The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

2 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

Our offence will be fine.  We need a goalie!  Fix the GA and the PK in one move. Maybe it's time for Ned to get a look?

The offense is bad.  Goalie isn’t our number one need.  Even the best goalie won’t win a game if we don’t score. Also hard to win while only scoring 1.

we were 4-0-1 when we scored a bunch of goals. We are plain awful since scoring 2 or less a game.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

Our offence will be fine.  We need a goalie!  Fix the GA and the PK in one move. Maybe it's time for Ned to get a look?

FINALLY! Thank you. Elephant in the room, guys!!! It’s a G prob!!!!

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

I think we are talking past one another.  Nobody, including me, wants to help out Toronto, but the smoke suggests the committee is thinking about it.  Saying it's not going to happen goes in the face of that, regardless of what couch GM's think.

Who cares if we help Toronto? They aren’t going to make a trade that they don’t think helps their team. We need to make trade that helps Carolina, and not worry about anything else. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Don’t think we can retain over 50%. Am I wrong. Retaining 75%, it’s cheaper just to buy him out.

You are correct which might mean no one will want him.

How is a goalie going to fix the fact that we are scoring no goals?  Sure we need both.  But our glaring issue is nobody and I mean nobody is scoring goals.  Not even the great Aho.  Ferland is the only one doing his job and scoring regularly. He is not a superstar goal scorer though and he will slow down.  We are in major trouble with our offense.  Nobody on this team can finish.  Except Skinn......nevermind, forgot we gave him away for nothing even though he is the only one that could hit the back of 25-35 times a year.

3 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

You are correct which might mean no one will want him.

I don’t have Ned’s stats in hand, but given Charlotte’s hot start, they probably don’t want Darling either.

Ned’s save percentage isn’t great.  .911 and that is a .008 improvement from last season.  

i wish Booth would get more PT.  I don’t feel like Ned is our answer.  Charlotte doesn’t give up a lot shots.  

25 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

The offense is bad.  Goalie isn’t our number one need.  Even the best goalie won’t win a game if we don’t score. Also hard to win while only scoring 1.

we were 4-0-1 when we scored a bunch of goals. We are plain awful since scoring 2 or less a game.

Bad offense??? Dude.

SV% against last 4 tilts:

fleury 1.0 - darling .88

raanta .941 - mrazek .84

halak .95 - darling .93

greiss .97 - mrazek .90

and don’t say we didn’t generate scoring chances. we simply played against teams with real Gs.

our Gs puked on lot of muffins in the last 4 games. period. 

and you guys dribble about needing another impact-type C. or you bemoan sloppy play out front. or grumble about 18 year old boys trying to play out there with men. 

OR you lament our slow starts...

know something that exacerbates slow starts? Ah... going down 0-1 early in the first.

know something that deflates the lads? Working their a$$es right before they see a sofie hit the back of OUR net.

know what happens to deflated youngsters? they get the yips.

know why we got the yips? BECAUSE WE DONT HAVE A G!!!

(well actually we have three...which leads me right back to the top of my post)

If we were losing games 5-4 or bunch to a little I would agree but we aren’t.  We are losing scoring 3-1, 3-2, 2-1.  

opposition only scoring 3 is acceptable. Us not scoring 3 isn’t.  

It’s just as much of a downer for a goalie to know you have to be close to perfect because your team isn’t going to pick you up.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

If we were losing games 5-4 or bunch to a little I would agree but we aren’t.  We are losing scoring 3-1, 3-2, 2-1.  

opposition only scoring 3 is acceptable. Us not scoring 3 isn’t.  

It’s just as much of a downer for a goalie to know you have to be close to perfect because your team isn’t going to pick you up.

Exactly.  Not to get into a Wardo debate but I felt that was a big reason he could never be great here again.  He was always deflated knowing his team wasn't going to score year after year.  It goes both ways I guess.  But you look at our goal scoring stats and its horrible.  Aho 4 goals.  TT 3 goals.  Svech 3 goals.  Williams 1 goal.   Those are our "big goal scorers we were counting on".  Look at our Goaltending stats and they are horrible.  Look at our PK and PP stats and they are horrible.  Seems we are possibly even further off this year than previous years from being a contender. 

Really we are just an unproven young team with skill and speed that is lacking so much.  To me we need to start with a replacement for Skinners 25-37 goals. Than maybe we get lucky and Darling starts playing well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Porter100 said:

FINALLY! Thank you. Elephant in the room, guys!!! It’s a G prob!!!!

how is being last in the league in PP a goalie problem? 

0-for-6 in AZ, 0-for-3 in LV

And the PK has been better lately. We just don't score goals. And neither do goalies.

