similar to Ferland.  In fact, I hope they sign Fox and try to play him right away in lieu of TVR.

Lots of decisions, but it should work out. 

2 minutes ago, beboplar said:

I was pleased that the Canes effectively made no changes at the deadline.  They have many player moves t consider in the offseason, including contracts for:

a) Aho

b) Mrazek

c) Ferland

d) Williams

e) McE

f) Fox

Obviously signing Aho long term is priority #1.  Goaltending (save one debacle against Winnipeg) has been a primary reason for the team's rejuvenation, so signing Mrazek and cutting ties with Darling should be priority #2.  A short term deal with Williams should be made.  After that I hope they sign Fox.  While I like Ferland, I hope they do not go overboard in any offer.  If they sign Fox, they can still try and move Hamilton in exchange for a power forward similar to Ferland.  In fact, I hope they sign Fox and try to play him right away in lieu of TVR.

Lots of decisions, but it should work out. 

1. I’d move Faulk before Dougie.

2. Pete and Mac should get 2 year contracts max...Mac is getting up there in age and I want to make sure this year wasn’t an aberration for Pete.

3. Ask J Willy if he would sign another 2 year deal

4. No more than $5.5M for Ferland

5. Give Aho whatever he wants 

6. Send Mongo packing with some parting gifts

• Like 2