The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

If we thought the Matthews injury was going to slow down Nylander trade rumors it's time to reassess. Friedman apparently said Nylander talks at a stand still and Leafs could be forced soon to make a decision. Dreger says there is no shortage of interest in Nylander and puts Carolina high on the interested list.

Pesce still being mentioned as is Faulk in a trade scenario.

48 minutes ago, OBXer said:

If we thought the Matthews injury was going to slow down Nylander trade rumors it's time to reassess. Friedman apparently said Nylander talks at a stand still and Leafs could be forced soon to make a decision. Dreger says there is no shortage of interest in Nylander and puts Carolina high on the interested list.

Pesce still being mentioned as is Faulk in a trade scenario.

My guess is that the Matthews injury won't affect Nylander much as that has another month to it's deadline. It probably takes Kadri off the list, or at least decreases that one a lot as they will need him until Matthews returns. If Nylander becomes available, I'd probably tell Toronto, "Slavin is off the table. Other than that, let's talk." (Assuming they want D for O). 

I find it interesting that Freidman recently reported that all contacting the Leafs are told they are not interested in moving Nylander, yet somehow somebody "knows" they want Pesce for him. With Rask still coming back, there's no way I offer more than Faulk and PDG plus a prospect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

With Rask still coming back, there's no way I offer more than Faulk and PDG plus a prospect.

I doubt that's enough. They could have had PDG for free when we waived him. 

Last year Nylander was the #44 best forward in the NHL in points per game, at 21 years old, far from his peak.

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I find it interesting that Freidman recently reported that all contacting the Leafs are told they are not interested in moving Nylander, yet somehow somebody "knows" they want Pesce for him. With Rask still coming back, there's no way I offer more than Faulk and PDG plus a prospect.

Friedman or Dreger didn't say they want Pesce. Others did.

The emphasis was still that the Leafs may not want to give up Nylander but could be forced to look at a trade as December approaches. You know, the trade me or don't play me deadline.  Pesce has been widely mentioned among those following the Leafs. It doesn't make it so but it isn't that far from a reasonable ask by them.

41 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Friedman or Dreger didn't say they want Pesce. Others did.

The emphasis was still that the Leafs may not want to give up Nylander but could be forced to look at a trade as December approaches. You know, the trade me or don't play me deadline.  Pesce has been widely mentioned among those following the Leafs. It doesn't make it so but it isn't that far from a reasonable ask by them.

Yes it is.  Larson returned a Hall.  Pesce is better than Larson and Nylander is not better than Hall.

On 10/30/2018 at 5:41 PM, bluedevil58 said:

Yes it is.  Larson returned a Hall.  Pesce is better than Larson and Nylander is not better than Hall.

Yeah, and $24 worth of beads returned the island of Manhattan.  Larson/ Hall is regarded as one of the worst trades in recent memory.   I wouldn't suggest you hold your breath waiting for a deal similar to Manhattan OR Larson/Hall.

Edited by LakeLivin

On 10/30/2018 at 4:40 PM, remkin said:

I doubt that's enough.

I'm fine with that. With all the talent we have to sign to long-terms deals in the near future, we need to move salary and age out (especially if we acquire another, who apparently wants his LTD now). If they won't help us out doing that by taking Faulk, why should we help them out of the corner into which they painted themselves when they paid Tavares?

Hockey trading means both teams get what they need, which involves compromise. Toronto may not want to, but they need to get rid of Nylander and want an RHD. We need to move out salary and age, and if that means throwing in the offensive prospect of their choice (other than Necas), along with Faulk, even though we don't want to, that sounds like a pretty even deal for both clubs.

Edited by top-shelf-1
typo

4 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'm fine with that. With all the talent we have to sign to long-terms deals in the near future, we need to move salary and age out (especially if we acquire another, who apparently wants his LTD now). If they won't help us out doing that buy taking Faulk, why should we help them out of the corner into which they painted themselves when they paid Tavares?

Hockey trading means both teams get what they need, which involves compromise. Toronto may not want to, but they need to get rid of Nylander and want an RHD. We need to move out salary and age, and if that means throwing in the offensive prospect of their choice (other than Necas), along with Faulk, even though we don't want to, that sounds like a pretty even deal for both clubs.

Faulk cannot return Nylander IMO.  Not even with a prospect add.

2 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Faulk cannot return Nylander IMO.  Not even with a prospect add.

