Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

Recommended Posts

Kings have better internal options than our whole situation. That and if you're a GM with goalie issues, would you really ring up the worst goalie tandem in the league?

 

Darling only has 2 viable situations, he get's his numbers up and why would we trade him or he sucks and he's bought out. Or Arizona takes on his salary cause that's what they do for DW's soul.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

I'd prefer a different name as we already have swiss cheese.

Mrazek in Checz language is something close to Frost in English )))))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All this trade and cap talk, don't forget Ferly is in a contract year. Right? And I heard him say it on TV...the boy wants to stay in Carolina.

 

Let's make some big assumptions here, but what if #79 stays healthy and simply hovers at/around his year-to-date production level...what's a kid like THAT worth to keep in the room? I have no clue. I'm asking.  Yeah, yeah, he's put some pucks in the back of the net, and he's whooped a$$ a bit here and there. But that boy can skate. And pass.  Just watching him off-puck tells me he's the real deal.  Rarely out of position.  Rarely turning it over.  Never being anything but a good example for the youngsters... Keeping potential opposing rats at bay...

 

So...assuming the above, and if front office wants him beyond this year...what do THOSE numbers look like???  I honestly have no clue...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't say enough about Ferland so far.  If he keeps this up he will get paid for sure, as power forwards with his speed and hands don't grow on trees.

 

Does anybody know that Ferland is an indigenous Canadian?  Cree to be exact.  Seeing him the first time live during preseason I wondered and finally looked it up.

 

 

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Porter100 said:

All this trade and cap talk, don't forget Ferly is in a contract year. Right? And I heard him say it on TV...the boy wants to stay in Carolina.

 

Let's make some big assumptions here, but what if #79 stays healthy and simply hovers at/around his year-to-date production level...what's a kid like THAT worth to keep in the room? I have no clue. I'm asking.  Yeah, yeah, he's put some pucks in the back of the net, and he's whooped a$$ a bit here and there. But that boy can skate. And pass.  Just watching him off-puck tells me he's the real deal.  Rarely out of position.  Rarely turning it over.  Never being anything but a good example for the youngsters... Keeping potential opposing rats at bay...

 

So...assuming the above, and if front office wants him beyond this year...what do THOSE numbers look like???  I honestly have no clue...

It all depends on when they extend an offer. I expect his offense will drop off but he will demand a nice raise. I really don't know what he will demand but I'd offer  him 3-3.5 as a start as see where it goes from there. If he has a huge year this year his ask could be higher. I'd go with a 3x3 as an initial opening negotiating offer.

Edited by slapshot02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, coastal_caniac said:

Can't say enough about Ferland so far.  If he keeps this up he will get paid for sure, as power forwards with his speed and hands don't grow on trees.

 

Did anybody realize Ferland is an indigenous Canadian?  Cree to be exact.  Seeing him for the first time live I wondered and finally looked it up.

 

 

Interesting, I wondered the same when seeing him in interviews. Love this guy and he seems to be totally down to earth. Fought some tough battles and is now grounded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Does anybody know that Ferland is an indigenous Canadian?  Cree to be exact.  Seeing him the first time live during preseason I wondered and finally looked it up.

I'd been wondering. That's very cool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I travel in Nunavut every couple of years and have always been a big fan of Jordin Tootoo, the first Inuk to play in the NHL, and he had 13 seasons before retiring recently.  He went through some similar family struggles as Ferland early in his career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d expect Ferland to be a 4 yr 16 mil-18mil depending on his goal total.

 

Aho- 8 year, 64 million

Turbo- 6 year, 30-39 million depending on his points this season.

Fleury- 2 yr, 3 million bridge

 

Adding about 15 million in salary for those four. Of course, I’d bet we see a trade of 8.8 million from Rask & Faulk.

 

The addition of 6.2 million puts us at 53.2 million for next year.  We would have 3 forward positions open (2C, RW, LW) & 1 goalie spot. Decisions by the organization/ the individual will have to be made for/from Martinook & Williams.  

