The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

3 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I can't wait to get off page 108, the Adam Fox tweet has been autoplaying for dayyyyssssssss

Helping along...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, legend-1 said:

I can't wait to get off page 108, the Adam Fox tweet has been autoplaying for dayyyyssssssss

Fox needs his own page since he's covered in multiple forums.

With apologies before writing this, the latest is another kick in the (fill in the blank) being reported in the Fox saga by Sara Civian. She reports that the "NHL has told the Canes that they cannot sign and trade Fox". If true, that certainly limits the direction this is going? And YES wxray, for some reason, I've let this situation bother me when I should be focused on this game tonight? See y'all there. 

Edited by KJUNKANE

43 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

With apologies before writing this, the latest is another kick in the (fill in the blank) being reported in the Fox saga by Sara Civian. She reports that the "NHL has told the Canes that they cannot sign and trade Fox". If true, that certainly limits the direction this is going? And YES wxray, for some reason, I've let this situation bother me when I should be focused on this game tonight? See y'all there. 

Cannot sign and trade at all? Almost any trade is sign and trade, isn't it? Or that means that we can trade only after certain amount if games played for Canes?

Why all the angst? I dont get it. One unproven player in the midst of a successful season (so far).  Who cares? He’s another Jack Johnson to me .

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cc said:

Why all the angst? I dont get it. One unproven player in the midst of a successful season (so far).  Who cares? He’s another Jack Johnson to me .

At this point, I agree.  Only a month or two ago I was excited at the prospect of welcoming Fox to the team, and moving a couple of parts in exchange for other parts.  BUT, if he does not want to be here, then go get what you can for his rights.  The Canes have an embarrassing amount of defensive talent, that has only been embellished by Hamilton's late season's production, Fleury's successful cameos, Bean's very good 1st season at Charlotte, and McKewon's great year down there.  The fact is that Fox may very well fear coming to this team and not standing out.  Would he be able to beat out Faulk, Hamilton, Pesce, TVR, or even McKewon on the right side?  He may see himself as a potential #6 on the RH defense side of this team, and simply want to be shipped somewhere with a better chance to play.  

I have read some comical posts from Ranger fans about trading their fat in exchange for Fox, as if the Rangers hold all kind of leverage.  It is nice to say to them, "Check the standings."

41 minutes ago, cc said:

Even if some don't see the massive upside, he's an asset that we got in a trade and if he just walks, that's a lost opportunity.  Every single superstar playing in this league was "unproven" before he stepped onto NHL ice. 

I get coping with it if he's gone by saying "we didn't need him anyways, good riddance", but at this point he is still in play. Plus some of us have been following this guy since we got his rights in that big trade, and he's done nothing on the ice to diminish his promise. If we lose him for nothing, we'll go on, but we haven't lost him yet, so it's something to discuss anyways.

21 minutes ago, remkin said:

Even if some don't see the massive upside, he's an asset that we got in a trade and if he just walks, that's a lost opportunity.

I agree. I would like to see some background on why we can't sign or trade. Or is it we can't sign and trade. Can we still trade his rights? I'm confused.

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Even if some don't see the massive upside, he's an asset that we got in a trade and if he just walks, that's a lost opportunity.  Every single superstar playing in this league was "unproven" before he stepped onto NHL ice. 

I get coping with it if he's gone by saying "we didn't need him anyways, good riddance", but at this point he is still in play. Plus some of us have been following this guy since we got his rights in that big trade, and he's done nothing on the ice to diminish his promise. If we lose him for nothing, we'll go on, but we haven't lost him yet, so it's something to discuss anyways.

I agree rem, and further think that "rationalization" is such a useful attribute to spare one stress? Yes, we can just say "If he doesn't want to play here, lets move on" because we have all this backlog of Dmen. But the trade was in part based on honesty, and now part of it is being circumvented. Sure, we can rationalize away the loss, and he is unproven, albeit appears pretty special so far, and please don't think that I begrudge anyone who either seeks a higher education or believes he can succeed more quickly under different circumstances, but not proceed because one feels a sense of entitlement? Conditions of this trade, as hopefully all are, were reached in good faith. Now DW may be guilty of naivety or more likely failure to do due diligence, but LIKE THE JACK JOHNSON fiasco, I think it is an unfortunate turn of events. Now will it keep me from enjoying the next several days, NO, but I still think that it's a loophole that the NHL needs to address. And if it should play out the way a few smug New Yorkers are gloating over, then I'll like it even less. And carried to the extreme, that is to allow any player to pick and choose his team,seems to me to be the antithesis of the mantra of "parity" the NHL professes and seeks?  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

I agree rem, and further think that "rationalization" is such a useful attribute to spare one stress? Yes, we can just say "If he doesn't want to play here, lets move on" because we have all this backlog of Dmen. But the trade was in part based on honesty, and now part of it is being circumvented. Sure, we can rationalize away the loss, and he is unproven, albeit appears pretty special so far, and please don't think that I begrudge anyone who either seeks a higher education or believes he can succeed more quickly under different circumstances, but not proceed because one feels a sense of entitlement? Conditions of this trade, as hopefully all are, were reached in good faith. Now DW may be guilty of naivety or more likely failure to do due diligence, but LIKE THE JACK JOHNSON fiasco, I think it is an unfortunate turn of events. Now will it keep me from enjoying the next several days, NO, but I still think that it's a loophole that the NHL needs to address. And if it should play out the way a few smug New Yorkers are gloating over, then I'll like it even less. And carried to the extreme, that is to allow any player to pick and choose his team,seems to me to be the antithesis of the mantra of "parity" the NHL professes and seeks?  

