The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

If we're looking for a scorer maybe Dundon should go after Rick Nash; he can definitely finish on our awful PP.  He's still not signed by any team and find that surprising with the career that he's had (he has over 400 NHL goals and 40 goal seasons).  I don't know what his asking price would be but I'm sure since Dundon has no spent much (reading other posts on here) he'll be willing to do what he can to get Nash over here.  I was also thinking of going after Marian Gaborik but I found out he's with Ottawa (haven't seen him play so he must be injured?).  I am also now in the boat to get Nylander too because I know we're still in talks with Toronto to get him.

Once we get some more scorers on this team I have a feeling the goalies will perform better.  You know it's got to be hard on them lately knowing they basically have to do a shutout each game to help the team win since they can't score. 

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

3 minutes ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

If we're looking for a scorer maybe Dundon should go after Rick Nash; he can definitely finish on our awful PP.  He's still not signed by any team and find that surprising with the career that he's had (he has over 400 NHL goals and 40 goal seasons).  I don't know what his asking price would be but I'm sure since Dundon has no spent much (reading other posts on here) he'll be willing to do what he can to get Nash over here.  I was also thinking of going after Marian Gaborik but I found out he's with Ottawa (haven't seen him play so he must be injured?).  I am also now in the boat to get Nylander too because I know we're still in talks with Toronto to get him.

Once we get some more scorers on this team I have a feeling the goalies will perform better.  You know it's got to be hard on them lately knowing they basically have to do a shutout each game to help the team win since they can't score. 

I think if Rick comes back he is going to a contender 

Looking through my Crystal Ball, I think barring some last minute deal with Toronto, that William Nylander will be a Carolina Hurricane by the end of this month.  I think Nylander has to be beyond the point of no return on Toronto.  I feel like he's already sacrificed enough for that team, and I truly understand his frustration.  He's being asked to take less than everyone else around him while his other teammates will likely get what they want, he won't have any assurance that he won't get traded while knowing the team will be cash-strapped down the line, and they've bumped him off of his natural position.  And when you combined their scouts visiting us, our scouts visiting them, the constant rumors linking us to him, it all adds up.  Plus, we have been in discussions with Nylander's agent, and when you combine that with Friedman's "All In" report, you have to believe that GMDW is confident that he could get Nylander signed to a deal that wouldn't hurt us.

To me the biggest pro for Nylander being on the roster is what it will do for Svechnikov.  

The biggest con is how it will affect our future roster.  Let's just skip the salary ramifications for now.  I'm going under the assumption that he will be a center here.  That would give us Aho/Nylander/Staal as our top 3 centermen.  What happens to Rask when he inevitably returns?  Are we really going to be pay a 4th line center $4 million a year?  What about Necas?  I know part of the reason we're after Nylander is because Necas isn't where we thought he'd be, but he has to factor in our future you have to think.  And it would make me sick to my stomach to watch Pesce play for another team, let alone Toronto.  A large part of me wants to keep our D intact, but I think of how Nashville traded Seth Jones and NJ with Larrsson, and it would be hard to argue against that logic.

Now we can move to salary.  Assuming we sign Nylander at about 7.5, and Aho at 8.5 AAV.  Between the money we have allotted for defense, and our future needs to upgrade our goaltending, I don't see how our salary will look in the future.  Rask and Staal are tied up for another 3 and 4 years respectively, and they're a little redundant with Nylander on the team.  We'd probably have to give Rask away.  And TT and Ferland aren't going to be cheap.  I don't know.

Staal is not redundant. He’s big, wins face offs and kills penalties. Needs to score more, but with him that is a bonus. He has a different skill set from Nylander. At this point, I’m not sure Rask will ever be what we thought he might be. 

I agree that Rask is probably the odd man out. It's a shame, because we'd save more salary, lose an NTC, and have more scoring upside at 2C if Jordan would agree to waive, and I think there's no shortage of teams that would love to have him. Rask is a younger version of Jordan on a much better deal, and I have a feeling the kitchen mishap may be a blessing in disguise, in terms of giving his off-season rotator cuff surgery even more healing time. But Jordan has been a leader and a stud through very tough times, no question about it, and deserves to be here for the good stuff. 

As for Nash, no thank you. When a guy takes himself off the market to contemplate whether he still wants to play, I've got no need to contemplate whether I'd want him. 

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:16 PM, gocanes0506 said:

I’d expect Ferland to be a 4 yr 16 mil-18mil depending on his goal total.

Aho- 8 year, 64 million

Turbo- 6 year, 30-39 million depending on his points this season.

Fleury- 2 yr, 3 million bridge

Adding about 15 million in salary for those four. Of course, I’d bet we see a trade of 8.8 million from Rask & Faulk.

