The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

8 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

Badger and Awacs don't want to insult any of you but doesn't it sound very similar to slavery? Just replace "team" with "master" and "drafted" with "bought". Teams can trade or buyout players at any time that's why players can ask for NTC/NMC or not sign at all. I don't like that decision by Fox (and maybe Calgary had an idea that he will not sign with them and neither with us) but it is what it is and it is not against existing rules. BTW can Canes still sign him at any moment before his college year starts? Maybe run in playoffs and couple of D for O trades will help to change his mind.

No! No it doesn’t.  Nothing in sports is relatable to slavery. 

6 hours ago, remkin said:

If that happens, and Ferland walks as expected, we will have traded two #5 overall picks in Hanifin and Lindholm for Dougie. 

Yes and no.  We will have traded one year of Lindholm and Hanifin for one year of Ferland and 3 years of Hamilton.  Lindholm and Hanifin weren't re-signing here anyway, so we got 4 years for 2.  I'll still take it, Fox or no Fox.

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

Yes and no.  We will have traded one year of Lindholm and Hanifin for one year of Ferland and 3 years of Hamilton.  Lindholm and Hanifin weren't re-signing here anyway, so we got 4 years for 2.  I'll still take it, Fox or no Fox.

They weren't re-signing because we didn't want to pay them. At least in part. I tend to think they were on the list of names the committee wanted out of here beyond just money. But they were RFA's and we could have signed them.

The way Dougie is playing lately maybe he is better than both of them, and we did get a year of Ferland, who could still put his stamp on this year, but Waddell's 99% percent on signing Fox sure made it seem that he was part of the deal. And he looks to be a very special talent. 

• Like 1

The way he’s been playing when no longer paired with Aho or Turbo, I’m back on the fence as to whether or not we even pursue an extension of Ferland.  And if we do, definitely no more than 4 mil per

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

The way he’s been playing when no longer paired with Aho or Turbo, I’m back on the fence as to whether or not we even pursue an extension of Ferland.  And if we do, definitely no more than 4 mil per

Exactly my thoughts.  Ferland is a top line scorer up until the all-star break.  He then is a third line player.  

4 million per at 5 years is the max.  I would rather do 4 years.  

As far as the trade goes, we weren’t paying Hanifin and Lindy 5 million per, they hadn’t earned it.  Both were not solid defensively and the management group purged the team of most of its negative +/- players.  The only two kept in the top 10 were Faulk and McGinn. I have an odd feeling Faulk was heavily shopped.  In result we are much more solid defensive team this season. Our goal differential this season is +16, last season it was -28.  We have scored 2 less goals than last season as well (6 games remaining).  Im good with the trade and Lindholm returns to earth next season when he has a reasonable shot % (over 15 right now).

• Like 1

We got the best player in the deal, based on what I've seen out of Dougie this year.  The trade has not turned out perfectly for us, but that alone is enough to not lose any sleep over this one.

11 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

That is a realistic way to look at it.  The Canes were not planning on ponying up the money for Lindholm, and Hanifan was collateral damage.  The Canes did indeed trade 2 seasons under control for 4 seasons under control plus the chance to sign Fox.  If Ferland walks and Fox does not sign, there is still salary space created by the difference in not signing Lindy and Hanifan plus seeing Ferland walk, to hopefully sign a front line forward.  I still have my fingers crossed that the Canes sign Fox.

• Like 1

I have yet to see anyone's vetting of the source of this Fox rumor, and until I do, I'll withhold my angst. Should Fox decide to stay for his Sr year, despite the pundits conclusion that because "he has nothing more to prove at the college level", I'm just not sure that his decision portends his intention to put himself on the open market, thus not sign here?None of us knows his motive in this, and it may be spurred by his loyalty to his school and/or teammates, or it could be for a girlfriend? And even if his present mindset is to not sign here, that also could change as he gets more clarity as to his anticipated role in our defensive corps? 

As to Waddell's proclamation of his being 99 or whatever percent sure of signing this player, that too could also be posturing? So, all in all, we'll know in due time. 