 

Leaves us plenty of room to make a big forward acquisition (wink, wink). 

 

 

Edited by gocanes0506

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I travel in Nunavut every couple of years and have always been a big fan of Jordin Tootoo, the first Inuk to play in the NHL, and he had 13 seasons before retiring recently.  He went through some similar family struggles as Ferland early in his career.

Having Ferland in the house has to be good for Darling.

 

I grew up watching Reggie Leach, who is Ojibwe. He's been sober for 30 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Speculation is crazy right now about a move with Toronto.  We have 3 people in the scout section, including a AGM, when we don’t play them for a month.

GC,

What's the source? How crazy? Any word as to supposed involved players?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Speculation is crazy right now about a move with Toronto.  We have 3 people in the scout section, including a AGM, when we don’t play them for a month.

 

It really is, lot's of smoke!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris Nichols of Nichols on Hockey: Pierre LeBrun was on TSN 1050 and said that from his understanding the Carolina Hurricanes would consider moving defenseman Brett Pesce in a deal for Toronto Maple Leafs RFA William Nylander. Now, it’s not known if the Maple Leafs want to trade Nylander, and would the Hurricanes be able to sign him.

 

“But listen, what we know is this: Carolina is monitoring it very closely. They’ve informed the Leafs that they want to know if and when the Leafs open up the trade possibility to teams, and that’s where it’s at. The rest is all us trying to fill in the blanks.

“Yeah, they absolutely really like Brett Pesce, but they also are very deep on defense and I believe the Hurricanes think they’re a top-six forward away from being even a better team."

 

Bold is mine. Must be reading our boards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, remkin said:

Now, it’s not known if the Maple Leafs want to trade Nylander, and would the Hurricanes be able to sign him.

If we send them Pesce when they have not signed Nylander to a deal we can live with, we are stupid beyond belief. I've said it before: The Leafs put themselves in this position. If they expect us to take Nylander and then be in the same boat they are... good freakin' luck.

 

And I still don't send them Pesce. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think or at least hope that we would have a deal in place with Nylander before making a trade. Any of our right handed Dmen are possible to go in a trade but they seem to want Pesce if the rumors can be believed, You can argue Pesce shouldn't be a third pair Dman but the realty is that is what he is on our team. It isn't that he isn't capable to move up and I expect he would if say Faulk was dealt. But if Pesce is what it takes then I think at this point I would deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, OBXer said:

It isn't that he isn't capable to move up and I expect he would if say Faulk was dealt. But if Pesce is what it takes then I think at this point I would deal.

Please. Roddy is trying to balance D pairs with one O- and D-type player per pair. But whenever he's needed a stop late, guess who he's put on the ice: Pesce and Slavin. That is a number-one defensive pairing, regardless how he writes their names on the white board before the game.

 

All of that being said, I'd actually do Pesce for a similarly skilled player from the Western Conference. But send the Leafs Pesce and we basically gift them the final brick in a wall that could keep the Canes from advancing to a Final for years to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Please. Roddy is trying to balance D pairs with one O- and D-type player per pair. But whenever he's needed a stop late, guess who he's put on the ice: Pesce and Slavin. That is a number-one defensive pairing, regardless how he writes their names on the white board before the game.

 

All of that being said, I'd actually do Pesce for a similarly skilled player from the Western Conference. But send the Leafs Pesce and we basically gift them the final brick in a wall that could keep the Canes from advancing to a Final for years to come.

 

 

I agree with the sentiment and Pesce is my favorite Cane, but as far as which conference he gets traded to, that's a non-issue IMO.  If he's the brick that keeps the Canes out of the finals forever, then he should be keeping our opposition out now, and that's not happening.  If he can return the final guy we need, then i don't care if he's in DC.  Fully agreed about the third pair thing, though.  He's definitely our top RHD IMO, no matter how HCRB fills out the chart.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...