The addition of 6.2 million puts us at 53.2 million for next year.  We would have 3 forward positions open (2C, RW, LW) & 1 goalie spot. Decisions by the organization/ the individual will have to be made for/from Martinook & Williams.  

Leaves us plenty of room to make a big forward acquisition (wink, wink). 

11 hours ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

Now we can move to salary.  Assuming we sign Nylander at about 7.5, and Aho at 8.5 AAV.  Between the money we have allotted for defense, and our future needs to upgrade our goaltending, I don't see how our salary will look in the future.  Rask and Staal are tied up for another 3 and 4 years respectively, and they're a little redundant with Nylander on the team.  We'd probably have to give Rask away.  And TT and Ferland aren't going to be cheap.  I don't know.

I wrote the above a couple of days ago.

We currently sit at 47 million for next year.

We would add 22.5 million to that number based on the 4 raises above  and Nylander

We would lose ~4 million in a trade with Nylander (assuming Pesce/Faulk are the roster players moving)

We also have at least another 4 million in money to move with Rask.  Possible 8.8 if Pesce is the one that goes to Toronto and not Faulk. 

So assuming Rask, Pesce, and Faulk are all moved 12.8 million is moved out or adding 9.7 million to the current expected 47 million.  I'd bet we see an additional 2.6 million added to add Fox, Ned, and Necas to the roster.

FAT, Necas-Nylander-Svech, Foegele-Staal-McGinn, ???-Wallmark-???

Z

Slavin-Hamilton, De Haan- ???, Fleury-Fox

TVR

Darling????, Ned   

There are a bunch of veteran RHD on the market this offseason that I would go over to fill Pesce's spot.  Everyone will be clamoring over Karlsson and Myers while possible trying to get Trouba.  The entire TBL right side will be available, McQuaid, Lovejoy that could be brought in on reasonable 3 year deals (not lovejoy on 3 years) to give us a veteran defender.  Add 4-5 million

Offense: Bring Martinook back 1.5 to 2 million and we have one opening on the fourth line.

We are at 66.05 miliion

Now the big elephant in the room: Goalie.  We could buy out Darling his cap hit would go down to 1.18 million bring us to 63.25 million. Then who knows where we are after that? 

Edited by gocanes0506

12 hours ago, Manwolf said:

I'll disagree on the highlighted point after last night.  I think he has a major flaw in not getting his pads down on the ice.  All 3 goals went through the 5 hole and 2 specifically due to the pad not being down (the other was poor technique).  I find that worrisome and really hope he pans out, but know he won't unless that gets fixed.

I'm a little more optimistic about the team's future than the sound of several posts.  Hope I'm right.  Go Canes!

I'm not discounting weaknesses in Darlings game. I think in a few more games we will know if it shaking off the rust or his game.

As much as we have issues in goal that was totally known factor going in.  No chance to cover any of that weakness without offensive improvement(consistency). I am moving more to the Nylander angle to address this for now and the future. Prefer Faulk but if is takes Pesce. So be it.  Toronto used to make some stupid deals in their frantic bid to break the canadian cup drought just like Montreal.  With their current coach I don't expect that.  We will have to give to get and his move to another team IMO is at least 50/50.

We can debate goaltending til were blue in the face, these are our goalies this season. Nothing would change on that front until the deadline, no one deals starters and no one deals good backups until they want money.

If we can get Nylander, I think Brindy's gotta ask Rask how he feels about LW.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

I'm not discounting weaknesses in Darlings game. I think in a few more games we will know if it shaking off the rust or his game.

Well said. The people saying we need to do something at G, perhaps unwittingly, don't seem to recognize that Darling has played all of 2 games this year due to the injury, and that the fixes we all noticed in pre season (square to the puck, butterfly working nicely, no flailing) appear to have remained after the injury. We were not good in LV, but what really beat us was Fleury wanting his 50th career shutout, and Vegas in desperate need of a win before hitting the road.

A couple of desperation-driven wins for us in St. Louis and Chicago would be extremely well-timed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cc said:

As much as we have issues in goal that was totally known factor going in.  No chance to cover any of that weakness without offensive improvement(consistency). I am moving more to the Nylander angle to address this for now and the future. Prefer Faulk but if is takes Pesce. So be it.  Toronto used to make some stupid deals in their frantic bid to break the canadian cup drought just like Montreal.  With their current coach I don't expect that.  We will have to give to get and his move to another team IMO is at least 50/50.

I agree Nylander will be moved. I also think that GMs want the deal done while there is still time for it help get their team into a playoff spot by American Thanksgiving. I sure hope ours does.

