Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

 

Expectations: Pesce or Faulk +

Toronto Fans: If we trade Nylander for Pesce the city will burn.  Not interested in Slavin either. Its Subban or Seth Jones.

I'm starting to think Toronto fans are a bit nuts. 

 

They're not getting either of those guys for Nylander. Just allow me to respond to my friends up North....:rofl::spin:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

He’s watching the #7 overall pick 4 years ago play in Charlotte because of our defensive depth. Wonder how that affects his thinking?

 

 

Wow, forgot that Fleury was drafted the same year as Draisaitl.  A little perspective as to how long Fleury's been in the system...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Wow, forgot that Fleury was drafted the same year as Draisaitl.  A little perspective as to how long Fleury's been in the system...

 

 

And the next pick after Fleury - Nylander.  Ba-dump-bump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, remkin said:

I'm starting to think Toronto fans are a bit nuts. 

 

They're not getting either of those guys for Nylander. Just allow me to respond to my friends up North....:rofl::spin:

I wish i was exaggerating.  

 

I am really apprehensive about a trade with Nylander as far as cost. 

He is a master of gaining the zone and can score.

At the same time he’s had 2 60 point seasons while racking up the assists from riding Matthews coat tails.

 

look at Kapanen as an example. Basically nothing since he started in the league. Now he is on Matthews line and he is on pace for 70 points.  Kapanen has become Nylander? Or do people really benefit from Matthews that much?  If so, what happens when Nylander isn’t on Matthews line?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Or do people really benefit from Matthews that much?  If so, what happens when Nylander isn’t on Matthews line?

 

Yes I expect players do benefit from Matthews and I would expect Nylander can hold his own without Matthews but won't be quite the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

And another trading front opens.

 

Have to think JWilly is calling old friends to gauge interest in a move east.

 

? Quick is having repair work done and will be out? The Kings are sitting ugly right now and they want to win. We cant trade McE so trade Mrazek then?  Who, of note, would LA trade?  I doubt anyone that would help us.  Brown, pass.  Carter, think about it but also pass.  They arent moving Toffoli for Mrazek.  Thompson and Lewis arent any help.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

 

? Quick is having repair work done and will be out? The Kings are sitting ugly right now and they want to win. We cant trade McE so trade Mrazek then?  Who, of note, would LA trade?  I doubt anyone that would help us.  Brown, pass.  Carter, think about it but also pass.  They arent moving Toffoli for Mrazek.  Thompson and Lewis arent any help.  

I was thinking Darling. Knee surgery + old keeper = extended recuperation. Quick is 32, Darling's three years younger and has three left on his deal.

 

Edited by top-shelf-1
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I'm really interested to see how this goes down.

 

Ron Francis got canned primarily because he was too tentative or reluctant to give up assets to improve the team at last year's deadline.  You could argue that wasn't the case but it's what I took away from his demotion and the little info we were privy to.

 

Will TD and the committee do the same thing (i.e. sit on their hands) when it is obvious to every devout Canes fan we can't finish our scoring chances and desperately need some help?  Necas and Svech are going to be good players at some point, but they aren't helping now.

 

I want to make the playoffs.  I'm desperate to make the playoffs.  Is the committee?

Bingo. With RF it got to the point that we were crying for him to just do something,make some type of trade.Not all trades work out, but at some point you have to make a move. I was concerned at the beginning of the season with our lack of fire power and still am. I never considered Necas and Svech to be the answer this year. I'm not thrilled with giving up a Pesce or equivalent but our defensive depth is greater than our offensive depth. We have needed offensive talent for years and have struck out on any moves. If we can't make a move and get a Nylander deal done soon then we need to look elsewhere soon for any help this year. Toronto needs to make a decision soon as they can't wait until December. Nylander isn't exactly in game ready shape right now playing roller ball video games from his couch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I was thinking Darling. Knee surgery + old keeper = extended recuperation. Quick is 32, Darling's three years younger and has three left on his deal.

