The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

9 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

the last thing  you want  is to make enemies  with teams  when it comes to making trades .  

Like the Wild? ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

They scratched our back for sure ! 

And feel like we took sandpaper and lemons to theirs in return😂

16 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Like the Wild? ;)

You don't know what was going on up there. Could be that Nino burnt some bridges, or was somehow disruptive in the room. We definitely got the good end of the trade, but there must have been a reason they traded him for our bag of pucks. Anyway, he seems to be a good fit here.

18 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

You don't know what was going on up there. Could be that Nino burnt some bridges, or was somehow disruptive in the room. We definitely got the good end of the trade, but there must have been a reason they traded him for our bag of pucks. Anyway, he seems to be a good fit here.

Whatever was bugging Nino, he has the far superior skill and game to Rask. It was not a huge stretch that a change in scenery would allow Nino to return to his 25G 57 point production of just two years ago. Rask? Honestly had about 3.5 really good months, three years ago. 

I have to wonder about the Wild's NHL scouting staff and whomever just looks at old video. 

I have to wonder if whatever was bugging Nino may not have been mostly on him. I guess time will tell, but even if he regresses, the odds that he drops to Raskian numbers is pretty slim. Minnesota is more than likely going to have to pay Rask $4million/year for 3 more years of 4th line service.

BTW I don't dislike Rask. He was a second rounder made good and I wish him well. But IMO he's just not fast enough for the new NHL. As a result, he has to turn and burn for the D end rather than engage in the offense. I may well be totally wrong, but I really don't see him coming close to what Nino will produce moving forward. And to my eye Nino is a very clear cut top 6 talent, and Rask is a bottom 6 talent. 

That trade was so lopsided it makes watching the Rangers take Fox a bit easier.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

nino had been dropped to their third line- wasn't getting the playing time and results reflected that. He is not the first nor last player that fell out of favor with their current team- and got a boost in production in a new setting( see skinner, jeff).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, canes2017 said:

nino had been dropped to their third line- wasn't getting the playing time and results reflected that. He is not the first nor last player that fell out of favor with their current team- and got a boost in production in a new setting( see skinner, jeff).

Yeah but how did that flash in the pan work for Buffalo ? He lit up the beginning of the season, got the press, and then took his usual vacation. Whereas Nino is still playing hockey, not golf,  like Skinner.

Not sure I would call 40 goals( his best year ever) and 63 points a "flash in the pan".. it's ok to say an ex player had a good season and a boost in production with new team. Yes, he cooled off at the end of the season- but even with that, still very good numbers is the Point- the change in scenery did him good.

For some serious LOL's, head down to the bottom of the article:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/6-ways-leafs-gm-dubas-make-tavares-sized-splash-off-season/

Really?!?? Dougie and Pesce as trade bait? How bout this, Leaves, Dougie for Marner, straight up!

Edited by AWACSooner

15 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

For some serious LOL's, head down to the bottom of the article:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/6-ways-leafs-gm-dubas-make-tavares-sized-splash-off-season/

Really?!?? Dougie and Pesce as trade bait? How bout this, Leaves, Dougie for Marner, straight up!

AWACS, if I were a betting man, I'd put a wager that Toronto (Dubas) is going to put a huge push to get one Jeff Skinner? Should they do that, they must have some collateral damage and one of Kapanen, Marner or Nylander might have to be sacrificed? Maybe the way to go would be to offer up Bean or Fleury which could  give them cost containment, plus one  of our 2nd round picks (hate to do a 1st, but ours this year might be close to a 2nd)? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

AWACS, if I were a betting man, I'd put a wager that Toronto (Dubas) is going to put a huge push to get one Jeff Skinner? Should they do that, they must have some collateral damage and one of Kapanen, Marner or Nylander might have to be sacrificed? Maybe the way to go would be to offer up Bean or Fleury which could  give them cost containment, plus one  of our 2nd round picks (hate to do a 1st, but ours this year might be close to a 2nd)? 

Just my opinion, but the last thing Toronto needs is Skinner and the contract he'll get. But if they do, there are a couple of their forwards I'd take off their hands.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

The Leafs need to sign what forwards they have and get help for their D.  I can't see them shopping for a big name UFA.  Unless Skinner is going to give them a big discount to play there, I can't see it.

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, remkin said:

Just my opinion, but the last thing Toronto needs is Skinner and the contract he'll get. But if they do, there are a couple of their forwards I'd take off their hands.

True that rem "last thing they need", but then did they really "need" Tavares, or was he a bright shiny new toy that they were attempting to gloat over? I mean, they had the horses albeit young ones. Skinner would be just another prize to show the world that they could?

And sd, yes I'll agree that they need to sign the ones they have, but will they?

We have one roster spot now that McGinn and Foegele have cemented their roster spots. 

If Toronto wants to give up Nylander for Faulk after July 1st and we take on Marleau so they have enough space then sure.  

I move Marleau to San Jose to allow him and Big Joe to retire as sharks while eating his cap at half.  Next year’s 2nd rounder, maybe.

• Like 1

I am correct that we have 3 second round picks this year, yes? Ours, Rangers and Buffalo’s. If so, that’s a lot to work with if we want to make a trade. I think Rangers’ pick is around 37th overall. Or just pick 4 players in top 62. Or package our 1st and one or more seconds to move up in first round.

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

True that rem "last thing they need", but then did they really "need" Tavares, or was he a bright shiny new toy that they were attempting to gloat over? I mean, they had the horses albeit young ones. Skinner would be just another prize to show the world that they could?

The thing about going after Tavares was that was before they had Tavares' $11 million/year contract. Now with Tavares' $11 million/year, Auston Matthews $11.6 million, Nylander's $7 million, and Mitch Marner's, soon to be $10 million'ish, how do they add $7-8 million for Skinner, especially when they need defense the most. 

I mean, I hope they do, because then maybe we can make a run at Nylander or Kapanen, but I just can't see it. 

Wow, was just thinking how great it is to be watching playoff hockey for a change, AND be interested in the outcome of all games (for past 10 years I've spent reading good books and trying to glean info on pending draftees). Only faint concern now, and not even that, is trying to find a "diamond in the rough" among those players in later part of each round? I so relish this current view of hockey?