I think the best bargaining approach would be to offer Pesce only if a deal is done by this Friday, and only if Nylander is already signed at a number our brain trust decides it can live with. Anytime after Friday and before the Dec. 1 deadline, they can have Faulk, a pick and a prospect - but must still have Nylander signed. Otherwise, they can take a flying leap.

Edited by top-shelf-1
grammar
  • Like 1

i agree. The key is having Nylander signed as part of the deal. I suspect we will offer a bridge deal if indeed we are trying to make the trade. We have the cap space. I wonder if LA firing their coach is an indication that they are out of the Nylander hunt.

Just now, OBXer said:

I suspect we will offer a bridge deal if indeed we are trying to make the trade.

I don't think Nylander will take a bridge deal, and that's why he's not playing. If he takes one here, he's in the same boat, just with a different team. And who knows re an NTC? 

That would be my deal killer, you can't deal Pesce for a bridge deal we'd be setting ourselves up for Skinner syndrome again. He get's to UFA and he's gonzo. If the best we can do is a bridge deal then the best I can do for him is prospects and picks.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I don't think Nylander will take a bridge deal, and that's why he's not playing. If he takes one here, he's in the same boat, just with a different team. And who knows re an NTC? 

You might be right. Rumor was the Leafs and Nylander were exploring a bridge deal as a possible compromise. I guess that hasn't gone well but if true he may be willing to explore it with us depending on money and term.  I wonder if the Matthews injury will put more pressure on Toronto to up their game in signing him. Then there is the rumor there may be a multi player deal being discussed with us.

So many moving parts I think it is anyone's guess what is likely or not likely to happen.,

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OBXer said:

i agree. The key is having Nylander signed as part of the deal. I suspect we will offer a bridge deal if indeed we are trying to make the trade. We have the cap space. I wonder if LA firing their coach is an indication that they are out of the Nylander hunt.

Id wager their are more than the 2 of us doing some sweet talking...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yeah if Nylander wanted to do a bridge deal, there’s no incentive to leave Toronto.

As far as NTC, I read somewhere that he isn’t eligible for a NTC of any sort, which is part of the contract feud.  His biggest concern is he’d not only have to take a pay cut, but he’d have no protection for future trades, and he’s the logical first person out when the team hits the inevitable cap ceiling.  So why take less money for a team that’s likely to trade you down the road?

Almost, and the key word is almost, (see Darling and HWSNBN) any player that is producing can be traded. If we pick up Nylander and he's "just" a 60 point guy and not worth the cash, and Necas and Svech et all become world beaters, just trade Nylander. Frankly it can often be done even with a NTC since eventually the player doesn't want to be where he isn't wanted, but for the most part, just don't hand out NTC's like candy and guys can always be traded.

We have the D to give too. It is simply a matter of Toronto getting to the point where they are ready to trade him, and us making the winning offer.

52 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

Yeah if Nylander wanted to do a bridge deal, there’s no incentive to leave Toronto.

As far as NTC, I read somewhere that he isn’t eligible for a NTC of any sort, which is part of the contract feud.  His biggest concern is he’d not only have to take a pay cut, but he’d have no protection for future trades, and he’s the logical first person out when the team hits the inevitable cap ceiling.  So why take less money for a team that’s likely to trade you down the road?

He would be eligible for an NTC within his next deal, assuming it is long enough to include the year(s) in which he is NTC-eligible (after seven accrued seasons). That's exactly what we did for Skinner. His current (6-year) contract was inked immediately after his ELC, so after its fourth year he became NTC eligible, and his (an NMC) covers the last two seasons of the deal.

Nylander is likely looking for the same kind of thing. At 3 million more a year. Which feels a WHOLE LOT to me like we risk repeating the mistake we made with Eric Staal.

Trading Skinner: Great move, brain trust. Great freakin' move. 

I still don’t understand how Skinner went from being in the discussion to be named captain of the team heading into last seasod...to becoming vilified as the reason that the team missed the playoffs for 9 years in a row.  Like he was the sole reason the team stunk.

the team should’ve ran someone else out of town.  Not one of the two players you had who is actually capable of scoring 40 goals a year.

24 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

I still don’t understand how Skinner went from being in the discussion to be named captain of the team heading into last seasod...to becoming vilified as the reason that the team missed the playoffs for 9 years in a row.  Like he was the sole reason the team stunk.

the team should’ve ran someone else out of town.  Not one of the two players you had who is actually capable of scoring 40 goals a year.

It was a salary dump.  Wake up people.  It's upsetting that the team might have actually been good wrih Skinner.  Not sure the De Haan signing would of happened then.  Pick your poison.  I like both players.  That Pu though...  elite.

Edited by bluedevil58