3 hours ago, Danimal38 said:

Really we are just an unproven young team with skill and speed that is lacking so much.  To me we need to start with a replacement for Skinners 25-37 goals. Than maybe we get lucky and Darling starts playing well.

Well said, and as Legend suggested elsewhere, getting rid of Skinner (and I'll add, Lindholm) for the sake of doing so was a really, really, dumb and (worse) vindictive move.

As far as goaltending, Darling has looked calm and collected; the flailing of trying to overcome the extra pounds of last year is gone. Mraz and Mac have kept us in every game they've played. Pretty much a keeper's job description.

Edit to add: Unfortunately our offense isn't doing its job. The minute Porter or Cliff or anybody else can explain to me the difference it would make in the standings to be losing 1-0 versus 3-0, I'll buy that it's a goalie problem. 

We can't score the puck, it's as simple as that.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Well said, and as Legend suggested elsewhere, getting rid of Skinner (and I'll add, Lindholm) for the sake of doing so was a really, really, dumb and (worse) vindictive move.

As far as goaltending, Darling has looked calm and collected; the flailing of trying to overcome the extra pounds of last year is gone. Mraz and Mac have kept us in every game they've played. Pretty much a keeper's job description.

Edit to add: Unfortunately our offense isn't doing its job. The minute Porter or Cliff or anybody else can explain to me the difference it would make in the standings to be losing 1-0 versus 3-0, I'll buy that it's a goalie problem. 

We can't score the puck, it's as simple as that.

Last in save %. Last in PK. Offense isn't last....

Offense has dried up partially because they are not playing as aggressive. That often happens when they lose confidence in the goalie and cheat back.

Edited by cclifford10

Isn't it possible we need scoring help?

Isn't possible we need goalkeeping help?

They may not be mutually exclusive. For me the immediate problem is scoring. It could work itself out with the roster we have but I wouldn't make book on it. I still think our biggest need is a third line center. That should be a scoring line. That should be a line that contributes with a center that can help our young gun put the puck in the net while giving him a little shelter as he learns.

I'm concerned with goalkeeping. I'm willing to give Darling a few more games. He hasn't been awful but he hasn't exactly been a shutdown keeper either. Mrazak has been good enough and so has McE but you can't keep both. If Darling can't step up we need to end the experiment and cut our losses (literally). If Darling can step up I think we will be ok. A few goals on our side of the scoreboard wouldn't hurt our goalies play with less pressure and gain more confidence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cclifford10 said:

Offense isn't last....

Look at it over the past four games and I'll betcha it is. If we'd won the other three of those four, we wouldn't even be talking about goaltending--and all three were winnable because our goaltending kept us in them.

You know it's bad when some argue that scoring is the problem, some argue that goaltending is the problem, some argue that PK is the problem, some argue that PP is the problem, and you're all right. 

• Like 3

Hard to argue any of this is worth arguing about:

PP #30

PK #28

Goals For: #26 (and that includes scoring 22 goals in the first 5 games)

Shots Against: #31

Goals against: #15

SAVE %: #28

• Like 1

On the plus side we are #1 in shots, and #4 in face-off wins. And...no, that's about it.

Something needs to change fast because the trajectory is ?

Don Waddell just summed up our start as "I think overall it's pretty positive." So there's that.

I'm just not up for trying to fix things so...

The good news:

We had a hot start, which means we can turn it around and still be on track. Things can change and hockey teams can get on rolls. We do get a lot of shots, and maybe they're a little better than last years shots, and maybe they start going in. And our PK seems to be maybe getting a little better. We have a lot of young guys who have talent and could suddenly put it together. And Charlotte is 10-1. And, right now that's about it.

The PK is going to be fine. But we need a second scoring line to have any prayer of having a good second PP unit. And when you only have one PP unit going (which even that, we don't at the moment) opposing PKs know they only need to shut one unit down.

Of course, we're making that easy to do. We are still mixing in way too many long shot/impatient plays when we have the extra man (we tried to spring Svech into the O zone last and did. One shot, his, and back down the ice. Why???).

There was a brief period last season where the PP clicked, and when it was, every pass and shot was one touch. We dust it off, we think about it, we pass it, we have no one breaking with speed into the slot let alone somebody parked in the keeper's lap. It's no different from what we do 5 v 5, DESPITE HAVING AN EXTRA GUY.

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

I'm concerned with goalkeeping. I'm willing to give Darling a few more games. He hasn't been awful but he hasn't exactly been a shutdown keeper either.

I'll disagree on the highlighted point after last night.  I think he has a major flaw in not getting his pads down on the ice.  All 3 goals went through the 5 hole and 2 specifically due to the pad not being down (the other was poor technique).  I find that worrisome and really hope he pans out, but know he won't unless that gets fixed.

I'm a little more optimistic about the team's future than the sound of several posts.  Hope I'm right.  Go Canes!