The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

22 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

He's actually not my favorite, but anybody who doesn't think he's as good as Slavin isn't watching the games.

I'd probably go so far as to say he's better than Slavin, just in a quieter way.  I can't blame Toronto, or anyone else, for wanting Pesce.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

Bobrovsky is on the TSN Trade Bait list at #7. He has been struggling this season and is a UFA at the end of this season.

I thought I heard that Bob was looking for Cary Price money. I'm all for taking someone's #1 goalie, but that's pretty rich. He's also been so so in the playoffs, and he just crossed the 30 yo meridian. But I'd trade for him if the money were more reasonable, and we could move Darling.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I thought I heard that Bob was looking for Cary Price money. I'm all for taking someone's #1 goalie, but that's pretty rich. He's also been so so in the playoffs, and he just crossed the 30 yo meridian. But I'd trade for him if the money were more reasonable, and we could move Darling.

Except nobody wants Darling unless he is 75% retained.

6 hours ago, Porter100 said:

Huh? That’s like saying you’d buy groceries with anything EXCEPT cash or debit card. Comeon man.

TO has the groceries but they aren’t free.

TO let their groceries spoil and want us to pick up the tab. Not happening.

4 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

I'd probably go so far as to say he's better than Slavin, just in a quieter way.  I can't blame Toronto, or anyone else, for wanting Pesce.

I can't either. But...

• Like 2

On 11/3/2018 at 3:08 PM, realmdrakkar said:

McE cannot be included in this trade - since we claimed him off waivers from them, they'd have to turn him down for nothing before we can make them pay for him.

I looked this up last week and this was not how I understood it. Once Toronto waived him, they relinquished all rights. If another club(s) claimed him when we did, and our claim won by virtue of us having a worse record last season than that other club (or clubs), that other club(s) get right of first refusal before we could trade him elsewhere. At least that was my understanding.

I do think Mac is part of any deal with Toronto, especially now that L.A. is reportedly also involved--they need a short-term, reliable keeper to replace the out-indefinitely Quick, and quick.

Edited by top-shelf-1

10 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

The Canes might disagree with you.

True dat. I just assume on this thread (okay, and all others!) that everybody's opinions are couched in "If I were GM..."

5 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I looked this up last week and this was not how I understood it. Once Toronto waived him, they relinquished all rights. If another club(s) claimed him when we did, and our claim won by virtue of a us having a worse record last season than that other club (or clubs), that other club(s) get right of first refusal before we could trade him elsewhere. At least that was my understanding.

I do think Mac is part of any deal with Toronto, especially now that L.A. is reportedly also involved--they need a short-term, reliable keeper to replace the out-indefinitely Quick, and quick.

That's good to hear, if that's the case.  Though i'm also still in the camp who think Mac may be the best option we have. Obviously the people in charge feel otherwise, however.

19 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

That's good to hear, if that's the case.  Though i'm also still in the camp who think Mac may be the best option we have. Obviously the people in charge feel otherwise, however.

I just feel like Toronto didn't want to let him go, and that there may have been gentlemen's agreement in place that if we make a play for Nylander, getting Mac back is the price for a seat at the table. Based on nothing I've seen or read anywhere.

Edited by top-shelf-1
missing word
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

True dat. I just assume on this thread (okay, and all others!) that everybody's opinions are couched in "If I were GM..."

Absolutely, I hung up on you. :thumbsup:

Edited by coastal_caniac

56 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Absolutely, I hung up on you. :thumbsup:

Works for me.

Hey, if Toronto wants to turn their greed into a Cup at our expense and we let them, we don't need a committee. We need a shrink. 

Canes need to make a trade for at least one forward.  It is becoming more and more obvious every game.  This should’ve been addressed in the summer, especially after trading skinner.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

Canes need to make a trade for at least one forward.  It is becoming more and more obvious every game.  This should’ve been addressed in the summer, especially after trading skinner.  

We should have signed a guy to take his place before trading him.

I hear on the hockey radios that James Neal is getting the Skinner treatment from Peters.  Neal would have been one we should have targeted.

6 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I hear on the hockey radios that James Neal is getting the Skinner treatment from Peters.  Neal would have been one we should have targeted.

I could handle James Neal on this team.  We have any more Peters favorites left?

• Like 1

So now that the canes have ****** away their 4-1-1 start with 3 game losing streak and the current 4 game skid, does the management team pull the trigger soon on something?

31 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

I could handle James Neal on this team.  We have any more Peters favorites left?

Faulk ?

It was more of we should have tried to sign him.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he is available this offseason if the treatment continues.

13 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Works for me.

Hey, if Toronto wants to turn their greed into a Cup at our expense and we let them, we don't need a committee. We need a shrink. 

I think we are talking past one another.  Nobody, including me, wants to help out Toronto, but the smoke suggests the committee is thinking about it.  Saying it's not going to happen goes in the face of that, regardless of what couch GM's think.

FYI:

Allen doubts the Leafs can get Nylander re-signed to an affordable bridge deal and notes they’ll reach a cap crunch next summer when they must re-sign Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner. He suggests the Carolina Hurricanes, with their blueline depth, could be a good trade fit.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reports the Carolina Hurricanes are “all in” on Nylander if the Leafs decide to trade him. They’ve been frequently linked to the Leafs forward in the rumor mill since the summer, with Justin Faulk or Brett Pesce cited as the defenseman heading to the Leafs if a deal goes down. For now, no word on any progress involving Nylander’s contract talks or of the Leafs getting any closer to trading him.

25 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I think we are talking past one another.  Nobody, including me, wants to help out Toronto, but the smoke suggests the committee is thinking about it.  Saying it's not going to happen goes in the face of that, regardless of what couch GM's think.

We are talking past each other. It's obvious (well, as obvious as rumors can be, which is not much) that the committee is thinking about it. All I'm saying is that if I'm the GM, it's not gonna happen, and stating my opinion that if the committee ultimately does it, they need a shrink.

1 hour ago, sleekfeeder said:

Seems like the same pig again this year folks. Different lipstick again. Same pig. 

Yup, we're a point-per-game team that pats itself on the back for playing 20 minutes a night and "battling back to snag a point." FanFreakinTastic. Oops, almost forgot the cross-marketing: Let's all go to TopGolf and celebrate!