I wonder if perhaps Fox was being sincere at the time and that Waddell actually did do due diligence but that circumstances changed.  I could see Waddell telling Fox that we were going to have space on the right side because we were going to trade one of our three top-1/2  R D-men for a scoring forward (which by all reports we tried to do).  But when it didn't happen after a full 9 months, Fox reevaluated the situation and decided that he needed to "protect" himself rather than trust that things would play out as Waddell originally presented. 

9 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I wonder if perhaps Fox was being sincere at the time and that Waddell actually did do due diligence but that circumstances changed.  I could see Waddell telling Fox that we were going to have space on the right side because we were going to trade one of our three top-1/2  R D-men for a scoring forward (which by all reports we tried to do).  But when it didn't happen after a full 9 months, Fox reevaluated the situation and decided that he needed to "protect" himself rather than trust that things would play out as Waddell originally presented. 

To me that's the other possibility outside of "name your team". And really, on that one, I'd do the same thing if I were him. And Faulk and Dougy and frankly our whole D has been pretty good so I could see Waddell shifting on his end too. But more likely, to move any of our top 5 Dmen ahead of the deadline, we needed a very strong return and we probably didn't get the right offer. Of course this will also be the case in the off-season, so Fox is concerned, but it will be more doable in the off season, so hopefully Fox can wait long enough for us to see what we can do.

I woke up this morning realizing how we blew any chance of winning the draft lottery.  

We blew it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hag65 said:

I woke up this morning realizing how we blew any chance of winning the draft lottery.  

We blew it.

That right there makes me angry ;)

15 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Then there's that, good point Lake and rem. There's always another side of a coin, and generally I've needed in my profession to try to be open minded, but had not thought of that. Thanks for the insight. Also this morning, after the exuberance of finally making playoffs last night, I'd accept just about anything, haha.

TSN has a story on Fox. TSN 

Apparently we could still tray to sign him or trade his rights. We own his rights for another year and a half. The thought is we want a first rounder for his rights.

and Chip tweeted

38 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Apparently we could still tray to sign him or trade his rights. We own his rights for another year and a half. The thought is we want a first rounder for his rights.

and Chip tweeted

The Rangers have three 1st round picks this June;  their own (top 6), Winnipeg's (around #23), and Tampa's (last).  I don't think anything less than the Winnipeg pick would be an acceptable exchange for Fox.  Ranger fans think he can be had for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, but that is a joke.  That is like us saying Fox and our 1st round pick (#21) for the top Ranger pick.  That would work.

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

and Chip tweeted

OBXer, this report contradicts one given by our own Sara Civian who stated I believe "the NHL has stated that we cannot TRADE the rights to Fox"? I wish someone would clear this up, as the 2 don't compute?

21 minutes ago, beboplar said:

The Rangers have three 1st round picks this June;  their own (top 6), Winnipeg's (around #23), and Tampa's (last).  I don't think anything less than the Winnipeg pick would be an acceptable exchange for Fox.  Ranger fans think he can be had for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, but that is a joke.  That is like us saying Fox and our 1st round pick (#21) for the top Ranger pick.  That would work.

I'd insist on their top pick or move onto the next team.

4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

OBXer, this report contradicts one given by our own Sara Civian who stated I believe "the NHL has stated that we cannot TRADE the rights to Fox"? I wish someone would clear this up, as the 2 don't compute?

We can't do a sign and trade. If we trade him it's just his rights, new teams gotta fight with him to sign him.

Even clarifying what she said I don't understand that either. Once he's signed I feel like we should be able to deal him. Normally I'd research this but I trust her, can't think of anything more boring then reading the rules as to why we can't sign and trade Fox right now. Other then it would screw over Fox, but business right?

Edited by legend-1

1 minute ago, KJUNKANE said:

I don't have a subscription so I don't know what was written. I think article said we couldn't sign and trade. That would be different than trading his rights. I admit I would like some clarification but from the Waddel's  quote in the article it makes be believe we can trade his rights. Time will tell.

"Nothing has changed. We're still in the same place. We own his rights for another year and a half. We'll continue down the path and try to sign him," Waddell told the Raleigh News and Observer. "There are teams that have reached out to us and it's my job as GM to talk to them. There's no end date right now. He doesn't have to be signed by Monday.

"We have to figure out what's the best way to deal with it: get him signed or make the decision to trade him."

15 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I don't have a subscription so I don't know what was written. I think article said we couldn't sign and trade. That would be different than trading his rights. I admit I would like some clarification but from the Waddel's  quote in the article it makes be believe we can trade his rights. Time will tell.

We can trade him but in doing so, the other team can’t sign him in order to burn a year of his ELC.  AHL tryout, yes.  

We are the only team he can sign with this season to use a year of ELC.

• Like 1

Make the playoffs for the first time in a decade last night. Kvetch about Fox today.

Yup, this is the Canes board.  This is why we can't have nice things.  We don't know how to appreciate it.  In other words...

LIGHTEN-UP.thumb.png.f901f7b5589da62a1f2aa8a44143a416.png

• Like 1