Unless I'm mistaken bd58, thats not exactly what top has proposed. In an "ideal exchange" you are correct, but in the one being speculated upon, Toronto does not hold a strong suit if I understand correctly. Their greed if I may call it that, or better, arrogance, has painted them into a corner with Tavares. Both Matthews and Marner will command top dollar. Combine that with the salary Tavares is paid and you quickly eat up what 35% of the salary cap, just for 3 players. Now, if Nylander is asking/expecting 7.5 to 8 mil, how do they afford that. Thus top's contention I think is that  both teams have to compromise. Yes, no doubt Toronto "wants" Slavin, and we'd like Matthews, but neither side is getting that. Need takes precedence here, and they need a RHD. Faulk may be their default choice, but as I see it, and am guessing top has stated, their proverbial backs may be against the wall.

If the world were bilateral between us and Toronto, then the argument of us "helping them out" would be germane. 

But in fact, if Toronto decides to explore moving Nylander they can trade with other teams too, and multiple other teams want Nylander. If our deal of Faulk plus prospect isn't as good as one proposed by any of the other 29 teams, then we don't get the deal. And we don't get helped out.

If we can move Faulk plus "prospect not named Necas" for Nylander, clearly I'm on board. I just don't think that necessarily moves us past other teams. Also, in keeping with tradition, the inside track would go to Western Conference teams as GM's think this lessens the impact of the player traded. 

I'm really interested to see how this goes down.

Ron Francis got canned primarily because he was too tentative or reluctant to give up assets to improve the team at last year's deadline.  You could argue that wasn't the case but it's what I took away from his demotion and the little info we were privy to.

Will TD and the committee do the same thing (i.e. sit on their hands) when it is obvious to every devout Canes fan we can't finish our scoring chances and desperately need some help?  Necas and Svech are going to be good players at some point, but they aren't helping now.

I want to make the playoffs.  I'm desperate to make the playoffs.  Is the committee?

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Ron Francis got canned primarily because he was too tentative or reluctant to give up assets to improve the team at last year's deadline.  You could argue that wasn't the case but it's what I took away from his demotion and the little info we were privy to.

Will TD and the committee do the same thing (i.e. sit on their hands) when it is obvious to every devout Canes fan we can't finish our scoring chances and desperately need some help?  Necas and Svech are going to be good players at some point, but they aren't helping now.

I want to make the playoffs.  I'm desperate to make the playoffs.  Is the committee?

This is IT in a nutshell.  We do need some help in finishing.  The team has assets.  Figure out some kind of deal and as Larry the Cable guy would say...

311197389_gitrdone.png.d0911b1145c70dd14d38543999c85a69.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Was he canned because he lacked moves or because he wouldn’t do the group collaboration decision making?

6 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Was he canned because he lacked moves or because he wouldn’t do the group collaboration decision making?

Lack of moves and bad moves at the goalie position.

The thing about the draft and develop thing is that it is sooo slow. Take Foegele for instance. He was drafted in 2014, 5 drafts ago. And while he's been a revelation, he's still having expected rookie struggles. He will still probably be a very good player, but it will probably be year 6 before he's fully there. 

We are bummed that Necas is back in the AHL, but he's 19. Svech will be great, but probably not at 18. And we've still got other guys in the system who can end up being really good (Bean, Kuokkanen, Gauthier, Fox, Roy, and more), but probably not this year. I know I've been saying this year matters for a few years now, but this year matters.

The committee pulled off one hockey trade. (Of course they also dumped a guy). Here's hoping they can pull off one more this year.

• Like 1

That would be the exciting thing, but the more I think about it, we probably need to take an extra D man on this road trip.

7 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I have no idea of the specific reason but a move wasn't made and a history of that was in place. Dundon comes in and the rest is what happened after.  Ron got canned.

Thanks for the update out of Toronto - to me there is a lot of smoke around this, especially since our own miniature press following the Canes have said on more than one occasion the team really likes Nylander.

Get busy.

At least we are trying to be aggressive.

just want to know what the cost will be.

Expectations: Pesce or Faulk +

Toronto Fans: If we trade Nylander for Pesce the city will burn.  Not interested in Slavin either. Its Subban or Seth Jones.

The fly in the ointment may be Aho. There is no Nylander deal without an extension. It seems he’s looking for 7 to 8 years x $7 million plus. If he’s worth that, what should Aho expect? As far as who we trade, I would love to hang onto Pesce, but if that’s what it takes to get this done, we are deep in defensemen and should be okay. From Toronto’s standpoint, he’s younger and cheaper than Faulk and signed for longer. Also, with the current logjam of defensemen, I could see Fox taking a pass and waiting another year until our rights to him expire if we don’t move someone. He’s watching the #7 overall pick 4 years ago play in Charlotte because of our defensive depth. Wonder how that affects his thinking?