So there is no official decision yet. All hope is not lost on this guy. I guess this is why there is not much real news on this. I'm guessing that there is some fire behind the smoke that he is planning on staying, but it's not fully over. Also, I note he says no "official" decision yet.

If he wants to play in the NHL next season, but not in Carolina, we can still trade his rights. If he'd agree to a sign and trade, I'd think we could get at least something for him. 

Hopefully we still work it out.

I just talked to Adam Fox (@foxyclean) of Harvard about some things...#CawlidgeHawkey

• Like 5

On 3/27/2019 at 12:18 AM, AWACSooner said:

I think I saw Ferland's picture on a milk carton. He sure benefited from playing with top line players, and he sure isn't making the third line players play better. I'd let him walk, and see what third liners are around in the off season. He started off the season well, but has fallen off the earth in the second half.

5 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I think I saw Ferland's picture on a milk carton. He sure benefited from playing with top line players, and he sure isn't making the third line players play better. I'd let him walk, and see what third liners are around in the off season. He started off the season well, but has fallen off the earth in the second half.

Ferland's still a Cane?  I thought we traded him for Nino.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Ferland's still a Cane?  I thought we traded him for Nino.

Can he be a player to be named later?

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Harvard lost, Fox watch has begun.

There's time for him to catch the last 6 regular season games with the Chex before a Calder Cup run.  That's the route Werenski took after he left college (except Lake Erie instead of the Chex :P).

Edited by LakeLivin

5 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

There's time for him to catch the last 6 regular season games with the Chex before a Calder Cup run.  That's the route Werenski took after he left college.

We shall see.

15 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Harvard lost, Fox watch has begun.

:nailbite:I know everyone doesn't share my concern, but I really want this guy on board even if we trade him after all. (I'd rather see him in the sightless eye though). But just losing him makes no sense. 

If we trade his rights but he returns to Harvard, we won't get much back. 

I think it's possible he put his feeler out there about returning to Harvard because we have a log jam and he wants to be in the NHL. We can't unjam that until the offseason. Does he have to declare before then to play in college? Even if so, we could trade his rights to a team with a clear path opening and ought to get a decent return I would think. Then he could be in the NHL with someone else (bummer) but we get some return. 

All of Canes prospects, not in Charlotte, have been eliminated from postseason play.

We will await the decisions on:

LW Filipe (doubtful he is signed)

RHD Martin (unsure)

LHD De Jong (unsure)

RHD Fox (will he)

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

How is that guy still around?

Yeah, Ek is about as big a joke as Don Cherry? In fact, Ek may be Cherry's pseudonym? 

19 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

To add insult to injury for tonight, Ek has put up his spiel on Fox

So you're saying that despite reports to the contrary, we still have a good chance of signing Fox? :P

13 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

So you're saying that despite reports to the contrary, we still have a good chance of signing Fox? :P

Not at all, just that it's Ek so make of it what you will? And further that Legend is reporting that Pierre LeBraun now reporting he will not sign. Good for him and further cause to hate the Rangers. Mirror image of the Yankees of old who could "buy anyone". 

13 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Edited by KJUNKANE
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

39 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Not at all, just that it's Ek so make of it what you will? And further that Legend is reporting that Pierre LeBraun now reporting he will not sign. Good for him and further cause to hate the Rangers. Mirror image of the Yankees of old who could "buy anyone".

I was being facetious. I know he's going back to school, just making fun of the fact that Eck is wrong so often that him reporting it actually gives us hope instead of the opposite.   :P is what I use for a "tongue in cheek" emojii.

Edited by LakeLivin

Looking at the other side of AWAC's pointing out that Rask scored the 3rd of the season last night, the numbers are very clear on Nino. The overwhelming evidence is that this year in Minnesota was the outlier, and he just needed a change of scenery. His last full season he scored 25 goals and 57 points. The next season had some injuries but projected to similar numbers, and his time with the Canes projects to 32 goals and 67 points over a full season.

That projection of his Canes time might be a bit rich, but Nino is a steady 25 goal, 60 point guy (who plays a two way game too). That taken together with getting Rask's contract gone makes this just a masterful deal.