 

idk. I dont see LA having 10 million sucked up in goalie contracts for the next 2+ seasons.  Even if we were to take back a "bad" contract like Carter.  I dont believe either helps either team in the long run.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Bingo. With RF it got to the point that we were crying for him to just do something,make some type of trade.Not all trades work out, but at some point you have to make a move. I was concerned at the beginning of the season with our lack of fire power and still am. I never considered Necas and Svech to be the answer this year. I'm not thrilled with giving up a Pesce or equivalent but our defensive depth is greater than our offensive depth. We have needed offensive talent for years and have struck out on any moves. If we can't make a move and get a Nylander deal done soon then we need to look elsewhere soon for any help this year. Toronto needs to make a decision soon as they can't wait until December. Nylander isn't exactly in game ready shape right now playing roller ball video games from his couch.

 

Nylander was skating with his old team in Sweden.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, OBXer said:

The word is LA need scoring help. I don't know if we have any to spare.

They need keeper help more urgently. They can still win games with an NHL keeper, and can shop elsewhere if they want more help up front. I'd rather run with Mac and Mraz (at what point do we just start calling him "Cheese," BTW?), lose Darling's cost, and pave the way for a Ned & Cheese duo next year.

 

Edited by top-shelf-1
missing word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

 

Nylander was skating with his old team in Sweden.  

Yeah I understand that but it does not equate to being game ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

They keeper help more urgently. They can still win games with an NHL keeper, and can shop elsewhere if they want more help up front. I'd rather run with Mac and Marz (at what point do we just start calling him "Cheese," BTW?), lose Darling's cost, and pave the way for a Ned & Cheese duo next year.

I'd prefer a different name as we already have swiss cheese.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2018 at 12:04 AM, KJUNKANE said:

their proverbial backs may be against the wall.

That's where one's back winds up when one has painted oneself into a corner. Well explicated, sir.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, remkin said:

I'm starting to think Toronto fans are a bit nuts.

Rooting for an Original Six Canadian team with no Cup in 50 years will do that for ya.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

 

At the same time he’s had 2 60 point seasons while racking up the assists from riding Matthews coat tails.

 

look at Kapanen as an example. Basically nothing since he started in the league. Now he is on Matthews line and he is on pace for 70 points.  Kapanen has become Nylander? Or do people really benefit from Matthews that much?  If so, what happens when Nylander isn’t on Matthews line?  

There are stats on Nylander sans Matthews, and they're still good. Not as good, but notabley, Matthews numbers dropped last year when not with Nylander too. 

 

I still think Nylander is a easily a first line talent without Matthews. Put him with Aho and TT and he's still getting his points. 

 

However, I do have 2 reservations. One is salary. Unlike some, I have no problem with us paying someone $8 million. BUT that person has to be worth that money. Two is related: goals. We really need finishers, and Nylander to date has not really been that. If we are going to risk overpayment, I would prefer it for a goal scorer.  

 

But talent is talent and creating chances matters too. And you take what's there. Tavares would have been better, but that ship sailed. 

 

I have no problem giving up D for him, even prospects or picks, but we do have to be careful not to grossly overpay for a 20 goal guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

They need keeper help more urgently. They can still win games with an NHL keeper, and can shop elsewhere if they want more help up front. I'd rather run with Mac and Mraz (at what point do we just start calling him "Cheese," BTW?), lose Darling's cost, and pave the way for a Ned & Cheese duo next year.

 

 

You think that, I think that and reasonable thinking would lead us to believe that but this is from the LA Times


 

Quote

 

All indications on Wednesday were the Kings won’t immediately try to trade for a goalie. Instead, they’ll stick with Jack Campbell and Peter Budaj and will count on goaltending coach Bill Ranford to wave his magic goalie stick over them.


 

 

Quote

Ultimately, unless they can score more goals it wouldn’t matter if they put Rogie Vachon in net, and he’s 73. :coollaugh:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rogie'd probably do it, too!

 

Assuming the writer's source is correct, L.A. is willing to risk writing off the season. American TG is three weeks away and they are buried in the standings.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Rogie'd probably do it, too!

 

Assuming the writer's source is correct, L.A. is willing to risk writing off the season. American TG is three weeks away and they are buried in the standings.

 

The writer has cred. Still what might be true today might not be true by American TG. Something to watch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, remkin said:

 

 

I have no problem giving up D for him, even prospects or picks, but we do have to be careful not to grossly overpay for a 20 goal guy. 

That's the rub.He isn't a prolific goal scorer YET but he is a big point producer and can elevate the play of his line mates. I would guess that Svech's play would elevate if he was a linemate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...